[Updated, confirmed] Intel Coffee Lake CPUs will NOT be compatible with Z270 chipset motherboards

41 minutes ago, Morgan MLGman said:

I'm talking about people who are buying a platform with a cheaper CPU to have something decent to upgrade to later on. Example: i5-7600K owners, upgrading to 7700K isn't as rewarding but upgrading to a 6-core 8700K? That'd be truly something.

People who bought i3s could buy 4C/4T i3s at the same price point if Coffee Lake was backwards compatible.

You could sell the 7600k for the same price of a new mobo. 

I still agree with him that people rarely upgrade just the CPU and not the mobo. And for the argument of people buying a 7600k jsut to upgrade later, it was stupid for them not to just get the 7700k to begin with. Literally a waste of money to buy something and upgrading later. Its the reason I hate budget builds.

Makes sense if you think about it . Cofeelake is still on good old 14nm . Power efficiency will be the same as kaby lake , so power requirements will pretty much scale with cores ( not +50% due to lower clocks , but pretty damn close ) . 

Even if the actual socket can mangae to support it , the VRM also needs to be up to snuff , and you have to remember that while high end boards have that setup , many boards don't , and CFL needs to work on EVERY board by principal .

and that's not counting the need for extra signalling pins

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

Upgrading CPUs with the same Motherboard has long been on the AMD rather than Intel side of things. Intel's segmentation has almost always prevented it from being viable. It's gotten worse as OC'able Motherboards segment off even more, so you're unlikely to buy a motherboard then upgrade CPU because of the cost difference to start.

It's a very different issue on the AMD side of things. A B350 + Ryzen 3, you'll be able to drop in new Ryzen 5 in 2 years for an easy & cheap upgrade. The path just hasn't, normally, existed with Intel for ages.

Pst! Hey kids, over here! SHHH! keep it quiet!

Now I hear you really want 6 cores and 12 threads, as long as you're upgrading your entire platform, why not save a bit of money in the process? Suuure it might not be quite as fast but look at the prices I've got here with these chips and mobos that just fell out of the back of a truck so to speak, I'll let you peak look:

Spoiler

Image result for ryzen 1600

-------

Current Rig

-------

Intel forever changing the socket on their CPUs for literally no reason.

System Specs:

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X

GPU: Radeon RX 7900 XT 

RAM: 32GB 3600MHz

HDD: 1TB Sabrent NVMe -  WD 1TB Black - WD 2TB Green -  WD 4TB Blue

MB: Gigabyte  B550 Gaming X- RGB Disabled

PSU: Corsair RM850x 80 Plus Gold

Case: BeQuiet! Silent Base 801 Black

Cooler: Noctua NH-DH15

This is quite a nail in the coffin for intel.

But, i get the feeling that someone WILL figure out how to run coffee lake cpu's on intel 100 series and 200 series Chips.

Unless, there are major differences between intel 300 and intel 200/100 chips.

Maybe it turns out that we have to make mods similar to what we did to make LGA 771 chips compatible with LGA 775 boards. (Where bios update is necessary)

Indus Monk = Indian+ Buddhist

Wait, if there are so many people in this thread that are integrated circuit engineers and developers. how come we don't have a universal platform that never changes sockets or form and will always be compatible with newer technologies and features?

22 minutes ago, AmbarChakrabarti said:

This is quite a nail in the coffin for intel.

But, i get the feeling that someone WILL figure out how to run coffee lake cpu's on intel 100 series and 200 series Chips.

Unless, there are major differences between intel 300 and intel 200/100 chips.

Maybe it turns out that we have to make mods similar to what we did to make LGA 771 chips compatible with LGA 775 boards. (Where bios update is necessary)

There is a different pin layout, the question is how necessary is it and whether it was possible for Intel's engineers to do it without those additional pins so Coffee Lake CPUs were backwards compatible ;)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB GDDR6 Motherboard: MSI PRESTIGE X570 CREATION
AIO: Corsair H150i Pro RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PSU: Corsair RM850x White

2 hours ago, NvidiaIntelAMDLoveTriangle said:

No, I'm serious. I'm done with the bs of the PC master race.

Consoles are cheaper, better, more and better games, optimization is well done, a better experience overall, no more headaches, no more worries.

Fair point.

1 hour ago, Morgan MLGman said:

There is a different pin layout, the question is how necessary is it and whether it was possible for Intel's engineers to do it without those additional pins so Coffee Lake CPUs were backwards compatible ;)

Yes, LGA 775 had a different pin layout in comparison to LGA 771. But here; on the surface atleast, it seems like the pin layout will be the same on 300 series chipset. Though i have a few questions,

This spoiler contains SPECULATIONS/ASSUMPTIONS/GUESSES i am making about coffee lake (don't use a shaker of salt, get a whole 3 pound BAG of salt)

Spoiler

intel used the same pin layout for coffee lake boards as it did for Sky and kaby lake chips. However,what if the socket for Coffee lake chips turns out to be LGA 1151v2? a bit like what they did LGA 2011.

If Coffee Lake ends up using the EXACT same socket as Sky or Kaby Lake, then maybe there is a MAJOR difference in the way the CPU interacts via the socket?

Maybe Coffee Lake will not work with 100/200 series chips due to some sort of fancy new component that is NOT present on the 100/200 series boards. And that component is NEEDED, for coffee lake CPU's to work?

2 hours ago, NvidiaIntelAMDLoveTriangle said:

Consoles are cheaper, better, more and better games, optimization is well done, a better experience overall, no more headaches, no more worries.

Frankly my friend, I might jump on to the same ship as you. I was against this before, but now, after Xbox OneX was announced, this option looks a little tempting! I don't HAVE a 4k panel AT ALL.  So i might just hook the Xbox One X up to my monitor and just say TO HELL WITH PCMR GAMING!

Though i will jump that ship in a HEART BEAT, if i could use keyboard and mouse for playing FPS games and any subsequent GTA games and basically, anything that requires precise movements.

I HATE AUTO AIM

5 hours ago, NvidiaIntelAMDLoveTriangle said:

Shhh, truth hurts sometimes, most human specimens can't accept the fact that they were and are wrong ;) seriously, not only is pc gaming more expensive (unless you're playing multiplayer literally every month every year and wait at least 6-12 months for a sale), but PC hardware prices have skyrocketed, there are really only 2 types of gamers: pirates with low end hardware & ultra and high end gamers who actually buy stuff, thats why developers dont give a sheet about PC gaming, rockstar doesn't care that much about PC, no great exclusives, upgrade cycle and high hardware prices (try to make a PC that will last 5 years without paying almost 2 times more than for the console), if piracy was possible on consoles I wouldn't even consider PC.

5 hours ago, MyName13 said:

no great exclusives, upgrade cycle and high hardware prices

You forget about other positives about PC gaming.  Higher refresh rate at higher resolutions.  Keyboard/mouse (or in my case, trackball), which for many games is a far better interface option.  Superior mod support - mods may be available to consoles now, but their support still pales compared to PC, especially with Sony.  And that's all without mentioning how you can do far more with it than just gaming.  Consoles are a one-trick pony, computers are more of a Swiss-Army knife.

I don't have anything against consoles, even though I've barely touched one since the N64 (and even then, it was only briefly on the GameCube).  And it's certainly true that consoles have some potential advantages over PC, for those who would use them (such as split screen co-op).  Nevertheless, you can't deny the pros of PC versus console that I've addressed above.

Yes, there's more of an investment in PC, but the trade offs are worth it, in my opinion.  In the end, I suppose it's all about what works best for each of us.

4 hours ago, Jito463 said:

You forget about other positives about PC gaming.  Higher refresh rate at higher resolutions.  Keyboard/mouse (or in my case, trackball), which for many games is a far better interface option.  Superior mod support - mods may be available to consoles now, but their support still pales compared to PC, especially with Sony.  And that's all without mentioning how you can do far more with it than just gaming.  Consoles are a one-trick pony, computers are more of a Swiss-Army knife.

I don't have anything against consoles, even though I've barely touched one since the N64 (and even then, it was only briefly on the GameCube).  And it's certainly true that consoles have some potential advantages over PC, for those who would use them (such as split screen co-op).  Nevertheless, you can't deny the pros of PC versus console that I've addressed above.

Yes, there's more of an investment in PC, but the trade offs are worth it, in my opinion.  In the end, I suppose it's all about what works best for each of us.

1)Higher refresh rate and resolution, yes but that is only for ultra/high end gamers, the upgrade cycle is even worse because you'll need high end hardware every generation (or two), 144hz gaming is the worst because you need a powerful CPU too, in the end you spend far more money than by buying a console so it shouldn't be compared to consoles since the price difference is huge

2)Mod support, not everyone cares about mods, how many games have mods today except bethesda's games and cities skylines (which isn't on consoles)?

4 minutes ago, MyName13 said:

1)Higher refresh rate and resolution, yes but that is only for ultra/high end gamers, the upgrade cycle is even worse because you'll need high end hardware every generation (or two), 144hz gaming is the worst because you need a powerful CPU too, in the end you spend far more money than by buying a console so it shouldn't be compared to consoles since the price difference is huge

2)Mod support, not everyone cares about mods, how many games have mods today except bethesda's games and cities skylines (which isn't on consoles)?

1) Though it's necessary for competitive games such as CS:GO etc, compare pro e-sports world of PCs and consoles... There is quite a difference here ;)

2) It's like I said "not everyone cares about potato graphics and 30FPS stuttery gaming just to save some money", mods are part of PC games and you can't deny their relevance by saying "not everyone cares". Following that logic, not everyone likes gaming on a PS/Xbox controller too, that doesn't make consoles irrelevant.

Look at the number of downloads under games like Skyrim, The Witcher 3 etc. : http://www.nexusmods.com/games/? and that's just one site.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB GDDR6 Motherboard: MSI PRESTIGE X570 CREATION
AIO: Corsair H150i Pro RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PSU: Corsair RM850x White