WB profiting of the death of one of their devs?

z31drifter
On ‎2017‎.‎09‎.‎02‎. at 0:35 AM, AnonymousGuy said:

That's really a piece of shit thing to do.  Yeah I get it you have development costs for this, but just fucking eat them and come out looking like heroes.

you don't have multiple thousand dollar development costs to put a fucking skin in the game

CPU: Intel i7 5820K @ 4.20 GHz | MotherboardMSI X99S SLI PLUS | RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 @ 2666MHz | GPU: Sapphire R9 Fury (x2 CrossFire)
Storage: Samsung 950Pro 512GB // OCZ Vector150 240GB // Seagate 1TB | PSU: Seasonic 1050 Snow Silent | Case: NZXT H440 | Cooling: Nepton 240M
FireStrike // Extreme // Ultra // 8K // 16K

this is acctualy horrific, they should nclude all major distributions of thier DLC as well as any reseller that may be suppliing it, this is redculous

Yea... out of moral principle I will be avoiding the notion of purchasing this game, and will encourage my friends to do the same.

When corporate greed takes a turn for the surreal...

New Build (The Compromise): CPU - i7 9700K @ 5.1Ghz Mobo - ASRock Z390 Taichi | RAM - 16GB G.SKILL TridentZ RGB 3200CL14 @ 3466 14-14-14-30 1T | GPU - ASUS Strix GTX 1080 TI | Cooler - Corsair h100i Pro | SSDs - 500 GB 960 EVO + 500 GB 850 EVO + 1TB MX300 | Case - Coolermaster H500 | PSUEVGA 850 P2 | Monitor - LG 32GK850G-B 144hz 1440p | OSWindows 10 Pro. 

Peripherals - Corsair K70 Lux RGB | Corsair Scimitar RGB | Audio-technica ATH M50X + Antlion Modmic 5 |

CPU/GPU history: Athlon 6000+/HD4850 > i7 2600k/GTX 580, R9 390, R9 Fury > i7 7700K/R9 Fury, 1080TI > Ryzen 1700/1080TI > i7 9700K/1080TI.

Other tech: Surface Pro 4 (i5/128GB), Lenovo Ideapad Y510P w/ Kali, OnePlus 6T (8G/128G), PS4 Slim.

22 minutes ago, Phentos said:

Yea... out of moral principle I will be avoiding the notion of purchasing this game, and will encourage my friends to do the same.

When corporate greed takes a turn for the surreal...

They didn't have to add a reference to Forgey into the game at all. They could have just sold the same DLC without it being an homage to him and reaped 100% of the sales. Instead they chose to sell it in his name and give his family a majority of the sale. 

If anything that's the opposite of corporate greed. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

On 2/9/2017 at 3:56 AM, Remixt said:

I really don't see the problem here. They are donating a majority to the family of someone, which they didn't have to do in the first place. The gesture is better than most game companies would/have done in the past imo. 

On 2/9/2017 at 1:30 AM, Bcat00 said:

WHats the issue here, the family is getting something thats more than most companies would do for their employees.

The problem is not with the donation being cut 30% we all understand they have costs and that probably goes towards that.

The problem is that they were very shitty at being clear that not all donations would be helping the family.

Imagine a fan of his or smth from anywhere not the U.S. feels he would happily buy that piece of DLC as a gesture toward the family and the dev. Well turns out the gesture is going into WBs pocket. And that may not be wrong... BUT he should be aware of this fact.

LHm9ad1.png

I bet a colour-blind person can't read that fine print.. I'll ask my dad and confirm if you'd like.. It's common for fine prints to be like this.. but this mentions about U.S. states not included, through twitter we found out that the rest of the world is not included. And what percentage of the total sales of the game and likely the DLC does the rest of the world mean?

Personal Rig:

[UPGRADE]

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5900X    Mb: Gigabyte X570 Gaming X    RAM: 2x16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance Pro    GPU: Gigabyte NVIDIA RTX 3070    Case: Corsair 400D    Storage: INTEL SSDSCKJW120H6 M.2 120GB    PSU: Antec 850W 80+ Gold    Display(s): GAOO, 现代e窗, Samsung 4K TV

Cooling: Noctua NH-D15    Operating System(s): Windows 10 / Arch Linux / Garuda

[OLD]

CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-6500 @ 3.2 GHz    Mb: Gigabyte Z170X-Gaming 3    RAM: 2x4GB DDR4 GSKILL RIPJAWS 4    GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960    Case: Aerocool PSG V2X Advance    Storage: INTEL SSDSCKJW120H6 M.2 120GB    PSU: EVGA 500W 80+ Bronce    Display(s): Samsung LS19B150

Cooling: Aerocool Shark White    Operating System(s): Windows 10 / Arch Linux / OpenSUSE

42 minutes ago, VicBar said:

I bet a colour-blind person can't read that fine print.. I'll ask my dad and confirm if you'd like.. It's common for fine prints to be like this.. but this mentions about U.S. states not included, through twitter we found out that the rest of the world is not included. And what percentage of the total sales of the game and likely the DLC does the rest of the world mean?

Color blindness comes in many different forms -- I'm color blind and I have no problem reading it (other than it being very small and not knowing that it applies to donation regions since there are no asterisks at least in the main body anywhere). 

steamvalve_0187-630x420.jpg

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

2 hours ago, VicBar said:

The problem is not with the donation being cut 30% we all understand they have costs and that probably goes towards that.

The problem is that they were very shitty at being clear that not all donations would be helping the family.

Imagine a fan of his or smth from anywhere not the U.S. feels he would happily buy that piece of DLC as a gesture toward the family and the dev. Well turns out the gesture is going into WBs pocket. And that may not be wrong... BUT he should be aware of this fact.

LHm9ad1.png

it does say that donations will be made on purchases from any 1 one the 50 U.S states though....

but then again it does say that they will donate of every purchase.... so it's a gray area and probably maliciously crafted to be misleading

CPU: Intel i7 5820K @ 4.20 GHz | MotherboardMSI X99S SLI PLUS | RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 @ 2666MHz | GPU: Sapphire R9 Fury (x2 CrossFire)
Storage: Samsung 950Pro 512GB // OCZ Vector150 240GB // Seagate 1TB | PSU: Seasonic 1050 Snow Silent | Case: NZXT H440 | Cooling: Nepton 240M
FireStrike // Extreme // Ultra // 8K // 16K

Saw this over the weekend, cool thing they are doing. Shame they are not just committing the whole of the DLC to the family or outside of the 48 states but that said the family will be receiving a large sum in much needed assistance. Thing is WB could done absolutely nothing, the fact that they are committing this much says a lot for the staff.

I hope the family receives enough to cover the cost of the treatment and his burial expenses.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

3 hours ago, DXMember said:

and probably maliciously crafted to be misleading

I don't know if I'd believe it was done maliciously. I can't imagine the proceeds being donated would affect many people's decision to buy the DLC. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

4 hours ago, djdwosk97 said:

steamvalve_0187-630x420.jpg

That is an awesome graph, thank you!

http://www.vgchartz.com/game/77129/middle-earth-shadow-of-mordor/

Total Units

North America: 1.03m 33.6%
+ Europe: 1.49m 48.8%
+ Japan: 0.05m 1.6%
+ Rest of the World: 0.49m 15.9%
= Global 3.06m

This'll help me do some quick maths (I kinda suck at it, so feel free to contribute (i.e. correct me))

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So I'll be clear about the assumptions I'm about to make:

- Game will retail at $60.00 USD

- Game will sell exactly as much as Middle Earth: Shadow Of Mordor (though I expect it to sell more) with correspondent region %s.

- Only 51% of gamers will buy DLC (and all of them this special honor dlc) *

- It's over the lapse of 3 years (IDK how many it sold at launch)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So of 3.06M copies sold WB makes 183.6 million USD

Then 1.5606 million buyers will buy the DLC -> The sales total comes to 93.636 million USD.

Of those one and a half million buyers $3.50 USD goes to the family -> 5.4621 million USD

But of this only 33.6% is from the USA -> 1.8352656 million USD (not accounting valid/unvalid states)

Wow that's a lot of money right!? Holy shit so nice of WB, seriously.. Losing someone to cancer is truly devastating.

But of the 1.5606 millions who buy the DLC (potentially), only half a million (524,362) will be contributing honor the dev and his family.

So of the 7.803 million USD of sales of the DLC (potentially)  (1.5606 million DLC buyers x $5.00 DLC)..

WB is keeping.... -> 6 million dollars. (5.938 million USD)

That's quite a FKTON of money for the family! My heart swells with happiness that they get to be living comfortably after the provider (another assumption) passes and so tragically.

But WB fails to mention (and maybe even hides) the fact that they are going to make a pretty penny out of this. (8% of the total sales)

Now to adjust for the "cost of the DLC", because people explain that the $1.50 USD are to cover costs of it..

Of the $7.803 million USD the number of copies sold that bought the DLC (1.5606 million) * $1.50 USD -> $2.3409 million USD

So I guess WB's total profit from the DLC goes down to $3.5971 million USD: just 3.8% of total income from sales.

* http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-10-19-49-percent-of-gamers-dont-buy-dlc-report

Personal Rig:

[UPGRADE]

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5900X    Mb: Gigabyte X570 Gaming X    RAM: 2x16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance Pro    GPU: Gigabyte NVIDIA RTX 3070    Case: Corsair 400D    Storage: INTEL SSDSCKJW120H6 M.2 120GB    PSU: Antec 850W 80+ Gold    Display(s): GAOO, 现代e窗, Samsung 4K TV

Cooling: Noctua NH-D15    Operating System(s): Windows 10 / Arch Linux / Garuda

[OLD]

CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-6500 @ 3.2 GHz    Mb: Gigabyte Z170X-Gaming 3    RAM: 2x4GB DDR4 GSKILL RIPJAWS 4    GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960    Case: Aerocool PSG V2X Advance    Storage: INTEL SSDSCKJW120H6 M.2 120GB    PSU: EVGA 500W 80+ Bronce    Display(s): Samsung LS19B150

Cooling: Aerocool Shark White    Operating System(s): Windows 10 / Arch Linux / OpenSUSE

3 million copies sold

16 minutes ago, VicBar said:

49% have not purchased any DLC content, of any kind, in 2010-2011. So, 51% have purchased DLC in some form. You also have to consider that this is just one piece of minor DLC and is thus probably less likely to be purchased than something like a season pass/map pack/something big. So I'd personally guess that 51% is a pretty high estimate for this DLC. And You also have to take regional pricing into account (which can vary by 60%~) https://steamdb.info/app/356190/.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

On 9/1/2017 at 4:31 PM, z31drifter said:

WB

Regardless of where the purchase is made 30% ($1.50) is going to the WB. 

No, it's going to the platform holders. For example, if the dlc is bought on steam it goes to valve. If on xbox, it goes to microsoft.  You get the point. 

Wishing leads to ambition and ambition leads to motivation and motivation leads to me building an illegal rocket ship in my backyard.