Changing or Upgrading your PC every 2 years

10 hours ago, Scruffy90 said:

Somewhere in the middle. Ive been over building my pcs for a while and it isnt always the best idea for the avg user. Just don't make the mistakes I did when I built my first rig and blow your budget on cpu and gpu, and skimp out on the rest.

Yes, I do agree somewhere in the middle is the best option.

The way I see it, and this is completely my opinion... Never build a computer or buy components with the mindset of "future proofing". I honestly don't believe in "future proofing" when it comes to electronics and technology. Future proofing is a marketing scheme.

Ideally, I'd say the sweet spot would be something like a Ryzen 7 1700 or 7700k, paired with a 1070. That setup deff going to be good for 2 years. But then it really comes down to what you need in a computer. Are you going to be content creating AND gaming? Or just gaming? If you're actually going to benefit from lets say a Threadripper or X99/X299 platform, then by all means go for it. 

For instance overclocking mainstream Intel CPUs is extremely expensive for very small return, get the cheapest h110m board you can find and throw the locked i7 7700 on it using stock cooler, if this is just for gaming 8gb of Value Select 2133mhz ram will be more than enough, then get the cheapest GTX 1080 because they all perform close to the same.

If you don't care about aesthetics or noise and just want the best performance for your money you can do "miracles".

Take my rig for instance it was dead cheap in comparison to going i7 7700k or Ryzen 7 1700 full enthusiasm build but it performans close enough to them in gaming which is the main purpose for the machine, every thing in the build was cheap enough so I could make a high end gaming computer for almost half the price people would pay for this kind of performance, why? because I don't care about the noise and looks of the metal itself only to how good my games look on the screen.

The TITAN X Pascal was second hand, got someone to sell it for the same price 1080ti FE goes, it was only 2 months used any ways and I did feel exotic and funnier with a Titan card :P

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

Incrimental upgrades. I built my pc almost 15 years ago and just upgrade a part or 2 every year or so to get my current rig today. I've developed a upgrade schedule to upgrade graphics every other year and cpu (with motherboard and ram if needed) every 3. Plus pc parts is on my birthday and Christmas wishlist every year. 

@Ster123_, remember something. When you get a mid range PC, after 2-3 years, assuming you want a certain level of graphics and performance you want to maintain,  you'll change just the GPU. Your CPU and the rest is most likely remain perfectly fine, especially if you get a 6+ core CPU now (which you should be able to get with AMD new CPUs and Kaby Lake mid range CPUs i5's). Games don't push CPUs anymore. People with Sandy Bridge system still plays the latest and greatest games at very high visual setting having just a powerful GPU. And for them they probably upgraded their RAM from 8GB to 16GB. Their whole computer was not replaced.

So my suggestions is wait for Kaby lake, and based on that pick the latest AMD Razen (if anything comes out until then) or Core i5 Kaby Lake (which should be 6 core, and cost the same as now). A mid to mid-high end range GPU (depending on screen resolution that you have now and plan to get, and budget), 16GB of RAM, Decent PSU, decent air cooled cooler for the CPU for quietness and overclocking if you care about that, a decent SSD 256GB (get a HDD if you have a lot of games you want installed at the same time or have lots of data). Decent case, and that is pretty much it. 3 years from now, assuming games continues to get fancier and not stall due to console, expect to upgrade just the GPU, and then another 3 years later, your system would be 6 years old, and now you you can change your system.

20 hours ago, Ster123_ said:

Sure? 

Yes, the correct move is always buying what you need now.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Hi,i bought my 400dollars pc,and i felt pretty regret which is because i didn't bought a great cost performance. Maybe a new motherboard(help you upgrade your PC ),  then buy some other used parts(which is expensive) .that is a good method for your first step to build your pc. And i think 400dollars is enough, that's all(g4560 r51400nothing better than these two guys )

i went with, build a super over spect computer and keep throwing money at it for no reason beyond fun. im closeing in or have breached 2K for my rig now lol

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

3 hours ago, M.Yurizaki said:

Or rather, buy what exceeds your current requirements.

If I built a machine that just met my requirements, I'd probably be piddling around with a Pentium and a GTX 1050 Ti.

Well, if you don't need anything else, why would that be a problem? I don't mean the bare minimum that will let you tag along, I mean what will allow you to do what you need as well as possible without being underutilized.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Building from scratch is hardest part. But there I agree that midrange is best. Something you can upgrade fairly cheap when there's need. Even if it means just GPU and used CPU.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

2 hours ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

i went with, build a super over spect computer and keep throwing money at it for no reason beyond fun. im closeing in or have breached 2K for my rig now lol

Once the i9 7980xe is released my cpu will surpass that :P 

I'm Batman!

Steam: Rukiri89 | uPlay: Rukiri89 | Origin: XxRukiriXx | Xbox LIVE: XxRUKIRIxX89 | PSN: Ericks1989 | Nintendo Network ID: Rukiri

Project Xenos: Motherboard: MSI Z170a M9 ACK | CPU: i7 6700k | Ram: G.Skil TridentZ 16GB 3000mhz | PSU: EVGA SuperNova 850w G2 | Case: Caselabs SMA8 | Cooling: Custom Loop | Still in progress 

• 4 weeks later...

My preference would be a combination.  Get a motherboard, CPU and case that will last a long time, as (I believe) they're the most labor intensive parts to replace.  Then, replace the other parts (that are easier to swap/upgrade, like CPUs, storage, RAM, GPUs, etc) periodically, as needed.  (Unfortunately motherboard/CPU socket makers (especially Intel) seem to like to make different generations of CPUs incompatible with different generations of motherboards.  AMD might be a bit better there, but I still would like wider compatibility.)