Anyone else hate modern smartphones?

TehhMiik

Okay so I'm someone who likes standards. I like the 16:9 and even 16:10 ARs of most screens. I absolutely despise this >16:9 bullcrap.

Anyone else?

No one likes fanboys.

I previously liked older smartphones when you truly had a variety to choose from. These days everybody just copies everybody these days

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

I like 2:1.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

My previous smartphone looks imo better than my current one and imo they can be bought so cheap these days there's barely any innovation left.

At this moment they are basically ditching all buttons and trying to make it as clean as possible.

I'm honestly hoping that someone soon will say "hey let's add buttons" and everyone goes "YEAH AWESOME IDEA" and hopefully that will bring back full physical keyboards.

I carry 2 smartphones, 1 of them is from 2013 i think and has a physical keyboard and i REFUSE to ditch it. I legit have no options, zero. 

Android with physical keyboard? 0 options, ffs...  Normal phones are like 90% for old people so that's not exactly an option anymore either.

Oh well, maybe at one point they'll realize it's time to start doing weird/funny stuff again and start creating unique things to be different from the rest of the market.

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

4 minutes ago, samcool55 said:

My previous smartphone looks imo better than my current one and imo they can be bought so cheap these days there's barely any innovation left.

At this moment they are basically ditching all buttons and trying to make it as clean as possible.

I'm honestly hoping that someone soon will say "hey let's add buttons" and everyone goes "YEAH AWESOME IDEA" and hopefully that will bring back full physical keyboards.

I carry 2 smartphones, 1 of them is from 2013 i think and has a physical keyboard and i REFUSE to ditch it. I legit have no options, zero. 

Android with physical keyboard? 0 options, ffs...  Normal phones are like 90% for old people so that's not exactly an option anymore either.

Oh well, maybe at one point they'll realize it's time to start doing weird/funny stuff again and start creating unique things to be different from the rest of the market.

YOu do have the blackberry priv, but that's pretty much it. but really people aren't being unique bc they look to apple/samsung for design ideas and everybody copies. it's sad really.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

I like it because it means I can have more text on my screen when reading stuff

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

I don't hate smartphones I just don't care about them at all, I literally never cared for smartphones always felt it was a waste of money given all I do is better done on PC... I have a cheap Lenovo one I don't even know its model, rarely use it... every thing internet and what not related I do on notebook/desktop it's just how I am...

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

What I truly despise is the amount of crap they come preinstalled with. Like seriously, if I wanted any of those apps I'd bloody install them myself.

Anyone who tells you that you can't do something is unimaginative and probably a coward.

4 minutes ago, terrytek said:

YOu do have the blackberry priv, but that's pretty much it. but really people aren't being unique bc they look to apple/samsung for design ideas and everybody copies. it's sad really.

Sadly the priv is already almost 2 years old, still overpriced and no longer getting updates anymore :/

I wish companies like Xiaomi or another chinese brand would create a smartphone with a physical keyboard to show the world at least one of them has the guts to compete with apple/samsung and be different than them.

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

6 minutes ago, Alariel said:

What I truly despise is the amount of crap they come preinstalled with. Like seriously, if I wanted any of those apps I'd bloody install them myself.

Totally agree. I would also like more phones to offer vanilla android. I know there is the pixel phones, but it's not available in a lot of European countries (of course you can buy it from certain online ""retailers"" but at a highly inflated price).

Also, what's the point of adding technology that didn't kick off when it was first launched, in newer phones? Linus made a small remark about this yesterday on the apple event when they announced the new iphone will have wireless charging.

This near bezeless trend, how long until this becomes a meme? I know, more screen real estate... but I've never looked at my S7 and thought "that bezel is thicc af"

Just now, FeralWombat said:

Totally agree. I would also like more phones to offer vanilla android. I know there is the pixel phones, but it's not available in a lot of European countries (of course you can buy it from certain online ""retailers"" but at a highly inflated price).

Also, what's the point of adding technology that didn't kick off when it was first launched, in newer phones? Linus made a small remark about this yesterday on the apple event when they announced the new iphone will have wireless charging.

This near bezeless trend, how long until this becomes a meme? I know, more screen real estate... but I've never looked at my S7 and thought "that bezel is thicc af"

I just want a Nexus 5x successor. I liked the bland design and just wish it wasn't limited to two GB of ram, easily overheated chip, and at the time of production, lg cutting corners with soldering leading to bootloops. Could of used a larger battery while at it. Fingerprint reader was in a great place, the camera superb (No OIS, or digital stabilization however...), and the easy loading of roms.

I currently rock an S8+ and love it but there are some serious things I miss about older smartphones in particular anything Pre S5.

1)  Removable and replaceable batteries.  Li-ion batteries naturally lose their recharge ability over time.  I'd rather spend the 13 bucks to replace one then have to buy a new phone or risk breaking the thing/taking it to someone else to do it because the back is completely sealed off.  My most recent experience was with my S6 battery simply wouldn't hold a charge anymore after the Nougat update and I was stuck with having to upgrade or just essentially keep a brick of a phone.

2)  General ruggedness and durability.  I get these new phones look great and Samsung claims to use "gorilla glass" and I haven't had any problems with the S8...yet.  However, speaking from experience I had an S3 in a simple thin UAG case no screen protector I could take the thing out on military field training exercises for weeks and it would still come out unscathed and working like new.  I would not dare even try to do the same with the S8 and its massive albiet beautiful display. 

3) Apple, Headphone jack nuff said there.  I still can't fathom the company that changed how people download and listen to music decided that this was a good idea.  I know moving forward with lightning, adapters, and new standards but I can't say I agree with it.

4 minutes ago, LordTaco42 said:

3) Apple, Headphone jack nuff said there.  I still can't fathom the company that changed how people download and listen to music decided that this was a good idea.  I know moving forward with lightning, adapters, and new standards but I can't say I agree with it.

Basically same thing people said when they removed the printer port from desktops.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

2 minutes ago, Enderman said:

Basically same thing people said when they removed the printer port from desktops.

And proceeded to replace it with an existing port, on a device with several of those ports. unless of course you will appreciate dongles for phones

I don't see the problem, you aren't missing out on any vertical resolution when it comes to the S8 for example. They just made it taller without making it slimmer (in terms of pixel count). You can watch a movie exactly the way you could before, just with unnoticeable black bars on the sides.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

31 minutes ago, Princess Cadence said:

I don't hate smartphones I just don't care about them at all, I literally never cared for smartphones always felt it was a waste of money given all I do is better done on PC... I have a cheap Lenovo one I don't even know its model, rarely use it... every thing internet and what not related I do on notebook/desktop it's just how I am...

I am similar, although with what I do for work it’s not always easy to use my laptop or desktop, so instead I use my desktop from my phone. Therefore I’m using my desktop. I don’t do much work on my phone. 

Main System: Phobos

AMD Ryzen 7 2700 (8C/16T), ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 16GB G.SKILL Aegis DDR4 3000MHz, AMD Radeon RX 570 4GB (XFX), 960GB Crucial M500, 2TB Seagate BarraCuda, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations/macOS Catalina

Secondary System: York

Intel Core i7-2600 (4C/8T), ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3, 16GB GEIL Enhance Corsa DDR3 1600MHz, Zotac GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB, 240GB ADATA Ultimate SU650, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

Older File Server: Yet to be named

Intel Pentium 4 HT (1C/2T), Intel D865GBF, 3GB DDR 400MHz, ATI Radeon HD 4650 1GB (HIS), 80GB WD Caviar, 320GB Hitachi Deskstar, Windows XP Pro SP3, Windows Server 2003 R2

Another thought (hope this doesn't hijack the thread)

Materials used to make the shell, why slippery glass or aluminum or both. Honestly I would like to see a phone with the same rubberized plastic you have on good mice, for grip, comfort and probably ruggedness. Yea I know, can buy a phone case, but we are talking about phones as they are out of the box, I feel.

I love the way cell phones have advanced. Huge screens in small bodies? Hell yes! It's finally my dream come true!

I hate massive phones, but want a large screen. 18:9/10 accomplishes that with ease.

Why do you hate it? You don't lose anything at all, except a place for a front physical button..which is just the companies choice, it's not a requirement of the new screen format.

I assume that's your only gripe since it's the only thing you listed. Looking at all the other improvements (multiple cameras, greatly improved battery life, better security) it's hard to hate what they've become.

1 hour ago, samcool55 said:

1 hour ago, terrytek said:

Or the Blackberry KeyOne, which is actually a pretty solid device. Yes, it's on the high end price wise, but it's a niche market, and if you're part of it that's something you're going to have to bare. Judging by the massive success it's seen, I wouldn't be surprised if next year we see one with a better spec list.

47 minutes ago, tjcater said:

I just want a Nexus 5x successor. I liked the bland design and just wish it wasn't limited to two GB of ram, easily overheated chip, and at the time of production, lg cutting corners with soldering leading to bootloops. Could of used a larger battery while at it. Fingerprint reader was in a great place, the camera superb (No OIS, or digital stabilization however...), and the easy loading of roms.

What? You've never used a phone with a decent camera, have you. The one on the 5x is trash.

47 minutes ago, LordTaco42 said:

I currently rock an S8+ and love it but there are some serious things I miss about older smartphones in particular anything Pre S5.

1)  Removable and replaceable batteries.  Li-ion batteries naturally lose their recharge ability over time.  I'd rather spend the 13 bucks to replace one then have to buy a new phone or risk breaking the thing/taking it to someone else to do it because the back is completely sealed off.  -snip-

2)  General ruggedness and durability.  I get these new phones look great and Samsung claims to use "gorilla glass" and I haven't had any problems with the S8...yet.  However, speaking from experience I had an S3 in a simple thin UAG case no screen protector I could take the thing out on military field training exercises for weeks and it would still come out unscathed and working like new.  I would not dare even try to do the same with the S8 and its massive albiet beautiful display. 

-snip-

Removable batteries were never that cheap :P 

I've found the newer versions of GG to be extremely reliable...I've only ever used thin cases and never scratched or shattered a screen, and I don't treat them like a baby.

26 minutes ago, FeralWombat said:

Another thought (hope this doesn't hijack the thread)

Materials used to make the shell, why slippery glass or aluminum or both. Honestly I would like to see a phone with the same rubberized plastic you have on good mice, for grip, comfort and probably ruggedness. Yea I know, can buy a phone case, but we are talking about phones as they are out of the box, I feel.

Blackberry does this with a number of their phones, whether it be glass weave or a rubber like material. The problem with that, however, is getting companies that cheap out on such materials. Ever seen the rubberized coating on Logitech products after a while? Breaks down, wears off, and turns to absolute shit. I'd rather have glass and a case, than something like that.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

7 minutes ago, dizmo said:

What? You've never used a phone with a decent camera, have you. The one on the 5x is trash.

How so?

I'm split over the way smartphones are going. On one hand, I don't like that critical features such as actual buttons and headphone jacks are being removed, but on the other hand, there are now tons of manufacturers and everybody can find a phone they are happy with. 

Custom pinewood case, Corsair CX 600WRampage 3 Extreme, i7 980x (@4.2ghz) with ML240 Cooler MSI GTX 970, 24gb DDR3, 240gb OCZ Tr150 SSD + 2Tb Seagate Baracuda. 

Advocate for used/older hardware. Also one of the resident petrol heads. 

24 minutes ago, tjcater said:

How so?

Horrible auto focus even though it's supposedly laser assisted, takes forever to actually take the picture (mad processing time), the selfie camera is absolutely awful with the pictures looking like someone's cranked the brightness.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

Spoiler

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

2 minutes ago, dizmo said:

Horrible auto focus even though it's supposedly laser assisted, takes forever to actually take the picture (mad processing time), the selfie camera is absolutely awful with the pictures looking like someone's cranked the brightness.

I can agree with auto focus when something is around 4 inches away however the focus is pretty responsive in that after 1 second its fully focused.

I haven't experienced any issues with camera snapping speed which falls well under a second. (Granted it will process the HDR in the background after the photo is taken however that hasn't effected following photo snaps) I don't take selfies however a quick take only showed the room just barely brighter.

What was the last version of android you used with it?

1 minute ago, tjcater said:

I can agree with auto focus when something is around 4 inches away however the focus is pretty responsive in that after 1 second its fully focused.

I haven't experienced any issues with camera snapping speed which falls well under a second. (Granted it will process the HDR in the background after the photo is taken however that hasn't effected following photo snaps) I don't take selfies however a quick take only showed the room just barely brighter.

What was the last version of android you used with it?

Always the most current. If you compare it to a phone with a good camera (Note line, S line, etc) it's trash. I'd say the 5x is at best "serviceable". I wouldn't suggest it to someone looking for a phone with a good camera.

Spoiler

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

Just now, dizmo said:

Always the most current. If you compare it to a phone with a good camera (Note line, S line, etc) it's trash. I'd say the 5x is at best "serviceable". I wouldn't suggest it to someone looking for a phone with a good camera.

Maybe to top of the line phones it would be "adequate" but in general it is far from trash. I'm not suggesting that someone go out and buy this phone for the camera as this is a phone from 2015 and there are other phones that focus in this category. I haven't seen the Galaxy's lineup of cameras in person but in comparison to an iPhone 7, this camera is not that far from it. The camera is certainly better than most $300 phones out there now (A far more reasonable value for a phone IMO). I will stand by the camera being superb even with newer cameras being better.