AMD killing Crossfire branding in favor of ...mGPU..not to be confused with mobile GPUs

Syntaxvgm

people wont stop saying crossfire im pretty sure

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

24 minutes ago, Sniperfox47 said:

It's just that Unreal Engine 4 is already "Broken AF™" on Linux without them failing and implementing broken Multi-GPU too.

The real question is what's worse, crossfire on Linux or Unreal ;).

Some jokes are too easy lol.

14 hours ago, ARikozuM said:

"two" and "a" do not make sense unless you want to unstrike-through "Vega 64s in".

oops, that one slipped through the cracks

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

6 hours ago, JediFragger said:

I started to call it Crapfire for quite a while now. Terrible.

I miss my 295x2 when it used to be kickass :(

I mean.. a 295x2 is still a hell of a card.

CPU: I5 4590 Motherboard: ASROCK H97 Pro4 Ram: XPG 16gb v2.0 4x4 kit  GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 PSU: EVGA 550w Supernova G2 Storage: 128 gb Sandisk SSD + 525gb Mx300 SSD Cooling: Be Quiet! Shadow Rock LP Case: Zalman T2 Sound: Logitech Z506 5.1 Mouse: Razer Deathadder Chroma Keyboard: DBPower LED

1 hour ago, Moress said:

I mean.. a 295x2 is still a hell of a card.

It sure is....in 3 year-old titles!

2 hours ago, JediFragger said:

It sure is....in 3 year-old titles!

The 295x2 is two full 290Xs, which are equivalent two RX 580s. So yeah its still a good card

CPU: I5 4590 Motherboard: ASROCK H97 Pro4 Ram: XPG 16gb v2.0 4x4 kit  GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 PSU: EVGA 550w Supernova G2 Storage: 128 gb Sandisk SSD + 525gb Mx300 SSD Cooling: Be Quiet! Shadow Rock LP Case: Zalman T2 Sound: Logitech Z506 5.1 Mouse: Razer Deathadder Chroma Keyboard: DBPower LED

1 hour ago, huilun02 said:

Shifting dependency to software is a bad thing

It's already dependent on software (what do you think CF profiles are?), it's just a matter of who's writing the software.  The developers or AMD.

AMD just isn't good at naming anything are they

I mean neither is Microsoft or Nvidia but it's going to sound a lot less impressive saying "i have my GPUs in an mGPU setup" than "I have my GPUs in a Crossfire setup"

2 hours ago, Moress said:

The 295x2 is two full 290Xs, which are equivalent two RX 580s. So yeah its still a good card

Still running dual 290X's at 2560x1600 (Dell U3014) and highest settings possible in every game, sure I don't get over 100 FPS but I don't have a high refresh rate monitor or Freesync.

4 hours ago, leadeater said:

Still running dual 290X's at 2560x1600 (Dell U3014) and highest settings possible in every game, sure I don't get over 100 FPS but I don't have a high refresh rate monitor or Freesync.

yea... Not to poo poo on ya(with my gfxcard I can't shake shit at anyone), but equivalent in perf only to 580.  Lot of caveats there; 2x the power draw, 2x the heat, 3 years closer to EOL, half the VRAM and that ram is running at 2/3rd the speed.

I really only say this cause I see more than a few 290/x reaching for 480/580 prices used(lol), and....Dude, sell them before you're left holding the bag.

13 hours ago, Doobeedoo said:

It's already a thing like APU or CPU and GPU working together for everything as much as possible to leverage the maximum compute performance etc. 

13 hours ago, rattacko123 said:

AMD Fusion already exists...
Image result for AMD Fusion
*shudders*

Darn it, so the name already exist.

There goes my pay cut of 1% from AMD, for giving them this cool name. :(:P

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

1 hour ago, MoonSpot said:

yea... Not to poo poo on ya(with my gfxcard I can't shake shit at anyone), but equivalent in perf only to 580.  Lot of caveats there; 2x the power draw, 2x the heat, 3 years closer to EOL, half the VRAM and that ram is running at 2/3rd the speed.

I really only say this cause I see more than a few 290/x reaching for 480/580 prices used(lol), and....Dude, sell them before you're left holding the bag.

Nah they are fine and I want to keep them. They'll just go in to a secondary system when they get replaced, I don't chuck anything out or sell it lol.

They are Asus ref with EK full cover so value wise I've gotten a lot of life out of them for what I paid in total. No matter which way you look at it with my system selling them for something like an RX480/580 is a net loss no matter what for no performance gain, not a good idea. Power costs is way overblown, tired of hearing it for anything not just AMD GPUs but everything in general. Costs more to cook a roast than to play games for 6-8 hours and dropping average power draw by 20%-35% isn't worth the effort or the up front money.

And remember not everyone is in the North America or Europe so local market prices on used components may not be similar at all, 290/290X's weren't crazy high at any point.

On 9/23/2017 at 9:03 PM, ARikozuM said:

One for graphics and one for physics. One for scenery and the other for moving objects.

This seems to fit with that other story in the idea that they're trying to slowly and quietly de-market and phase out multi-GPU setups

17 hours ago, leadeater said:

Nah they are fine and I want to keep them. They'll just go in to a secondary system when they get replaced, I don't chuck anything out or sell it lol.

They are Asus ref with EK full cover so value wise I've gotten a lot of life out of them for what I paid in total. No matter which way you look at it with my system selling them for something like an RX480/580 is a net loss no matter what for no performance gain, not a good idea. Power costs is way overblown, tired of hearing it for anything not just AMD GPUs but everything in general. Costs more to cook a roast than to play games for 6-8 hours and dropping average power draw by 20%-35% isn't worth the effort or the up front money.

And remember not everyone is in the North America or Europe so local market prices on used components may not be similar at all, 290/290X's weren't crazy high at any point.

I wasn't suggesting you buy 480/580s, but was noting the heat and electricity delta between them.  Electricity isn't a big deal, but it is a thing.  The more important parts are heat and performance  Team red just doesn't have a good offering for your performance envelope where a 1080ti would do a better job with less BS.  That is, unless you're mining.

Anywho, its neither here nor there if you want to keep them for periphery systems.

2 minutes ago, MoonSpot said:

I wasn't suggesting you buy 480/580s, but was noting the heat and electricity delta between them.  Electricity isn't a big deal, but it is a thing.  The more important parts are heat and performance  Team red just doesn't have a good offering for your performance envelope where a 1080ti would do a better job with less BS.  That is, unless you're mining.

Anywho, its neither here nor there if you want to keep them for periphery systems.

Yea, still scoping out whats going on before doing an upgrade. Going to do everything so happy to wait as long as possible to make sure everything has settled and there is no big potential pending things, think that might have just ended now though.