Synergy, buy it for "life"

xxxHellcatsxxx

Hm....

TBH it should be a free upgrade, or maybe $5

IMO, it would be fine if they kept on developing and supporting Synergy 1

QUOTE/TAG ME WHEN REPLYING

Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It.

If I'm wrong, please point it out. I'm always learning & I won't bite.

Desktop:

Delidded Core i7 4770K - GTX 1070 ROG Strix - 16GB DDR3 - Lots of RGB lights I never change

Laptop:

HP Spectre X360 - i7 8560U - MX150 - 2TB SSD - 16GB DDR4

Um, I'm pretty sure that when I bought Synergy, it said "Lifetime access to Synergy"... so...

Please quote me if you are replying so that I get a notification. Also, mark my answer as "correct" if I've answered your question :)

Just now, Kylo ren PBUH said:

well, one time purchases is why a bunch of companies run out of business quick. So this would probably have been expected 

you need a sustainable business model. that means create a system where the consumer pays over time for one product, or buys new products after a period of time

Main Rig | Personal Build | Windows 10 | R7 2700x 3.7~4.3ghz | ASUS ROG Strix B450-I | 16gb DDR4 3200mhz | GTX 1080 FE | Coolermaster Elite 130 | Corsair H60 | WD Blue SN500 500GB NVMe SSD + 1tb WD Green HDD + 1tb WD Blue HDD

Laptop | HP m6-w102dx | Windows 10 | i7-5500u 2.4~3.0ghz | 8gb DDR3L | GT 930m 2gb| 120gb Sandisk SSD

Phone | Pixel 3 | Verizon | 64gb

Just now, SlipperyPete said:

you need a sustainable business model. that means create a system where the consumer pays over time for one product, or buys new products after a period of time

True.

1 minute ago, nsinnott said:

Um, I'm pretty sure that when I bought Synergy, it said "Lifetime access to Synergy"... so...

It definitely did. There was no concept of "Synergy 1".

2 minutes ago, nsinnott said:

i own lifetime access to microsoft office 2010. doesnt mean im entitled to office 2016

Main Rig | Personal Build | Windows 10 | R7 2700x 3.7~4.3ghz | ASUS ROG Strix B450-I | 16gb DDR4 3200mhz | GTX 1080 FE | Coolermaster Elite 130 | Corsair H60 | WD Blue SN500 500GB NVMe SSD + 1tb WD Green HDD + 1tb WD Blue HDD

Laptop | HP m6-w102dx | Windows 10 | i7-5500u 2.4~3.0ghz | 8gb DDR3L | GT 930m 2gb| 120gb Sandisk SSD

Just now, xxxHellcatsxxx said:

It definitely did. There was no concept of "Synergy 1".

they may not have had the idea of another in mind at the time. they are selling a new product. if you dont want to buy it than you can simply continue using the one you already own

3 minutes ago, SlipperyPete said:

i own lifetime access to microsoft office 2010. doesnt mean im entitled to office 2016

That would be acceptable if that's what was presented, but it wasn't. Synergy was a free product that you could donate to. Now they are completely changing what the original Synergy promised. That's why I am bothered by this.

9 minutes ago, RadiatingLight said:

Hm....

TBH it should be a free upgrade, or maybe $5

IMO, it would be fine if they kept on developing and supporting Synergy 1

it would have been great but as far as a sustainable business model goes this can only last so long. Some markets do have a ceiling 

I bought synergy less than a month ago, with no mention of a possible new product/version, so yes, I'm a little ticked off that I have to pay almost what I paid for the original product again, 1 month later.

Please quote me if you are replying so that I get a notification. Also, mark my answer as "correct" if I've answered your question :)

Ugh... I just bought it yesterday. I hope they don't make me pay for Synergy 2. Esp since they didn't mention the caveat of not working with Wayland in Linux. I typically research things like that, but it never occurred to me since it's been touting Linux support back when it was a free project.

2 minutes ago, LinusTech said:

This is similar to Teamviewer's model

I like TeamViewer's model better... there's an option for people to use the service for free for certain things, and then professionals pay a license fee... they've obviously been pretty successful. I'm probably going to end up buying it though, because it is crucial for my setup and having an unsupported piece of software isn't necessarily something I'm after

1 minute ago, xxxHellcatsxxx said:

That would be acceptable if that's what was presented, but it wasn't. Synergy was a free product that you could donate to. Now they are completely changing what the original Synergy promised. That's why I am bothered by this.

i appreciate that as am i. i just think that realistically what choice do they have. the software popularity exceeded the original expectations. they are offering services that require servers to be up as well as staff to develop and troubleshoot the programs. this costs money and as a result they need to create a sustainable business model. that means create a system where the consumer pays over time for one product, or buys new products after a period of time. as @RadiatingLight said having an upgrade system for current synergy users would have been the best solution IMO

4 minutes ago, LinusTech said:

This is similar to Teamviewer's model

Not so. TV you can use for free for personal use and commercial use is paid for. This is making you rebuy for personal use and they already have an enterprise version that you pay for annually.

Just now, xxxHellcatsxxx said:

Not so. TV you can use for free for personal use and commercial use is paid for. This is making you rebuy for personal use and they already have an enterprise version that you pay for monthly.

I didn't even know they had an enterprise version... I first tried Synergy when it was free and I really liked it, and also donated for it. Then it was no longer required in my setup, so I got rid of it. Fast forward to a month ago when I was doing graphic/web design on a Mac and almost everything else on a PC on the same desk, I bought it again, reasonably understanding that I would be getting new versions of the software... hence "Lifetime access to Synergy"

5 minutes ago, nsinnott said:

I didn't even know they had an enterprise version... I first tried Synergy when it was free and I really liked it, and also donated for it. Then it was no longer required in my setup, so I got rid of it. Fast forward to a month ago when I was doing graphic/web design on a Mac and almost everything else on a PC on the same desk, I bought it again, reasonably understanding that I would be getting new versions of the software... hence "Lifetime access to Synergy"

realistically what choice do they have. they are offering services that require servers to be up as well as staff to develop and troubleshoot the programs. this costs money and as a result they need to create a sustainable business model. that means create a system where the consumer pays over time for one product, or buys new products after a period of time. as @RadiatingLight said having an upgrade system for current synergy users would have been the best solution IMO

also Team viewer has enterprise not synergy

they both do my bad. thanks for pointing it out @nsinnott

2 minutes ago, SlipperyPete said:

also Team viewer has enterprise not synergy

they both do

Screen Shot 2017-09-28 at 3.01.58 PM.png

Just now, nsinnott said:

they both do

~snip~

oops. my bad lol

just checked my account page and noticed that it now says I have a license for "Synergy 1 Basic" instead of "Synergy Basic" now... I also never got the email for the reduced price for 2 so..... this is annoying

Screen Shot 2017-09-28 at 3.05.40 PM.png

Judging from the "whats new" section, I am intrigued about the no more IP/Domain name. This is big for me as I need to use my Public IP of my home network to connect with my VPN connected laptop, even though the computers are only 2 feet apart as it doesnt allow me to use my LAN IP when connected through the VPN. This could really help me... I may upgrade to the 2nd version honestly... 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card