X399 to Support Bootable NVME Raid on Sept 25

The Benjamins

DrOsTchay7E4O6xI.jpg

When AMD Ryzen Threadripper HEDT platform launched earlier this year, a shortcoming was its lack of NVMe RAID support. While you could build soft-RAID arrays using NVMe drives, you couldn't boot from them. AMD is addressing this, by adding support for NVMe RAID through a software update, scheduled for 25th September. This software update is in the form of both a driver update (including a lightweight F6-install driver), and a motherboard BIOS update, letting AMD X399 chipset motherboards boot from RAID 0, RAID 1, and RAID 10 arrays made up of up to ten NVMe drives. AMD confirmed that it has no plans to bring NVMe RAID support for the X370 or B350 platforms.

It is nice to see that X399 will be getting bootable NVME raid for free. This was one thing x299 had over x399 but now the table have turned.

https://www.techpowerup.com/236644/amd-to-enable-nvme-raid-on-x399-threadripper-platform

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

Love the emphasis on FREE.

Just now, tjcater said:

I mean when you can take shots at your competition, not doing so is a mistake

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

This was known quite some time though. 

But either way awesome. 

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

As an NVMe user, F#CK YEAH! But why? I guess RAID 1 makes sense, but 0?

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

3 minutes ago, ARikozuM said:

I'm still going for X299, so I can have RAID 0 NVMe SSDs with Optane cache for a total of 0.2ms shorter boot times.

Also, I will install every piece of bloatware on my motherboard's CD, AV, Steam, Skype, TuneUp. Everything"run at startup", of course.

Much optimized. Such accelerated.

19 minutes ago, ARikozuM said:

I use Raid 0 as a hardware level disk pairing to give a bigger size boot drive. for example using 2 1TB 960 Pros to get a nice 2TB bootable drive, the 7GBps reads is just a side effect.

I like how they put FREE in all caps xD 

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

2 hours ago, tjcater said:

The fact that 'free' needs to be emphasized speaks volumes about what a terrible market we have to deal with.

Is this chipset NVME raid that you could do on Intel boards free forever?

VROC is CPU NVME, which I don't think AMD has at all free or not. It *would* be a very AMD thing to do to try and confuse the issue and act like they're doing you a favor finally implementing a feature Intel has had for over a year.

Workstation:  14700nonk || Asus Z790 ProArt Creator || MSI Gaming Trio 4090 Shunt || Crucial Pro Overclocking 32GB @ 5600 || Corsair AX1600i@240V || whole-house loop.

LANRig/GuestGamingBox: 9900nonK || Gigabyte Z390 Master || ASUS TUF 3090 650W shunt || Corsair SF600 || CPU+GPU watercooled 280 rad pull only || whole-house loop.

Server Router (Untangle): 13600k @ Stock || ASRock Z690 ITX || All 10Gbe || 2x8GB 3200 || PicoPSU 150W 24pin + AX1200i on CPU|| whole-house loop

Server Compute/Storage: 10850K @ 5.1Ghz || Gigabyte Z490 Ultra || EVGA FTW3 3090 1000W || LSI 9280i-24 port || 4TB Samsung 860 Evo, 5x10TB Seagate Enterprise Raid 6, 4x8TB Seagate Archive Backup ||  whole-house loop.

Laptop: HP Elitebook 840 G8 (Intel 1185G7) + 3080Ti Thunderbolt Dock, Razer Blade Stealth 13" 2017 (Intel 8550U)

VROC is CPU NVME, which I don't think AMD has at all free or not.

People don't understand what the RAID key is for and extrapolate it towards all RAID configurations even though it only applies to RAID levels above 0, i.e. 1 and up. 

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 

16 minutes ago, AnonymousGuy said:

Is this chipset NVME raid that you could do on Intel boards free forever?

VROC is CPU NVME, which I don't think AMD has at all free or not. It *would* be a very AMD thing to do to try and confuse the issue and act like they're doing you a favor finally implementing a feature Intel has had for over a year.

well, as of now NO x399 has NVME drives go through the chipset, the go straight to the CPU. so for them to enable this raid feature it would have to be a CPU raid feature.

(I personally checked that Asus, AsRock, and gigabyte boards have all the NVME drives go through CPU PCIe lanes)

So AFAIK this is a CPU raid.

EDIT: The only things that go through the x399 chipset is Ethernet, Sata(but not m.2 sata), PCIe Gen2 add ons. (ex. 10Gbe cards)

2 minutes ago, The Benjamins said:

well, as of now NO x399 has NVME drives go through the chipset, the go straight to the CPU. so for them to enable this raid feature it would have to be a CPU raid feature.

So AFAIK this is a CPU raid

Ryzen chipsets provide very few lanes in the first place, eight of them, last I checked. 

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

Just now, ARikozuM said:

Ryzen chipsets provide very few lanes in the first place, eight of them, last I checked. 

TR4 provides 48 PCIe for "GPUs" aka PCIe slots and the last 12 is used for the 3 M.2 slots.

Also M.2 Sata is direct to the CPU. Ryzen has on die Sata were a 4x PCIe can be used as 2 6Gb sata.

threadripper-block-diagram.jpg

TR4 provides 48 PCIe for "GPUs" aka PCIe slots and the last 12 is used for the 3 M.2 slots.

Also M.2 Sata is direct to the CPU. Ryzen has on die Sata were a 4x PCIe can be used as 2 6Gb sata.

threadripper-block-diagram.jpg

Was that slideshow pre or post x299 announcement?

Just now, tjcater said:

Was that slideshow pre or post x299 announcement?

Post, but all you have to do was 2x the x370 block diagram. most people should of figured out that 3 NVME drives would be direct to the CPU.

Ryzen has 1 dedicated NVME drive lanes but due to the fact TR doesn't need 2 chip sets it gets another 4x PCIe to make it 3.

Just now, The Benjamins said:

Post, but all you have to do was 2x the x370 block diagram. most people should of figured out that 3 NVME drives would be direct to the CPU.

Ryzen has 1 dedicated NVME drive lanes but due to the fact TR doesn't need 2 chip sets it gets another 4x PCIe to make it 3.

I was just curious as the slideshow had EVERY CPU stand out.

3 minutes ago, tjcater said:

that was know before. AMD stated on TR announcement that every TR4 CPU would get the same PCIe amount of 60+4, we just didn't get a nice Block diagram laying out the standard setup until the 1950x, 1920x hit the shelves.

16 minutes ago, tjcater said:

Connectivity wise every Ryzen cpu is the same, every Threadripper is the same and every EPYC is the same (there are a few differences between single and dual-socket systems but the PCI-lanes stay the same (128 for both 1cpu systems and 2cpu systems, when there are 2 cpu's 64 lanes are used per cpu for communication between them, keeping the amount of available PCI-E lanes the same)

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

4 minutes ago, samcool55 said:

Connectivity wise every Ryzen cpu is the same, every Threadripper is the same and every EPYC is the same (there are a few differences between single and dual-socket systems but the PCI-lanes stay the same (128 for both 1cpu systems and 2cpu systems, when there are 2 cpu's 64 lanes are used per cpu for communication between them, keeping the amount of available PCI-E lanes the same)

I'm aware, I was just referring to their jab at Intel's X299 platform,

Just now, tjcater said:

I'm aware, I was just referring to their jab at Intel's X299 platform,

Yeah the way Intel is doing stuff is annoying and imo BS.

It makes selecting a CPU more difficult just because they want more money.

It wouldn't surprise me if people would go with AMD just because it's easier to choose the ideal CPU.

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

1 minute ago, samcool55 said:

Yeah the way Intel is doing stuff is annoying and imo BS.

It makes selecting a CPU more difficult just because they want more money.

It wouldn't surprise me if people would go with AMD just because it's easier to choose the ideal CPU.

Ya agree.

I know if I get a X370 Board I can run my GPU in 8x, my 10Gb SFP+ card in 8x, have a NVME drive as a boot drive and a M.2 Sata drive. with out any worries of bottle necking on a chipset.

That is what I need, I want a mATX X370 board but can't find one.

Ya agree.

I know if I get a X370 Board I can run my GPU in 8x, my 10Gb SFP+ card in 8x, have a NVME drive as a boot drive and a M.2 Sata drive. with out any worries of bottle necking on a chipset.

That is what I need, I want a mATX X370 board but can't find one.

None  for you !!!!

CPU: Intel i7 7700K | GPU: ROG Strix GTX 1080Ti | PSU: Seasonic X-1250 (faulty) | Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB 3200Mhz 16GB | OS Drive: Western Digital Black NVMe 250GB | Game Drive(s): Samsung 970 Evo 500GB, Hitachi 7K3000 3TB 3.5" | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z270x Gaming 7 | Case: Fractal Design Define S (No Window and modded front Panel) | Monitor(s): Dell S2716DG G-Sync 144Hz, Acer R240HY 60Hz (Dead) | Keyboard: G.SKILL RIPJAWS KM780R MX | Mouse: Steelseries Sensei 310 (Striked out parts are sold or dead, awaiting zen2 parts)

1 minute ago, XenosTech said:

None  for you !!!!

I can settle for the Asrock ab350m and have the 10Gb and sata drive share the chipset lanes.

1 minute ago, The Benjamins said:

I can settle for the Asrock ab350m and have the 10Gb and sata drive share the chipset lanes.

If you compromise it shows your weakness and they would have won. Fight for your beliefs man ! To battle !!

CPU: Intel i7 7700K | GPU: ROG Strix GTX 1080Ti | PSU: Seasonic X-1250 (faulty) | Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB 3200Mhz 16GB | OS Drive: Western Digital Black NVMe 250GB | Game Drive(s): Samsung 970 Evo 500GB, Hitachi 7K3000 3TB 3.5" | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z270x Gaming 7 | Case: Fractal Design Define S (No Window and modded front Panel) | Monitor(s): Dell S2716DG G-Sync 144Hz, Acer R240HY 60Hz (Dead) | Keyboard: G.SKILL RIPJAWS KM780R MX | Mouse: Steelseries Sensei 310 (Striked out parts are sold or dead, awaiting zen2 parts)