Intel Launches its Next-Gen Intel Optane 900p SSD

Hawx

Well, now we're talking. I'm still surprised they didn't debut the technology with something like this.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

11 hours ago, ARikozuM said:

Buying the ~500GB 900p on launch? Please keep the price around the 960 EVO, Intel. 

Keep dreaming. It destroys the 960 Pro for random which is where anyone that really cares about it is looking. If you want sequentials, get the Samsungs.

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

5 hours ago, hey_yo_ said:

Which makes me wonder when will AMD make their own M.2 NVME SSD? ?

I can't wait for the AMD 1080P.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

On 10/27/2017 at 6:24 AM, porina said:

Is the take away point meant to be the difference between those SSDs, particularly in game load times, is basically nothing? Without numbers on hand, I think we're in the ball park of 30MB/s for a budget branded SATA SSD, to maybe 50MB/s for a high end NVMe SSD, when it comes to QD1 random reads. The 32GB optane modules were in the hundreds. It may be questioned how much is due to sequential vs. random, but I'm willing to try this one out myself.

I don't play the game much, but when I've done testing with GTAV benchmark, there is a visible difference in dynamic loading stutter between cheap SATA SSDs and a 960 Evo. Right now I mostly game off SATA SSDs due to price and am wondering if that was suboptimal, should have got something faster. I don't have an unlimited budget, but the one in this thread is within reach for testing.

I'm thinking here... I also have the FFXIV:Stormblood benchmark, and I think that reports a load time value too. Some of my systems have multiple drives in them, so I could try running it off each and see what if any difference there is. That way system variables would be controlled also. For example, my main system has 1 AHCI, 2 different SATA SSDs, and one HD. My VR system has one NVMe, one SATA SSD.

I really don't know what to tell ya. Everything I've seen indicates very small differences between even the best and worst SSDs out there.

It is worth noting though that generally the reason might be these games are generally more tailored towards HDDs, I believe (more compressed stuff which requires better CPU, not storage).

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

1 minute ago, DocSwag said:

I really don't know what to tell ya. Everything I've seen indicates very small differences between even the best and worst SSDs out there.

It is worth noting though that generally the reason might be these games are generally more tailored towards HDDs, I believe (more compressed stuff which requires better CPU, not storage).

Since your previous post I have been benching away using FFXIV:Stormblood benchmark. This might seem obscure, but this is what I spend over 90% of my PC gaming time on and is what I want to optimise. This has been an interesting learning time... in the following results, I list the tested drive, capacity, total load time reported by benchmark, and CrystalDiskMark Q1 random read speed result.

SATA SSD

Sandisk SSD+ 480GB 17.7s 40.4MB/s

Sandisk Ultra II 960GB 18.2s 31.2MB/s

Crucial MX200 1TB 16.7s 29.3MB/s

Kingston SSDNow 240GB 20.2s 20.1MB/s

PCIe SSD

Samsung PM951 256GB 15.5s 45.8MB/s

Samsung SM951 512GB 14.3s 37.9MB/s (AHCI version, not NVMe)

Samsung Evo 960 500GB 30.6s 38.5MB/s (with unknown system problem)

Samsung Evo 960 500GB 16.9s 55.0MB/s (after installing FCU)

Samsung Evo 960 500GB 14.6s 55.0MB/s (overclock CPU to 4.3 GHz from stock 7800X)

HD

WD Blue 1TB 56.8s 0.55MB/s

The benchmark is about 2GB in size. For all of these except the HD, sustained transfers could shift that in seconds. Also note the benchmark specifically resets the system disk cache, so when re-running the bench it has to be reloaded. Early on I repeated the measurements several times in each configuration and saw only a small difference, of the magnitude of a couple % or so, so I didn't do repeats later on unless the results seemed suspect.

Roughly speaking, SATA SSDs are on average a bit slower than PCIe ones, which shouldn't be a big surprise. The question then is how much gain for how much speed. The correlation with measured random doesn't seem to be too strong, but I don't know how much balance there is between randoms, sequentials, and non-disk activities. Also each system had different CPUs which might also have some impact.

That would be an interesting exercise, the disk cache can be selected to NOT be wiped on re-runs. Reading out of cache (2GB will fit no problem in my ram) should then mostly indicate loading time due to non-disk related activities, like possible CPU decompressing stuff. I think I'll have to do that next. An alternative would be to create a ramdisk, which should be even better than Optane. I'll see how it goes.

BTW in case anyone is wondering why I listed the Evo 960 multiple times, the benchmark actually revealed a problem with the system I didn't know I have. Disk benchmarks showed sequential transfer rates were normal, but random was much lower than expected. I tried everything I could think of, and started another thread on it. The root cause was not found, but I was offered FCU on that system this morning, applied it, and since then speeds have been back up to expectations. Overclocking it also seemed to have helped, so that is showing some CPU contribution. I guess ideally I should run all the drives on the same system...

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

I think we're all forgetting that disks are accessed by games quite often and open-world games would see great benefits if they're sending a good number of files across their protocol.

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

1 hour ago, porina said:

Since your previous post I have been benching away using FFXIV:Stormblood benchmark. This might seem obscure, but this is what I spend over 90% of my PC gaming time on and is what I want to optimise. This has been an interesting learning time... in the following results, I list the tested drive, capacity, total load time reported by benchmark, and CrystalDiskMark Q1 random read speed result.

SATA SSD

Sandisk SSD+ 480GB 17.7s 40.4MB/s

Sandisk Ultra II 960GB 18.2s 31.2MB/s

Crucial MX200 1TB 16.7s 29.3MB/s

Kingston SSDNow 240GB 20.2s 20.1MB/s

PCIe SSD

Samsung PM951 256GB 15.5s 45.8MB/s

Samsung SM951 512GB 14.3s 37.9MB/s (AHCI version, not NVMe)

Samsung Evo 960 500GB 30.6s 38.5MB/s (with unknown system problem)

Samsung Evo 960 500GB 16.9s 55.0MB/s (after installing FCU)

Samsung Evo 960 500GB 14.6s 55.0MB/s (overclock CPU to 4.3 GHz from stock 7800X)

HD

WD Blue 1TB 56.8s 0.55MB/s

The benchmark is about 2GB in size. For all of these except the HD, sustained transfers could shift that in seconds. Also note the benchmark specifically resets the system disk cache, so when re-running the bench it has to be reloaded. Early on I repeated the measurements several times in each configuration and saw only a small difference, of the magnitude of a couple % or so, so I didn't do repeats later on unless the results seemed suspect.

Roughly speaking, SATA SSDs are on average a bit slower than PCIe ones, which shouldn't be a big surprise. The question then is how much gain for how much speed. The correlation with measured random doesn't seem to be too strong, but I don't know how much balance there is between randoms, sequentials, and non-disk activities. Also each system had different CPUs which might also have some impact.

That would be an interesting exercise, the disk cache can be selected to NOT be wiped on re-runs. Reading out of cache (2GB will fit no problem in my ram) should then mostly indicate loading time due to non-disk related activities, like possible CPU decompressing stuff. I think I'll have to do that next. An alternative would be to create a ramdisk, which should be even better than Optane. I'll see how it goes.

BTW in case anyone is wondering why I listed the Evo 960 multiple times, the benchmark actually revealed a problem with the system I didn't know I have. Disk benchmarks showed sequential transfer rates were normal, but random was much lower than expected. I tried everything I could think of, and started another thread on it. The root cause was not found, but I was offered FCU on that system this morning, applied it, and since then speeds have been back up to expectations. Overclocking it also seemed to have helped, so that is showing some CPU contribution. I guess ideally I should run all the drives on the same system...

So basically...

pcie ssds are faster than sata ones, but not by a huge margin. And the cpu is somewhat bottlenecking.

That's an interesting point. I guess you're right, optane may end up delivering better performance in real world scenarios... assuming the cpu doesn't bottleneck.

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

5 minutes ago, DocSwag said:

That's an interesting point. I guess you're right, optane may end up delivering better performance in real world scenarios... assuming the cpu doesn't bottleneck.

Still benching. If I enable persisting disk cache (system with 960 Evo) the reported load times goes down to 9.2s average of two runs. Running out of a ramdisk with cache wipe on start gave 9.9s. The ramdisk was pushing out numbers in CDM more like what I'd expect from the 900p, so that might be indicative. Is it worth it for a (potential) 30% reduction in load time?

It also shows a fast CPU helps too. I'll try it on my Coffee Lake system later as that's an easy 5 GHz.

In case anyone wants to point out that reads will be cached in normal use, the game client is on the ball park of 32GB last time I checked. I don't know how much of that I actually use in a typical session, but it would likely need a ram upgrade to make some impact, and that would also be costly.

So basically the Intel Optane 900p lasts longer than the Samsung 960 Pro?

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

10 minutes ago, hey_yo_ said:

So basically the Intel Optane 900p lasts longer than the Samsung 960 Pro?

Are you saying Intel is the better man? 

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 

17 minutes ago, ARikozuM said:

Are you saying Intel is the better man? 

Yup but the 960 Pro is cheaper and it's not like the 960 Pro is bad. It's actually one of the best.

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

12 hours ago, porina said:

-snip-

I had a thought then just as I was about to write the reply I realized it's unrealistic for most people to even test. I was going to say create a RAM disk and test with that since that is about best case as you're going to get, then you can compare between that and SATA SSD etc, but yea total RAM required to do it lol.

If I had a spare GPU I could test it out but I don't :(

So a Intel exclusive game item. There was another game that did something similar where the game enabled more features when it detects a Intel SSD. Forgot what that game was. Came out like 3-4 years ago.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

7 minutes ago, NumLock21 said:

So a Intel exclusive game item. There was another game that did something similar where the game enabled more features when it detects a Intel SSD. Forgot what that game was. Came out like 3-4 years ago.

Arizona Sunshine with i7

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

1 minute ago, ARikozuM said:

Arizona Sunshine with i7

That's another game with exclusive items or features? Well the game I saw wasn't that one. It was more cyberpunk/apocalyptic.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

10 minutes ago, NumLock21 said:

That's another game with exclusive items or features? Well the game I saw wasn't that one. It was more cyberpunk/apocalyptic.

I don't know then. The only exclusives that I know of is AS and some football VR exclusivity they had this year or last.

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

Just now, ARikozuM said:

I don't know then. The only exclusives that I know of is AS and some football VR exclusivity they had this year or last.

The only thing I remember with that game was, when it detects a HDD, then those jumbotron hanging on the building is turned off. When it detected a SSD, those jumbotrons are turned on and they start to animate. Intel promoted that feature is exclusive to their higher end 500 series SSD, but I have their 300 series SSD. I even went on to download that game demo to try it out to see if my Intel 300 series SSD will work and it does too. Can't find that game demo, must have delete it..

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

I wonder what thermals are like.  I know some existing high performance SSDs already get hot and this is on another level.  Then again, it's also a totally different tech so maybe it doesn't get hot the same way...

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

4 hours ago, NumLock21 said:

AMD gave out Star Citizen ships too. I got the one in the link below with some past promotion. Note the logo on the nose.

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/pledge/ships/mustang/Mustang-Omega

Holy f these drives are fast. Finally they are showing the potential of Xpoint. 

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

On 10/28/2017 at 10:11 AM, hey_yo_ said:

Which makes me wonder when will AMD make their own M.2 NVME SSD? ?

Why? Amd doesn't make memory. They've sold drives in the past. All it would be is a rebranded SSD from some OEM. 

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

Considering I haven't jumped on NVME myself, those drives look very appealing.

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

2 minutes ago, leadeater said:

AMD Intel OEM SSDs, I'd love to see that xD

Inb4 AMD becomes a second source for Intel SSDs, comes up with their own next gen tech that enables far higher bandwidth at similar latency, then pushes out a NVMe 9590 Pro.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.