How did you all become so smart? (Not sarcastic)

J_Maloney
2 hours ago, J_Maloney said:

I am curious about how everyone here came about to know their various aspects of IT! 
I would love to read some of your back stories and how you as individuals gained your knowledge of all things electric :) 

Would love to know various courses you attended, people that influenced you and even some videos you may have watched to broaden your interests :)

Thanks guys xD

My dad works in IT so he's the one who got me into PCs in the first place and I learned a lot from him (and still do). Everything else I taught myself either by reading/looking it up on the internet or by trial and error. I don't have any kind of degree to show for it though, might be a good idea for me to look into that.

In all honesty though, growing up with no computer (using the public library's) and then dial up, and then "high speed" internet, as well as a curious mind eventually had me go to school for a degree and ending up where I currently work treats you to the "way things should be done" to the "way things are with limited budget".

Whether you have lots of money or very little money to keep the business running, you keep it running.... Public sector jobs suck in that regard but are great in benefits.

20 years of self taught learning.

Mostly trial and error

How do Reavers clean their spears?

|Specs in profile|

The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again.

Hmmm, my first intro to computers was Windows 3.1 back when I was like four or five (can't remember exact age).  I say this, be that young and trying to load a game off a floppy can really make you figure a few MS-DOS commands out.  :P  I did not really get back into computers until in my first military career field when I asked a friend about his desktop.  When he told me that he built it,  I was like...really!?  Heck, I started reading across forum boards and did my first computer build.  Since then, I just keep reading books and lurking tech forums.  Got tried of my first career field, so left active duty went to Guard and switch over to IT career field.  O boy, they throw everything at you, especially while deployed (a whole lot of learning on the fly and googling).  Also, I tend to find fellow IT peeps in this career field to ask questions and watch (thankfully in the military most are willing to share knowledge).

2023 BOINC Pentathlon Event

F@H & BOINC Installation on Linux Guide

My CPU Army: 5800X, E5-2670V3, 1950X, 5960X J Batch, 10750H *lappy

My GPU Army:3080Ti, 960 FTW @ 1551MHz, RTX 2070 Max-Q *lappy

My Console Brigade: Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, PS2 Fatty, Xbox One S, Xbox One X

My Tablet Squad: iPad Air 5th Gen, Samsung Tab S, Nexus 7 (1st gen)

3D Printer Unit: Prusa MK3S, Prusa Mini, EPAX E10

VR Headset: Quest 2

Hardware lost to Kevdog's Law of Folding

OG Titan, 5960X, ThermalTake BlackWidow 850 Watt PSU

- Cleaned -

Lets keep on topic please ...

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

Back in the day in highschool I bought the OG Crysis because it looked amazing.  Well guess what.  The HP "HTPC" said nope, can't do it. 

So with this game I learned how to upgrade PCs and also editing game assets for various outcomes which ended up becoming useful when creating personal server rooms for this game. 

Before this I was scared to even open up a computer because I thought I could potentially break any of the "fragile" components and ruin the entire machine.  It took me getting my hands dirty and a desire to game on a truly inspiring game which I wish had more traction back in its day other that "But can it run Crysis?" lol.  That game had a great online gameplay style called "Power Struggle".

Any rate this started a so far life long interest in all things computer hardware wise and tinkering to see how things work and watching countless videos and reading countless articles.  Also helped being broke and trying to get the best out of what you can get lol

6 minutes ago, Jordan Johnson-Verburg said:

Cheers!  A Lannister pays their debts.

Ha! I would've used another quote:

"A mind needs books like a sword needs a whetstone"

But alcohol always solves any problem... one way or another.

5 hours ago, Drak3 said:

Some advice, stop. The world and (nearly) everyone in it is so much worse when you're smart.

hey! Why are you so mean?

Was lucky enough to get a computer in my home when I was six-seven years old (late 90's) and immediately fell in love with tech stuff 

Specs

i9 9900K 5.1GHz 0 AVX offset

ASUS MAXIMUS APEX XI

Custom watercooling (360mm, 60mm thicc)

EVGA GTX1080 FTW DT

EVGA T2 1000W Platinum PSU

3200MHz G.Skill RGB B-die

Samsung 970 Pro 512GB

Samsung 860 EVO 2TB

Crucial MX300 1TB