AMD has really annoyed me

Just now, rrubberr said:

Welcome to the Annoyed by AMD Club, the next meeting is friday.

x299 was a flop, and I'm not entirely sure that AMD wasn't first to that sceme.

I'm not an intel fanboy if that's what you're getting at.

Being a flop doesn't you should copy their naming scheme and if AMD announced x399 before x299 then I'm annoyed at intel for just making it weird. 

5 minutes ago, jcw150 said:

Why the hell have AMD called their HEDT platform x399? Intel have x99 and x299 so it seems weird and in a way wrong for them to do this.

What do you lads and lasses think?

And somehow "B350" and "X370" made it past you?

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

Just now, aisle9 said:

And somehow "B350" and "X370" made it past you?

Well it all made it past me until yesterday, I think the whole naming schemes are pretty silly but this annoyed me the most.

Just now, nerdslayer1 said:

i wish someone came out with a chipset named 1729 

I loved the 82340DX PC AT

My life

Just now, Himommies said:

I loved the 82340DX PC AT

but that's not a taxi number, i really hope someone names a chipset after a taxi number. 

but that's not a taxi number, i really hope someone names a chipset after a taxi number. 

U r a nerd

Well isn't AM2 one as 2 is a taxi number?

1 minute ago, nerdslayer1 said:

Idk if this is a taxi number but there's a chipset called the 8284 and  and pretty much all of the Pentium 3 and 4 chipsets 

My life

Why you think they also using R3 R5 and R7?  Piggy backing off Intel's marketing bruh.

Workstation:  13700k @ 5.5Ghz || Gigabyte Z790 Ultra || MSI Gaming Trio 4090 Shunt || TeamGroup DDR5-7800 @ 7000 || Corsair AX1500i@240V || whole-house loop.

LANRig/GuestGamingBox: 9900nonK || Gigabyte Z390 Master || ASUS TUF 3090 650W shunt || Corsair SF600 || CPU+GPU watercooled 280 rad pull only || whole-house loop.

Server Router (Untangle): 13600k @ Stock || ASRock Z690 ITX || All 10Gbe || 2x8GB 3200 || PicoPSU 150W 24pin + AX1200i on CPU|| whole-house loop

Server Compute/Storage: 10850K @ 5.1Ghz || Gigabyte Z490 Ultra || EVGA FTW3 3090 1000W || LSI 9280i-24 port || 4TB Samsung 860 Evo, 5x10TB Seagate Enterprise Raid 6, 4x8TB Seagate Archive Backup ||  whole-house loop.

Laptop: HP Elitebook 840 G8 (Intel 1185G7) + 3080Ti Thunderbolt Dock, Razer Blade Stealth 13" 2017 (Intel 8550U)

2 minutes ago, jcw150 said:

Well isn't AM2 one as 2 is a taxi number?

yea, but AM2 is really bad 

1 minute ago, Himommies said:

Idk if this is a taxi number but there's a chipset called the 8284 and  and pretty much all of the Pentium 3 and 4 chipsets 

as the smallest number that can be expressed as a sum of two positive cube numbers in n distinct ways. The most famous taxicab number is 1729 = Ta(2) = 13 + 123 = 93 + 103 also knows as Ramanujas number. 

Just now, AnonymousGuy said:

Why you think they also using R3 R5 and R7?  Piggy backing off Intel's marketing bruh.

I don't mind that as in a way it helps consumers see where they compare in the company's product stack but the chipsets are basically just a copy

yea, but AM2 is really bad 

as the smallest number that can be expressed as a sum of two positive cube numbers in n distinct ways. The most famous taxicab number is 1729 = Ta(2) = 13 + 123 = 93 + 103 also knows as ramanujan number. 

x24153319581254312065344 isn't exactly catchy though

Just now, jcw150 said:

x24153319581254312065344 isn't exactly catchy though

sounds better

I heard their next chipset is called Coffee Beans just to insult intel's Coffe Lake series.

MAD-BOX Ryzen 1600X - ASRock X370 Killer SLI - Sapphire R9 Fury NITRO+  -Fried it... RIP

Xeon e5640 4.35ghz, CoolerMaster Seidon 240V, ASUS P6X58D-E, DDR3 8GB 1636mhz CL9, Sapphire Fury Nitro OC+, 2x Stone age storage @ 7200RPM, Crucial 960GB SSD, NZXT S340, Silverstone Strider Gold Evolution, Steelseries RIVAL, Mechanical Metal keyboard, Boogie Bug Aimb mouse pad.

Just now, Evolution90 said:

I heard their next chipset is called Coffee Beans just to insult intel's Coffe Lake series.

Nah it's gonna be Coffee Pond or Tea Lake

35 minutes ago, rrubberr said:

Welcome to the Annoyed by AMD Club, the next meeting is friday.

x299 was a flop, and I'm not entirely sure that AMD wasn't first to that sceme.

AMD Fanboy is Obvious Fanboy. How does Intel's X299 being crap mean it's totally OK for AMD to surf off the back of Intels naming scheme's and steal the next generations chipset number? AMD is just being James Cameron stealing the Ideas of Fern Gully, Pocahontas and others and calling them there own.

NON-Fanboys are able to separate there feelings of the GREAT PERFORMANCE of Threadripper and Ryzen and the obvious naming scheme ripoffs.

5 minutes ago, rrubberr said:

I would not buy a Ryzen processor on the basis that AMD are a bunch of idiots, and excavator was such a terrible mess

that's harsh also biased, ryzen is far above anything AMD has done before, yes a 5960x with fewer lanes( ryzen 1700) that can almost keep with "i9" seriously an 8c/16t overpriced CPU with only 28 lanes? you call that an upgrade? you also have to keep in mind that ryzen 1700 is a 300$( sometimes 280$ due to sales) CPU that can almost keep up with something that is 2 to 3 times its price. 

8 minutes ago, rrubberr said:

Let me tell you a story.

let me tell you a story about how I judged an entire company with a single product 

53 minutes ago, jcw150 said:

I'm not an intel fanboy if that's what you're getting at.

Being a flop doesn't you should copy their naming scheme and if AMD announced x399 before x299 then I'm annoyed at intel for just making it weird. 

It's marketing.  They know Intel has x299 so obviously if they sneak in and steal x399 it makes it seem like they have the more advanced thing.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

Ermmm..looking at their FM2+ chipsets and AM3+ chipsets (if you squint really hard, specifically their FM2+ chipsets), you can see how X399 and X370 fits with their previous chipset naming scheme :P 

8 minutes ago, rrubberr said:

Let me tell you a story. I bought two Radeon HD 7990's for compute, thinking that they would be a major upgrade to my dual 660ti's, and they were. The issue being that they collectively drew some 700 watts and hit 110 degrees celsius on a normal basis, in short, they were unusable for fear of damaging the rest of my system. One day I turned the system on and the lower 7990 burst into flames. Actually a ball of fire. I have not bought an AMD product since

Someone sounds a little butthurt...you bought two 7990 and you're complaining about the power draw? There are literally 4 fucking 7970s in your god damn system, what did you expect? For them to sip power? Its like you're expecting 4 1080tis to only sip as much power as 2 1050s...frankly it sounds like someone didn't do their research before hand. Also if they were running at 110 degrees, why did you not do anything about it? If you actually did research, you would have found that a single 7990 already runs pretty hot (as after all, its 2 'flagship' GPUs being cooled by a single GPU cooler) so putting two next to each other without the adequate airflow (and ambient temps and spacing of the PCIe slots and space around the case) is just asking for trouble. 

10 minutes ago, rrubberr said:

I would not buy a Ryzen processor on the basis that AMD are a bunch of idiots

Where did you get that from?

11 minutes ago, rrubberr said:

Look at Vega. It's absolute garbage, two generations behind Nvidia at best.

Now you're speculating how well vega is going to perform? Jeezo...

12 minutes ago, rrubberr said:

Ffs Ryzen is barely a catchup with Intel, the only "revolution" is that they took a smaller profit margin than Intel was willing to.

Does ryzen have Kabylake IPC overall? No, everybody knew that since it was announced. 

Does Ryzen at least have an IPC close to Kabylake? Yes, infact it can match (if not surpass) it in certain programs and in the worst case scenario, its around haswell which is perfectly fine. 

Please enlighten me how Ryzen is barely a catchup to intel, I really would like to hear your thoughts as the objective facts clearly show that Ryzen really is a worthy competitor of Intel current CPUs. 

Looking at my signature are we now? Well too bad there's nothing here...

What? As I said, there seriously is nothing here :) 

Intel is about to release its new Enterprise architecture. This CPU will have a very unusual circular die with two straight pieces extending back for extra turbo power. The first chipset will be the NCC1701. AMD is already planning their Death Star architecture to counter its performance. The architecture's main advantage will be its 500TB of L3 cache, achievable only by using a CPU the size of a small moon.

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

18 minutes ago, rrubberr said:

So I'm probably an AMD fanboy, wouldn't you say? Take it in context or don't take it at all.

Ermmm...I did take it into context tho...I mean you told us a story to show how much you hate AMD and I gave you a couple of reasons why (if it was true), there was user error involved. This included anything and everything from not doing any research before making a purchase to user error such as not providing them with extra airflow or spacing the cards further apart (if possible) when you saw how fucking hot they were running xD 

I understand that one of the boards caught fire and that should not happen however you did absolutely nothing to help. Also, before you continue complaining, I frigging mined with one a year ago and the max temps I recorded were 90C and yes, it was in a case with a 7950 and 5 120mm fans (all at 100%) keeping the airflow up. Even with the fans just turned down to 75%~, the temps rose to 100C quick so from that experience, it has told me is once past a certain stage (50% and 100% made no difference to my dual 290X rig back in 2014/2015), airflow really does become increasingly important. 

Oh wait, your sig...hmmmmmm...do I smell a made up story? :D 

Looking at my signature are we now? Well too bad there's nothing here...

What? As I said, there seriously is nothing here :) 

X420 ftw doe

Rig Specs:

AMD Threadripper 5990WX@4.8Ghz

Asus Zenith III Extreme

Asrock OC Formula 7970XTX Quadfire

G.Skill Ripheartout X OC 7000Mhz C28 DDR5 4X16GB  

Super Flower Power Leadex 2000W Psu's X2

Harrynowl's 775/771 OC and mod guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/232325-lga775-core2duo-core2quad-overclocking-guide/ http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/365998-mod-lga771-to-lga775-cpu-modification-tutorial/

ProKoN haswell/DC OC guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/41234-intel-haswell-4670k-4770k-overclocking-guide/

"desperate for just a bit more money to watercool, the titan x would be thankful" Carter -2016