Stay on Android or Switch to iOS?

The moment you have to use your iPhone outside of the system Apple created, you'll hate it. So you like Foobar2000 more than iTunes or you use Linux? Tough luck. Seriously, try getting files into or out of your phone by any means other than iTunes. You have to jump through hoops and nothing is guaranteed to work. Don't buy into walled gardens. Don't buy into anti-consumer practices.

1 hour ago, Takieght said:

Sorry, just realised how shitty I stated that. I meant in the way of speed over using data. Sorry for completely dying on that lmfao.

http://bgr.com/2017/09/13/iphone-x-iphone-8-vs-galaxy-s8-lg-v30-t-mobile-verizon/

Please give me a reason why you need gigabit internet on a phone...especially mobile data :P 

Spoiler

2 hours ago, Takieght said:

Do they slow down their old phones to make you buy new ones? Yes

Apple, supports their phones (updates wise) much better than all android phone makers. For example, the iPhone 5 was shipped with iOS 6 originally and it finally got its updates cut with IOS 11 coming up (10.3 is the latest OS it has), which requires a 64 bit SOC. Same goes for the iPhone 4S, shipped with iOS 5 and the latest OS it has is 9.3.5. While on the Android side, phones equipped with the S801 (i.e. 2014 android flagships) had its support cut when Android 7.0 came out which came out in Summer 2016.

In other words, both the iPhone 4S and the 5 got 5 years worth of OS updates however, on the android side, manufacturers only promise 2 years of updates anyway so...its safe to say that you only get 2 years? This mean that there is a 3 year difference in support so... :P 

Also, what do you expect when a whole new "revision" of an OS come out? For it to run faster although it typically has a lot more features?

Yes, but not updating might also slow down your phone. 

And the same applies for android phones. Anyone remember old touchwiz? All I can hear is Samsung S3/S4 users crying about their phone being sooooooooooooo slow...

For the less tech-savvy people.

And they are specifically the people who don't need filesystem or heck, customization :D 

Anyway, sorry for quoting you on so many things but ya know, IMO they aren't correct so gotta put in my two cents...

1 minute ago, noahdvs said:

The moment you have to use your iPhone outside of the system Apple created, you'll hate it. Seriously, try getting files into or out of your phone by any means other than iTunes. You have to jump through hoops and nothing is guaranteed to work. Don't buy into walled gardens.

Is it really that hard? when I had my iPhone 5, I was able to just use windows 7's file explorer and was able to copy and paste all the photos onto my computer without any issues, just like my current phone, a Z3C :P 

Looking at my signature are we now? Well too bad there's nothing here...

What? As I said, there seriously is nothing here :) 

1 hour ago, Mr.Meerkat said:

Please give me a reason why you need gigabit internet on a phone...especially mobile data :P 

Reveal hidden contents

Apple, supports their phones (updates wise) much better than all android phone makers. For example, the iPhone 5 was shipped with iOS 6 originally and it finally got its updates cut with IOS 11 coming up (10.3 is the latest OS it has), which requires a 64 bit SOC. Same goes for the iPhone 4S, shipped with iOS 5 and the latest OS it has is 9.3.5. While on the Android side, phones equipped with the S801 (i.e. 2014 android flagships) had its support cut when Android 7.0 came out which came out in Summer 2016.

In other words, both the iPhone 4S and the 5 got 5 years worth of OS updates however, on the android side, manufacturers only promise 2 years of updates anyway so...its safe to say that you only get 2 years? This mean that there is a 3 year difference in support so... :P 

Also, what do you expect when a whole new "revision" of an OS come out? For it to run faster although it typically has a lot more features?

And the same applies for android phones. Anyone remember old touchwiz? All I can hear is Samsung S3/S4 users crying about their phone being sooooooooooooo slow...

And they are specifically the people who don't need filesystem or heck, customization :D 

Anyway, sorry for quoting you on so many things but ya know, IMO they aren't correct so gotta put in my two cents...

Is it really that hard? when I had my iPhone 5, I was able to just use windows 7's file explorer and was able to copy and paste all the photos onto my computer without any issues, just like my current phone, a Z3C :P 

Did you manage to put music on your phone or copy music from it through the file explorer? Can you put PDFs on your phone through the file explorer? My last iPhone was the iPhone 4, which was already old when I got it, but I don't expect Apple to change.

Just now, noahdvs said:

Can you put PDFs on your phone through the file explorer?

Nope but do people really view PDFs on their phone? The only time I would view a PDF on my phone is if I get sent one in a email...

6 minutes ago, noahdvs said:

Did you manage to put music on your phone or copy music from it through the file explorer?

Nope and yes, fair point but I did manage to get around it actually...forgot how I did get around it  but I managed to get 200~ MP3 files onto it so...

Just now, Mr.Meerkat said:

Nope but do people really view PDFs on their phone? The only time I would view a PDF on my phone is if I get sent one in a email...

I don't do it much since I don't hook my phone up with my computer much, but I might do it if I wanted to read some documentation when I'm in an area where signal strength is low and I already have it on my computer. I go into the mountains about every summer.

Just now, Mr.Meerkat said:

Nope and yes, fair point but I did manage to get around it actually...forgot how I did get around it  but I managed to get 200~ MP3 files onto it so...

Yeah, that's precisely my problem. I could buy an iPhone which is a PITA to use on Linux or I could buy an Android phone which can actually integrate with Linux (KDE Connect is the shiznit). Locking down a device that much is anti-consumer in my book.

I think that it is hard to use one system while people around you using another one. 

No doubt about that. 

Let me list it out for you: 

iOS:

• More stable than android.
  • Apps are more polished and unified. and more stable. 
  • It last longer. You get more system update with it. And the update is "up to date". Not getting 2016 update at 2017. 
  • Less customizations. (Almost no customization at all)
  • You basically can only use your app, unlike android you can make the phone do whatever you want. 
  • iPhones cost much, compares to most of the android phone. 

Android: 

• More customizable. 
  • More hardware to choose from. 
  • Cheaper. 
  • Less stable software. 
  • Less system update. 
  • you get the idea...

The bottom line is this OP, what kind of user are you? 

1. A power user wants to let its phone do what they want it to do. Customize it, install different rom to it, change its theme, make it do wonders. 
  2. Another type of user only use their app. Like me. i only care about what kind of app I am using, and I want it to work with 0 downtime. I don't care about how it looks, I don't care about whether it has some certain feature (microSD card and lots of internal storage, swappable battery etc). I only use it to do a certain number of things. 

If you are the 1st type then you should NOT choose iOS. It looks great, everything is more polished and united. But as soon as you go deeper, you will see that there is nothing more to dig... What you see is what you get. It got better with time, just like android. But it is still iOS. 

But if you are like me, who thought fuck those 2 years OS update only, and don't want to play it like a toy and customize the shit out of it end up sacrificing 40% of battery life, you should switch to iphone. Let me tell you the battery only drains 1-2% every night without charging it. 

*Can your android phone do that? 

If it is not broken, let's fix till it is. 

5 hours ago, Jrock said:

Are you cracked? Its got the fastest mobile cpu in it... 6 cores. Maybe do some research before you pull shit outta your ass...

http://indianexpress.com/article/technology/iphone-8/apple-iphone-x-a11-bionic-performance-geekbench-test-result-4846197/

The S8, S8 plus, Note 8, Essential Phone, and LG V30 all have 8 cores. If you're going to argue that more cores means faster, then all of these phones are faster than the iPhone X.

5 hours ago, Jrock said:

My daily phone was an iphone 4 up until 16 months ago.

It ran IOS 6 great. never slowed down. Got my 5s, came with ios 9 i think, iphone 6s came out, no slow downs, iphone 7 came out, no slow downs. iphone 8/x coming out, NO SLOW DOWNS...

iOS vs Android is a very subjective topic. I like iOS better. Some may like Android better. Honestly, there's no point in arguing. 

All of the people I know that have iPhones claim that their phones in fact get slower with new updates, so either you've somehow dodged multiple bullets or you're hoping that people will just take your word for granted when really you know that your phone has gotten slower. 

I'm not saying that iPhones are bad, I'm just saying that you should try to argue more valid reasons for why you think iPhones are better than Androids. And I do say think because it all comes down to what you prefer and what works best for you, and that answer is not the same for everyone.

42 minutes ago, SunTea said:

All of the people I know that have iPhones claim that their phones in fact get slower with new updates, so either you've somehow dodged multiple bullets or you're hoping that people will just take your word for granted when really you know that your phone has gotten slower.

My iPhone 4 did get slower with the last major system update it got.

1 hour ago, mrchow19910319 said:
Spoiler

123.jpg.ea0411481ee11f60f72eb3933601c863.jpg

1vzpo6.jpg.67546a72600df91bfd74c3f420d661ea.jpg

Sad reality is both are true...

1 hour ago, SunTea said:

All of the people I know that have iPhones claim that their phones in fact get slower with new updates

Is that after a major update? (i.e. iOS 8.x to 9)

If so, what did you expect? For it to run faster although more features are now included...

Also did I mention about the disastrous update from android 5.1.1 to android 6.0 on my Z3C? 

- Battery life halved as 'real' stamina mode no longer exists (google forcing their own battery management, forcing Sony to basically delete their own, in other words google certification requirements). And no, this is not an exaggeration, from 2 day typical usage down to not even 7:00-18:00 on a single charge so never mind even getting any where near the second day...

- Made my phone hang or lag sometimes which it never did before on 5.1.1 and before.

- Other minor issues such as the stupid "overlay detected" thing (actually it wasn't really minor as I was unable to use half of my apps until I installed 6.1).

3 hours ago, noahdvs said:

Locking down a device that much is anti-consumer in my book.

Depends really, considering how many people stream music now with soundcloud/spotify, being able to load MP3s aren't that important anymore :P

Also remember typical consumers requirements =/=enthusiasts requirements. 

But if you are like me, who thought fuck those 2 years OS update only, and don't want to play it like a toy and customize the shit out of it end up sacrificing 40% of battery life, you should switch to iphone. Let me tell you the battery only drains 1-2% every night without charging it. 

Actually yes, my Android phone can do that.

Though my phone has a far bigger battery than even most flagships at 4K mAh.

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

I think that it is hard to use one system while people around you using another one. 

No doubt about that. 

Let me list it out for you: 

iOS:

• More stable than android.
  • Apps are more polished and unified. and more stable. 

[...]

Android: 

• Less stable software. 

This is not really true. Stability of apps is entirely dependent on the party developing the app. The Apple App store is supposed to be more curated, but they don't really do it that much. Apple does require you to pay $100 to put an app on the app store though. Android is quite stable as well. If you pick your apps based on ratings and number of users (the logical thing to do anyway, no matter the platform), your experience with Android apps will be basically the same as iOS.

2 minutes ago, noahdvs said:

I was on my nexus 6p a year ago and one system update caused my stock camera app, stock one, not 3rd party one, not really fishy one from 3rd party app website to crash. And it crashes instantly whenever I opened it. Also other 3rd party app does not seemed to adjust themselves really while after a system update. you might said this is an individual issue, but still. I want my phone to work 100% of the time. that's my 2 cents.. 

42 minutes ago, Zodiark1593 said:

Actually yes, my Android phone can do that.

Though my phone has a far bigger battery than even most flagships at 4K mAh.

Good for you. 

okay... let me change my semi passively aggressive tone and ask you did you do any sort of customization to it? Enabled some app, installed a different rom in your phone? Or is it out of the box that good. 

If so, which one? Cos android I owned previously sucks balls when it comes to battery life. 

HTC 1 X

samsung s5

nexus 5

nexus 6p

4 hours ago, mrchow19910319 said:

. Let me tell you the battery only drains 1-2% every night without charging it. 

Yeah, just turn it off at night. 

Or be a normal person and plug in your phone before you go to bed. 

3 hours ago, Mr.Meerkat said:

Also did I mention about the disastrous update from android 5.1.1 to android 6.0 on my Z3C? 

- Battery life halved as 'real' stamina mode no longer exists (google forcing their own battery management, forcing Sony to basically delete their own, in other words google certification requirements). And no, this is not an exaggeration, from 2 day typical usage down to not even 7:00-18:00 on a single charge so never mind even getting any where near the second day...

- Made my phone hang or lag sometimes which it never did before on 5.1.1 and before.

- Other minor issues such as the stupid "overlay detected" thing (actually it wasn't really minor as I was unable to use half of my apps until I installed 6.1).

Ever heard of 'downgrading'? Assuming Sony didn't lock the bootloader and lock the recovery down one should be able to flash the older 5.1.1 firmware without harming user data by using Fastboot. My mum's Z3C died due to water damage before that update came out lmaoo (opened port cover + water = dead)

8 hours ago, Mr.Meerkat said:

Reveal hidden contents

And then when official support ends, custom ROMs are to the rescue. Open source projects like LineageOS support a wide gamut of devices, from the Galaxy S2 to the OnePlus 5. All of them are about to get LineageOS 15 (8.0).

idk

7 hours ago, Droidbot said:

Ever heard of 'downgrading'? Assuming Sony didn't lock the bootloader and lock the recovery down one should be able to flash the older 5.1.1 firmware without harming user data by using Fastboot.

Well I'm lazy, do you really think that I can be bothered downgrading the OS? Why should I have fix the issues caused by google being a neophyte at making OSes that doesn't decrease the usability of a device? 

7 hours ago, Droidbot said:

And then when official support ends, custom ROMs are to the rescue. Open source projects like LineageOS support a wide gamut of devices, from the Galaxy S2 to the OnePlus 5. All of them are about to get LineageOS 15 (8.0).

Two things:

1. official support>third-party support

2. Only some devices are supported plus third-party support on a third-party ROM? That sounds like a recipe of very little issues :D 

@Mr.Meerkat Let's not get into a fight about which is better. Everyone likes one over the other and that's true to basically everything.

Agree to disagree and move on since this isn't helping the OP anymore.

Make sure to quote or tag people, so they get notified.

53 minutes ago, Cyberspirit said:

@Mr.Meerkat Let's not get into a fight about which is better. Everyone likes one over the other and that's true to basically everything.

Agree to disagree and move on since this isn't helping the OP anymore.

I'm not fighting, just merely stating my opinion on the topic ;) 

2 hours ago, Mr.Meerkat said:

Well I'm lazy, do you really think that I can be bothered downgrading the OS? Why should I have fix the issues caused by google being a neophyte at making OSes that doesn't decrease the usability of a device? 

Two things:

1. official support>third-party support

2. Only some devices are supported plus third-party support on a third-party ROM? That sounds like a recipe of very little issues :D 

I find it very strange that they did so, as Samsung has included their own custom battery-saving crap in TouchWiz.

Some, but it is a pretty big list. I disagree with official > 3rd party, as I've encountered better community support on a lot of devices than the manufacturer support. For example, the camera and touch drivers in Sultan's LineageOS are MUCH better than the stock ROM ones on the OnePlus One. Not to mention that the 3rd party ROM is much more up to date and has better performance than the stock ROM to boot.  Not to mention that on most of these 'custom' ROMs most of the kernel source is supplied by the OEM anyway, and some components are rewritten.

idk