FX 9590 Cooling

Go to solution Solved by James09,

Sigh.......

When someone comes on here asking for specifics, the least we can do is help them with said specifics. To push the same suggestion at them more than once is just rude. Most people are not dumb and will take other people's advice, given that it makes sense to them and to their specific usage scenario. If they clearly have stated that it is not in their wishes to take your advice, take it like a man and move on.

It is certainly not wrong to want to squeeze some extra life out of a dying platform given that people have different needs and wants and means.

That being said, here is my recommendation based on what i have read and understood thus far,

1) I would highly recommend you get the FX 8370 instead of the 9590. I know you have mentioned this before but I depending on where you live and prices, I feel like you could save a little and get the 8370 and try to overclock it to near 9590 levels.

2) Whichever FX CPU you get you will definitely be needing a decent PSU. A good 650W gold rated one will serve you well over an extended period of time. The one you mentioned to me before seems adequate even for a 9590. I have linked the johnnyguru article below but I am unsure whether its the same one you're looking at. Nevertheless, I would pick one based on professional reviews from johnnyguru or HardOCP rather than online user reviews/ratings.

3) The savings from getting a 8370 might enable you to consider getting a better, more modern case that has adequate room for at least a 240mm AIO, which most decent ones do. If you are budget limited there are a number of modern cases sub $100 that are well designed such as the NZXT S340 or the new Fractal Design Focus G. The new Focus G seems to be pretty well designed and at a decent price.

4) If you still have any spare case left over and assuming you decide on all of the above you can then think about getting a 240mm radiator instead of a 120mm. That will not only help with noise but cooling as well. Alternatively you can get a high end tower style air cooler such as the Noctua NH-D15s or the Be Quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3. Both of which offer can handle a high heat load without being too loud. But be careful to double check the height and compare it to your chosen cases's height restriction.

Good Luck and I hope this helped! 

So I am currently on AM3+, probably looking to upgrade to a 9590. I currently have an Asetek 510lc cooler, which I've heard to pretty much be a Corsair H50, it keeps my 6300 @ 4.5 at 51° under full synthetic load but as I'm buying a heater for a processor I'm wondering what would be safe. I've also had it for a couple of years now and I don't know the life expectancy on it so I want to get something new anyway

My current case I believe only supports 120mm rads so I was looking at the Corsair H75, would this be enough to keep temps comfortable?

Also, I was looking to upgrade to a 650w Gold rated PSU with it, I only have a single GTX 1060 and I know under normal circumstances 500-650 is enough for a single GPU but this isn't a normal circumstance

Will the 650 cover it?

Note: please don't suggest other CPU options, the price to Ryzen is too high for me and the performance jump to 8350 is too low to justify it, 9590 will be my best bet in my current scenario

AMD R5 1600 @ 3.6 GHz // 2x8GB Corsair LPX 3200MHz // Gigabyte Windforce OC 1060 6GB @ 2100MHz // Corsair RMx 650 // Crucial 275GB + Seagate 2TB 7200RPM // NZXT S340 Elite

2 minutes ago, Terra Firma said:

So I am currently on AM3+, probably looking to upgrade to a 9590. I currently have an Asetek 510lc cooler, which I've heard to pretty much be a Corsair H50, it keeps my 6300 @ 4.5 at 51° under full synthetic load but as I'm buying a heater for a processor I'm wondering what would be safe. I've also had it for a couple of years now and I don't know the life expectancy on it so I want to get something new anyway

My current case I believe only supports 120mm rads so I was looking at the Corsair H75, would this be enough to keep temps comfortable?

Also, I was looking to upgrade to a 650w Gold rated PSU with it, I only have a single GTX 1060 and I know under normal circumstances 500-650 is enough for a single GPU but this isn't a normal circumstance

Will the 650 cover it?

Note: please don't suggest other CPU options, the price to Ryzen is too high for me and the performance jump to 8350 is too low to justify it, 9590 will be my best bet in my current scenario

Any liquid cooling should work fine.

Just now, TheCherryKing said:

Any liquid cooling should work fine.

Sick, and PSU? 

AMD R5 1600 @ 3.6 GHz // 2x8GB Corsair LPX 3200MHz // Gigabyte Windforce OC 1060 6GB @ 2100MHz // Corsair RMx 650 // Crucial 275GB + Seagate 2TB 7200RPM // NZXT S340 Elite

9590 is a horrible CPU and nobody should buy it.

Probably the worst CPU ever made.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Just now, Terra Firma said:

Sick, and PSU? 

That CPU is extremely power hungry, therefore, you will need a higher wattage PSU. 

Just now, Enderman said:

I appreciate your feedback but it's completely useless to me

If you cant afford to upgrade, then save your money. It is wasted on buying old architecture that is quite honestly not very good in today's world for gaming. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

11 minutes ago, Enderman said:

It's not that bad. Look at the Core i5-7640X what an absolute joke!  

1 minute ago, legacy99 said:

If you cant afford to upgrade, then save your money. It is wasted on buying old architecture that is quite honestly not very good in today's world for gaming. 

The problem will be that I accumulate money very slowly, so it's either buy this upgrade or sit on my hands for another year or two. I'd rather leave this 6300 any way I can since it's worse than the 9590. I also don't just game, I produce music and render videos. 

1 minute ago, Terra Firma said:

The problem will be that I accumulate money very slowly, so it's either buy this upgrade or sit on my hands for another year or two. I'd rather leave this 6300 any way I can since it's worse than the 9590. I also don't just game, I produce music and render videos. 

I would buy one used to save money. The more money you save now the more you can use later for a new PC.

Honestly, I feel like you would be better off with a beefier air cooler, assuming your case supports it. Alternatively, the best 120mm AIO would probably be Corsair's H80i v2 or one of the new NZXT coolers. 

Though I haven't personally had any hands on experience with the 9590 specifically, its widely known to be a VERY hot chip. That being said, assuming you get a decent 120mm AIO in push pull, you should be ok at stock clocks at least.

As for PSU, your best bet would be to find some reviews online when they did power testing on that chip, add in your 1060's power usage and add another 100W at least on top just to be on the safe side. Knowing how power hungry the 9590 is, total system consumption will likely end up in the 500W+ range all things considered. Thus, 650W "might" be a tad too low IMO.

I used an Noctua NH-D15 on mine if your not into watercooling.

1 minute ago, James09 said:

Honestly, I feel like you would be better off with a beefier air cooler, assuming your case supports it. Alternatively, the best 120mm AIO would probably be Corsair's H80i v2 or one of the new NZXT coolers. 

Though I haven't personally had any hands on experience with the 9590 specifically, its widely known to be a VERY hot chip. That being said, assuming you get a decent 120mm AIO in push pull, you should be ok at stock clocks at least.

As for PSU, your best bet would be to find some reviews online when they did power testing on that chip, add in your 1060's power usage and add another 100W at least on top just to be on the safe side. Knowing how power hungry the 9590 is, total system consumption will likely end up in the 500W+ range all things considered. Thus, 650W "might" be a tad too low IMO.

Thank you, for a serious on topic answer. 

I honestly kinda want to stick with water cooling, although I couldn't explain why. I love the NZXT coolers but they're pricey, so I think the H80 fits the bill

8 minutes ago, Terra Firma said:

I appreciate your feedback but it's completely useless to me

You're wasting your money.

The 9590 is just an overclocked 8350 that uses a ton of power and heats up way too much.

You probably will not notice any improvement over your 6300 anyway, since it's such a bad CPU, especially for gaming.

Save up until you can buy something even remotely decent.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

2 minutes ago, mebaby2 said:

I used an Noctua NH-D15 on mine if your not into watercooling.

As I understand it, Air coolers are quieter with AIOs being a few degrees cooler. And since my comfort zone is like -10° below the actual thermal limit, I think the extra noise is worth it to me

9 minutes ago, TheCherryKing said:

It's not that bad. Look at the Core i5-7740X what an absolute joke!  

There is no such thing as an i5 7740X though.

Did you mean i7 7740X?

Spoiler

As I understand it, Air coolers are quieter with AIOs being a few degrees cooler. And since my comfort zone is like -10° below the actual thermal limit, I think the extra noise is worth it to me

The Corsair H75 is actually pretty quiet.

Just now, Enderman said:

There is no such thing as an i5 7740X though.

Did you mean i7 7740X?

I meant the i5-7640X.

Thank you, for a serious on topic answer. 

I honestly kinda want to stick with water cooling, although I couldn't explain why. I love the NZXT coolers but they're pricey, so I think the H80 fits the bill

After a quick look around, it seems that a GOOD 650W gold PSU should be enough. 

Though, I need to remind you that the 9590 is a 220W TDP CPU. Most AMD boards at the time only supported UP TO 125W TDP CPU's.

You will definitely need to double check to make sure that your board does indeed support that CPU before you pull the trigger on it. AFAIK, only 990FX boards supported that monster of a CPU.

8 minutes ago, Terra Firma said:

Better option that throwing money into a proverbial fire. If you are really itching to throw that money, grab an 8350.

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

Don't get a 9590, get a 8xxxx series instead if you want or need FX cpu.

The 9590 is the worst cpu 

Smoking weed at the red light like its legal

Get an h80I, radiator on the h75  and h60 are not good at all.

Actually the actic freezer 120mm aio's are both affordable and jaw droppingly good

Want to custom loop?  Ask me more if you are curious

Just now, James09 said:

After a quick look around, it seems that a GOOD 650W gold PSU should be enough. 

Though, I need to remind you that the 9590 is a 220W TDP CPU. Most AMD boards at the time only supported UP TO 125W TDP CPU's.

You will definitely need to double check to make sure that your board does indeed support that CPU before you pull the trigger on it. AFAIK, only 990FX boards supported that monster of a CPU.

I have an Asus 990FX Sabertooth R2, which has listed support for 9000 series on it's product page. I think I'm good, and the PSU I was looking at was the Supernova NEX 650, "good" I assume? ?

3 minutes ago, Terra Firma said:

AIO's are not always cooler. Obviously the bigger the radiator, the more heat it can dissipate but each component will have a limit. 

A big air cooler such as the Noctua D14 or D15 will ALWAYS be better than a 120mm AIO, even in push pull configuration like the H80i v2.

You can google the results for yourself and see.