Can you run a virtual machine and install a "fake" graphics card?

Anique

I have a top of the line Surface book Pro and bought it specifically to run Solidworks 2016. However, as I later found out, the GTX is horrible at Solidworks and other productivity programs.

My question: is it possible to run a virtual machine and virtually run a Quadro graphics card and drivers?

Thanks guys,

AI

2 minutes ago, Anique said:

I have a top of the line Surface book Pro and bought it specifically to run Solidworks 2016. However, as I later found out, the GTX is horrible at Solidworks and other productivity programs.

My question: is it possible to run a virtual machine and virtually run a Quadro graphics card and drivers?

Thanks guys,

AI

um.. what? I don't quite understand what you're asking.

Fan Comparisons          F@H          PCPartPicker         Analysis of Market Trends (Coming soon? Never? Who knows!)

Designing a mITX case. Working on aluminum prototypes.

Open for intern / part-time. Good at maths, CAD and airflow stuff. Dabbled with Python.

Please fill out this form! It helps a ton! https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/841400-the-poll-to-end-all-polls-poll/

No, you cant use a GTX to make a fake Quadro, thats not how that works. The quadro is good at rendering things very very precisely. The GTX cant replicate something that it wasn't built for in the first place. 

Specs:

Gaming PC: i5 3570, 16GB 1600MHz, GTX 780 3GB, Transcend 128GB, WD 500GB, Seagate 500GB, Thermaltake 600W Smart, S340 w/ RGB, Windows 10 Pro

Server: Xeon E5 2650, 12GB 1600MHz ECC, 8400GS, WD 2TB + 1TB + 1TB, EVGA 500B 500W, Windows 10 Pro

Laptop: Macbook Pro Retina 2013, i7 4558U, 8GB 1600MHz, Intel Iris Pro 1.5GB, Apple 256GB NVME, Mojave

Internet: $70/month For 500/100, Actually get 525/102

Just now, newcbomb said:

No, you cant use a GTX to make a fake Quadro, thats not how that works. The quadro is good at rendering things very very precisely. The GTX cant replicate something that it wasn't built for in the first place. 

You can. There are caps on the PCB that are either there or not (I forget) that make the driver installer think it's a GeForce or a Quadro card. And Quadros are based off the GeForce line, they're just binned for higher reliability.

1 minute ago, M.Yurizaki said:

Windows doesn't even provide the capability to virtualize the GPU, meaning the virtual machine manager has to emulate one.

Windows Server 2016 and later does. Pain in the ass to enable.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

Your question is "can I make my Prius perform like a Lambo by putting a Lambo's exhaust on it so it sounds like one?"

No, no you can't.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Just now, Imbellis said:

um.. what? I don't quite understand what you're asking.

I have a GTX 965M graphic card in my surface book. 

Can a virtual machine give me the ability to fool it to think I have a Quadro instead of a GTX?

Quadro firmware is better suited for CAD programs. 

4 minutes ago, Enderman said:

Your question is "can I make my Prius perform like a Lambo by putting a Lambo's exhaust on it so it sounds like one?"

No, no you can't.

That is the most accurate comparison here

" Can I have a get stronger by really, really thinking about it?"

Fan Comparisons          F@H          PCPartPicker         Analysis of Market Trends (Coming soon? Never? Who knows!)

Open for intern / part-time. Good at maths, CAD and airflow stuff. Dabbled with Python.

Please fill out this form! It helps a ton! https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/841400-the-poll-to-end-all-polls-poll/

3 minutes ago, Imbellis said:

Can I have a get stronger by really, really thinking about it?

Maybe you plebians can't. Drak3, on the other hand...

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

6 minutes ago, Anique said:

Can a virtual machine give me the ability to fool it to think I have a Quadro instead of a GTX?

You wouldn't gain any performance boost - I'd say at minimum, you'd lose ~25% of the computational power.

58 minutes ago, Anique said:

No, sorry. You'll only get a worst graphics card, at best the same one with no fooling.

What you can look into, with the risk of bricking your Surface Book, is vBIOS replacement to fool the graphics card driver in thinking you have a Quadro. But beside optimized drivers for CAD software which will give you some performance gain, you still don't have the GPU features of a Quadro as those are cut out, or simply not there on the chip, depending on the card. Also, I never done this, don't know the success rate, don't know what you'll need to edit on the vBIOS, so do it at your own risk. Keep in mind that you can not replace the GPU if it bricks.