Bottlenecks.. still not clear cut like people think they are.

Interesting watch, the G4560 was able to power up to a GTX 1080, it bottlenecks it in games where it needs more cores, but not nearly as much as many would think.

CanTauSces: x5675 4.57ghz ~ 24GB 2133mhz CL10 Corsair Platinum ~ MSI X58 BIG BANG ~ AMD RADEON R9 Fury Nitro 1155mhz ~ 2x Velociraptor 1TB RAID 0 ~ 960GB x3 Crucial SSD ~ Creative SB Audigy FX ~ Corsair RM series 850 watts ~ Dell U2715H 27" 2560x1440.

Yeah, I thought that was pretty interesting as well. It's shocking how a Pentium wouldn't bottleneck a 1080.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

Bottleneck is never an accurate measure anyway. It depends on what you are doing with it.

CPU: i7-2600K 4751MHz 1.44V (software) --> 1.47V at the back of the socket Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 103.3MHz) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 2133MHz 10-11-11-30 CR2, custom: 2203MHz 10-11-10-26 CR1 tRFC:230 tREFI:14000) GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual (Super Jetstream vbios, +70(2025-2088MHz)/+400(8.8Gbps)) SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GB PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Case: Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 1 exhaust Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (150Hz max w/ DP, 121Hz max w/ HDMI) TN panel Keyboard: Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

Model: HP Omen 17 17-an110ca CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V core & cache, 50mV SA undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (+80/+450, 1650MHz~1750MHz 0.78V~0.85V) RAM: 8+8GB DDR4-2400 18-17-17-39 2T Storage: HP EX920 1TB PCIe x4 M.2 SSD + Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA SSD, 128GB Toshiba PCIe x2 M.2 SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) gone cooking externally, 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172) left outside Monitor: 1080p 126Hz IPS G-sync

Desktop benching:

Cinebench R15 Single thread:168 Multi-thread: 833 

SuperPi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.100s 1M: 8.255s 32M: 7m 45.93s

this is a terrible test done with terrible reasoning done by a guy with the resources and the experience to do better.... Using the Superposition benchmark to prove a 1080 isn't limited by a pentium is an incredibly stupid notion. the unigine benchmarks (Valley, Haven, Suporposition) are specifically and intentionally designed to be as GPU intensive as possible and as least CPU intensive as possible. they are GPU specific benchmarks. they are made specifically for testing the GPU and only the GPU as much as possible. You pick ANY game, any ACTUAL game, with a normal amount of CPU/GPU scaling and you start seeing bottlenecking in and around the GTX 1060 area. This video perpetuates the notion that a 1080 and a pentium are an okay pairing.... which is just not at all the case. I'm not saying pentium based gaming systems are bad, not at all. and if you're gaming at 4k a pentium/1080 might be a more sane pairing for high graphical gaming on a budget, but on the topic of how much a pentium actually bottlenecks specific GPU's at 1080p gaming, its WAYYY less than a GTX 1080's worth of power.

I'm with the Jay in the sense that bottlenecking is a craze which people should really not be so paranoid about especially since most people don't really understand the concept of bottlenecking.... but I really feel that this video does more harm than good to the conversation due to an ignorant testing methodology.

The words "bottleneck" and "future-proofing" will continue to trigger me for as long as I live.

'Fanboyism is stupid' - someone on this forum.

Be nice to each other boys and girls. And don't cheap out on a power supply.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K - 4.5 GHz | Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3 | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO - 500GB | GPU: MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6GB | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 | Cooling: CRYORIG R1 Ultimate | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | Peripherals: Corsair Vengeance K70 and Razer DeathAdder

1 hour ago, Potato*Salad said:

Interesting watch, the G4560 was able to power up to a GTX 1080, it bottlenecks it in games where it needs more cores, but not nearly as much as many would think.

well dahhh...superposition is a GPU benchmark...that require very little to be done from the CPU...no wonder the CPU a dual core do just fine...Jay is such a numbnut...

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

2 minutes ago, i_build_nanosuits said:

well dahhh...superposition is a GPU benchmark...no wonder the CPU a dual core do just fine...Jay is such a numbnut...

His videos are even worse than LTT's worse videos... frankly, his qq about not getting free stuff from nvidia annoys me.

A G4560 is a good pair up to the GTX 1060, beyond that it is a clear bottleneck to where you're wasting potential. Balancing the build is a must we need videos explaining further the best pairings and not go and say "hey if you only do synthetic gpu benchmarks you could pair a TITAN Xp with a Celeron!!! much wow.... facepalms >_>

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

Just now, Princess Cadence said:

His videos are even worse than LTT's worse videos... frankly.

A G4560 is a good pair up to the GTX 1060, beyond that it is a clear bottleneck to where you're wasting potential. Balancing the build is a must we need videos explaining further the best pairings and not go and say "hey if you only do synthetic gpu benchmarks you could pair a TITAN Xp with a Celeron!!! much wow.... facepalms >_>

G4560 is a place holder...a CPU that you purchase because you are broke...a CPU design for an office PC...a CPU that, has a gamer, you should be ashamed of and want to replace ASAP...it's ...ok...i've said enough :P

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

1. He used Superposition to look for CPU bottlenecks. (Superposition is GPU bound)
  2. He used a 7600K as a best case scenario

GG Jay 9_9

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

Mice: Logitech G Pro X Superlight (main), Logitech G Pro Wireless, Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402

9 minutes ago, i_build_nanosuits said:

G4560 is a place holder...a CPU that you purchase because you are broke...a CPU design for an office PC...a CPU that, has a gamer, you should be ashamed of and want to replace ASAP...it's ...ok...i've said enough :P

to be fair..... a pentium g4560 isn't this bad. its actually not horrible for what it is and can honestly do a decent job of gaming.... but there are very few instances where it could actually truly keep up with a gtx 1080 (maybe if you were after a 'budget' 4k ultra gaming build lol)

Just now, Zyndo said:

to be fair..... a pentium g4560 isn't this bad. its actually not horrible for what it is and can honestly do a decent job of gaming.... but there are very few instances where it could actually truly keep up with a gtx 1080 (maybe if you were after a 'budget' 4k ultra gaming build lol)

GPU load is one thing...FRAME TIME is another...playing any modern demanding titles that can load 4 to 6 or more CPU threads with this...your GPU load MIGHT not be that low or that bad...but you WILL defenetly not get a smooth experience...it will be ponctuated by micro-stuttering and wild fluctuations in frametimes and those are not reflected in average FPS you see everywhere, but an experienced gamer will defenetly notice them and it drives you nuts...and those occurs even if you're using a GTX 1050.

4 minutes ago, Zyndo said:

2 minutes ago, i_build_nanosuits said:

GPU load is one thing...FRAME TIME is another...playing any modern demanding titles that can load 4 to 6 or more CPU threads with this...your GPU load MIGHT not be that low or that bad...but you WILL defenetly not get a smooth experience...it will be ponctuated by micro-stuttering and wild fluctuations in frametimes and those are not reflected in average FPS you see everywhere, but an experienced gamer will defenetly notice them and it drives you nuts...and those occurs even if you're using a GTX 1050.

Imagine the stuttering hell...

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

3 minutes ago, i_build_nanosuits said:

Snip

yeeeah.... but not really. I mean, I have a 6700k + 980ti (bought them when they were king of the hill) so I certainly understand wanting to have the best of the best. But honestly, a G4560 gaming experience is not as horrible as people think. I'm not saying it can handle something like GTA V on max settings without a hitch.... but if you go into a game with a reasonable expectation of what the pentium can do it won't be a disappointment.

30 minutes ago, i_build_nanosuits said:

This!!! There is much more to cpu bottlenecking than just synthetic benchmarks and average framerate. A large variance in fps caused by the cpu constantly hanging around 90-100% usage results in a terrible stuttery gaming experience (even though the avg fps is not that badly affected).

As soon as I heard him say he was going to use Superposition to test CPUs any of his findings became completely irrelevant. Superposition is completely based around the GPU and it's kind of impressive how little it cares about whatever CPU you run. That makes it completely useless for a test like this. Even more so, trying to test "bottlenecking" without a huge swath of games is pointless. Take for instance BF1 that loves more threads more than IPC and would play awesome on something like a 1700, but then another game like Arma 3 that thrives on single core performance will suck ass on that same CPU when compared to something like a 7700k. 

My point is, it's impossible to define whether a certain CPU is enough to drive a certain GPU in a broad sense. The best way to pick these two components is to put together a "use case" (the games or tasks you want to do and HOW you want to do them) and then pick based on what gives you the best average.

A 7700k at *pick a frequency* will ALWAYS hold a *pick your favorite GPU* back at SOMETHING. You just have to decide whether that something means something to you.

Jesus I hate the term "bottlenecking."

LTT Unigine SUPERPOSITION scoreboardhttps://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1jvq_--P35FbqY8Iv_jn3YZ_7iP1I_hR0_vk7DjKsZgI/edit#gid=0

Intel i7 8700k || ASUS Z370-I ITX || AMD Radeon VII || 16GB 4266mhz DDR4 || Silverstone 800W SFX-L || 512GB 950 PRO M.2 + 3.5TB of storage SSD's

SCHIIT Lyr 3 Multibit || HiFiMAN HE-1000 V2 || MrSpeakers Ether C

Maybe the whole point of using a GPU intensive task is to show that the CPU is not inherently limiting the GPU in any way and that it entirely depends on what kind of game you throw at the CPU.

i.e., this is to debunk any conception of by sticking a Pentium with a GTX 1080, you automatically cut your performance by say 40% and there's nothing you can do about that than if you went with an i7-7700K

2 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

Maybe the whole point of using a GPU intensive task is to show that the CPU is not inherently limiting the GPU in any way and that it entirely depends on what kind of game you throw at the CPU.

Maybe, but it just doesn't seem very responsible to show a G4560 driving a 1080 to high levels because realistically it's not going to perform that well. Luckily he did at least reign back the first set of results with some actual games, but I still think it is going to confuse uneducated gamers into thinking a lowly Pentium is all they will need.

In the end though, it's all subjective really. If the owner of a system like that is happy, who am I to be irritated? And really, the best answer is always an engineers answer: "it depends..."

LTT Unigine SUPERPOSITION scoreboardhttps://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1jvq_--P35FbqY8Iv_jn3YZ_7iP1I_hR0_vk7DjKsZgI/edit#gid=0

Intel i7 8700k || ASUS Z370-I ITX || AMD Radeon VII || 16GB 4266mhz DDR4 || Silverstone 800W SFX-L || 512GB 950 PRO M.2 + 3.5TB of storage SSD's

SCHIIT Lyr 3 Multibit || HiFiMAN HE-1000 V2 || MrSpeakers Ether C

4 minutes ago, Masada02 said:

Maybe, but it just doesn't seem very responsible to show a G4560 driving a 1080 to high levels because realistically it's not going to perform that well. Luckily he did at least reign back the first set of results with some actual games, but I still think it is going to confuse uneducated gamers into thinking a lowly Pentium is all they will need.

In the end though, it's all subjective really. If the owner of a system like that is happy, who am I to be irritated? And really, the best answer is always an engineers answer: "it depends..."

I think as long as it's made clear that the task was purely a GPU one and that the actual results vary depending on what you throw at it, it doesn't hurt to run said task to show that the hardware configuration by itself is not the problem, but what kind of software you run on it. I mean yes, eventually it'll come back to "your CPU can't run this software fast enough", but I feel like people think bottlenecking means that they have a performance cap, period. Like a CPU is only good for 60 FPS at 1080p on medium or something silly like that.

But yeah, I feel most PC gamers don't really know what's going on under the hood and try as we might to educate anyone on the subject, at the end of the day they just want the cheatsheet to "best performance ever (without giving up a kidney to do so)", which can't really exist.

I can some what comfirm this. Not with a pentium or 1080, but with and old i7 980x @ 4.25 ghz and a 1080 ti.

The bottleneck with this setup is far less than i exspected. 1080P yes bottleneck in some games gpu load can be from 80 to 99 % but 2560 x 1600 and up it is still the gpu that hits the limit before my old cpu does. I exspected the bottleneck to be far worse than this. Because of this i have droped the plans for a newer cpu i else planed for then intel released there 14, 16 and 18 core cpu's.

GamesNexus already did something like this and found that unless you are playing Sniper Elite 4 the 1060 is the most powerful card you should pair with a pentium. Beyond that is diminishing returns and there is almost no performance gains from 1070 to 1080. Hence, the CPU is a bottleneck in those games.

Intel Xeon 1650 V0 (4.4GHz @1.4V), ASRock X79 Extreme6, 32GB of HyperX 1866, Sapphire Nitro+ 5700XT, Silverstone Redline (black) RL05BB-W, Crucial MX500 500GB SSD, TeamGroup GX2 512GB SSD, WD AV-25 1TB 2.5" HDD with generic Chinese 120GB SSD as cache, x2 Seagate 2TB SSHD(RAID 0) with generic Chinese 240GB SSD as cache, SeaSonic Focus Plus Gold 850, x2 Acer H236HL, Acer V277U be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4, Logitech K120, Tecknet "Gaming" mouse, Creative Inspire T2900, HyperX Cloud Flight Wireless headset, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit