Not Turning off my mining pc

So ive decided to start mining some ethereum on my gaming pc as i did find that i get some profit from using it for mining.

but i will only be using it to mine when im doing my homeworks, when im not home or when im watching tv etc.. (so basically when im not gaming on it).

so its gonna pretty much stay turned on and working 24/7 (would probably turn it off like 2-3 hours a day to let it "rest" a bit).

will it actually hurt my pc? as this pc is pretty new and i worked 2 months for it, so dont want it to break or something.

tell me what you think.

thank you in advance.

PC parts naturally die. I have a PC from 2003 that has been used and not looked after, Its had an air compressor on it...I am fairly sure that someone took a vacuum to it once. The main PC still works to this day. Its never had a TIM change either. The HDD in it died but that down to the fact I dropped it...oops. 

I would say its fine. But other might say differently. As long as its cooled and powered properly/well then it should be ok. There is no guarantee as I have had PC parts just randomly die. The other day the RAID card in my home server just stopped.....I still don't know why. 

Have you tried turning it off and on again?

2 minutes ago, fixitnow said:

PC parts naturally die. I have a PC from 2003 that has been used and not looked after, Its had an air compressor on it...I am fairly sure that someone took a vacuum to it once. The main PC still works to this day. Its never had a TIM change either. The HDD in it died but that down to the fact I dropped it...oops. 

I would say its fine. But other might say differently. As long as its cooled and powered properly/well then it should be ok. There is no guarantee as I have had PC parts just randomly die. The other day the RAID card in my home server just stopped.....I still don't know why. 

alright thank you,

and ya it does have pretty good cooling, ambient temp is 25C outside the case,

and the gpu only gets to like 65 max while mining, and i got 3 fans in the case, 2 intake 1 exhaust

Just now, Versti said:

alright thank you,

and ya it does have pretty good cooling, ambient temp is 25C outside the case,

and the gpu only gets to like 65 max while mining, and i got 3 fans in the case, 2 intake 1 exhaust

You should be fine then. Just keep an eye on the temps. As long as the PSU is reliable then it should be fine. 

Just now, fixitnow said:

You should be fine then. Just keep an eye on the temps. As long as the PSU is reliable then it should be fine. 

yeah, been using it for gaming for few weeks by now while cpu and gpu are overclocked and stress tested them both.

thank you for your help,

i do really appreciate it <3

Just now, Versti said:

yeah, been using it for gaming for few weeks by now while cpu and gpu are overclocked and stress tested them both.

thank you for your help,

i do really appreciate it <3

No problem mate! Thats what I am on this forum for! ;) 

18 minutes ago, Versti said:

So ive decided to start mining some ethereum on my gaming pc as i did find that i get some profit from using it for mining.

but i will only be using it to mine when im doing my homeworks, when im not home or when im watching tv etc.. (so basically when im not gaming on it).

so its gonna pretty much stay turned on and working 24/7 (would probably turn it off like 2-3 hours a day to let it "rest" a bit).

will it actually hurt my pc? as this pc is pretty new and i worked 2 months for it, so dont want it to break or something.

tell me what you think.

thank you in advance.

I'll put it this way. Mining pushes GPUs to their max. It's basically like gaming 24/7. It reduces the lifespam of your system. Just like with a car. Drive it only when necessary and don't put a lot of miles on it, it will last longer. Drive it 200miles every day, and it'll die a lot sooner. 

Parts wear off.. GPUs die. PCs die. 

If you bought a GPU from a guy who mined with it for a year straight.. that GPU would probably have 3-4 years worth of heavy gaming on it. If you know what I mean.

1 minute ago, Light-Yagami said:

I'll put it this way. Mining pushes GPUs to their max. It's basically like gaming 24/7. It reduces the lifespam of your system. Just like with a car. Drive it only when necessary and don't put a lot of miles on it, it will last longer. Drive it 200miles every day, and it'll die a lot sooner. 

Parts wear off.. GPUs die. PCs die. 

If you bought a GPU from a guy who mined with it for a year straight.. that GPU would probably have 3-4 years worth of heavy gaming on it. If you know what I mean.

alright, thanks for putting it in perspective,

will take it in mind.

1 minute ago, Versti said:

alright, thanks for putting it in perspective,

will take it in mind.

no problem.

Average mining card lifespam is anywhere from 2-4 years, but no more (10+ years worth of gaming). That says a lot

And I know that from miners who're in the business for years now and have some sort of experience..

Correct me if I'm wrong

22 hours ago, Light-Yagami said:

Sorry to say, no, mining does not push to max.  You want max, you make a GPU do PrimeGrid, E@H, and other BOINC projects 24/7.  It will make your computer a literal space heater.  E@H configured to run two WUs on one GPU will really test stability on a card big time.

If someone going to do mining properly, the individual is going to undervolt or/plus lower TDP % to control perf/watts and lower temperatures.  People need to do research before doing any mining.  Otherwise, individuals are just wasting the potential of the card and electricity if they leave the cards on default or do some stupid full throttle overclocking.

I currently have two 1070s doing mining.  And both are on air with TDP set at 75% with a undervolt.  No max fan speed either.  Both cards happily around 55-60C.  Heck, don't people around here keep asking if 65-75C or higher while gaming with air cooling is safe?

2023 BOINC Pentathlon Event

F@H & BOINC Installation on Linux Guide

My CPU Army: 5800X, E5-2670V3, 1950X, 5960X J Batch, 10750H *lappy

My GPU Army:3080Ti, 960 FTW @ 1551MHz, RTX 2070 Max-Q *lappy

My Console Brigade: Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, PS2 Fatty, Xbox One S, Xbox One X

My Tablet Squad: iPad Air 5th Gen, Samsung Tab S, Nexus 7 (1st gen)

3D Printer Unit: Prusa MK3S, Prusa Mini, EPAX E10

VR Headset: Quest 2

Hardware lost to Kevdog's Law of Folding

OG Titan, 5960X, ThermalTake BlackWidow 850 Watt PSU

On 10/14/2017 at 6:31 PM, Versti said:

tell me what you think.

thank you in advance.

There are 2 ways to maximize your pc's life:

• Never turn it on.
  • Never turn it off and always have it working hard.

The first one is not practical. The second one seems counterintuitive. What actually kills electronic components most of the time is physical damage caused by stresses when the material expands when it heats up and contracts when it cools down. If you can always keep things hot or always cold they will last longest. That's why many industrial computing gear, even tough it runs smoking hot in a closed cabinet, lasts so long. It's always on, always hot, no thermal cycles.

the only part at risk in your system would be the gpu. But very minimal risk. Keep it cool, dont max out the fans and keep it under 65 degrees and you will be fine. Its a fun hobby i would encourage anyone to try it. Building up a little stockpile of bitcoin in a few months to start investing or trading in crypto's can also be a fun adventure.