New Leaks Show The iPhone 8 Will Support 4K 60fps Video on Front And Rear Cameras

Max_Settings
3 minutes ago, ionbasa said:

SD card vs NVMe SSD for internal storage. Apple has always been about the user experience, SD cards complicate that, since not all can record 4k 60FPS. I've gone through 3 SD cards for my camera just to find one that can keep up on write speeds. Apple isn't going to want to complicate things for their users, Hence why they implemented NMVe storage on the iPhone 7.

So they are going to limit record time to less than 25 minutes total on a 128G model?  Just for the sake of "not complicating a users experience".    I don't know anyone who's experience has been complicated by the existence of an sd card in their phone. 

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

1 minute ago, mr moose said:

So they are going to limit record time to less than 25 minutes total on a 128G model?  Just for the sake of "not complicating a users experience".    I don't know anyone who's experience has been complicated by the existence of an sd card in their phone. 

Rumors are only 64gb and 256gb models will be offered.

Nice, now what's the excuse for the potato cam on the macbook?

Just now, Max_Settings said:

Rumors are only 64gb and 256gb models will be offered.

So if you spring for the 256G model what does that give you? 40 minutes assuming you don't use any of your phones storage for anything else (apps, photos, music).

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Just now, mr moose said:

So if you spring for the 256G model what does that give you? 40 minutes assuming you don't use any of your phones storage for anything else (apps, photos, music).

Yep, if Apple does expandable storage ever, it will be some proprietary AF new storage chip, or they will have “Apple Certified” MicroSD cards that will basically not be any different from regular MicroSD cards but the manufacturers have to pay a shit ton of money for the certification or their card will not work in the iPhone.

Pretty great to see 4k60 on a rear facing camera, couldn't really care about it on the selfie cam but I can see why some would find it appealing. Personally I find Sony's 960fps slomo more interesting and would like to see that expanded so that it can be taken at higher resolutions for longer periods, but for a first go it's super cool.

Where's my futuristic 5 sensor cameracentric phone Nokia. Give it to me!

9 hours ago, Evolution90 said:

I phone 9 will come with a front facing face torch, make up and beerstein holder.

If by torch you mean flash, there's already other phones that have beaten them to that long ago ;)

I don't see why improved spec is a downside.

10 hours ago, BuckGup said:

Really? I hope you are joking as facetime and other services use crazy compression and lower resolutions. I don't see any other phone company with 4K 60FPS so I say good on Apple. Now we wait and all other companies will have it to

I think it's a natural evolution. Everyone was probably going to move to it this year anyway. Can't pack too many features in to one year, what will they have to talk about the next? ;)

7 hours ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

See, I understand making the rear camera support 2160p60, but I'm really not gonna understand the same for the front camera. Great, you get to record your face at a high frame rate and resolution. Not all that practical when it comes down to it.

You're probably just not a selfie type of person ;) There are tons of people that would love this.

4 hours ago, Max_Settings said:

$1200-$1500

I don't think it'll be that high. It'll be more, for sure, but I think $1,000 - $1,200 might be a more reasonable price.

4 hours ago, themctipers said:

in cad:

$1800 - $2500 fuck you 

Haha, the CAD isn't that bad!

Plus the current top tier iPhone is $1,300. A couple hundred more for what might be a completely new design would make sense (for an Apple product).

3 hours ago, jagdtigger said:

Higher pixel count =/= higher quality. You will get a similar/worse quality as FHD... Resolution, bit rate, frame rate. If you increase one of these then the other two will decrease. It can be a CPU limitation or the limit of the sensor itself. I would pick a high bitrate 1080p over a medium-low bitrate 4k.

You're comparing two different things though. They also constantly improve camera modules.
Let me ask you this: Is it unfair to say that this new sensor would give better quality than the current one?

1 hour ago, mr moose said:

Assuming a 4K camera is actually worth using on a phone, does this mean apple will finally put an sd card slot in  it so you can actually use it for something without running out space on your phone?.

Funniest thing I've heard all day.

12 minutes ago, ionbasa said:

SD card vs NVMe SSD for internal storage. Apple has always been about the user experience, SD cards complicate that, since not all can record 4k 60FPS. I've gone through 3 SD cards for my camera just to find one that can keep up on write speeds. Apple isn't going to want to complicate things for their users, Hence why they implemented NMVe storage on the iPhone 7.

To be fair, they could have also been the first to implement Samsung's UFS microSD cards. The technology is there, they just don't want to implement it when they can charge a premium for more storage.

6 minutes ago, mr moose said:

Didn't they have their own compression algorithm that would allow for greater storage? I remember something about it over the past few months, just can't recall what it was called.

3 minutes ago, tsk said:

Nice, now what's the excuse for the potato cam on the macbook?

Gotta save their pennies somewhere ;)

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

1 minute ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

Thots already look ugly, we don't need thots to look ugly at 4k60.

What the hell is a thot?

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

Spoiler

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

2 minutes ago, dizmo said:

Didn't they have their own compression algorithm that would allow for greater storage? I remember something about it over the past few months, just can't recall what it was called.

Then my question becomes, why have a 4K camera if you are only going to compress the shit out of it to make it usable?

Just now, mr moose said:

Then my question becomes, why have a 4K camera if you are only going to compress the shit out of it to make it usable?

I don't think there's as much loss with their compression. It's more efficient. I imagine even if it's not as good as 4k can be, it's better than what's currently on offer.

1 minute ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

welp

https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Thot

frankly this is the best explanation, in other words, another word for hoe

Haha, ohhh. That makes sense. Damn age showing and all. You youngin's and your made up words.

Spoiler

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

5 minutes ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

Can confirm. We make up words for literally no reason.

I'm already not looking forward to the future for numerous reasons. That's just one more annoyance I don't even want to think about :P

Spoiler

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

18 minutes ago, mr moose said:

Down-sampling. Images and videos will pretty much always look better when the source is a higher resolution. I'd imagine they would employ H265 hardware encoding. So while the camera may be 4k60, Id imagine you'd have to manually enable it for that resolution, otherwise, it would probably be automatically down sampled to 1080p60. 

23 minutes ago, dizmo said:

APFS. Apple File System. Its used now on both their Mac OS and Mobile platforms. Its not so much a compression technique but a improvement to the file system. 

▶ Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning. - Einstein◀

Please remember to mark a thread as solved if your issue has been fixed, it helps other who may stumble across the thread at a later point in time.

2 minutes ago, ionbasa said:

APFS. Apple File System. Its used now on both their Mac OS and Mobile platforms. Its not so much a compression technique but a improvement to the file system. 

I was actually thinking of HEVC, but apparently that's more for streaming. I only vaguely remembered it since I don't really care about Apple or its products.

Spoiler

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

Just now, dizmo said:

I was actually thinking of HEVC, but apparently that's more for streaming. I only vaguely remembered it since I don't really care about Apple or its products.

Read the first part of my quote above. HEVC is also known as H265

▶ Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning. - Einstein◀

Please remember to mark a thread as solved if your issue has been fixed, it helps other who may stumble across the thread at a later point in time.

6 minutes ago, ionbasa said:

Down-sampling. Images and videos will pretty much always look better when the source is a higher resolution. I'd imagine they would employ H265 hardware encoding. So while the camera may be 4k60, Id imagine you'd have to manually enable it for that resolution, otherwise, it would probably be automatically down sampled to 1080p60. 

Your making it sound like a marketing gimmick now.   

Am I the only one that does not use their cellphone's camera that often when it comes to taking pictures? 

It is gonna be nice though. I remembered recording 4k videos on my nexus 6p. It is super sharp, that's for sure. 

If it is not broken, let's fix till it is. 

12 minutes ago, ionbasa said:

Read the first part of my quote above. HEVC is also known as H265

Aye. But that wasn't what I quoted, now was it.

Spoiler

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

Just now, mr moose said:

Your making it sound like a marketing gimmick now.   

I down sample my own videos when I record off of my Sony a6300 (I used to have a a6000 prior). As to whether or not down sampling is a gimmick: 

So, in the end, is it really a marketing gimmick? Probably not, it does record native 4k60. And when it isn't, it probably is being down sampled. Here's an example image and you can be the judge:

(4k downscale to 1080p on left, 1080p on right)

4k-downsamples-vs-1080p.jpg.221be502bb74

4k-downsampled-vs-1080p.jpg.60f26ab2b21c

2 hours ago, mr moose said:

Assuming a 4K camera is actually worth using on a phone, does this mean apple will finally put an sd card slot in  it so you can actually use it for something without running out space on your phone?.

Not happening. I would see a bump in storage though for the base model. It'll probably be 64, 128, 256 GB. Besides, you can turn down the resolution of the video recording from the settings. 

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

6 minutes ago, ionbasa said:

snip a bunch of pretty pictures and some links to professional studio stuff.

We are still talking about mobile phone right? Not post production editing for a movie.

9 hours ago, Max_Settings said:

Rumors are there will only be 2 sizes, 64gb, and 256gb

No! ?

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

4 minutes ago, mr moose said:

We are still talking about mobile phone right? Not post production editing for a movie.

Doesn't matter though. The concept still applies, regardless of sensor size or application. Where talking purely about down sampling. It makes no difference if its on a phone, in a video game, or on a camera (either pro-sumer or professional). Were talking purely about down sampling.

EDIT:

If it results in better and sharper images, then why does it matter if its on a phone? Honestly, I'd call that a win, regardless if were Apple or some other company who implemented it. If their videos end up being sharper due to down sampling and it keeps consumers happy, does it really matter to be arguing about the technology behind it?

Edited by ionbasa