Apple gives users an excuse to upgrade to a new Apple Watch relating to Heartrate monitoring

AlTech

The original Apple Watch may be on its last legs despite being released in 2015.  Apple in the past indicated that it expects Apple Watch users to keep their watch for 3 years and frankly it hasn't been 3 years yet.

So it makes you wonder why Apple would try to force people to upgrade to the new Apple Watch Series 3.

Anyhow, the original Apple Watch released in April 2015 does not support viewing your resting heart rate.

This was discovered by users of the OG Apple Watch.

It is speculated that this is due to the original S1 chip not being fast enough. The Series 1 (2nd Generation) and Series 2 (2nd Generation) watches use the S2 Chip and I believe the Series 3 uses the S3 chip.

Apple’s new Apple Watch software, WatchOS 4, includes several updates to the health and fitness tracking features of the Watch, the most interesting of which are new heart rate monitoring features. With the new software, the Watch will show resting heart rate, walking heart rate, and recovery rate, and flag abnormal spikes even when wearers aren’t working out.

But it turns out that not all Apple Watch users will experience those. As pointed out both in 9to5Mac’s WatchOS 4 writeup and by users on Twitter earlier today, the new heart rate monitoring features are limited to Series 1, Series 2, and brand-new Series 3 smartwatches. The original Apple Watch, the very first one that launched in 2015, won’t support some of the new heart rate features in WatchOS 4.

So yeah, if Apple knew users would have to ditch the original cos of this then they should have provided the original watch with more horsepower.

My dad has an OG Apple Watch and I suspect he won't be willing to upgrade to the new Series 3 (3rd Generation) or the Series 1 (2nd Generation) which is still being sold

Source:

https://www.theverge.com/2017/9/21/16347244/apple-watch-os-4-heart-rate-series-original

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

The Apple watches are terrible watches... Great smart devices I guess.

I don't think the majority of Apple customers need an excuse for anything. They release phones at the cyclic rate, so I'm not surprised about the watches. Though I don't really think there is much need to upgrade to the new watch since it isn't a blow away with new features. A bunch of the same old, but new.

I suspect in order to marshall users to the new watches, they (Apple, not developers) will probably orient newer apps to the new device, claim incompatibility with the older watches, and phase the older watches put within the year.

19 minutes ago, Ryujin2003 said:

I don't think the majority of Apple customers need an excuse for anything. They release phones at the cyclic rate, so I'm not surprised about the watches. Though I don't really think there is much need to upgrade to the new watch since it isn't a blow away with new features. A bunch of the same old, but new.

I suspect in order to marshall users to the new watches, they (Apple, not developers) will probably orient newer apps to the new device, claim incompatibility with the older watches, and phase the older watches put within the year.

Why do you think it’s terrible? I have the OG one and find it a more convenient than any watch I’ve ever owned

3 minutes ago, GatioH said:

Why do you think it’s terrible? I have the OG one and find it a more convenient than any watch I’ve ever owned

If I need to do anything I'll just take out my phone.. 

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

All companies gives excuses to upgrade. It's up to the person to see if that excuse, justifies their need for a upgrade. 

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

Or it could also be true. The original Apple watch as i recall had alot of performance issues that were solved by the succeeding generations of watches. Apple has always been amazing at their chip designs, if you notice without a coloured mind and im pretty sure they intentially upgraded Series 1 chip because they thought it would be a good idea rather than normally keeping the exact same old model.

Apple Watch is pretty much the best wearable there is at this point and Apple has the entire market like how it does with the iPad, with only Gear S3 being very slightly comparable. And it has saved alot of lives, so thats even a bigger plus point

4 minutes ago, RedRound2 said:

Or it could also be true. The original Apple watch as i recall had alot of performance issues that were solved by the succeeding generations of watches. Apple has always been amazing at their chip designs, if you notice without a coloured mind and im pretty sure they intentially upgraded Series 1 chip because they thought it would be a good idea rather than normally keeping the exact same old model.

This is probably the most accurate answer here. Remember the first generation iPad? Apple dropped it fast when they realized what was wrong with it. When the iPad 2 dropped, people realized it was a far superior device to the first one. It's why it went on to be supported for five years via updates.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

typical first gen product problems. 

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

1 minute ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

This is probably the most accurate answer here. Remember the first generation iPad? Apple dropped it fast when they realized what was wrong with it. When the iPad 2 dropped, people realized it was a far superior device to the first one. It's why it went on to be supported for five years via updates.

I still have my iPad 2! (though it kinda just sits in a corner now lol) 

Feel like I got my money's worth from it. Can't say that about everything else apple i've owned... except maybe my 2015 MBP but that's not really *old* yet lol

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

Just now, bcredeur97 said:

I still have my iPad 2! (though it kinda just sits in a corner now lol) 

Feel like I got my money's worth from it. Can't say that about everything else apple i've owned... except maybe my 2015 MBP but that's not really *old* yet lol

Yeah, I remember seeing the iPad Mini launching basically with the same iPad 2 hardware and it still ran pretty alright all things considered.

It still amazes me as to how long Apple supported both the iPhone 4s and the iPad 2 (and its derivatives) and how poorly the iPhone 4 and iPad aged in comparison.

Wait, what? How are they forcing users to upgrade? How does "The original one won't get the slightly more useful HR monitoring" turn into "The original is useless now?"

Either way, though, uh... *Ahem*...

Spoiler

6a0120a5580826970c01bb088f0d7d970d-pi

"Do as I say, not as I do."

-Because you actually care if it makes sense.

2 hours ago, Ryujin2003 said:

Having it connect via the wireless carrier is huge. They have a number share ability where you can receive calls, texts and emails via the 4g LTE away from your phone.

2 hours ago, themctipers said:

If I need to do anything I'll just take out my phone.. 

That's the point of a watch you don't have to. I know it's easier to glance at my watch when I'm with a customer. Than pull out my phone.

31 minutes ago, Snaeb said:

Having it connect via the wireless carrier is huge. They have a number share ability where you can receive calls, texts and emails via the 4g LTE away from your phone.

That's the point of a watch you don't have to. I know it's easier to glance at my watch when I'm with a customer. Than pull out my phone.

I use my phone to send messages via discord or to go on LTT. 

Hey siri, open discord and send a message in 'the fuck man' saying 'fuck off bitch'

Bad example but my head can't make an exmaple. 

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

1 hour ago, Dash Lambda said:

Wait, what? How are they forcing users to upgrade? How does "The original one won't get the slightly more useful HR monitoring" turn into "The original is useless now?"

Reveal hidden contents

Because the forum tends to focus on elitism and not cold, hard facts.

Don't believe me, I can shovel up at least 100 pages of bullshit within three days.

2 hours ago, bcredeur97 said:

typical first gen product problems

Yep.

That said, some 1st gen products are better than other 1st gen products. I have an origijnal cellular iPad and an original Galaxy S phone, these were both released in the same year. The iPad is holding up far better than the Galaxy S phone as clocks. The phone has screen burn in, the iPad not so much.

Ryzen 7 2700x | MSI B450 Tomahawk | GTX 780 Windforce | 16GB 3200
Dell 3007WFP | 2xDell 2001FP | Logitech G710 | Logitech G710 | Team Wolf Void Ray | Strafe RGB MX Silent
iPhone 8 Plus ZTE Axon 7 | iPad Air 2 | Nvidia Shield Tablet 32gig LTE | Lenovo W700DS

Not surprising. A product that was garbage at launch remains garbage 2 years later. They try to present them as rolex class products, but try telling a rolex customer their watch is obsolete after 2 years.

This is especially egregious for those who bought the 15k$ version (not that they made a particularly smart decision to begin with, but this takes it to a new level).

On 9/22/2017 at 3:30 PM, Dash Lambda said:

Reveal hidden contents

Of course, you're not being "forced" to upgrade. But apple has been presenting it as something it simply isn't. They ask for luxury watch/jewelry price when it clearly is neither, and things like this clearly show it. It's just a rushed product that does nothing particularly well (especially being a watch) and is now officially outdated.

On 9/22/2017 at 3:39 PM, Snaeb said:

And it would take you what, 5 seconds to pull out the phone and unlock it? Of course it's marginally easier to look at the watch, I just find it hard to justify the price to save 5 seconds.

On 9/22/2017 at 2:16 PM, Dan Castellaneta said:

And do you remember that the iPad had a camera slot which was deliberately left empty to allow for incremental upgrades? Apple deliberately half-asses their first gen product to test the waters. They spend as little as possible to get the first iteration out the door and still price it as if it was solid gold on the inside. Then, when they have assessed the degree of public interest, they actually try with the second gen, making it still overpriced but at least a decent product. The apple watch followed the same pattern, but charged 15k and postured as a luxury item, which is ridiculous.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Been using my series 2 Apple Watch since last December and loving it very much. The first pebble watch got me hooked on wrist notifications and I don't think I can go back to wearing a normal watch again. 

Apple Pay from the wrist is faster than Apple Pay from your phone. I can view passwords from the 1password app on my watch, which is faster than unlocking my phone. Same for 2FA codes and my bank account balance. Sometimes, my hands are full and it's easier to just bark "Hey Siri, message person X so and so" than fiddle for my phone. 

Still trying to get used to the new music player app from watchOS 4 (which made the watch app its own standalone music app, rather than a remote for your phone's music player). Apple made some really questionable design choices there (like the music controls dominating your watch face when media is playing), but by and large, I like my Apple Watch. It doesn't really bring anything indispensable to the party, but is nice for the utility it affords. Kinda like how the TV remote doesn't really let you do anything you couldn't do by getting up and walking over to the TV, but the added convenience is nice. 

Apple is not 'forcing' people to upgrade to a newer Watch.  You can still run watchOS 4; virtually every feature of the new OS is available if you have an original (I should know, I have one on my wrist right now).  The only things that are really off-limits are a little bit of the heart rate stuff and, of course, hardware-dependent features like swim tracking and cellular.  I'd say performance on the original watch is fine -- there are occasional moments where it'll be clear this is the oldest model, but it's far from useless.

The company didn't intentionally sabotage the original Apple Watch, and it wasn't a rushed product (development started at the end of 2011).  The simple reality is that this was a first-generation device, subject to the limitations of the technology available when it was released and without the benefit of having a previous shipping product to show how it worked in the real world.  Apple did decide to upgrade the CPU with Series 1, but that's probably because the CPU cost was negligible and Apple wanted to improve the baseline experience as soon as possible.

I look at it the way you might the first few iPhones.  The very first one was clearly the "we've been working on this for years, let's get it out there" product; the next two were big steps up that took advantage of both extra development time, technological progress and lessons learned.  Acting as if any company could just skip an entire step or two and basically make a future product today?  That's more than a little naive, frankly.