Recent Gigabyte x370 Bios Killing CPU's

Big PSA for users of these boards to avoid this firmware update until a fix is announced, so there's no chance of becoming a victim to it.

Its reported that basically inside the bios menu voltages on the vcore are fluctuating between 1.5-1.7 which is very very high, where as usual voltage is closer to 1.2 or 1.35-1.45 when OC'd, and the max you can even set in the bios is 1.55

F8 (Gaming 5) & F6 (x370 K7) bios has also been uploaded by Gigabyte today allegedly fixing the Vcore issue

F7 (Gaming 5),F5 (x370 K7) are no longer available to download and should be avoided

A warning to users of Gigabyte's X370 K7 motherboard: the most recent F5 BIOS version, which was posted as a stable release on the company's BIOS support page, has been originating reports from users as having increased the dynamic voltage applied towards stratospheric values (from a "healthy CPU vCore baseline.) The problem appears to be related to the usage of Gigabyte's Dynamic vCore functionality, where users that were seeing vCore values of around 1.2v started seeing those dynamic values, as set by the motherboard, being set to a crispy 1.55v(Or as high as 1.7v) instead, at the same clocks as before the BIOS update.

Source's: 

http://wccftech.com/amd-ryzen-cpu-gigabyte-x370-damage-burning-bios-update/

https://www.techpowerup.com/236659/latest-gigabyte-x370-k7-motherboard-bios-broken-dynamic-vcore-up-to-1-7v

4 minutes ago, Matu20 said:

Do you know how many were actually affected?

The article said there are 2 cases reported of dead chips, I know one on overclock.net reported that he believed his chip was damaged as cpu-z was showing 1.78vcore on desktop apparently

The tech powerup article I posted on the OP, has a few of I'm sure more to come examples of this.  

1 minute ago, Jito463 said:

Well, I was just about to install the F5 BIOS (running F4 beta at the moment) on my Gaming K7, now I'm glad I didn't.  Thanks for posting this.

Ya I'm on F4 (Also a K7) without much complaint and gonna wait a bit before touching F6 make sure its all guuchi even though they said its fixed.

There's a very active thread on this motherboard on overclock.net if you want to keep tabs on bio's information.

http://www.overclock.net/t/1625822/gigabyte-ga-ax370-gaming-k7-discussion/2530

Great it got fixed quick. 

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

Did they not validate it before releasing it?

✨PC Specs✨

AMD Ryzen 7 3800X | MSI MPG B550 Gaming Plus | 16GB Team T-Force 3400MHz | Zotac GTX 1080 AMP EXTREME

BeQuiet Dark Rock Pro 4 Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | NZXT 750W | Phanteks Eclipse P400A

Extras: ASUS Zephyrus G14 (2021) | OnePlus 7 Pro | Fully restored Robosapien V2, Omnibot 2000, Omnibot 5402

So it burns oc and stock chips?

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

regardless of if the chip is dead or not currently, any chip that ran this, has assuredly lost a lot of longevity.

4 minutes ago, NumLock21 said:

So it burns oc and stock chips?

i'm not 100% sure, its related to the offset voltage in the bios, but its pumping 1.7v into chips so, unexpecting users might get completely wrecked by this and have their chip/motherboard damaged

HDE2VJ8CRlPzbjmH.jpg

@Neokolzia Plese do remember to add a quote in the OP from the sources related to the article, as of currently it has been moved to the CPUs, Motherboards, and Memory section. 

3 hours ago, RagnarokDel said:

regardless of if the chip is dead or not currently, any chip that ran this, has assuredly lost a lot of longevity.

If one's CPU has been damaged by this update, is there any recourse as far as CPU replacement (and potentially lost time for workstation users) go?

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

59 minutes ago, W-L said:

@Neokolzia Plese do remember to add a quote in the OP from the sources related to the article, as of currently it has been moved to the CPUs, Motherboards, and Memory section. 

apologizes its been corrected, I saw some other large news threads that didn't have this and followed suite, since I essentially regurgitated in more direct words the pretty simple topic.  

20 minutes ago, Zodiark1593 said:

If one's CPU has been damaged by this update, is there any recourse as far as CPU replacement (and potentially lost time for workstation users) go?

I'm sure it'd be in Gigabyte's best interest to fork the cost of a replacement chip. Worst case scenario, you can always take them to small claims and win by default.