Forget netflix! Hulu drops pricing on paid tiers with commercials for new and returning customers

AlTech

Hulu has dropped the pricing of their paid tier which includes Commercials.

it used to cost $7.99 per month but now only costs $5.99 per month for 1 year. After 1 year of paying $5.99 per month, users will go back to paying $7.99 per month.

akrales170810_1743_0037.0.jpg

After the first year at $5.99 per month, Hulu subscribers will be bumped up to $7.99. As Variety points out, Hulu offered a similar deal for new subscribers last fall.

Last month, Hulu announced that it had budgeted around $2.5 billion for original programming in 2017. Hulu’s biggest breakout original so far is The Handmaid’s Tale, which won the streaming service its first Emmy (and several Emmys) last month. But the company has more originals on the way, including a Stephen King anthology series with J.J. Abrams attached to executive produce. As for non-original content, Hulu recently added a slew of hugely popular sitcoms, like How I Met Your Mother, M*A*S*H, and Glee.

So yeah, thanks Hulu but no thanks cos it's not really gonna cost a whole lot less in the long term. I'm not really sure why they're doing this to be honest.

Source:

https://www.theverge.com/2017/10/9/16448960/hulu-price-drop-netflix-commercials

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

The commercial time got ridiculous that my dad canceled. It use to be a 30-60 sec ad per TV show. it got to 2 90 sec ad spots per TV show. and he is paying $8 a month. Hulu is also owned by a cable company to I do not want to support them.

I find Netflix and Amazon Prime to be better.

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

Yeah but if this is to be cheaper then netflix as they raised there prices, Umm maybe Give a deal on the no commercial one... $5.99 isnt bad if someone who doesnt have cable can use it for a while then cancel.  but as someone who can afford the extra few dollars its a complete no go. I also dont use hulu anyhow 

1 minute ago, The Benjamins said:

The commercial time got ridiculous that my dad canceled. It use to be a 30-60 sec ad per TV show. it got to 2 90 sec ad spots per TV show. and he is paying $8 a month. Hulu is also owned by a cable company to I do not want to support them.

Some airlines recently started adding ADs before movies in airplanes.

Does that mean people should stop flying?

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

Just now, AluminiumTech said:

I don't buy a plane Ticket to watch a movie.

The issue is that when he started pay he got no ADs, then they added ADs, and they kept increasing AD time, it makes it feel like you are paying for nothing. and due to all the ADs he barley used it, would rather find it on Netflix or Amazon or buy it on apple TV.

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

9 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

He is saying they Tripled the Commercials during his time of using it. It being a huge part of the Hulu subscription i could see that being a reason to cancel. Seeing as there's only two parts of hulu is Show and the commercial this is NO where near your comparison. the tv on a plane is a small tiny add on convince to flying and in 2017 with tablets smartphones and ultrabooks theres very little need for the tv anyhow on the plane. 

A more proper comparison would be if they scheduled 3-4 Layovers while your use to 1 yeah maybe then youd stop flying that airline

5 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

yes

No it just means they have less reason to pay for that gimmick. As in flight wifi gets better it'll be harder to sell that kind of stuff. Oh well. Especially for domestic flights, there's alternative ways of travelling. Like driving.

a Moo Floof connoisseur and curator.

:x@handymanshandle x @pinksnowbirdie || Jake x Brendan :x
Youtube Audio Normalization

40 minutes ago, michaelocarroll007 said:

He is saying they Tripled the Commercials during his time of using it. It being a huge part of the Hulu subscription i could see that being a reason to cancel. Seeing as there's only two parts of hulu is Show and the commercial this is NO where near your comparison. the tv on a plane is a small tiny add on convince to flying and in 2017 with tablets smartphones and ultrabooks theres very little need for the tv anyhow on the plane. 

A more proper comparison would be if they scheduled 3-4 Layovers while your use to 1 yeah maybe then youd stop flying that airline

Or if you fly United, they used to only violently roust and concuss one passenger every 10 flights off the plane. Then it went to once per flight, and then it went to 3 times per flight.

Good for me - I downloaded the Hulu app, got the one-month commercial-free free trial, so I could watch Rick and Morty. Cancelling as soon as I'm done with the 21 episodes. No other reason for me to have Hulu, it's a total rip-off anyways.

I used to be quite active here.

Unfortunately the service still not accessible in my region (outside USA). I tried registering and paying for the subscription but it asked for a US zip code :(. I could ented a fake code but i'm not sure if i can bypass their geoblock.

I had Hulu up till about two weeks ago when their billing system tried to bill us 11 times in a row. Their response for trying to overbill me horrendously? "We have refunded the erroneous charges. Sorry, it wont happen again!" Which it did 3 more times in a row. Id be very wary about using their services until that is sorted. 

Lets play connect the dots!

::::::::::

Maybe I'm too naive to see why anyone would pay a subscription fee that still gives you commercials.

50 minutes ago, GooDBoY920 said:

Unfortunately the service still not accessible in my region (outside USA). I tried registering and paying for the subscription but it asked for a US zip code :(. I could ented a fake code but i'm not sure if i can bypass their geoblock.

You can probably get around this with a VPN.

Why would I pay for something that's full of ads? I'm legit puzzled. I thought the entire point of these kinds of services was that you pay to be rid of all that...

Anyone who tells you that you can't do something is unimaginative and probably a coward.

Sorry Hulu, but if you can't provide a commercial-free experience on subscription and the ability to download content to view later off data, you're the Sprint of streaming.

45 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

Maybe I'm too naive to see why anyone would pay a subscription fee that still gives you commercials

30 minutes ago, Alariel said:

Why would I pay for something that's full of ads? I'm legit puzzled. I thought the entire point of these kinds of services was that you pay to be rid of all that...

Pay wall. Somewhere around 75% of my watch list requires the subscription.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

2 minutes ago, rawrdaysgoby said:

Wow you have to watch commercials and pay?!?!

Yes......$6-$10/month is perfectly reasonable to pay for access to a ton of currently airing shows. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

1 minute ago, djdwosk97 said:

Yes......$6-$10/month is perfectly reasonable to pay for access to a ton of currently airing shows. 

I wouldn't know I stopped watching TV for a LONG time now

15 hours ago, AluminiumTech said:

The in-flight movies were literally the only reason I flew anywhere.  I spend $3000 a month on round trips.

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440