DDR3 ram with a core i7-7700k

Guest DL__
Go to solution Solved by moltencrystal,

youd lose out on overclocking with the chipset, get a non k skew, and save the money. 

Id personally say try and sell your old system, either as parts or wholes, as ddr3 prices arnt too far off ddr4 in used amrkets, and for the future compatability would be worth it in my books

Hello everyone. To start,my goal is to do 4k gaming at stable 60fps max.I have a gtx 1080ti. But I need to upgrade my processor and motherboard.I want to go from an amd fx 9590 to a core i7-7700k. I have 32 gigabytes of 1866 mhz ddr3 crucial ballistix elite ram, but I found an intel motherboard that supports the i7-7700k and ddr3 ram. Will using DDR3 ram at that speed cause future titles to run poorly? Will it cause modern titles to run poorly? What instances will my ram speed affect my pc. All I want is a stable 60fps. Please help me. 

The motherboard I am talking about is https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIAD7H5EX6547

4 minutes ago, DL__ said:

Hello everyone. To start,my goal is to do 4k gaming at stable 60fps max.I have a gtx 1080ti. But I need to upgrade my processor and motherboard.I want to go from an amd fx 9590 to a core i7-7700k. I have 32 gigabytes of 1866 mhz ddr3 crucial ballistix elite ram, but I found an intel motherboard that supports the i7-7700k and ddr3 ram. Will using DDR3 ram at that speed cause future titles to run poorly? Will it cause modern titles to run poorly? What instances will my ram speed affect my pc. All I want is a stable 60fps. Please help me. 

The motherboard I am talking about is https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIAD7H5EX6547

I mean you probably want the i7-7700 because you can’t OC on that Chipset 

"(1) High Frame Rates (2) Ultra Graphics Settings (3) Cheap>>>>Choose only two" Chevaishr

https://myanimelist.net/profile/AnalCavity

PCPartPicker URL

https://pcpartpicker.com/b/bsJ8TW 

Correct. I am not looking for overclocking. But the question is the ram speed.

Just now, DL__ said:

Correct. I am not looking for overclocking.

You should live with the pain of ditching your current memory as you'll be capping for too much the processors potential by running it off DDR3... not to mention that Kaby Lake is compatible solely with a very specific DDR3-L memory, common DDR3 will result in dead components.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

1 minute ago, DL__ said:

Correct. I am not looking for overclocking. But the question is the ram speed.

I dont think you can even run DDR3 with KabyLake, so you won't have a working system.

Ok, #1: Skylake and Kabbylake do not support regular DDR3 memory. They support DDR3L memory, which is low profile ram for laptops and compact PCs. Just because that motherboard exists, doesn't mean anyone should use it. Best case scenario, the slower ram will slow down your system and cause lag spikes in games. Worst case scenario, it could actually damage The cpu. 

#2: The i7-7700k is an overclocking chip, but that motherboard does not support overclocking, so you would be stuck at stock speeds. You should either get a 7700 non-k, or get a Z270 motherboard.

It's not really as much of a matter of the speed of your games, its more of a fact that ddr3 and new skylake/kaby lake processors "technically" CAN use ddr3, but the problem with that is you need DDR3L ram, and it's more than likely that you have standard DDR3 ram. The reason being that the new processors are designed to use DDR4 which runs at a lower voltage, so using higher-voltage DDR3 could cause problems. This is why they're only compatible with DDR3L and not the standard DDR3, since the L variant runs at a lower voltage naturally. IMO I think Intel did this so that laptops could still use ddr3 but any desktop users should really stick to DDR4 unless you already own DDR3L dimms which I'm guessing you probably don't.

Meh some build specs...

Meh some inspirational quote meh...

youd lose out on overclocking with the chipset, get a non k skew, and save the money. 

Id personally say try and sell your old system, either as parts or wholes, as ddr3 prices arnt too far off ddr4 in used amrkets, and for the future compatability would be worth it in my books

13-132-579-09.jpg

Damn, thats so weird. Never seen a skylake mobo with only DDR3 ram slots....

Generally speaking, RAM speed doesnt impact gaming performance on the Intel side of CPU's, but I'm not sure about DDR3 vs DDR4 on the 7700k. I would assume it would be fine and stable. 

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

1 minute ago, Princess Cadence said:

You should live with the pain of ditching your current memory as you'll be capping for too much the processors potential by running it off DDR3... not to mention that Kaby Lake is compatible solely with a very specific DDR3-L memory, common DDR3 will result in dead components.

Agree.  Don't do it.

i7 4790k @4.7 | GTX 1070 Strix | Z97 Sabertooth | 32GB  DDR3 2400 mhz | Intel 750 SSD | Define R5 | Corsair K70 | Steel Series Rival | XB271, 1440p, IPS, 165hz | 5.1 Surround
PC Build

Desk Build

I found an intel motherboard that supports the i7-7700k and ddr3 ram.

wait ... WHAT ?

i did not know such a thing even existed !

but either way ... i'd keep using my DDR RAM if i can.

to me, the performance difference (if any) compared to using DDR4 would not be big enough to justify spending money on 32gb ram all over again when it can possibly be avoided 

Most of the boost in performance from haswell to skylake was due to the faster memory, so even if you can somehow use ddr3, you shouldn't. You can at least break even selling your 32GB ddr3 and buying 16gb ddr4

Primary: CPU Core i7-4790K  |  MOBO Gigabyte GA-B85M-D3H   |  RAM 24GB Crucial DDR3-1600 CL9  |  GPU XFX Radeon RX 580 GTS Black Edition  |  CPU Cooler Thermaltake Frio Silent 14  |  Case Cooler Master N400  |  PSU Corsair CXM 750 Watt |  Boot Drive 500GB Samsung 850 Evo  |  Storage 500GB WD Laptop HDD + 2TB Toshiba HDD + 250GB WD Laptop HDD + 250GB WD Laptop HDD + 4TB WD Blue HDD  |  Monitor Acer XG270HU  |  Secondary Monitor Nixeus VUE-24  |  Tertiary Monitor Sony SDM-HS53  |  OS Windows 10

Secondary: (down for maintenance) CPU Core 2 Quad Q9300  |  MOBO (Asus P5N-E arriving soon)  |  RAM 8GB DDR2-800  |  GPU Visiontek Radeon R9 270  | CPU Cooler Cooler Master Hyper T2  |  Case Rajintek Arcadia  |  PSU EVGA 500 BV  |  Boot Drive 240GB PNY SSD  |  Storage 120GB Seagate PATA HDD  |  Removable Drives Sony PATA DVD RW Drive + 3.5 inch Floppy Drive  |  Monitor HP S2031  |  OS Windows 10

So ddr4 is the only solution? Also what speed of ddr4 ram should I get for 4k 60fps  gaming that does not go past 60fps but will give me smooth game play?

If you can get the ddr3 stable @1.35volts, it’s totally safe, continued use at a higher voltage WILL kill the cpu, especially enthusiast ddr3 kits that run at 1.85 volts.

5 minutes ago, TVwazhere said:

RAM speed doesnt impact gaming performance on the Intel side of CPU's

It actually does, especially Skylake on, @MageTank has done enough lecturing on me about that regard already :P

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

1 minute ago, DL__ said:

So ddr4 is the only solution? Also what speed should I get for 4k 60fps  gaming that does not go past 60fps but will give me smooth game play?

Get ddr4, and get a different motherboard that that one. As far as speed goes, pretty much get the fastest you can afford, the faster the better with ram. Just make sure it's compatible with whatever motherboard you choose.

2 minutes ago, Brownfletching said:

Ok, #1: Skylake and Kabbylake do not support regular DDR3 memory. They support DDR3L memory, which is low profile ram for laptops and compact PCs.

you got that wrong - the L stands for "low voltage" not "low profile"

i have a pair of desktop sized DDR3L 1600 Ripjaws running in my brothers PC.

they look exactly like THIS:

20-231-445-02.jpg

and the look was the reason i bought them - my brother wanted a black and blue color theme so they run paired with a kit of DDR3 1333 ripjaws (because black heatspreaders) 

Ok sweet, now I can ascend to 4k gaming. Thanks

Just now, KenjiUmino said:

you got that wrong - the L stands for "low voltage" not "low profile"

i have a pair of desktop sized DDR3L 1600 Ripjaws running in my brothers PC.

they look exactly like THIS:

20-231-445-02.jpg

and the look was the reason i bought them - my brother wanted a black and blue color theme so they run paired with a kit of DDR3 1333 ripjaws (because black heatspreaders) 

You are correct, I typed too fast without proofreading lol. Basically, Skylake and newer can't safely supply enough voltage to DDR3 with it's much higher voltage requirements.

You'd be better off grabbing an 8600k, new motherboard, selling your RAM and buying new RAM as well.

Do you really need 32GB? Do you do a lot of video or photo work?

Welcome to the forum!

37 minutes ago, KenjiUmino said:

wait ... WHAT ?

i did not know such a thing even existed !

but either way ... i'd keep using my DDR RAM if i can.

to me, the performance difference (if any) compared to using DDR4 would not be big enough to justify spending money on 32gb ram all over again when it can possibly be avoided 

DDR3, if not low voltage, will cause harm to components. So his RAM would end up being detrimental to the system :P

It's a thing, but really, it shouldn't be.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

2 hours ago, dizmo said:

DDR3, if not low voltage, will cause harm to components. So his RAM would end up being detrimental to the system :P

It's a thing, but really, it shouldn't be.

It really won't. There is zero correlation between VDIMM and CPU's dying. Intel even acknowledges this in their whitesheets. Not only that, but we now have DDR4 kits running at 1.45v XMP, and some even as high as 1.5 (4600mhz XMP's). VDIMM is supplied by the board, to the ram, it does not come into contact with the CPU at all. The only voltages you need to concern yourself in regards to CPU and memory, is VCCIO (the electrical path in to and out of your IMC) and VCCSA (your IMC and PCIe subdomain voltage). Intel was against the use of fast DDR3 XMP kits due to how high they would set those two voltages, not VDIMM.

My (incomplete) memory overclocking guide: 

Does memory speed impact gaming performance? Click here to find out!

On 1/2/2017 at 9:32 PM, MageTank said:

Sometimes, we all need a little inspiration.