Changing or Upgrading your PC every 2 years

Hello guys,

my question is:

Should I build a cheap pc that still matches the actual needed components standart that is needed for gaming and upgrade it every 2 years or so?

Or should I invest more money in a mutch better pc which i won't have to change for a longer time (about 5 years)?

It's a simple question, hope you guys can answer it easily and help a pc noob ;).

Thanks.

1st one.

PSU Nerd | PC Parts Flipper | Cable Management Guru

Helpful Links: PSU Tier List | Why not group reg? | Avoid the EVGA G3

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

Delta (Laptop) | Galaxy S21 Ultra | Pacific Spirit XT (Server)

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

Pacific Spirit XT - Server

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

Just now, JDE said:

1st one.

Sure? 

For the cheap version i am thinking at about 700-800€ and for the long lasting one at 1300€.

Just now, Ster123_ said:

Sure? 

For the cheap version i am thinking at about 700-800€ and for the long lasting one at 1300€.

What European country do you live in?

PSU Nerd | PC Parts Flipper | Cable Management Guru

Helpful Links: PSU Tier List | Why not group reg? | Avoid the EVGA G3

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

Delta (Laptop) | Galaxy S21 Ultra | Pacific Spirit XT (Server)

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

Pacific Spirit XT - Server

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

Just now, JDE said:

What European country do you live in?

Germany

You don't want the extremes. You don't want too budget, and nor high-end and above.

Budget will cost you more in the long run as you'll change your PC too often.

High-end is useless as you'll have newer technologies/features that might interest you and you'll miss out.

Get a PC that meet your needs at 3-4 years. My recommendation is to get something that fits your needs now and some headroom. But nothing crazy.

Also, consider what you'll get in the future. For example, you may have a 1080p screen now, but you plan later to get a 1440p or even 4K UHD screen next year... well you want to build a computer with that mind.

personally, I say wait until Kaby lake desktop CPUs are released, and compare with AMD offerings and start from there. i would say 'wait for Nvidia next gen Volta", but with AMD not pushing things with their latest Vega GPU, sadly,  it might not come soon.

I've been selling/building computers for years in a professional setting.

You build a little up from what you need. Get a good base that will last for a few years and that a updated video card will refresh the computer and bring it back to life. Most people buy small and end up going bigger down the road which in the long run is more money.

X-10 - 7980XE - Gigabyte Aorous Gaming 9 - 128GB GSkill TridentZ RGB - SLI Asus GTX 1080 TI Strix
Easy Desk GuideMalware Removal Guide - New mobo, Same OS Guide

Just now, ttam said:

I've been selling/building computers for years in a professional setting.

You build a little up from what you need. Get a good base that will last for a few years and that a updated video card will refresh the computer and bring it back to life. Most people buy small and end up going bigger down the road which in the long run is more money.

Sry but i do not understand what you are meaning in the last sentence.

2 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

You don't want the extremes. You don't want too budget, and nor high-end and above.

Budget will cost you more in the long run as you'll change your PC too often.

High-end is useless as you'll have newer technologies/features that might interest you and you'll miss out.

Get a PC that meet your needs at 3-4 years.

100% agreed. I would much rather buy a 1070 and not have to upgrade for another 3 years and then upgrade to a similar midrange card. If I got the 1080ti I know I would be way to tempted to upgrade sooner than 5 years and end up spend more money than I really should. That being said there is nothing wrong with spending a lot of money on something you really enjoy as long as you can afford it.

1 minute ago, Ster123_ said:

Sry but i do not understand what you are meaning in the last sentence.

They buy a budget build and upgrade all the components  one by one soon after. 

If your PC helps you make money, GET THE ABSOLUTE BEST NOW.

If not, GET THE ABSOLUTE BEST NOW and make more money elsewhere. 

Nuff said.

....Or ignore that, be frugal and follow your first suggestion :D

Just now, Brooksie359 said:

100% agreed. I would much rather buy a 1070 and not have to upgrade for another 3 years and then upgrade to a similar midrange card. If I got the 1080ti I know I would be way to tempted to upgrade sooner than 5 years and end up spend more money than I really should. That being said there is nothing wrong with spending a lot of money on something you really enjoy as long as you can afford it.

I want to build a 7700k gtx 1080 pc.

And i am not going to change it until it won't work amymore on low at the newest games (under 60fps)...

So don't understand that i want the best system on the market every year...

Somewhere in the middle. Ive been over building my pcs for a while and it isnt always the best idea for the avg user. Just don't make the mistakes I did when I built my first rig and blow your budget on cpu and gpu, and skimp out on the rest.

Windows 10 Edu | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | Ryzen 9 3950x | 4x 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB| ROG Strix GeForce® RTX 2080 SUPER™ Advanced edition | Samsung 980 PRO 500GB + Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB + 8TB Seagate Barracuda | EVGA Supernova 650 G2 | Alienware AW3418DW + LG 34uc87c + Dell u3419w | Asus Zephyrus G14

They buy a budget build and upgrade all the components  one by one soon after. 

And is this fine or not?

Just now, Ster123_ said:

I want to build a 7700k gtx 1080 pc.

And i am not going to change it until it won't work amymore on low at the newest games (under 60fps)...

So don't understand that i want the best system on the market every year...

Yes but you would be better off getting a 1070 and upgrading sooner. 

Just now, Ster123_ said:

And is this fine or not?

Well it would be better to just build the upgraded build from the start but most people don't want to wait to save up that much money.

1 minute ago, Brooksie359 said:

Yes but you would be better off getting a 1070 and upgrading sooner. 

Yeah but the 1070 is at the moment at about 450-500€ and the 1080 550€

Just now, Ster123_ said:

Yeah but the 1070 is at the moment at about 450-500€ and the 1080 550€

Then just get the 1080

Then just get the 1080

Ok thanks...

I personally buy a 1000$CAD worth PC every 2 years because it might be considered high end but since i'm reselling the parts it only costs me 300$ or so every time after the 1st. and higher end hardware maintains it's price much better for resell. an i7 is still super good even after 2 years. an i3 or i5 lost allot of it's value with how the trends evolved recently. so I'd actually recommend doing something that's a bit of both. going high but reselling when upgrading to keep your overhead cost low.

Primary System

• CPU
    Ryzen R6 5700X
  • Motherboard
    MSI B350M mortar arctic
  • RAM
    32GB Corsair RGB 3600MT/s CAS18
  • GPU
    Zotac RTX 3070 OC
  • Case
    kind of a mess
  • Storage
    WD black NVMe SSD 500GB & 1TB samsung Sata ssd & x 1TB WD blue & x 3TB Seagate
  • PSU
    corsair RM750X white
  • Display(s)
    1440p 21:9 100Hz

I'm on the two-ish year cycle, if only because I'm too weak to suppress the urge to build. But my builds are rarely above $1200 USD and I can find ways to recycle parts to lower the cost of my next build. But really it depends if your computer meets your current requirements. As long as you keep them reasonable, you'll find a nice balance between upgrading constantly vs. not really upgrading.

And even then, the only thing I've found that "needs" upgrading is the video card.

I build two identical machines, one for me and one for my wife.

My full upgrade cycle is 3-4 years. With a possible GPU upgrade somewhere in the middle if it makes sense. I built new machines about 9 months ago and the previous machines did not get new GPU's, because it wasn't worth it for the budget I had. By the time there were new GPU's that fit my budget and had noticeably better performance it was time for a whole new build. 

I do my builds based on budget. I set a target cost that I have the money for, then I start looking for good deals and start gathering up parts. Sometimes this can take months to gather all the parts. For the last cycle I got the SSD's in October, CPU's during a Black Friday sale and the rest leading up to Christmas. Then built the machines during the Christmas/New Years holiday's.

9 hours ago, Ster123_ said:

Hello guys,

my question is:

Should I build a cheap pc that still matches the actual needed components standart that is needed for gaming and upgrade it every 2 years or so?

Or should I invest more money in a mutch better pc which i won't have to change for a longer time (about 5 years)?

It's a simple question, hope you guys can answer it easily and help a pc noob ;).

Thanks.

Neither, you buy the 7700k and the 1080, then in two years sell the 1080 and buy a 1280, you'll end up paying the same.

10 hours ago, Ster123_ said:

Hello guys,

my question is:

Thanks.

I would say build a machine that will last a while. Heres the deal things like HDD, RAM and cases can be reused pretty much till they die. PSU's I would say could be there too, but only if you get a good quality one. RAM wise I dont think we will see DDR5 any time soon. Which means as long as you buy current parts, you will be able to use your ram for a few builds. Hard drives are mechanical, they will work till the parts in side wear out generally. SSD kinda fall in to this, but they do have a limited amount of writes they can do, So Id be a bit careful on reusing an SSD if your keeping important data on it. Cases pretty much last forever if you take care of them.

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn.