General Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Discussion

Go to solution Solved by GrockleTD,

image.jpeg.b8411fead9bfaea71c078608c4627778.jpeg

3 minutes ago, barria said:

tryed that its not helping me out also i tryed older bios version not working it simply says 4/8 cpu WTF anyone can help please  here xeon lists as supported motherboard and mine is there ....

Are any of your socket pins bent?

⬇ - PC specs down below - ⬇

The Impossibox

CPU: (x2) Xeon X5690 12c/24t (6c/12t per cpu)

Motherboard: EVGA Super Record 2 (SR-2)

RAM: 48Gb (12x4gb) server DDR3 ECC

GPU: MSI GTX 1060 Gaming X 6GB

Case: Modded Lian-LI PC-08

Storage: Samsung 850 EVO 500Gb and a 2Tb HDD

PSU: 1000W something or other I forget

Display(s): 24" Acer G246HL

Cooling: (x2) Corsair H100i v2

Keyboard: Corsair Gaming K70 LUX RGB MX Browns

Mouse: Logitech G600

Headphones: Sennheiser HD558

Operating System: Windows 10 Pro

Folding info so I don't lose it: 

WhisperingKnickers

Join us on the x58 page it is awesome!

x58 Fan Page

omg this solved my problem jezus 

Win+R
Type msconfig in the Run dialog
Hit Enter
Go to the Boot Tab
Click Advanced Options...
Make sure there is no check in the box next to Number of Processors:

2 minutes ago, barria said:

omg this solved my problem jezus 

Win+R
Type msconfig in the Run dialog
Hit Enter
Go to the Boot Tab
Click Advanced Options...
Make sure there is no check in the box next to Number of Processors:

Nice, glad you were able to get it working

The Impossibox

WhisperingKnickers

x58 Fan Page

Ended up taking the entire system apart tonight, for some reason i'm having issues with the NB/VRM heatsink getting hot as all heck all of a sudden, decided to do some cable management while i was in here with the new @cablemod extensions, also moved the radiator from the rear of the case to the front of the case. Put new thermal paste on the NB heatsink, and now having issues with CPU heat as well, touching 100C @ 1.4V where as before it would only net 81-82C, also the rear fan on my 1050ti is dead as well, so I quit for the day. Going to keep the 1060 3gb in the system i guess, and figure out the CPU/NB heat issue (which wasnt a problem 2 days ago with all the same settings, but this AM i could smell something "hot", remove side panel and yeah the heatsink is hot as-f.)

20180328_024014.jpg

20180328_025433.jpg

oof.... think new thermal pads on the heatsink would help?

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

2 hours ago, Zando Bob said:

oof.... think new thermal pads on the heatsink would help?

thermal pads are good, i took the heatsinks off yesterday and did the paste/pads.   I know i have an airflow issue in this P400  case, or atleast i suspect i do. Going to play around with fans and airflow. Right now i reset the bios to stock settings no overclock, going to let the system run for 24hrs and see what the temps look like before applying some mild overclocks and watching the temps. Might be that the board is having a hard time more with the VRM than the north bridge, but its all 1 heatsink, so not sure where the source of the heat is coming from, 130w cpu might be too much for this board, or the NB freq/voltage is too much.

from all the info i can find from some of the forums, the ASUS heatsink is shit for passive cooling, and the boards came with vrm fans when they were new for people using watercooling like these https://www.ebay.com/itm/Lot-of-2-ASUS-P6X58D-PREMIUM-P5Q-E-M4A79T-DELUXE-Heatpipe-VRM-Optional-Fan-/161076373578, I dont really care for the looks of those, so i'm going to try using either a Swiftec or Evercool NB cooler only i'm going to keep the stock ASUS heatpipe setup, and remove the heatsink from the copper NB block on the factory asus board, and then attach one of these to the copper ASUS heatpipe block with some thermal paste just like a CPU. might take some screwing around to make it work, but worth it in the end IMHO (esp saying i have two of these boards now) 

http://www.performance-pcs.com/evercool-serpent-northbridge-chip-cooler.html#Details

http://www.performance-pcs.com/swifttech-mcx159-p-series-chipset-heatsinks-for-amdr-intelr-motherboards.html

Most people would say i'm wasting my time, but I could smell that fatal "hot" electronics smell from this board the other day, and with my calibrated hand i'd say the NB Heatsink assembly was easily 170-180*F and the hottest thing in the case so.

5 minutes ago, FlatBrokeRacing said:

from all the info i can find from some of the forums, the ASUS heatsink is shit for passive cooling, and the boards came with vrm fans when they were new for people using watercooling like these https://www.ebay.com/itm/Lot-of-2-ASUS-P6X58D-PREMIUM-P5Q-E-M4A79T-DELUXE-Heatpipe-VRM-Optional-Fan-/161076373578, I dont really care for the looks of those, so i'm going to try using either a Swiftec or Evercool NB cooler only i'm going to keep the stock ASUS heatpipe setup, and remove the heatsink from the copper NB block on the factory asus board, and then attach one of these to the copper ASUS heatpipe block with some thermal paste just like a CPU. might take some screwing around to make it work, but worth it in the end IMHO (esp saying i have two of these boards now) 

http://www.performance-pcs.com/evercool-serpent-northbridge-chip-cooler.html#Details

http://www.performance-pcs.com/swifttech-mcx159-p-series-chipset-heatsinks-for-amdr-intelr-motherboards.html

Most people would say i'm wasting my time, but I could smell that fatal "hot" electronics smell from this board the other day, and with my calibrated hand i'd say the NB Heatsink assembly was easily 170-180*F and the hottest thing in the case so.

Yeah don't ignore that smell, I have smelled it before and I have had issues for ignoring it

The Impossibox

WhisperingKnickers

x58 Fan Page

Just put a fan on top of the nb and vrm heatsinks

140 mm fan ziptied vertically to the top panel will do the job

CPU: i7 8700K OC 5.0 gHz, Motherboard: Asus Maximus VIII Hero (Z170), RAM: 32gb Corsair Vengeance RGB 3200 mHz, GPU: Asus Strix OC gtx 1080ti, Storage: Samsung 950pro 500gb, samsung 860evo 500gb, 2x2Tb + 6Tb HDD,Case: Lian Li PC O11 dynamic, Cooling: Very custom loop.

CPU: i7 8700K, Motherboard Asus z390i, RAM:32gb g.skill RGB 3200, GPU: EVGA Gtx 1080ti SC Black, Storage: samsung 960evo 500gb, samsung 860evo 1tb (M.2) Case: lian li q37. Cooling: on the way to get watercooled (EKWB, HWlabs, Noctua, Barrow)

CPU: i7 9400F, Motherboard: Z170i pro gaming, RAM: 16gb Corsair Vengeance RGB 3200 mHz, GPU: Sapphire Vega56 pulse with Bykski waterblock, Storage: wd blue 500gb (windows) Samsung 860evo 500Gb (MacOS), PSU Corsair sf600 Case: Motif Monument aluminium replica, Cooling: Custom water cooling loop

26 minutes ago, MaratM said:

Just put a fan on top of the nb and vrm heatsinks

140 mm fan ziptied vertically to the top panel will do the job

too janky for my liking. I want to see if i can modify a small cpu style NB cooler to attach to the Motherboard heatpipe setup and put some temp probes on it to see what actually happens with temps pre and post modification. Plus its a hobby of mine to dick around with machining/fabricobbling stuff together to test/try. 

1 hour ago, FlatBrokeRacing said:

too janky for my liking. I want to see if i can modify a small cpu style NB cooler to attach to the Motherboard heatpipe setup and put some temp probes on it to see what actually happens with temps pre and post modification. Plus its a hobby of mine to dick around with machining/fabricobbling stuff together to test/try. 

I've just ordored 2 universal NB blocks from aliexpress and managed to get a set of waterblocks for Asus rampage 2

I'll try to get my P6T fully watercooled, it is going to be a fun little project

CPU: i7 8700K OC 5.0 gHz, Motherboard: Asus Maximus VIII Hero (Z170), RAM: 32gb Corsair Vengeance RGB 3200 mHz, GPU: Asus Strix OC gtx 1080ti, Storage: Samsung 950pro 500gb, samsung 860evo 500gb, 2x2Tb + 6Tb HDD,Case: Lian Li PC O11 dynamic, Cooling: Very custom loop.

CPU: i7 8700K, Motherboard Asus z390i, RAM:32gb g.skill RGB 3200, GPU: EVGA Gtx 1080ti SC Black, Storage: samsung 960evo 500gb, samsung 860evo 1tb (M.2) Case: lian li q37. Cooling: on the way to get watercooled (EKWB, HWlabs, Noctua, Barrow)

CPU: i7 9400F, Motherboard: Z170i pro gaming, RAM: 16gb Corsair Vengeance RGB 3200 mHz, GPU: Sapphire Vega56 pulse with Bykski waterblock, Storage: wd blue 500gb (windows) Samsung 860evo 500Gb (MacOS), PSU Corsair sf600 Case: Motif Monument aluminium replica, Cooling: Custom water cooling loop

Got the 60mm Serpent NB cooler today from Performance PC's, it was super simple to attach, just remove the stock heatsink (2 screws) from the copper heatpipe/block assembly on the motherboard, and then screw it in place using stock hardware and some MX4 thermal compound. So far gotta say i am impressed. I can touch the heatpipe setup and it is MUCH cooler while under load and overclocked. And well it has a red fan on it so hey i cant complain haha. 

I also have one other cooler to try, its a 40mm setup that will fit alittle nicer (this one is about 7/16"-1/2" away from the GPU). I have another motherboard coming so i'll try a few different setups. I'd love to find a universal waterblock setup for this, but have no plans on spending the money on a custom loop for an old girl like this. 

20180329_213205.jpg

Anybody can enlighten me on that M.2 on X58 thing that was discussed here a few months ago? 

I was thinking about picking up a 250GB WD Blue with the money i got from selling some stuff over at Mercado Livre, but i'm not sure how to get it working on my UD7, other than buying the PCI-e adapter.

Project Diesel 5.0: Motherboard: ASRock Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming /// CPU: Ryzen 5 3600X  /// CPU Cooler: Scythe Ninja 5 /// GPU: Zotac AMP Extreme RTX 2070 /// RAM: 2x 16gb G.Skill Ripjaws V @3200mhz /// Chassis: Lian Li Lancool One Digital (black) /// PSU: Super Flower Leadex III 750w /// Storage: Inland Premium 1TB NVME + Toshiba X300 4TB

Peripherals: Mice: Cooler Master MM720 /// Keyboard: Corsair K70 MK2 SE (Cherry Silver), Blitzwolf BW-KB1 (Gateron Reds) /// Monitor: Acer XZ320Q 32' (VA, 1080p @240hz) /// AMP: Topping PA3 (Onkyo Integra A-817XD undergoing restoration) /// DAC: Weiliang SU5 /// Speakers: AAT BSF-100 /// Mike: Alctron CS35U /// Headphones: Blon B8, ISK MDH-9000

Living room: TV: Samsung QLED Q7FN 55' 4k /// Amplifier: Denon AVR-X2400H /// Speakers: DALI Zensor 7 /// Consoles: Sony PS4 Pro 1TB, Sony PS3 500gb /// LD/CD/DVD: Pioneer DVL-909 /// Power Supplies: Upsai ACF-2100T + GR Savage CDR2200EX

7 hours ago, Chevy_Monsenhor said:

Anybody can enlighten me on that M.2 on X58 thing that was discussed here a few months ago? 

I was thinking about picking up a 250GB WD Blue with the money i got from selling some stuff over at Mercado Livre, but i'm not sure how to get it working on my UD7, other than buying the PCI-e adapter.

Theres a few topics about it on the forum, unfortunately i cant help much as i've never tried it for myself. I'm sure one of the other fellas in here could help out.

I think it's nvme at something a little faster sata 6 speed dude not sure....I think.. rampage had it too and few other boards did...this oem board i have does not have one though....kinda crappy board...but i know now the x5650 is still good, would be a good clocker on the Sabertooth or UDR3...

don't matter back on z270 and 7700k smokes just about everything prior...unless some still on broadwell or any haswell...saved the 4770k 4790k or like yeah that 5820k stuff like that....that one I thought was soldereddd though...and people deliding soldered stuff anyways....

Ignorant lol...

stuff was originally mostly ever down to known chips that weren't soldered....

5 minutes ago, JR1988 said:

I think it's nvme at something a little faster sata 6 speed dude not sure....I think.. rampage had it too and few other boards did...this oem board i have does not have one though....kinda crappy board...but i know now the x5650 is still good, would be a good clocker on the Sabertooth or UDR3...

don't matter back on z270 and 7700k smokes just about everything prior...unless some still on broadwell or any haswell...saved the 4770k 4790k or like yeah that 5820k stuff like that....that one I thought was soldereddd though...and people deliding soldered stuff anyways....

Ignorant lol...

stuff was originally mostly ever down to known chips that weren't soldered....

nvme is a shit ton faster than sata-6. these boards were all sata-3 and pcie gen 2, so with a pcie to nvme adapter they liven up quite abit, now whether or not its worth it is up to the end user.

as for the 7700k smoking just about everything prior, lol in what single core performance because there are a shit ton of older chips that will stomp all over a 7700k, and what a 7700k @ 5,1ghz gets what mid 1100's cb score? My 4790K will hang within a couple % of a 7700K all day long

I've always wondered just how good these old chips would do if they could be used with the newest gen chipsets with ddr4, and pcie gen3 stuff. i bet the spread wouldnt be as much as people think.

8 minutes ago, FlatBrokeRacing said:

nvme is a shit ton faster than sata-6. these boards were all sata-3 and pcie gen 2, so with a pcie to nvme adapter they liven up quite abit, now whether or not its worth it is up to the end user.

as for the 7700k smoking just about everything prior, lol in what single core performance because there are a shit ton of older chips that will stomp all over a 7700k, and what a 7700k @ 5,1ghz gets what mid 1100's cb score? My 4790K will hang within a couple % of a 7700K all day long

I've always wondered just how good these old chips would do if they could be used with the newest gen chipsets with ddr4, and pcie gen3 stuff. i bet the spread wouldnt be as much as people think.

yeah the single core and ipc dude...things like.

plenty of the old chips are still good.

10 hours ago, Chevy_Monsenhor said:

You need a samsung 950 pro, this is the only drive that will work as a plug and play device, cause it is the only one with legasy bios support. The bios will see it as another ide drive.

You also need a pci-e to nvme card. You can get any of them from ebay or aliexpress or from known brand as asus or watercool. A heatsink is highly recommended. I went with aliexpress one with a heatsink.

due to the fact x58 got only pci-e gen 2 you will not get full speed of this drive, but it is significantly faster of sata2 or even sata3

however if your mobo does support sata3 the difference in speed between nvme and sata3 is not that great +-3 sec on boot time, but if it supports only sata2 the speed difference is up to 5 times

have a look in my buildlog

7 hours ago, MaratM said:

You need a samsung 950 pro, this is the only drive that will work as a plug and play device, cause it is the only one with legasy bios support. The bios will see it as another ide drive.

You also need a pci-e to nvme card. You can get any of them from ebay or aliexpress or from known brand as asus or watercool. A heatsink is highly recommended. I went with aliexpress one with a heatsink.

due to the fact x58 got only pci-e gen 2 you will not get full speed of this drive, but it is significantly faster of sata2 or even sata3

however if your mobo does support sata3 the difference in speed between nvme and sata3 is not that great +-3 sec on boot time, but if it supports only sata2 the speed difference is up to 5 times

have a look in my buildlog

Thanks a lot for the help MaratM, i'll take a further look!

Project Diesel 5.0: Motherboard: ASRock Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming /// CPU: Ryzen 5 3600X  /// CPU Cooler: Scythe Ninja 5 /// GPU: Zotac AMP Extreme RTX 2070 /// RAM: 2x 16gb G.Skill Ripjaws V @3200mhz /// Chassis: Lian Li Lancool One Digital (black) /// PSU: Super Flower Leadex III 750w /// Storage: Inland Premium 1TB NVME + Toshiba X300 4TB

Peripherals: Mice: Cooler Master MM720 /// Keyboard: Corsair K70 MK2 SE (Cherry Silver), Blitzwolf BW-KB1 (Gateron Reds) /// Monitor: Acer XZ320Q 32' (VA, 1080p @240hz) /// AMP: Topping PA3 (Onkyo Integra A-817XD undergoing restoration) /// DAC: Weiliang SU5 /// Speakers: AAT BSF-100 /// Mike: Alctron CS35U /// Headphones: Blon B8, ISK MDH-9000

Living room: TV: Samsung QLED Q7FN 55' 4k /// Amplifier: Denon AVR-X2400H /// Speakers: DALI Zensor 7 /// Consoles: Sony PS4 Pro 1TB, Sony PS3 500gb /// LD/CD/DVD: Pioneer DVL-909 /// Power Supplies: Upsai ACF-2100T + GR Savage CDR2200EX

First (out of 4) batch of Xeons arrived for my attempt to break the BCLK record on x58. 

i5zN6J1.jpg

Someone have a guess how much I paid for the 40 xeons?

Xeon e5649@4.4 GHz on Asus Rampage II Extreme or Gigabyte x58a-OC (whatever I feel like to set up at a time) , 6x4 GB Kingston HyperX 1600, Gainward GTX 670 Phantom, Samsung 840 Evo 240 GB, BeQuiet L8 530W

12 minutes ago, Ground said:

First (out of 4) batch of Xeons arrived for my attempt to break the BCLK record on x58. 

i5zN6J1.jpg

Someone have a guess how much I paid for the 40 xeons?

ooo what kind are they?

The Impossibox

WhisperingKnickers

x58 Fan Page

6 minutes ago, WhisperingKnickers said:

ooo what kind are they?

e5606s lol. Have a guess how much I paid for all of them xD

Xeon e5649@4.4 GHz on Asus Rampage II Extreme or Gigabyte x58a-OC (whatever I feel like to set up at a time) , 6x4 GB Kingston HyperX 1600, Gainward GTX 670 Phantom, Samsung 840 Evo 240 GB, BeQuiet L8 530W

10 minutes ago, Ground said:

e5606s lol. Have a guess how much I paid for all of them xD

$20?

The Impossibox

WhisperingKnickers

x58 Fan Page

3 minutes ago, WhisperingKnickers said:

$20?

close, 29€ :P 

Black Knight-

Ryzen 5 5600, GIGABYTE B550M DS3H, 16Gb Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000mhz, Asrock RX 6800 XT Phantom Gaming,

Seasonic Focus GM 750, Samsung EVO 860 EVO SSD M.2, Intel 660p Series M.2 2280 1TB PCIe NVMe, Linux Mint 20.2 Cinnamon

Daughter's Rig;

MSI B450 A Pro, Ryzen 5 3600x, 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000mhz, Silicon Power A55 512GB SSD, Gigabyte RX 5700 Gaming OC, Corsair CX430