EK Confirms 4.2GHz easily attainable on Threadripper

goodtofufriday
2 minutes ago, The Benjamins said:

Logan at OC3D saw the socket get really hot, and used a fan to cool it and the back plat. he stated the VRM on the Asus Zenith stayed cool even when it was eating 600+W

CPU pulling 600w? That doesn't sound right...

From what I've seen when OCed it should be 300-400w max... 600w is like OCed 7980XE. Maybe it was total system draw is 600w

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

16 cores at 4.5GHz with one of the higher end AIO's would be quite nice.

1 minute ago, DocSwag said:

From what I've seen when OCed it should be 300-400w max... 600w is like OCed 7980XE. Maybe it was total system draw is 600w

I think that was whole system, but it is 200+W higher then stock which would put it around 400-500W.

But the point is the VRM heatsink on the Zenith is very good, and that is not what held it back.

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

2 minutes ago, DocSwag said:

It is total system draw.

Actual CPU power draw measurements are hard to find in reviews, most of the times they plug a kill-a-watt and call it a day.

23 minutes ago, leadeater said:

Yea I said in mod chat "Brace yourselves for news section spam, Threadripper reviews just went live", yet nothing weird lol.

Meanwhile, in the mods kennel...

Spoiler

giphy.gif

1 minute ago, The Benjamins said:

But the point is the VRM heatsink on the Zenith is very good, and that is not what held it back.

Expected VRM disaster, disappointed.

OK, enough with the non-serious post.

1 minute ago, SpaceGhostC2C said:

It is total system draw.

Actual CPU power draw measurements are hard to find in reviews, most of the times they plug a kill-a-watt and call it a day.

If it means anything I know Anandtech measure CPU power draw through software utilities. Their CPU editor knows his stuff and has said before it's fine so I trust em.

Gamers nexus recently started doing CPU power draw measurements straight from the CPU 8 pin, also.

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

1 minute ago, Okjoek said:

How high can it be overclocked on stock voltage?

At stock it will all core boost to 3.7 Ghz, so their is your minimum OC at stock

24 minutes ago, The Benjamins said:

Logan at OC3D saw the socket get really hot, and used a fan to cool it and the back plat. he stated the VRM on the Asus Zenith stayed cool even when it was eating 600+W

Haha, I was just sharing that with you elsewhere.  I see you're on it. 

He was able to bring those high socket temps down with 2 x 120mm fans.  One aimed at the front of the socket and another at the back.

How the hell is someone going to be able to do that in a case?

Just now, done12many2 said:

Haha, I was just sharing that with you elsewhere.  I see you're on it. 

He was able to bring those high socket temps down with 2 x 120mm fans.  One aimed at the front of the socket and another at the back.

How the hell is someone going to be able to do that in a case?

Hybrid liquid cooling, do a standard loop and then submerge it in mineral oil.

Just now, The Benjamins said:

Hybrid liquid cooling, do a standard loop and then submerge it in mineral oil.

Problem solved.  Nothing else needs to be said here.  

1 minute ago, done12many2 said:

Problem solved.  Nothing else needs to be said here.  

Also due to it being in oil you can run the water loop through a chiller with out any worries of condensation.

I think I just solved x299,x399 OC heat problems.

Just now, The Benjamins said:

Also due to it being in oil you can run the water loop through a chiller with out any worries of condensation.

I think I just solved x299,x399 OC heat problems.

So to sum it up, 4GHz on all cores TR is going to require some specialized socket cooling of some type for daily use at that speed.  

If it's not one thing it another.  

These HCC chips (Intle and AMD) are really starting push the very limits of what people are going to be willing to do cooling wise to run them overclocked. 

1 minute ago, done12many2 said:

So to sum it up, 4GHz on all cores TR is going to require some specialized socket cooling of some type for daily use at that speed.  

These HCC chips (Intle and AMD) are really starting push the very limits of what people are going to be willing to do cooling wise to run them overclocked. 

Maybe I'm way off but while the cores are kept under control with just an AIO a waterblock that fully covers the IHS maybe able to take away some of that heat before it gets transferred tot he metal parts of the socket and back plate. 

-------

Current Rig

-------

3 minutes ago, done12many2 said:

well at least at stock with the 3.7 all core boost it runs "cool"

57 minutes ago, tom_w141 said:

All TR reviews suggest otherwise.

Also zen isn't thermal limited so to speak its voltage limited. Voltage required climbs exponentially around 4GHz. Yes you can reach higher with crazy cooling but that's because insane voltages are required. That's a process limit not a thermal one.

All the other TR reviews have waterblocks and custom loops already? I thought the blocks just launched? 

You cannot possibly compare an AIO to a custom loop, lol. While I don't expect 4.2 to be "easy", it's probably possible, as I do know of a guy with a very custom block for threadripper, doing 4.1 at "reasonable" voltages. 

Understand, the lower your thermals, the less voltage you need to stabilize any given clock speed. So in that regard, almost all overclocks are technically "thermal limited". 

My (incomplete) memory overclocking guide: 

Does memory speed impact gaming performance? Click here to find out!

On 1/2/2017 at 9:32 PM, MageTank said:

Sometimes, we all need a little inspiration.

2 minutes ago, Misanthrope said:

Maybe I'm way off but while the cores are kept under control with just an AIO a waterblock that fully covers the IHS maybe able to take away some of that heat before it gets transferred tot he metal parts of the socket and back plate. 

Sure it would help.  Less heat on the dies and IHS would mean that it's transferred into the water and away from the socket, but that would also imply that if you don't have super low core temps, you're more than likely going to have very high socket temps.

1 minute ago, MageTank said:

Understand, the lower your thermals, the less voltage you need to stabilize any given clock speed. So in that regard, almost all overclocks are technically "thermal limited". 

Very real talk here.  Something I wish more people understood.  They wouldn't think my water loop is that crazy then .  :D

Just now, done12many2 said:

Very real talk here.  Something I wish more people understood.  They wouldn't think my water loop is that crazy then .  :D

I am currently living it, lol. You were able to push this 7700k to 5.2ghz at the same voltage required for me to make it work at 5ghz. 

My (incomplete) memory overclocking guide: 

Does memory speed impact gaming performance? Click here to find out!

On 1/2/2017 at 9:32 PM, MageTank said:

Sometimes, we all need a little inspiration.

Just now, MageTank said:

I am currently living it, lol. You were able to push this 7700k to 5.2ghz at the same voltage required for me to make it work at 5ghz. 

To be fair, we have two completely different standards for testing.  My RealBench loads pale in comparison to your insanity.  Oh, and that 5.2 GHz RB stable was just on an AIO with cool ambient temps. ~21c  lol

Well if their is still no Threadripper review thread in 7 hours I will make one, maybe.

EDIT: and if this happens I will only use WCCF as a source.

EDIT2: Looks like LTT was spared.

3 minutes ago, The Benjamins said:

EDIT: and if this happens I will only use WCCF as a source.

You wouldn´t dare doing this. :)

4GHZ 32CORE CHIPS LETS GO GO

MOAR COARS: 5GHz "Confirmed" Black Edition™ The Build
AMD 5950X 4.7/4.6GHz All Core Dynamic OC + 1900MHz FCLK | 5GHz+ PBO | ASUS X570 Dark Hero | 32 GB 3800MHz 14-15-15-30-48-1T GDM 8GBx4 |  PowerColor AMD Radeon 6900 XT Liquid Devil @ 2700MHz Core + 2130MHz Mem | 2x 480mm Rad | 8x Blacknoise Noiseblocker NB-eLoop B12-PS Black Edition 120mm PWM | Thermaltake Core P5 TG Ti + Additional 3D Printed Rad Mount

Well it's really good as far as being binned dies and on stock it's quite efficient as well. 

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

Could someone TLDR: what does "socket got hot" mean?  Backplate?

Workstation:  14700nonk || Asus Z790 ProArt Creator || MSI Gaming Trio 4090 Shunt || Crucial Pro Overclocking 32GB @ 5600 || Corsair AX1600i@240V || whole-house loop.

LANRig/GuestGamingBox: 9900nonK || Gigabyte Z390 Master || ASUS TUF 3090 650W shunt || Corsair SF600 || CPU+GPU watercooled 280 rad pull only || whole-house loop.

Server Router (Untangle): 13600k @ Stock || ASRock Z690 ITX || All 10Gbe || 2x8GB 3200 || PicoPSU 150W 24pin + AX1200i on CPU|| whole-house loop

Server Compute/Storage: 10850K @ 5.1Ghz || Gigabyte Z490 Ultra || EVGA FTW3 3090 1000W || LSI 9280i-24 port || 4TB Samsung 860 Evo, 5x10TB Seagate Enterprise Raid 6, 4x8TB Seagate Archive Backup ||  whole-house loop.

Laptop: HP Elitebook 840 G8 (Intel 1185G7) + 3080Ti Thunderbolt Dock, Razer Blade Stealth 13" 2017 (Intel 8550U)