Intel cannonlake and icelake

19 minutes ago, MyName13 said:

I highly doubt your MB is cheap, we are comparing 45-50$ h110 with 80-95$ b350, i was taking about cheaper motherboard like asrock ab350m and Msi gaming pro, maybe the can handle hexa cores now, but what about future ryzen CPUs?I wouldn't overclock more than 4 cores on cheap overclocking motherboards.

Everyone says that everything below 3ghz for ram is too slow for ryzen, not every country has the same availability as yours, I can find only 16 gb 3200 mhz kits , 8 gb sticks are unavailable or too expensive.4% increase in performance is nothing, it's not worth even for a 10$ price increase.Ryzen benefits more than that.

There are less B350 motherboards on the market that can't handle an overclocked 8 core then I have fingers on right hand. The only board I know is really bad is the super shit MSI one with a triple phase VRM, but that one is fine for hexa core chips. You also don't NEED faster RAM, it's nice, but you don't NEED it. 

16 minutes ago, TheBeastPC said:

It seems like the 15-30% performance increase on coffee lake is a common feature that intel has promised with each cpu that they have released. If the dyes are shrinking, wouldn't this limit overclocking capabilities by using the 10nm process in terms of cooling the cpu since the dye is so small?

Well they are adding cores so maybe not that much 

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

19 minutes ago, TheBeastPC said:

It seems like the 15-30% performance increase on coffee lake is a common feature that intel has promised with each cpu that they have released. If the dyes are shrinking, wouldn't this limit overclocking capabilities by using the 10nm process in terms of cooling the cpu since the dye is so small?

Coffee Lake is 14nm++ node. This node really wasn't supposed to exist, but 10nm = 14nm+ but more expensive. That's why the first 10nm, which is Cannonlake, was canceled for mainstream. There was one use case, mid-level laptop CPUs, that it is being rolled out for in a few months.

Icelake will be a Node Shrink & a uArch upgrade. This is the first time, in a long while, that Intel has upgraded both at the same time. 

for starter people saying cinebench is great at showing raw horsepower

then why is 8350 winning in multi in cinebench but cant win in multitasking benches here

https://www.bit-tech.net/reviews/tech/amd-fx-8350-review/5/

http://techreport.com/review/23750/amd-fx-8350-processor-reviewed/9

also another thing how can anyone logically state intel wasnt ready for mass multicore cpus in the extreme series when they incorporated the mesh design into skx, isnt mesh used in mass multicore cpus? lol

What are the benefits of using the 10nm process?

14 minutes ago, TheBeastPC said:

Better power consumption would be my wild guess and *hopefully* better temps due to the cpu's drinking less power but who knows we could have another kaby lake heat crisis again.

CPU: Intel i7 7700K | GPU: ROG Strix GTX 1080Ti | PSU: Seasonic X-1250 (faulty) | Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB 3200Mhz 16GB | OS Drive: Western Digital Black NVMe 250GB | Game Drive(s): Samsung 970 Evo 500GB, Hitachi 7K3000 3TB 3.5" | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z270x Gaming 7 | Case: Fractal Design Define S (No Window and modded front Panel) | Monitor(s): Dell S2716DG G-Sync 144Hz, Acer R240HY 60Hz (Dead) | Keyboard: G.SKILL RIPJAWS KM780R MX | Mouse: Steelseries Sensei 310 (Striked out parts are sold or dead, awaiting zen2 parts)

22 minutes ago, pas008 said:

then why is 8350 winning in multi in cinebench but cant win in multitasking benches here

https://www.bit-tech.net/reviews/tech/amd-fx-8350-review/5/

Oi oi oi, do I see another use for my favourite article?

As you can see in the performance conclusion section, the 8320 OCed to 4.2GHz can match a stock 6600K in productivity applications which basically means that your article is too old and you should be looking at newer articles as programs have been optimised for more cores over the years, making cinebench more relevant actually as its scales very nicely with more cores/threads.

I mean the article you linked has 7-zip as part of the score and well...the FX trashes the 6600K like there's no tomorrow on it so...ermmmm :P 

https://www.ocaholic.ch/modules/smartsection/item.php?itemid=4003&page=7

29 minutes ago, TheBeastPC said:

Potential benefits:

- Lower power consumption

- Higher clock speeds

- Better performance (as 'signals' get to travel a smaller distance)

- More dies per wafer(?)

49 minutes ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

The only board I know is really bad is the super shit MSI one with a triple phase VRM

Welll..although its bad, its still 'good enough' to run a 1700 on it although I'd recommend zero overclocking xD 

Looking at my signature are we now? Well too bad there's nothing here...

What? As I said, there seriously is nothing here :) 

1 minute ago, Mr.Meerkat said:

Better performance (as 'signals' get to travel a smaller distance)

I guess so, since the dye is smaller and signals have a shorter distance to travel to communicate with each other. 

23 minutes ago, XenosTech said:

Better power consumption would be my wild guess and *hopefully* better temps due to the cpu's drinking less power but who knows we could have another kaby lake heat crisis again.

Temps are going to be dependent more so on how much intel decides to cram into the die. With the extra space from the shrinkage they may just shove more transistors into the cores.

1 hour ago, Taf the Ghost said:

Coffee Lake is 14nm++ node. This node really wasn't supposed to exist, but 10nm = 14nm+ but more expensive. That's why the first 10nm, which is Cannonlake, was canceled for mainstream. There was one use case, mid-level laptop CPUs, that it is being rolled out for in a few months.

Icelake will be a Node Shrink & a uArch upgrade. This is the first time, in a long while, that Intel has upgraded both at the same time. 

Source on the cancelled for mainstream?  2,4, and 8 core parts were in the pipeline at one point (and when I say pipeline I mean the silicon exists).

Workstation:  14700nonk || Asus Z790 ProArt Creator || MSI Gaming Trio 4090 Shunt || Crucial Pro Overclocking 32GB @ 5600 || Corsair AX1600i@240V || whole-house loop.

LANRig/GuestGamingBox: 9900nonK || Gigabyte Z390 Master || ASUS TUF 3090 650W shunt || Corsair SF600 || CPU+GPU watercooled 280 rad pull only || whole-house loop.

Server Router (Untangle): 13600k @ Stock || ASRock Z690 ITX || All 10Gbe || 2x8GB 3200 || PicoPSU 150W 24pin + AX1200i on CPU|| whole-house loop

Server Compute/Storage: 10850K @ 5.1Ghz || Gigabyte Z490 Ultra || EVGA FTW3 3090 1000W || LSI 9280i-24 port || 4TB Samsung 860 Evo, 5x10TB Seagate Enterprise Raid 6, 4x8TB Seagate Archive Backup ||  whole-house loop.

Laptop: HP Elitebook 840 G8 (Intel 1185G7) + 3080Ti Thunderbolt Dock, Razer Blade Stealth 13" 2017 (Intel 8550U)

17 minutes ago, Mr.Meerkat said:

As you can see in the performance conclusion section, the 8320 OCed to 4.2GHz can match a stock 6600K in productivity applications which basically means that your article is too old and you should be looking at newer articles as programs have been optimised for more cores over the years, making cinebench more relevant actually as its scales very nicely with more cores/threads.

I mean the article you linked has 7-zip as part of the score and well...the FX trashes the 6600K like there's no tomorrow on it so...ermmmm :P 

Potential benefits:

- Lower power consumption

- Higher clock speeds

- Better performance (as 'signals' get to travel a smaller distance)

- More dies per wafer(?)

Welll..although its bad, its still 'good enough' to run a 1700 on it although I'd recommend zero overclocking xD 

Yes it's fine for everything at stock, but not once you overclock. Also more transistors per wafer would be more accurate then more dies

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

5 minutes ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

Also more transistors per wafer would be more accurate then more dies

Well technically both are correct as the same amount of transistors on a smaller wafer = more dies per wafer :P 

Its down to how you word it really...

2 minutes ago, Mr.Meerkat said:

Well technically both are correct as the same amount of transistors on a smaller wafer = more dies per wafer :P 

Its down to how you word it really...

Well you don't need to keep transistor count, you might shrink the node by 30% but then just make the chips have 30% more transistors or 50% more or you could have less of them. 

Builds:

Spoiler

49 minutes ago, Mr.Meerkat said:

think you are missing the point of the multitasking,

article is old but still shows us higher multithreaded doesnt equal multitasking raw power
in real life many of us are using a mixture of single or multi threaded programs

point is cinebench isnt really showing real performance

its one or the other not combination

to me its just another benchmark that gives rough idea

because we all dont use one or the other

29 minutes ago, Dylanc1500 said:

Temps are going to be dependent more so on how much intel decides to cram into the die. With the extra space from the shrinkage they may just shove more transistors into the cores.

Not necessarily, it comes down to the glue they're using to keep the IHS on the die. They could cram a trillion transistors in it and we'd still be able to cool it, but fuck up the glue and as MageTank and others have noted it'll screw temps by a lot.

CPU: Intel i7 7700K | GPU: ROG Strix GTX 1080Ti | PSU: Seasonic X-1250 (faulty) | Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB 3200Mhz 16GB | OS Drive: Western Digital Black NVMe 250GB | Game Drive(s): Samsung 970 Evo 500GB, Hitachi 7K3000 3TB 3.5" | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z270x Gaming 7 | Case: Fractal Design Define S (No Window and modded front Panel) | Monitor(s): Dell S2716DG G-Sync 144Hz, Acer R240HY 60Hz (Dead) | Keyboard: G.SKILL RIPJAWS KM780R MX | Mouse: Steelseries Sensei 310 (Striked out parts are sold or dead, awaiting zen2 parts)

And, as he approached the lake, an EPYC vessel RYZED from the waters, like a moth RIPPING the THREADS in cloth.

Since I am to lazy to put something interesting here, I will put everything, but slightly abbreviated. Here is everything:

also, some questions to make you wonder about life:

What is I and who is me? Who is you? Which armrest in the movie theatre is yours?

also,

Welcome to the internet, I will be your guide. Or something.

My build:

CPU: Intel Core i5-7400 3.0GHz Quad-Core Processor,

Motherboard: ASRock B250M Pro4 Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard, 

Memory: Corsair 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory,

Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive, 

Video Card: MSI Radeon RX 480 4GB ARMOR OC Video Card, 

Case: Corsair 100R ATX Mid Tower Case , 

Power Supply: Corsair CXM 450W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply, 

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home Full, 

Wireless Network Adapter: TP-Link TL-WN725N USB 2.0 802.11b/g/n Wi-Fi Adapter, Case Fan: Corsair Air Series White 2 pack 52.2 CFM  120mm Fan

ou do not ask why, you ask why not -me

Remeber kinds, the only differ between screwing around and scince is writing it down. -Adam Savage.

Only two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not even sure of the former. - Albert Einstein.

Just now, pas008 said:

think you are missing the point of the multitasking,

article is old but still shows us higher multithreaded doesnt equal multitasking raw power
in real life many of us are using a mixture of single or multi threaded programs

point is cinebench isnt really showing real performance

its one or the other not combination

Ah, get your point now and well you've answered your own question already...

1 hour ago, pas008 said:

Cinebench is a benchmark that shows the raw horse power of a certain part, it was never design to show how something would perform in a real life scenario (to a certain point) so... :P 

2 minutes ago, Mr.Meerkat said:

Ah, get your point now and well you've answered your own question already...

Cinebench is a benchmark that shows the raw horse power of a certain part, it was never design to show how something would perform in a real life scenario (to a certain point) so... :P 

thats my point with links to show otherwise

then, but???

and showed links because if the raw multithreaded power should have showed otherwise in multitasking

39 minutes ago, AnonymousGuy said:

Source on the cancelled for mainstream?  2,4, and 8 core parts were in the pipeline at one point (and when I say pipeline I mean the silicon exists).

https://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/intel-coffee-lake-processor-14nm-hexacore/

That's Coffelake making the rounds in July, 2016. But with mention of Cannonlake in the ultra-low power Laptops.

https://www.kitguru.net/components/cpu/anton-shilov/intel-readies-ice-lake-processors-with-integrated-voltage-regulator/

July, 2015. Cannonlake "mainstream" was canceled. Coffee Lake would be added in 2016.

It gets messy because there's really not official announcements. It's just roadmap leaks. For stuff like Intel's server CPUs, they actually have working copies at least 2 years out already in the hands of their top-tier partners. 

2 hours ago, TheBeastPC said:

The 30% performance increase comes from shifting a mobile part from 2 cores to 4. In terms of IPC it looks like 1-2% at most with maybe a higher overclock when delidded.

13 hours ago, ARikozuM said:

Everyone also took up video editing lately, as well. 

Zen itself bred 1 million new streamers & video editors xD 

CPU: Intel Core i7 7820X Cooling: Corsair Hydro Series H110i GTX Mobo: MSI X299 Gaming Pro Carbon AC RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 (3000MHz/16GB 2x8) SSD: 2x Samsung 850 Evo (250/250GB) + Samsung 850 Pro (512GB) GPU: NVidia GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FE (W/ EVGA Hybrid Kit) Case: Corsair Graphite Series 760T (Black) PSU: SeaSonic Platinum Series (860W) Monitor: Acer Predator XB241YU (165Hz / G-Sync) Fan Controller: NZXT Sentry Mix 2 Case Fans: Intake - 2x Noctua NF-A14 iPPC-3000 PWM / Radiator - 2x Noctua NF-A14 iPPC-3000 PWM / Rear Exhaust - 1x Noctua NF-F12 iPPC-3000 PWM

18 minutes ago, ravenshrike said:

The 30% performance increase comes from shifting a mobile part from 2 cores to 4. In terms of IPC it looks like 1-2% at most with maybe a higher overclock when delidded.

How can you get a 30% performance increase from a 100% core increase? O.o

11 minutes ago, VagabondWraith said:

Zen itself bred 1 million new streamers & video editors xD 

Seriously, what's with that streaming and multitasking meme lately?

1 hour ago, XenosTech said:

Not necessarily, it comes down to the glue they're using to keep the IHS on the die. They could cram a trillion transistors in it and we'd still be able to cool it, but fuck up the glue and as MageTank and others have noted it'll screw temps by a lot.

I'm basing that off of a "perfect" cooling solution. The more transistors and voltage you pump into a chip the more heat is produced. If they keep everything the same and just shrink the node it will bring the amount of energy needed down producing less heat.  Of course if someone puts a crappy cooling solution on any chip it's going to heat up.

11 minutes ago, MyName13 said:

How can you get a 30% performance increase from a 100% core increase? O.o

Dropped base clock. It's a low power laptop part.

7 minutes ago, ravenshrike said:

Dropped base clock. It's a low power laptop part.

Is there any point of these cpus?Don't most laptop users need 2 fast cores instead of 4 slower ones?I'm worried that CL will be only for laptops (why did they even put a laptop on their announcement photo...).

3 minutes ago, MyName13 said:

Is there any point of these cpus?Don't most laptop users need 2 fast cores instead of 4 slower ones?I'm worried that CL will be only for laptops (why did they even put a laptop on their announcement photo...).

Some of us do need quad-cores in our laptops for work and not having to search for HQ is going to make things easier.

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers