Paris is considering eSports for the 2024 Olympics

10 minutes ago, spartaman64 said:

im pretty sure only one place in the world had discus throwing as a tradition

i didn't say tradition. if you're going to keep putting words in my mouth I will end this discussion with you, post haste.

14 minutes ago, Brooksie359 said:

Idk about you but spear throwing isn't really shared universally. I mean I don't know many people who have even done spear throwing so to say it has to be universal is kind of silly. I mean look at the entire winter Olympics. They all are only shared in places that actually get snow so it isn't universal to alot of the world's population. In fact it is much more possible to get access to esports than it is to let say skiing. 

spear throwing has been a human activity since prehistoric times and takes physical human conditioning to do it further than the next person. if you can find a branch, you can throw a spear.

I can't exactly say that is true with esports...

[FS][US] Corsair H115i 280mm AIO-AMD $60+shipping

System specs:
Asus Prime X370 Pro - Custom EKWB CPU/GPU 2x360 1x240 soft loop - Ryzen 1700X - Corsair Vengeance RGB 2x16GB - Plextor 512 NVMe + 2TB SU800 - EVGA GTX1080ti - LianLi PC11 Dynamic

Just now, knightslugger said:

i didn't say tradition. if you're going to keep putting words in my mouth I will end this discussion with you, post haste.

spear throwing has been a human activity since prehistoric times and takes physical human conditioning to do it further than the next person. if you can find a branch, you can throw a spear.

maybe tradition was the wrong word but until recently it was only prevalent, common in one place. other places didnt do discus throwing. 

spear throwing has been a human form of combat since prehistoric times and takes physical human conditioning to do it further than the next person. if you can find a branch, you can throw a spear.

Yep and skiing was also done since prehistoric times. Oh wait no it hasn't and there are many other sports in the Olympics that have a barrier to being able to play it so I don't see your point.

How about seeing it as a necessity to gather expertise to make the Olympics more viewable everywhere. That could help them touch new platforms, such as live streaming on YouTube and so on?

In addition, Cs Go Dota and LoL gather more viewers worldwide than many sports combined in the Olympics. As a business standpoint it therefore makes sense.

The choice of games will be hard but interesting,  and there is not that much of an issue with game developers, there already are many huge LAN events happening anyway.

Last point: how fun it shall be to hear mainstream casters on that subject ! 

1 minute ago, Brooksie359 said:

Yep and skiing was also done since prehistoric times. Oh wait no it hasn't and there are many other sports in the Olympics that have a barrier to being able to play it so I don't see your point.

name one that that i've listed that isn't found anywhere on earth.

again, please keep in mind that i do not support all currently practiced Olympic events, so do not assume that I am OK with one over the other.

System specs:
Asus Prime X370 Pro - Custom EKWB CPU/GPU 2x360 1x240 soft loop - Ryzen 1700X - Corsair Vengeance RGB 2x16GB - Plextor 512 NVMe + 2TB SU800 - EVGA GTX1080ti - LianLi PC11 Dynamic

2 hours ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

It's an interesting new "spectacle" no doubt, but the term "esports" was just terrible from the start.

Yup. To me "esports" it is as strange as a noun to use to describe video games as "board sports" would be for chess.

I think FPV quadcopter racing would make a more interesting and skill-driven sport

plus, it's so much cooler to watch

Snorlax: i7 5820k @4.5ghz, Asus X99 Pro, 32gb Corsair Vengeance LPX 2666, Cryorig R1 Ultimate, Samsung 850 evo 500gb, Asus GTX 1080 ROG Strix, Corsair RM850x, NZXT H440, Hue+

Smallsnor: Huawei Matebook X

Canon AE-1 w/ 50mm f/1.8 lens

Pentax KM w/ 55mm f/1.8 SMC lens

Zenit-E w/ 58mm f/2 Helios lens

Panasonic G7 with 14-42mm f/3.5 lens

Polaroid Spectra System

name one that that i've listed that isn't found anywhere on earth.

again, please keep in mind that i do not support all currently practiced Olympic events, so do not assume that I am OK with one over the other.

Doesn't matter what you think should be allowed in the Olympics what I'm saying is what makes esports less fit for the Olympics than sport that are currently in the Olympics. We are talking about allowing esports being allowed in the Olympics but not what sports in the Olympics should be in the Olympics.

Just now, Brooksie359 said:

Doesn't matter what you think should be allowed in the Olympics what I'm saying is what makes esports less fit for the Olympics than sport that are currently in the Olympics. We are talking about allowing esports being allowed in the Olympics but not what sports in the Olympics should be in the Olympics.

then what we are talking about is the bastardization of sport, plain and simple.

System specs:

then what we are talking about is the bastardization of sport, plain and simple.

Hey guess what you don't have to do if they add it. You don't have to watch it just like you don't have to watch the beach volleyball if that isn't your thing. I really don't understand why people care so much when at the end of the day the Olympics were a former of entertainment to begin with.

The Olympics is a strange beast anyway,  how often does the average person get interested in gymnastics or discus?  once every 4 years?  funny that.

Whilst technically a sport is physical,  language and definitions change based on their usage (that is the only consistent rule with language), and so if the younger generations come through and change the word to mean any competition and not just physical, then that is what it legitimately becomes.  We have to move with the times or the times will simply move away from us.  This decade is not like the last, and, TBH, the only real concern I have is that younger generations are not physical enough (because society doesn't make it a big priority anymore)   I don't want kids growing up thinking that esports is just as healthy as  footy or field, or swimming, etc.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

25 minutes ago, Brooksie359 said:

Hey guess what you don't have to do if they add it. You don't have to watch it just like you don't have to watch the beach volleyball if that isn't your thing. I really don't understand why people care so much when at the end of the day the Olympics were a former of entertainment to begin with.

Back in the day, being unbestable and recognized the world over for it meant something.

System specs:

2 minutes ago, knightslugger said:

Back in the day, being unbestable and recognized the world over for it meant something.

and it still does today ...

1 minute ago, spartaman64 said:

and it still does today ...

and yet here we are talking about an esport game that could change from year to year.

last time i checked, water was still water, and 1000# was still 1000#.

System specs:

5 minutes ago, knightslugger said:

and yet here we are talking about an esport game that could change from year to year.

last time i checked, water was still water, and 1000# was still 1000#.

other sports change also. when a person first started using a sponge rubber bat in table tennis it completely changed the game with how much spin you can generate. and recently the official balls used in table tennis tournaments changed from cellulose to plastic which is faster but generates less spin so players that are about speed got a boost while players that rely on the spin more got a nerf.

As someone who is a "sparring crew" for the sailing multihull italian Olimpic team on the nacra 17 catamarans ( it means that i will not go to the olimpics, but i train with the ones that do so they have someone to train with and they can have more "mess" on the race course ) i can say a few thing:

-monopolies  in sports are normal, and I'm  not saying it about one supplier that give to everyone the equipment during the event,  i mean it as ONE  and only ONE supplier exist that you have to buy all the things that you will use to compete, in my case ( the boats is the NACRA 17) you have to buy the boat and everithing from them if you want to race, you have to change the mast? You have to buy it from them, you have to swap the main sheet? You have to buy from them, it has to be that material, that lenght and girth.  You have to change a funking rivet? You have to buy it from them( i know, it sucks, it really do, because then that single company can do whatever  it wants, like looseng the quality standards and shooting up the prices). So it is normal to have great publicity from this events, i  know that that company ( Nacra) paid millions to get his boat to be the olimpic multihull boat, even though  is a relatively small company compared to others giant in the sailing industry ( nacra before the olipics sold 400 boats/year, meanwhile  multihull specialized company like the hobie cat sells in the 20.000/year range). 

-sports in the olimpics are a business: the ones who pay more and also get the highest  revenues  and views  are the ones that will be accepted ( and thats what worries me about esport but also about sailing in general, but the 2nd one is another story, because esport are becoming so famous so fast, it might actually became an olimpic sport)

-the things about equality and such and accessibility  of that sport: the olimpic commetees doesn't  almost give a s***t about that: in my case ( sailing) think about all those countries  that haven't  got seas close or lake big enought to sail, or too cold weather condition or too rought, there are some countries  that are already  almost out of the race since the start ( in facts the team sfrom Austria, Russia and Poland usually come here to train with us)

- accessibility money wise, i think that sailing is the sports that take it to the next level: to be "olimpics level "competitive  in this sport you have to buy a new boat almost every year+ pay all the coach and the races that you do ( and we are talking about bringing you boat with you across a continent driving) that does escale pretty quickly  to 30-40k of euros PER YEAR, even in a 1st world country  as Italy,  how many do you think can afford that? And whats about poorest country? The problem is that even sponsors and the government doesn't cover neither 30% of that cost,  so i  the end, some sports are for the ones who can afford it, not for the best talents. But even for normal sport:  how many talents get burned because " you can't  live with running" you have to work, sit down on this pc and work for 8 ours".

Having said that, i completely disagree with the idea of esports in the olimpics, it wouldn't  fit, just like f1 doesn't.  In every sports you have to be talented and the human factor is what should account your win for, not an hardcoded thing.

Also is not a great displaying of sport killing people and not be phisically trained, it is just a bad notion to teach.

Edit: and forr who thinks " sailing is not a sport" you don't  know what type of sailing I'm  talking about and if you are curious  i can send you via pm an image of my crew's leg after 10 days of racing during the last world championships in the Netherlands,  and then we will talk again

Edited by Flavio hc 16
Error correcting

43 minutes ago, Flavio hc 16 said:

As someone who is a "sparring crew" for the sailing multihull italian Olimpic team on the nacra 17 catamarans ( it means that i will not go to the olimpics, but i train with the ones that do so they have someone to train with and they can have more "mess" on the race course ) i can say a few thing:

-monopolies  in sports are normal, and I'm  not saying it about one supplier that give to everyone the equipment during the event,  i mean it as ONE  and only ONE supplier exist that you have to buy all the things that you will use to compete, in my case ( the boats is the NACRA 17) you have to buy the boat and everithing from them if you want to race, you have to change the mast? You have to buy it from them, you have to swap the main sheet? You have to buy from them, it has to be that material, that lenght and girth.  You have to change a funking rivet? You have to buy it from them( i know, it sucks, it really do, because then that single company can do whatever  it wants, like looseng the quality standards and shooting up the prices). So it is normal to have great publicity from this events, i  know that that company ( Nacra) paid millions to get his boat to be the olimpic multihull boat, even though  is a relatively small company compared to others giant in the sailing industry ( nacra before the olipics sold 400 boats/year, meanwhile  multihull specialized company like the hobie cat sells in the 20.000/year range). 

-sports in the olimpics are a business: the ones who pay more and also get the highest  revenues  and views  are the ones that will be accepted ( and thats what worries me about esport but also about sailing in general, but the 2nd one is another story, because esport are becoming so famous so fast, it might actually became an olimpic sport)

-the things about equality and such and accessibility  of that sport: the olimpic commetees doesn't  almost give a s***t about that: in my case ( sailing) think about all those countries  that haven't  got seas close or lake big enought to sail, or too cold weather condition or too rought, there are some countries  that are already  almost out of the race since the start ( in facts the team sfrom Austria, Russia and Poland usually come here to train with us)

- accessibility money wise, i think that sailing is the sports that take it to the next level: to be "olimpics level "competitive  in this sport you have to buy a new boat almost every year+ pay all the coach and the races that you do ( and we are talking about bringing you boat with you across a continent driving) that does escale pretty quickly  to 30-40k of euros PER YEAR, even in a 1st world country  as Italy,  how many do you think can afford that? And whats about poorest country? The problem is that even sponsors and the government doesn't cover neither 30% of that cost,  so i  the end, some sports are for the ones who can afford it, not for the best talents. But even for normal sport:  how many talents get burned because " you can't  live with running" you have to work, sit down on this pc and work for 8 ours".

Having said that, i completely disagree with the idea of esports in the olimpics, it wouldn't  fit, just like f1 doesn't.  In every sports you have to be talented and the human factor is what should account your win for, not an hardcoded thing.

Also is not a great displaying of sport killing people and not be phisically trained, it is just a bad notion to teach.

Edit: and forr who thinks " sailing is not a sport" you don't  know what type of sailing I'm  talking about and if you are curious  i can send you via pm an image of my crew's leg after 10 days of racing during the last world championships in the Netherlands,  and then we will talk again

lol, I know what you mean. I sailed in high school and everyone said it wasn't a real sport but when it gets windy out and the only thing keeping your boat upright is your body weight it really does a number on your legs. It is way more intense at the professional level where you see guys easily just as big if not bigger than an NFL football player all leaning on the side of the boat trying to keep it up right. I think everyone thinks of leisurely sailing on a huge sailboat when you say you sail and not the type of sailing you see in regattas. the one place i would have to disagree is where you say esports doesn't have the human factor account for the win. I do believe the human factor is what makes the difference between someone losing and someone winning in esports. if you are faster and have better reflexes as well as knowledge of the game you will come out on top just like with any other sport these types of factors come into play. 

Well, if they can have 'horse dancing', I don't see why we can't include this. But then again, if we could remove the horse crap I would totally also say this needs to be in a different event. 

I thought chess was also considered a sport by them?

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

No, just no. A bunch of sweaty nerds on Adderall should not be in the Olympics. While video games takes skill it's not really a sport in my eyes.

CPU: 6700K Case: Corsair Air 740 CPU Cooler: H110i GTX Storage: 2x250gb SSD 960gb SSD PSU: Corsair 1200watt GPU: EVGA 1080ti FTW3 RAM: 16gb DDR4 

Other Stuffs: Red sleeved cables, White LED lighting 2 noctua fans on cpu cooler and Be Quiet PWM fans on case.

4 hours ago, Brooksie359 said:

Fixed balls, fixed net height, fixed rules, fixed ect. Your argument is flawed because you are under the impression that there aren't fixed constraints on other sports.

Wow the main point went right over your head....I compared the actually athletes and you compared the playing field.