WB profiting of the death of one of their devs?

z31drifter
2 hours ago, Misanthrope said:

If the Arkham Knight scandal didn't fucking buried them this won't: Gamers are just fucking stupid.

Arkham Knight was a great game :S

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

IDK< I think what they are doing seems perfectly fine to me. 45 states is 90%, there are probably laws in place in the other 5 that restricts this. Also, people saying they should just donate it all to the family, its a business. They need to make money. Sure, they could be "fine" eating it, but that's just not how a large company works.

I think what they are doing is very commendable and nice.

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

12 minutes ago, spwath said:

IDK< I think what they are doing seems perfectly fine to me. 45 states is 90%, there are probably laws in place in the other 5 that restricts this. Also, people saying they should just donate it all to the family, its a business. They need to make money. Sure, they could be "fine" eating it, but that's just not how a large company works.

I think it's fine for them to take a cut since they did have production expenses, transaction fees, and lost DLC sales elsewhere. Although they're making $1.50/sale and a lot of the $3.50 can probably be written off in tax deductions, so, they probably could've increased the size of the donation at least -- or make 100% of the cost go to donations in the areas where it's legally allowed and make their money back from sales in other regions. I think it's fine that they can't accept donations in some states as it probably is a legal issue. I think international sales SHOULD have gotten a cut, but maybe there are legal issues there too. Although, again, I'm sure there are ways around those legal issues. 

The disclaimer is a bit lacking though. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

45 minutes ago, spwath said:

90% of america all other country are not included.  

7 hours ago, AnonymousGuy said:

That's really a piece of shit thing to do.  Yeah I get it you have development costs for this, but just fucking eat them and come out looking like heroes.

they have dev cost. It's not like one person worked on this.

Y'all the $1.50 extra is fees that they have to pay to get DLC up on all the platforms, WB is making NO money off this until 2020.

5 hours ago, djdwosk97 said:

I think it's fine for them to take a cut since they did have production expenses, transaction fees, and lost DLC sales elsewhere. Although they're making $1.50/sale and a lot of the $3.50 can probably be written off in tax deductions, so, they probably could've increased the size of the donation at least -- or make 100% of the cost go to donations in the areas where it's legally allowed and make their money back from sales in other regions. I think it's fine that they can't accept donations in some states as it probably is a legal issue. I think international sales SHOULD have gotten a cut, but maybe there are legal issues there too. Although, again, I'm sure there are ways around those legal issues. 

The disclaimer is a bit lacking though. 

They don't make a single cent since they explained the other 1.50 is the cost it takes for them to put up DLC on all 3 platforms.

I really don't see the problem here. They are donating a majority to the family of someone, which they didn't have to do in the first place. The gesture is better than most game companies would/have done in the past imo. 

CPU: Ryzen 5950X Ram: Corsair Vengeance 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14 | Graphics: GIGABYTE GAMING OC RTX 3090 |  Mobo: GIGABYTE B550 AORUS MASTER | Storage: SEAGATE FIRECUDA 520 2TB PSU: Be Quiet! Dark Power Pro 12 - 1500W | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU & LG C1

Well, if this DLC proves successful the family is certainly gonna get a good monetary compensation.

Of course, mostlikely no amount of money is going to make them feel better given the deceased loved one, but hey at least its a tribute and wether for good or bad it is there xD.

13 hours ago, z31drifter said:

The're probably laws that govern private donations in those states. Buy TB offers a simple solution of pledging a donation to a charity organization equal to the amount of 70% of all other sales.

And also, if they really couldn't get any of the money from pruchases outside the US to the family at least they could avoid making money out of it.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

4 hours ago, AdmiralMeowmix said:

Y'all the $1.50 extra is fees that they have to pay to get DLC up on all the platforms, WB is making NO money off this until 2020.

4 hours ago, AdmiralMeowmix said:

They don't make a single cent since they explained the other 1.50 is the cost it takes for them to put up DLC on all 3 platforms.

I have a very hard time believing that, although I would love to see some numbers that support that. Either way the problem arises when they get the full amount if the DLC is purchased otuside of the 45 states they include in the "offer".

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

what a stupid thing to care about. 

i5-4670K ~ RX 470 ~ Z87MX-D3H ~ MX300 525GB ~ CM Hyper 212+ ~ 12GB 1600MHz Ram ~ EarthWatts 650 ~ NZXT GAMMA ~ WD Blue 250GB

Just now, Jito463 said:

But a lousy port (at least at launch, if the myriad reports are to be believed).

I got the game at launch and I was able to play it at 1080p 60fps with basically everything on high with just the gameworks effects turned off after a week (and the gameworks effects were more of an issue that had to do with only 3gb of VRAM on my 780). I had the occasional hitch, but not much more than that. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

That's incredible. I can't believe that people are actually complaining about the fact that a company went out of their way to pay homage to one of their devs, and is even donating money to the family.

Do you know how many people die, any the company that they work for does nothing for the family? Yet here WB is, putting in work, making sure they help out the family. If the company catches flak for it, do you know what will happen in the future? Other companies, that might have thought of doing something similar, simply won't do it. Not worth the hassle. People that are complaining are ruining it. Fucking selfish pricks.

I don't care how much the company makes, the fact that they're donating anything is something to be proud of, and anyone who thinks otherwise needs to take their head out of their entitled asshole.

Moreover, has anyone actually asked the family, who is really the only person entitled to an opinion about this, what they think?

22 hours ago, AnonymousGuy said:

That's really a piece of shit thing to do.  Yeah I get it you have development costs for this, but just fucking eat them and come out looking like heroes.

No it's not. Setting up something like that, putting in the time, effort, resources, and then donating money to the family?

How is that a piece of shit thing to do? They didn't have to do anything, and here they are putting in tons of work.

22 hours ago, z31drifter said:

Agreed. But I think the fact that only a small percentage of the DLC sales are going to be eligible for donation to the family is the more grievous transgression here.  

I think it's wonderful. Why is it grievous? You know what they're entitled to? Nothing. And yet, here WB is going above and beyond to provide something to them. Attitudes like yours are a huge part of what's wrong with the world.

22 hours ago, matrix07012 said:

This is an incredibly shitty thing to do. Boycott WB?

Stupid reason to boycott someone. Stupid reason to bitch.

22 hours ago, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

Because developers know they will buy it anyways. It's DLC, every one says how much they hate it, yet they can't resist it. 

I love DLC. I love getting content for a game I like after its been released. Now, granted, some companies charge way too much, and that's where the issue should arise. Not wit the fact they're offering post release content at all.

21 hours ago, NumLock21 said:

They make so much, they should give all of it to his family. Not just $3.50.

Speaking of WB. There used to be a WB store in this mall I went to. Lots of cool apparels and stuffs, like Bugs Bunny, Daffy Duck, Porky Pig, Yosemite Sam, etc...

No, they should be happy they're getting anything at all.

19 hours ago, z31drifter said:

Its the deception. WB clearly states that 70% of every unit purchased will be given to the family. Where that simply is not true. I.E. advertising a charitable donation and only giving a small percent to the charity. 

What? $3.50 out of $5 is 70%. Where are they lying?
Did they have an asterisk by the every unit sold, or was it spoken, and thus taken out of context?

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

12 minutes ago, dizmo said:

What? $3.50 out of $5 is 70%. Where are they lying?
Did they have an asterisk by the every unit sold, or was it spoken, and thus taken out of context?

This is from their official trailer of the DLC:

LHm9ad1.png

So, no asterisk. 

I honestly don't have an issue with them "only" donating $3.50, but rather the fact that it's just from the sales in 45/50 US states and not any international sales even though the promo says "every" and then in very small text at the bottom that it's only 45/50 US States, and it doesn't mention that international sales are excluded -- although it's kind of implied (and was confirmed on Twitter).

Anyway, if you're going to make it a point that you're donating 70% of the sales, then you should be donating from international sales as well (and using one of the probably numerous loopholes to donate on sales made within those 5 states). 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

3 hours ago, djdwosk97 said:

This is from their official trailer of the DLC:

LHm9ad1.png

So, no asterisk. 

I honestly don't have an issue with them "only" donating $3.50, but rather the fact that it's just from the sales in 45/50 US states and not any international sales even though the promo says "every" and then in very small text at the bottom that it's only 45/50 US States, and it doesn't mention that international sales are excluded -- although it's kind of implied (and was confirmed on Twitter).

Anyway, if you're going to make it a point that you're donating 70% of the sales, then you should be donating from international sales as well (and using one of the probably numerous loopholes to donate on sales made within those 5 states). 

No asterisk, but look what's very clearly stated in the fine print at the bottom. So, no, it's not misleading in the least. People should read. There's likely very good reasons they singled out those 5 states. I don't know them, because I'm not familiar wit US law. There might be loop holes, sure, but is it worth it to research it and find them for every state, and then when it comes to international sales, every country? Probably not. It'd likely end up costing them more than the donations would be worth. At that point, why bother.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Well that's pretty stupid.

It's a great gesture, and I'm absolutely not saying they're evil people, but they're idiots (at least as far as marketing) for not donating all the money. It doesn't matter how much you're giving or who/what you're giving it to, people hate for-profit charities. There's no way around that.

I remember watching a TED talk from someone who runs a charity (or maybe several), and it was basically an extended rant explaining that them not donating all the money doesn't mean they're pocketing everything else and running away laughing. I don't think he made a dent in public opinion, of course...

2 hours ago, dizmo said:

No asterisk, but look what's very clearly stated in the fine print at the bottom. So, no, it's not misleading in the least. People should read. There's likely very good reasons they singled out those 5 states. I don't know them, because I'm not familiar wit US law. There might be loop holes, sure, but is it worth it to research it and find them for every state, and then when it comes to international sales, every country? Probably not. It'd likely end up costing them more than the donations would be worth. At that point, why bother.

I can't convince myself for a moment that there was enough legal garble in the way to keep them from including more than a part of one country. I think that stipulation is the only thing people have justification to be concerned about with this.

"Do as I say, not as I do."

-Because you actually care if it makes sense.

On 9/1/2017 at 3:44 PM, Misanthrope said:

It's a good thing you brought it up because I no longer listen to Mr. "WHO THE FUCK ASKED ARE TRAPS GAY?" Bisquit anymore. Yes he still makes decent points otherwise (like this one) but boy is he such a fucking moron sometimes.

Man what drives me insane is that time he raved on and on and for what felt like a month when he got a copyright strike on some garbage game he said was garbage, acting as if his entire YouTube career was over because the (most likely) appeal-able strike came against him. He gave so much attention to the developer that I knew more about them than I did whatever he was raging about, and for some reason it exploded around the internet for a few hours. Then you get those 10 paragraph Reddit posts explaining why he was in the right/wrong and dear mother I'm wasting as much time just talking about it

But then he got cancer so I couldn't even feel like I could hate on him for it

1 minute ago, Eaglerino said:

Man what drives me insane is that time he raved on and on and for what felt like a month when he got a copyright strike on some garbage game he said was garbage, acting as if his entire YouTube career was over because the (most likely) appeal-able strike came against him. He gave so much attention to the developer that I knew more about them than I did whatever he was raging about, and for some reason it exploded around the internet for a few hours. Then you get those 10 paragraph Reddit posts explaining why he was in the right/wrong and dear mother I'm wasting as much time just talking about it

But then he got cancer so I couldn't even feel like I could hate on him for it

I didn't follow that (And I am grateful for that) but it sounds to me like he made a bigger deal than Ethan and Hila (H3H3) that were actually sued and actually had to fight it out in court...for a while even.

-------

Current Rig

-------

Just now, Misanthrope said:

I didn't follow that (And I am grateful for that) but it sounds to me like he made a bigger deal than Ethan and Hila (H3H3) that were actually sued and actually had to fight it out in court...for a while even.

I still don't even know what happened with H3, or jake paul, so I would say it was a bigger deal cause I didn't care about all 3 but know what happened with his strike

Just now, Eaglerino said:

I still don't even know what happened with H3, or jake paul, so I would say it was a bigger deal cause I didn't care about all 3 but know what happened with his strike

Well similar situation: They made a reaction video mocking this Matt Hoss guy (a cheesy pick up artist) and he got so butthurt about it than he sue them for copyright infringement.

It was an interesting decision since the judge basically sided 100% with H3H3 and granted summary judgement (Basically saying their case was so strong for fair use it didn't even need to go to a jury)

That was a decent win for fair use litigation but it's still not a precedent and the Judge said as much very specifically.

-------

Current Rig

-------

I wonder if those 1.5$ are not a "steam/retailer" takes 25-40% of dlc cost" (basically service costs, listing dlc, credit card processing, handling chargebacks, downloads etc) and they couldn't get them to do it for free in this instance