Turns out am2 cpus aren't soldered...

So i was delidding my old cpus i have lying around today, for practicing cpu die deprocessing.
I was working on a brisbane athlon 64 x2 4000+ ( 2.1ghz, 65nm) and noticed that the lid was popping off way too easily ( i was expecting it to stay on after cutting through the gasket with a blade, but it fell off pretty much on its own). Usually, a soldered cpu requires to be heated in order for the lid to pop off.

Up until now, i was under the impression that all intel cpus before sandy bridge and basically all amd chips were soldered.
As it turns out, the practice is way older, as this chip dates back to 2006.
The chip is fairly small, at 118mm2, which would explain this.

I'm still pretty sure am2  compatible cpus, such as the k10-based cpus are soldered, and I'm not sure how many native am2 dies were used.

IMG_20171006_154100.thumb.jpg.2d96cc1703b4ca9cb5916d66c2ff4c03.jpg

IMG_20171006_154117.thumb.jpg.61ceee988faa6034057a5e1d0be80771.jpg

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

i have P4s from around 2000-2002 that are pasted, its older then what you found

*edit*

i should clarefy, these are PGA 478 chips and out of the four i have delided one was soldered and 3 pasted

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

Wish I still kept my Athlon LE-1640 chip. I'd have liked to try and pull that sucker apart. I guess people have been barking up the wrong tree, or AMD just didn't feel the need to solder this CPU because of its thermals or how it wouldn't benefit from anything if you tried overclocking it.

"The only thing that matters right now is that you're here, and you're safe."

The heck is CPU die deprocessing??

Are you trying to say "delidding"?

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

20 minutes ago, Hiitchy said:

Wish I still kept my Athlon LE-1640 chip. I'd have liked to try and pull that sucker apart. I guess people have been barking up the wrong tree, or AMD just didn't feel the need to solder this CPU because of its thermals or how it wouldn't benefit from anything if you tried overclocking it.

This was one of the late athlon 64's, meant for budget systems ( msrp under 200$, this one was pulled from an hp compaq machin).

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

Just now, Enderman said:

The heck is CPU die deprocessing??

Are you trying to say "delidding"?

No. I'm trying to make a Keychain, and to do so i have to physically remove the die from the package substrate.

2 minutes ago, Coaxialgamer said:

No. I'm trying to make a Keychain, and to do so i have to physically remove the die from the package substrate.

You mean separate the die from the PCB?

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Just now, Enderman said:

You mean separate the die from the PCB?

Yeah. I'm trying to make one of these suckers. It worked, and i currently have the die seperated.

images.jpeg

6 minutes ago, Coaxialgamer said:

Yeah. I'm trying to make one of these suckers. It worked, and i currently have the die seperated.

images.jpeg

goodluck trying to cut it off i recommend heatgun xD

(◑‿◐)

1 minute ago, Valkyrie Lenneth said:

goodluck trying to cut it off i recommend heatgun xD

I already have, using a gas burner. I going to need high grit sandpaper and some acrylic though. The rest should be easy. 

4 minutes ago, Coaxialgamer said:

I already have, using a gas burner. I going to need high grit sandpaper and some acrylic though. The rest should be easy. 

dont melt it to shit tho lol xD it can also turn black xD

(◑‿◐)

15 minutes ago, Coaxialgamer said:

are these CPUs broken or are you purposely destroying perfectly working equippment there?

6 minutes ago, Valkyrie Lenneth said:

dont melt it to shit tho lol xD it can also turn black xD

That's why I'm practicing :). The first p3 i did caught fire and cracked. 

3 minutes ago, KenjiUmino said:

are these CPUs broken or are you purposely destroying perfectly working equippment there?

What exactly does working entail here? /jk. 

These cpus do work, but they're worth pennies. They're also too slow to be useful. Trust me, i had to spend 2 months using it as my main pc. Although it doesn't actually matter for what I'm doing here. 

2 minutes ago, Coaxialgamer said:

These cpus do work, but they're worth pennies. They're also too slow to be useful. Trust me, i had to spend 2 months using it as my main pc. 

i bet even tetris lagged on a gameboy emulator

(◑‿◐)

7 minutes ago, Coaxialgamer said:

These cpus do work, but they're worth pennies. They're also too slow to be useful. 

i'd give them away for free ... you know ... one mans trash ............ 

nah, jokes aside ... these keychain thingies look damn cool, i want one

2 minutes ago, KenjiUmino said:

i'd give them away for free ... you know ... one mans trash ............ 

nah, jokes aside ... these keychain thingies look damn cool, i want one

I'll eventually be making a guide on how to do so on the forum, so stay tuned i guess. 

Though right now, this is practice. These athlon 64 x2s have no historical significance. They were used as budget, stopgap solutions until phenom/k10 arrived. 

4 minutes ago, Coaxialgamer said:

Though right now, this is practice. These athlon 64 x2s have no historical significance. They were used as budget, stopgap solutions until phenom/k10 arrived. 

not very familiar with these CPUs ... skipped like a decade of AMD history - last AMD chip i bought for myself was socket 939 - build some AM2 systems for friends and family tho. athlon x2 5000 'n stuff but didn't bother using them myself.

i just put all the parts together, POST, windows installation, bye

\

3 hours ago, Coaxialgamer said:

Some of the low cost semprons and such are also pasted during that area they actually overclock like really well too with proper cooling

The Vinyl Decal guy.

Celestial-Uprising  A Work In-Progress

• 5 months later...
On 10/6/2017 at 7:55 AM, Coaxialgamer said:

So i was delidding my old cpus i have lying around today, for practicing cpu die deprocessing.
I was working on a brisbane athlon 64 x2 4000+ ( 2.1ghz, 65nm) and noticed that the lid was popping off way too easily ( i was expecting it to stay on after cutting through the gasket with a blade, but it fell off pretty much on its own). Usually, a soldered cpu requires to be heated in order for the lid to pop off.

Up until now, i was under the impression that all intel cpus before sandy bridge and basically all amd chips were soldered.
As it turns out, the practice is way older, as this chip dates back to 2006.
The chip is fairly small, at 118mm2, which would explain this.

I'm still pretty sure am2  compatible cpus, such as the k10-based cpus are soldered, and I'm not sure how many native am2 dies were used.

IMG_20171006_154100.thumb.jpg.2d96cc1703b4ca9cb5916d66c2ff4c03.jpg

IMG_20171006_154117.thumb.jpg.61ceee988faa6034057a5e1d0be80771.jpg

I delidded my sempron LE 1250 it too 

waspasted 

20180327_211840.jpg

5 hours ago, KarathKasun said:

Intel 1st gen core series (LGA 1366 & LGA 1156) also used paste under the lid.

No they didn't 

6 hours ago, Coaxialgamer said:

No they didn't 

Yeah they did.  Maybe not all of them, but just recently Ive seen an X series from that gen delidded w/o solder under it.  Looks like this video may be showing soldered CPU's, but its gotta be really soft because he isnt using heat.

5 hours ago, KarathKasun said:

Yeah they did.  Maybe not all of them, but just recently Ive seen an X series from that gen delidded w/o solder under it.  Looks like this video may be showing soldered CPU's, but its gotta be really soft because he isnt using heat.

I don't know about that video specifically , but it's possible he just heated it  up off camera.

He even confirms that the cpu is soldered , not pasted , and that aligns with every other source i've found