iOS 11 Control Center: Wi-Fi Bluetooth remains on as a feature

WMGroomAK
Just now, themctipers said:

Damn. 

They still have iOS 10 screenshots :P 

The info you linked was published back in June, and I don't think they usually update FAQ sheets unless something on it was changed. iOS 11-specific page: https://www.apple.com/ios/ios-11/

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

Just now, djdwosk97 said:

The info you linked was published back in June, and I don't think they usually update FAQ sheets unless something on it was changed. iOS 11-specific page: https://www.apple.com/ios/ios-11/

:ph34r:

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

27 minutes ago, djdwosk97 said:

This is also probably to facilitate emergency SOS that was added with iOS 11 -- tap the power button five times in quick succession to make an emergency call and send emergency services (and your chosen emergency contact/s) your location and that you're in trouble. 

Wait that's a thing?  Seems like something that could potentially be triggered by accident a lot

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

3 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Wait that's a thing?  Seems like something that could potentially be triggered by accident a lot

Who presses the power key five times by accident?

IMG_0363.thumb.PNG.c26691e156930f51569a834150e29a2f.PNG

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

Just now, hey_yo_ said:

Who presses the power key five times by accident?

People spam buttons all the time when something isn't working, or even if they're just bored or hyper.  And that's just the ways it could happen when someone intends to hit the button in the first place, never mind all the ways it could be triggered by accident. Bumpy road, etc. idk...

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

35 minutes ago, djdwosk97 said:

Presumably it would look for nearby networks every so often, but I'd like to see an in-depth test comparing battery life with wifi enabled/disabled.

How about comparing the battery drain when idle within 8 hours of sleep? Charge it up to 100% and turn off wifi and bluetooth on the Settings and on the next day, charge it up again to 100% but only turning those with the control center toggles. I want to know how much battery it will drain even though iOS is very good in power management when idle.

Just now, Ryan_Vickers said:

People spam buttons all the time when something isn't working, or even if they're just bored or hyper.  And that's just the ways it could happen when someone intends to hit the button in the first place, never mind all the ways it could be triggered by accident. Bumpy road, etc. idk...

And that's the story of how my power button got stuck..

It's fun ok..

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

8 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

It was added with iOS 11. Okay, so I looked into it a bit more and you press the power button five times to bring up a slider menu, with the option to power off (which seems REAALLLY fucking stupid to have there) or call Emergency SOS. You can also enable "Auto call", which bypasses the slider menu but gives you an audible countdown so you can cancel it. On the iPhone X you press the power button and volume up button simultaneously (that seems like more of a concern than pressing the power button five times quickly on anything pre-X).  

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

1 minute ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Oops, just realized you can't turn off Emergency SOS. :ph34r:

Just now, djdwosk97 said:

It was added with iOS 11. Okay, so I looked into it a bit more and you press the power button five times to bring up a slider menu, with the option to power off (which seems REAALLLY fucking stupid to have there) or call Emergency SOS. You can also enable "Auto call", which bypasses the slider menu but gives you an audible countdown so you can cancel it. On the iPhone X you press the power button and volume up button simultaneously (that seems like more of a concern than pressing the power button five times quickly on the 8).  

That makes more sense.  I guess Apple agrees that an additional layer to confirm is necessary for an action like that.  I agree about the power swipe thing though, seems like in a panic you could accidentally shut down the phone when you meant to dial 911.

3 minutes ago, hey_yo_ said:

Oops, just realized you can't turn off Emergency SOS. :ph34r:

did you just dial 911 trying to test how plausible my accidental trigger theory was? lol

That makes more sense.  I guess Apple agrees that an additional layer to confirm is necessary for an action like that.  I agree about the power swipe thing though, seems like in a panic you could accidentally shut down the phone when you meant to dial 911.

What if they're both dummies and they both do the same thing, but one just turns off the display and doesn't respond to any user input until you hold the power button again?

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

Just now, themctipers said:

What if they're both dummies and they both do the same thing, but one just turns off the display and doesn't respond to any user input until you hold the power button again?

You're suggesting the shutdown slider is a fake that actually does nothing?  I highly doubt that... why on earth would they put that in?

Just now, Ryan_Vickers said:

You're suggesting the shutdown slider is a fake that actually does nothing?  I highly doubt that... why on earth would they put that in?

:ph34r: no, Apple should make that as a feature 

cancel button is a thing.

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

1 minute ago, hey_yo_ said:

How about comparing the battery drain when idle within 8 hours of sleep? Charge it up to 100% and turn off wifi and bluetooth on the Settings and on the next day, charge it up again to 100% but only turning those with the control center toggles. I want to know how much battery it will drain even though iOS is very good in power management when idle.

Yeah....unfortunately, I don't personally care enough to test it. 

2 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

did you just dial 911 trying to test how plausible my accidental trigger theory was? lol

Yes, but it's fine since research has shown that there are sliders by default and a countdown if you choose to enable auto call. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

3 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

I did but I immediately canceled it before it even connects to 911. I could go to jail for prank calling emergency numbers and I’m not risking that. ?

I constantly hear about how much bluetooth and wifi drains your battery, but sometimes I wonder (particularly about wifi) if it's the act of having it on that does it, or if it's because when it's on, the phone is able to do a bunch of syncing and other stuff and that is what actually drains it.

1 minute ago, hey_yo_ said:

I did but I immediately canceled it before it even connects to 911. I could go to jail for prank calling emergency numbers and I’m not risking that. ?

Yeah don't do that.  It's a serious feature, not to be played with :)

I constantly hear about how much bluetooth and wifi drains your battery, but sometimes I wonder (particularly about wifi) if it's the act of having it on that does it, or if it's because when it's on, the phone is able to do a bunch of syncing and other stuff and that is what actually drains it.

While there’s no difference between 3G and LTE when it comes to power consumption, wifi is much gentler on battery life than cellular data. 

7 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Plus afaik no one has done any extensive testing on it lately with modern tech. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

22 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

I would say that this sounds like a future Tech quickie for @LinusTech in the making but there probably is a lot of software and device variance. 

1 hour ago, WMGroomAK said:

I would say that this sounds like a future Tech quickie for @LinusTech in the making but there probably is a lot of software and device variance. 

I'd also like to see it done by someone who....how should I put this....is actually thorough. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

7 hours ago, djdwosk97 said:

It was added with iOS 11. Okay, so I looked into it a bit more and you press the power button five times to bring up a slider menu, with the option to power off (which seems REAALLLY fucking stupid to have there) or call Emergency SOS. You can also enable "Auto call", which bypasses the slider menu but gives you an audible countdown so you can cancel it. On the iPhone X you press the power button and volume up button simultaneously (that seems like more of a concern than pressing the power button five times quickly on anything pre-X).  

well, I heard if you hold apple, ctrl, C and 5 other buttons at the same time,  an NSA backdoor opens and give MS all your high scores from angry birds.

Seriously though,  I would be happier if all the phone manufacturers settled on a standard for accessing emergency calls and services.  At least then in a time of crisis anyone can make your phone call 911 or 000 or whatever your countries number is.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

yep this is a feature of apple products. Apple TV probes the network when in standby. iPad probes the network when it should be sleeping. It does make the products more usable. I dont know what it means for power savings but it is not hard to shut off through the router/firewall. Connect any device to your network and run a packet capture and you will see your ipad flick through. Whats cool is you can actually trick your neighbours apple tv to connect to your laptop if it depends on wifi, and then you can wake it up at any time. 

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

7 hours ago, SCHISCHKA said:

yep this is a feature of apple products. Apple TV probes the network when in standby. iPad probes the network when it should be sleeping. It does make the products more usable. I dont know what it means for power savings but it is not hard to shut off through the router/firewall. Connect any device to your network and run a packet capture and you will see your ipad flick through. Whats cool is you can actually trick your neighbours apple tv to connect to your laptop if it depends on wifi, and then you can wake it up at any time. 

That seems more like a serious security flaw than "cool"