Paris is considering eSports for the 2024 Olympics

There's a reason that chess isn't already in the Olympics, that reason being that there is no level of physical achievement involved in the playing of chess.  The same is true for any esport, they shouldn't be included.

i7-5820k  |  MSI X99S SLI-Plus  |  4x4GB HyperX 2400 DDR4  |  Sapphire Radeon R9 295X2  |  Samsung 840 EVO 1TB x2  |  Corsair AX1200i  |  Corsair H100i  |  NZXT H440 Razer

1 hour ago, mynameisjuan said:

Wow the main point went right over your head....I compared the actually athletes and you compared the playing field. 

you clearly don't understand. what I'm saying is the characters in the game are like equipment in the games and that the person in this scenario is the person playing the game... 

I mean there is a difference in reflexes and hand eye coordination between people and that translates to the game. This is the same as how most equipment in sports work and just because people use the same equipment doesn't mean there isn't a way to use it with more skill and show that you are better with that equipment than others. also how are you comparing athletes? you are comparing the character they play to a person when the person is the one playing the game not a 2d representation of their character so clearly that went over your head. I mean you basically did the equivalent of comparing a soccer player and a tennis players racket.

1 hour ago, Orblivion said:

There's a reason that chess isn't already in the Olympics, that reason being that there is no level of physical achievement involved in the playing of chess.  The same is true for any esport, they shouldn't be included.

hmm I don't know about that. I mean most pro gamers have physical therapist because it is hard on the wrist. also the main point of the Olympics is entertainment and if there was a large enough interest in having chess in the Olympics it might actually be the case.

Doesn't belong in the olympics.

eSports should (and is doing a good job of) create its own events and venues, not try and piggy back on long standing events for publicity.

Besides, literally all eSports games are shit. (Except counterstrike, but it has a lot of shitty mechanics.)

4K // R5 3600 // RTX2080Ti

I'm against this. They would probably do something stupid like put Call of Duty on there and it would fail because they put Call of Duty on there.

PC gaming is cheap by the way. Hockey gear costs more than a computer. Hell, gym passes costs more than computers.

Nice! I was hoping for the Parisian pickpockets and small-time thieves to get a solid upgrade for their home computers + accessories, laptops and smartphones.

CPU R7 1700    Motherboard Asus Prime X370 Pro  RAM  24GB Corsair LPX 3000 (at 2933Mhz)    GPU EVGA GTX1070 SC  Case Phanteks Enthoo Pro M    

Storage 1 x 1TB m.2, 1x 500GB SSD, 1x 1TB HDD, 1x 8TB HDD  PSU Corsair RM1000  Cooling Thermalright Macho Rev B (tower)

Synology NAS 1 x 4TB 1 x 8TB

8 hours ago, Orblivion said:

Have you ever took a deep look into esports to say that?

Esports player aren't often as obese as people thought they would be because pros have a minimum of athletic training such as running etc,  to tune their body to be ready for high stress situations.

Even former NBA players end up chipping in that market recognizing similarities between esports professionals and NBA pro players in their training 

8 hours ago, Brooksie359 said:

hmm I don't know about that. I mean most pro gamers have physical therapist because it is hard on the wrist. also the main point of the Olympics is entertainment and if there was a large enough interest in having chess in the Olympics it might actually be the case.

1 hour ago, laminutederire said:

Have you ever took a deep look into esports to say that?

Esports player aren't often as obese as people thought they would be because pros have a minimum of athletic training such as running etc,  to tune their body to be ready for high stress situations.

Even former NBA players end up chipping in that market recognizing similarities between esports professionals and NBA pro players in their training 

You both misunderstood what I meant by physical achievement.  Video games being physically demanding doesn't mean the players are athletes.  Lumberjack competitions are incredibly demanding as well, but neither they nor esports represent any achievements of the human body.

i7-5820k  |  MSI X99S SLI-Plus  |  4x4GB HyperX 2400 DDR4  |  Sapphire Radeon R9 295X2  |  Samsung 840 EVO 1TB x2  |  Corsair AX1200i  |  Corsair H100i  |  NZXT H440 Razer

8 minutes ago, Orblivion said:

You both misunderstood what I meant by physical achievement.  Video games being physically demanding doesn't mean the players are athletes.  Lumberjack competitions are incredibly demanding as well, but neither they nor esports represent any achievements of the human body.

How about movement precision? Fast reflexes? High level of concentration ? 

9 hours ago, Brooksie359 said:

you clearly don't understand. what I'm saying is the characters in the game are like equipment in the games and that the person in this scenario is the person playing the game... 

I mean there is a difference in reflexes and hand eye coordination between people and that translates to the game. This is the same as how most equipment in sports work and just because people use the same equipment doesn't mean there isn't a way to use it with more skill and show that you are better with that equipment than others. also how are you comparing athletes? you are comparing the character they play to a person when the person is the one playing the game not a 2d representation of their character so clearly that went over your head. I mean you basically did the equivalent of comparing a soccer player and a tennis players racket.

Reread my comment and then write back. Characters in games are hard coded. You can only go this fast, do this much damage, have so much health, have so much stamina. In real life those values are everywhere in sports. 

I think calling gaming competitions eSports is a mistake to begin with.  They are fun to watch and do take skill at whatever game they are showing but they are not sports.  They should just be called tournaments or competitions because that is what they are.  A sport to me implies physical activity or physical competition.  Then again this is the same group of people who took wrestling out of the Olympics so I guess I can't be too surprised. 

2 hours ago, laminutederire said:

How about movement precision? Fast reflexes? High level of concentration ? 

vs. gross body movement and fatigue?

sorry, i respect Usain Bolt more than T3hn0obSly3r

[FS][US] Corsair H115i 280mm AIO-AMD $60+shipping

System specs:
Asus Prime X370 Pro - Custom EKWB CPU/GPU 2x360 1x240 soft loop - Ryzen 1700X - Corsair Vengeance RGB 2x16GB - Plextor 512 NVMe + 2TB SU800 - EVGA GTX1080ti - LianLi PC11 Dynamic

1 hour ago, knightslugger said:

vs. gross body movement and fatigue?

sorry, i respect Usain Bolt more than T3hn0obSly3r

Well everyone is entitled to their own opinion. One could say running is not as worthy as it's tactically poorer.

Besides there are archery and golf which are bordeline with your definition

3 hours ago, Orblivion said:

And curling does? Table tennis does? Do alot of the less physically intensive sports represent achievements of the human body? I would have to say based on your definition no. So I would say your argument is kinda irrelevant if it doesn't apply to all current Olympic sports.

3 hours ago, mynameisjuan said:

Reread my comment and then write back. Characters in games are hard coded. You can only go this fast, do this much damage, have so much health, have so much stamina. In real life those values are everywhere in sports. 

Yes that is true and those are basically the rules of the game just like how sports have rules as well and constraints but even though all athletes are restricted to the same rules and equipment the difference primarily come from how they use them. This is the same with esports. You clearly fail to understand that all games have restraints and just because the ones in esports are different from what you are used to doesn't make it any less valid. 

5 minutes ago, Brooksie359 said:

And curling does? Table tennis does? Do alot of the less physically intensive sports represent achievements of the human body? I would have to say based on your definition no. So I would say your argument is kinda irrelevant if it doesn't apply to all current Olympic sports.

so let's add knitting then. How about origami? or finger painting? how about tractor pulls?

i mean if we're going to turn this into a world fair, we might as well get the pig, goat, and horse judging in order.

System specs:
Asus Prime X370 Pro - Custom EKWB CPU/GPU 2x360 1x240 soft loop - Ryzen 1700X - Corsair Vengeance RGB 2x16GB - Plextor 512 NVMe + 2TB SU800 - EVGA GTX1080ti - LianLi PC11 Dynamic

4 minutes ago, knightslugger said:

so let's add knitting then. How about origami? or finger painting? how about tractor pulls?

i mean if we're going to turn this into a world fair, we might as well get the pig, goat, and horse judging in order.

They won't add those because the fan base isn't big enough while esports has a big enough fan base and alot more in common to competitive sports than those examples.

4 minutes ago, Brooksie359 said:

They won't add those because the fan base isn't big enough while esports has a big enough fan base and alot more in common to competitive sports than those examples.

never been to wisconsin eh?

besides, there's got to be something for "the fans" to do while other events that are far less appealing to them are going on... and hey... WORLD CLASS ORIGAMI! they could get a 60mm junk-silver "gold" medal for folding paper!

...just like a gamer could if they have a fast wrist and a quick click...

System specs:

New olympic sport!

Butchering - best cut slabs of steak

Filleting - prefect thinly slices fish for sushi

Barbarqueing - best tasting ribs

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

Hmm, it's not whole body physical kinda of sport if you will. So are not many sports so what, if it's very competitive and requires various things from person like fast thinking, reaction etc. it can be called sport. 

I get that computer based sport is odd addition but still. You're using a tool and your skillset to win. Many sports as well. 

Personally I don't care if it's on Olympics or not, expected it have it's own name. But whatever, it's good it will get more exposure. 

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

22 hours ago, Tech_Dreamer said:

No pleze don't . whats next ?  a twerk challenge being considered an active sports?

Well it's a good way to get thots active. 

Downside is that the arena will be filled with thots. 

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

4 hours ago, knightslugger said:

never been to wisconsin eh?

besides, there's got to be something for "the fans" to do while other events that are far less appealing to them are going on... and hey... WORLD CLASS ORIGAMI! they could get a 60mm junk-silver "gold" medal for folding paper!

...just like a gamer could if they have a fast wrist and a quick click...

Dude I used to have a cabin in Wisconsin. The fan base for esports is huge. The last world's tournament for league of Legends had a higher viewership than the NBA finals so to say that esports and those activities have the same fan base is just not true in the slightest.

1 minute ago, Brooksie359 said:

Dude I used to have a cabin in Wisconsin. The fan base for esports is huge. The last world's tournament for league of Legends had a higher viewership than the NBA finals so to say that esports and those activities have the same fan base is just not true in the slightest.

well considering esports is a world wide thing, and the rest of the world doesn't give a rat's ass about the NBA (just like me) i guess that's not so far a fetched thing to state.

System specs:

Just now, knightslugger said:

well considering esports is a world wide thing, and the rest of the world doesn't give a rat's ass about the NBA (just like me) i guess that's not so far a fetched thing to state.

Yes but it shows there is enough viewership to warrant the Olympics considering it because alot of the sports in the Olympics aren't as popular as basketball and so by extension esports. Them adding esports is about getting more viewers and as a result more revenue. 

4 minutes ago, Brooksie359 said:

Yes but it shows there is enough viewership to warrant the Olympics considering it because alot of the sports in the Olympics aren't as popular as basketball and so by extension esports. Them adding esports is about getting more viewers and as a result more revenue. 

so i guess if we're basing it off viewership and popularity... why is synchronized swimming still in the olympics? or diving for that matter?

you really think gamers from around the world are going to buy an Olympic ticket to watch two nerds duke it out in a FPS?

or are you just talking about network television?

System specs: