Spotify and Squarespace are cracking down on alleged "hate groups" and "hate bands"

Oh god. What are these companies thinking?

Music has always been a way of expressing yourself, right into the core of music it is build up around the idea of expressing yourself. How are people going to use it as a platform to express themselves if companies are removing their things,  because they don't agree with it? Sure if you don't like the music then don't hire them, but don't remove their ability to spread it,  which you can see companies are doing in links posted by other people.

If you don't let people express themselves and have a open debate,  then how are you going to minimize "stupid"? You can't debunk it in a debate or anything like that. When you try to silence people, then you often end up giving them more reasons to fight for what they believe, hell more people might join their fight, not because they agree with their belief, but because they think they have been done wrong.

I believe that every person should have a right to spread what they think, but I also think that they should be open for debate about what they spread.

I never think it is okay to just ban opinions or anything like that, just imagine how one sided and boring everything would get.

You need different views of things and debates to really evolve as a human.

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

DAC and AMP: RME ADI 2 DAC

Speakers: Genelec 8040, System Audio SA205

Receiver: Denon AVR-1612

Desktop: R7 1700, GTX 1080  RX 580 8GB and other stuff

Laptop: ThinkPad P50: i7 6820HQ, M2000M. ThinkPad T420s: i7 2640M, NVS 4200M

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

@Notional

The clear answer is Anti-Trust moves are going to be made. They started with the "Neo-Nazis" first because, well, who's going to defend them? (Note: most of the people hit so far would be "White Nationalists", which are different. Few Americans are actually German. Which is always the first thing that boggles me head about the Neo-Nazi shtick.) But they've already moved on from "Neo-Nazi" to "Hate Speech". An Orwellian term of the highest degree. 

The speed at which all of SV has jumped on board, however, is going to be their downfall on this topic. This is straight up Collusive Blacklisting. Something quite illegal in the States. Lawsuits are going to drag on for a decade, though I doubt that half of the companies that'll be hit will still exist. No one really mentions that almost no one but Google & Facebook actually make money in SV.

In totality, it just means that rather than being a "common" platform, all of SV has chosen a political side. It means there will be alternatives developed, which means they will be better than the current platforms while actually making money. Couldn't happen to a nicer bunch of entitled arseholes. 

1 minute ago, Dackzy said:

Music has always been a way of expressing yourself, right into the core of music it is build up around the idea of expressing yourself. How are people going to use it as a platform to express themselves if companies are removing their things,  because they don't agree with it? Sure if you don't like the music then don't hire them, but don't remove their ability to spread it,  which you can see companies are doing in links posted by other people.

If you don't let people express themselves and have a open debate,  then how are you going to minimize "stupid"? You can't debunk it in a debate or anything like that. When you try to silence people, then you often end up giving them more reasons to fight for what they believe, hell more people might join their fight, not because they agree with their belief, but because they think they have been done wrong.

I believe that every person should have a right to spread what they think, but I also think that they should be open for debate about what they spread.

I never think it is okay to just ban opinions or anything like that, just imagine how one sided and boring everything would get.

You need different views of things and debates to really evolve as a human.

It gets better. Now they need to be forced to justify hosting about 1/2 of their rap tracks. This should be fun! Yes, please explain why calling Women every form of derogatory term isn't "hate speech". Did the B****es deserve it? <<--- This is now part of their argument for parts of their catalog.

1 minute ago, Taf the Ghost said:

It gets better. Now they need to be forced to justify hosting about 1/2 of their rap tracks. This should be fun! Yes, please explain why calling Women every form of derogatory term isn't "hate speech". Did the B****es deserve it? <<--- This is now part of their argument for parts of their catalog.

Oh it is way more than just half of the rap. It is surprisingly hard to find rap without some form of degrading slang in it.

TBH this is just one big shit show.

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

DAC and AMP: RME ADI 2 DAC

Speakers: Genelec 8040, System Audio SA205

Receiver: Denon AVR-1612

Desktop: R7 1700, GTX 1080  RX 580 8GB and other stuff

Laptop: ThinkPad P50: i7 6820HQ, M2000M. ThinkPad T420s: i7 2640M, NVS 4200M

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

Just now, Dackzy said:

Oh it is way more than just half of the rap. It is surprisingly hard to find rap without some form of degrading slang in it.

TBH this is just one big shit show.

Silicon Valley burning itself down in response to some Nazi LARPers is, in hindsight, going to be amazingly fitting. 10% of the pre-Social Media internet was terribly offensive Nazi jokes anyway. 

Wow, maybe that is it. The people in charge of SV now are the ones that couldn't ever get the fact that terrible jokes are terrible. It makes so much sense!

34 minutes ago, Dackzy said:

Unfortunately they can because they are private corporations and is not subject to the sanctions of the 1st Amendment

35 minutes ago, Dackzy said:

I agree.

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

A lot of people in this thread seem to be stuck on the idea that "they can legally do it!" (see all the argument about how they are a private company), but not many people seem to want to talk about if they SHOULD do it.

Or in the (slightly altered) words of Jeff Goldblum:

Yeah, yeah, but your (computer) scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could that they didn't stop to think if they should.

Until Internet is made a right they can do whatever they want with their service / platform.

Seeing as the few previous threads about this type of news turned into useless political debated, this thread is now locked.

No Trolling

• This includes flame wars such as NVIDIA vs AMD, political or religious debate.

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !