Is it normal for my waterblock to look like this?

Go to solution Solved by For Science!,

Airdropping some relevant links, group consensus seems to be: likely oxidation, can try ketchup to clean, should not affect performance, if really bothered, consider lapping.

http://www.overclock.net/t/881271/cpu-block-ruined-or-still-useable

errrrrrr not really

did you try cleaning it yet?

Current: R2600X@4.0GHz\\ Corsair Air 280x \\ RTX 2070 \\ 16GB DDR3 2666 \\ 1KW EVGA Supernova\\ Asus B450 TUF

Old Systems: A6 5200 APU -- A10 7800K + HD6670 -- FX 9370 + 2X R9 290 -- G3258 + R9 280 -- 4690K + RX480

Looks like its in the early stages of corroding/oxidising.

PC - CPU Ryzen 5 1600 - GPU Power Color Radeon 5700XT- Motherboard Gigabyte GA-AB350 Gaming - RAM 16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB - Storage 525GB Crucial MX300 SSD + 120GB Kingston SSD   PSU Corsair CX750M - Cooling Stock - Case White NZXT S340

Peripherals - Mouse Logitech G502 Wireless - Keyboard Logitech G915 TKL  Headset Razer Kraken Pro V2's - Displays 2x Acer 24" GF246(1080p, 75hz, Freesync) Steering Wheel & Pedals Logitech G29 & Shifter

No. Does it clean off?

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

2 minutes ago, xHadrian said:

image.jpg

i don't think so.. it seems like there is some liquid residue or something on it.. how dos it look on the cpu and socket?

Have you tried to perform a sudden temporary interrupt of the electricity flow to your computational device followed by a re-initialization procedure of the central processing unit and associated components?

Personal Rig Specs

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7-7700K @ 4.8GHZ
Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z270H GAMING
Graphics Card: Inno3D ICHILL GEFORCE GTX 1080 TI X3 ULTRA
RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX Black DDR4 2x8GB @ 3GHZ
Storage: 2 x Samsung NVMe SSD 960 EVO 256GB in Raid | 2 x Seagate 4TB Expansion Desktop 

(seagates are originally external drives removed from casing and installed internally)
PSU: Seasonic Prime Titanium 850W 
Case: Mission SG GGX 3.5 (same as Rosewill Cullinan or Anidees AI Crystal with other stock fans)
Cooling: Kraken X62 for CPU, Corsair H55 with NZXT Kraken G12 for GPU 

Yes, I have tried cleaning it with 70% isopropyl alchohol, and the block itself is smooth to the touch. The CPU and socket themselves are fine. Any help would be appreciated.

I'm no expert, but it looks like a light scorch. How are your CPU temps?

2 minutes ago, Stevers108 said:

I'm no expert, but it looks like a light scorch. How are your CPU temps?

I'm currently redoing my loop, however it would idle at 38 C. Thought that was a bit high, butI think it was because of improper airflow and some other stuff.

What thermal paste were you using? I think its staining, but within reason that won't affect performance. I can find some other forum posts later tonight.

Just now, xHadrian said:

I'm currently redoing my loop, however it would idle at 38 C. Thought that was a bit high, butI think it was because of improper airflow and some other stuff.

i dont see cooper scorching at 38 degrees C. so the residue won't come off?

3 minutes ago, xHadrian said:

It may just be from so much use.  From my experience (with cookware), maybe you could clean it the way you could clean a copper pot/pan. But I would ask here first if that's a good idea to do that or not.

http://www.howtocleanstuff.net/how-to-clean-copper-cookware/

Just now, For Science! said:

What thermal paste were you using? I think its staining, but within reason that won't affect performance. I can find some other forum posts later tonight.

I was using the stock thermal paste that came with the waterblock aka EK's.

Just now, Brooksie359 said:

i dont see cooper scorching at 38 degrees C. so the residue won't come off?

The thermal paste would come off just fine, and the waterblock itself is smooth to the touch after cleaning it.

1 minute ago, Stevers108 said:

It may just be from so much use.  From my experience (with cookware), maybe you could clean it the way you could clean a copper pot/pan. But I would ask here first if that's a good idea to do that or not.

http://www.howtocleanstuff.net/how-to-clean-copper-cookware/

Maybe, as I was overclocking it (5820k) to 4.5 ghz at 1.35v

27 minutes ago, Changis said:

i don't think so.. it seems like there is some liquid residue or something on it.. how dos it look on the cpu and socket?

that look like BBQ thermal paste. You can tell where the cpu has been and how the excess paste is squeeze out of the edge of IHS.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

i wouldn't worry about it. if you don't like the appearence, take some scotch pads or 000 steel wool to it to remove the stains.

[FS][US] Corsair H115i 280mm AIO-AMD $60+shipping

System specs:
Asus Prime X370 Pro - Custom EKWB CPU/GPU 2x360 1x240 soft loop - Ryzen 1700X - Corsair Vengeance RGB 2x16GB - Plextor 512 NVMe + 2TB SU800 - EVGA GTX1080ti - LianLi PC11 Dynamic

3 minutes ago, NumLock21 said:

that look like BBQ thermal paste. You can tell where the cpu has been and how the excess paste is squeeze out of the edge of IHS.

i know about thermal paste spread, I was referring to the brownish splotches 

29 minutes ago, xHadrian said:

Picture of the CPU.

image.jpg

well it looks good on that side, doesn't look like it has leaked..  btw, is that thermal paste on the middle capacitor on the top of the image?

Have you tried to perform a sudden temporary interrupt of the electricity flow to your computational device followed by a re-initialization procedure of the central processing unit and associated components?

Personal Rig Specs

Spoiler

Storage: 2 x Samsung NVMe SSD 960 EVO 256GB in Raid | 2 x Seagate 4TB Expansion Desktop 

(seagates are originally external drives removed from casing and installed internally)
Case: Mission SG GGX 3.5 (same as Rosewill Cullinan or Anidees AI Crystal with other stock fans)

1 minute ago, Changis said:

i know about thermal paste spread, I was referring to the brownish splotches 

well it looks good on that side, doesn't look like it has leaked..  btw, is that thermal paste on the middle capacitor on the top of the image?

no lol

1 minute ago, xHadrian said:

no lol

now i'm just curious to what it is :P maybe it's a tiny thread of plastic or something?  

Personal Rig Specs

Spoiler

So pic of waterblock is after cleaning or before?

Take pic of after it's cleaned.

https://www.amazon.com/ArctiClean-60ml-Kit-30ml/dp/B0007TOR08

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

Airdropping some relevant links, group consensus seems to be: likely oxidation, can try ketchup to clean, should not affect performance, if really bothered, consider lapping.

http://www.overclock.net/t/881271/cpu-block-ruined-or-still-useable

Like For Science said, it's oxydation.  It happens on bare copper.  The ketchup thing might work out. :)

But it's only cosmetic and doesn't affect performance in any way.

8 hours ago, EK Luc said:

Like For Science said, it's oxydation.  It happens on bare copper.  The ketchup thing might work out. :)

But it's only cosmetic and doesn't affect performance in any way.

Thanks!