FX 9590 Cooling

Go to solution Solved by James09,

Sigh.......

When someone comes on here asking for specifics, the least we can do is help them with said specifics. To push the same suggestion at them more than once is just rude. Most people are not dumb and will take other people's advice, given that it makes sense to them and to their specific usage scenario. If they clearly have stated that it is not in their wishes to take your advice, take it like a man and move on.

It is certainly not wrong to want to squeeze some extra life out of a dying platform given that people have different needs and wants and means.

That being said, here is my recommendation based on what i have read and understood thus far,

1) I would highly recommend you get the FX 8370 instead of the 9590. I know you have mentioned this before but I depending on where you live and prices, I feel like you could save a little and get the 8370 and try to overclock it to near 9590 levels.

2) Whichever FX CPU you get you will definitely be needing a decent PSU. A good 650W gold rated one will serve you well over an extended period of time. The one you mentioned to me before seems adequate even for a 9590. I have linked the johnnyguru article below but I am unsure whether its the same one you're looking at. Nevertheless, I would pick one based on professional reviews from johnnyguru or HardOCP rather than online user reviews/ratings.

3) The savings from getting a 8370 might enable you to consider getting a better, more modern case that has adequate room for at least a 240mm AIO, which most decent ones do. If you are budget limited there are a number of modern cases sub $100 that are well designed such as the NZXT S340 or the new Fractal Design Focus G. The new Focus G seems to be pretty well designed and at a decent price.

4) If you still have any spare case left over and assuming you decide on all of the above you can then think about getting a 240mm radiator instead of a 120mm. That will not only help with noise but cooling as well. Alternatively you can get a high end tower style air cooler such as the Noctua NH-D15s or the Be Quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3. Both of which offer can handle a high heat load without being too loud. But be careful to double check the height and compare it to your chosen cases's height restriction.

Good Luck and I hope this helped! 

2 minutes ago, LooneyJuice said:

Can't confirm the latter. You'd have to find an article regarding OCed 8370 power draw. Power draw is completely non-linear when overclocking, but I'd assume they'd be getting close. I think it's more of a price thing than anything else. Back then it was more of the typical conundrum of paying more for a higher rated chip, or less to overclock.

Currently from PCPartPicker at least, the 9590 costs like $4 less than 8350 actually.

EDIT: I'm stupid, theres an 8350 for $20 cheaper.

AMD R5 1600 @ 3.6 GHz // 2x8GB Corsair LPX 3200MHz // Gigabyte Windforce OC 1060 6GB @ 2100MHz // Corsair RMx 650 // Crucial 275GB + Seagate 2TB 7200RPM // NZXT S340 Elite

1 minute ago, Terra Firma said:

Currently from PCPartPicker at least, the 9590 costs like $4 less than 8350 actually.

In that case it's up to you and your local prices. The way I see it, doesn't matter either way. They both have a similar ceiling, it's just that the 9590 is closer to it.

OS: W10 | MB: ASUS Sabertooth P67 | CPU: i7 2600k @ 4.6 | RAM: 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600mhz | GPU: x2 MSI GTX 980 Gaming 4G | Storage: x2 WD CB 1TB, x1 WD CB 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM850x | Spare a moment for Night Theme Users:

Spoiler

I'm an erudite cave-dwelling Troglodyte
I frequent LinusTechTips past midnight
Dark backgrounds I crave 
For my sun-seared red gaze
I'll molest you if you don't form your text right

Just now, LooneyJuice said:

In that case it's up to you and your local prices. The way I see it, doesn't matter either way. They both have a similar ceiling, it's just that the 9590 is closer to it.

Yeah, someone else commented saying not to expect any overclocking out of the 9590 and i understand that, it IS overclocked and thats why i consider it. It's where my ideal 8350 overclock would sit.

Regardless, thank you for actually addressing the question i posed, and humoring me and my stupid situation. You've been helpful.

AMD R5 1600 @ 3.6 GHz // 2x8GB Corsair LPX 3200MHz // Gigabyte Windforce OC 1060 6GB @ 2100MHz // Corsair RMx 650 // Crucial 275GB + Seagate 2TB 7200RPM // NZXT S340 Elite

1 minute ago, Terra Firma said:

Yeah, someone else commented saying not to expect any overclocking out of the 9590 and i understand that, it IS overclocked and thats why i consider it. It's where my ideal 8350 overclock would sit.

Regardless, thank you for actually addressing the question i posed, and humoring me and my stupid situation. You've been helpful.

No probs. I just didn't get what the animosity was about when, besides the CPU, you'd be purchasing components that'll probably survive this system and live on in your next one. Anything else is your prerogative.

OS: W10 | MB: ASUS Sabertooth P67 | CPU: i7 2600k @ 4.6 | RAM: 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600mhz | GPU: x2 MSI GTX 980 Gaming 4G | Storage: x2 WD CB 1TB, x1 WD CB 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM850x | Spare a moment for Night Theme Users:

Spoiler

I'm an erudite cave-dwelling Troglodyte
I frequent LinusTechTips past midnight
Dark backgrounds I crave 
For my sun-seared red gaze
I'll molest you if you don't form your text right

I don't mean to drag this out anymore than necessary but I noticed something I wanted to remind you about @Terra Firma

1) The 9590 you selected on your partspicker was in fact an OEM/Tray unit. That would indicate to me that it WONT have any warranty on it as OEM parts hardly ever do. That might be the reason behind the super low price as these were selling for $300 according to some sites I read like Anandtech. If that matters to you then you might be better off getting a proper boxed 8370.

2) About the power and thermal issues, while i might not be an expert, even when overclocked I feel that due to the 220W TDP, the 9590 would very likely both consume more power and output more heat as manufacturers tend to err on the side of caution when they release high end chips such as these. With an OC, you can massage it till you find that sweet spot and only give it as much power/voltage as it needs. But as I said, I am not an expert, thats just personal experience in overclocking thats all, please take it with a grain of salt.

3) After looking over your partspicker list, I made some adjustments that I hope you might find useful based on my personal experience. You were right to mention that the price of the 8370 was almost the same as the 9590 but one has a warranty and the other probably does not. The RAM i picked would also probably be faster and not for that much more. i dug into your motherboard's RAM QVL list and chose it from there so you can rest assured that it will be 100% compatible. With regards to the PSU, I simply just chose one that was slightly newer and even though i couldnt find a review on it, johnnyguru tested the 750w version and that came off with flying colors so you should be golden there. With regards to the fan, Coolermaster hasnt made any nice fans in many years IMHO and those Jetflo ones were quite loud from what I remember. Thus, I chose 3 better rated fans, all under $15 a pop that would be far better IMO than those Jetflo ones you selected. Lastly, I threw in an SSD recommendation just for the hell of it since you did mention that you were in the market for one. Samsung is widely regarded as making some of the best SSD's in the business and the price is pretty neat too IMO.

Feel free to accept or decline my suggestions, since I had a bit of time off at work , thought I would help a fella out thats all.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/VWXdQV

http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story6&reid=500

http://images10.newegg.com/UploadFilesForNewegg/itemintelligence/ASUS/Sabertooth_990FX_R20_Memory_QVL1401383464959.pdf

https://www.hardocp.com/article/2016/02/11/arctic_cooling_liquid_freezer_120_aio_cpu_cooler_review/4

7 minutes ago, James09 said:

I don't mean to drag this out anymore than necessary but I noticed something I wanted to remind you about @Terra Firma

1) The 9590 you selected on your partspicker was in fact an OEM/Tray unit. That would indicate to me that it WONT have any warranty on it as OEM parts hardly ever do. That might be the reason behind the super low price as these were selling for $300 according to some sites I read like Anandtech. If that matters to you then you might be better off getting a proper boxed 8370.

2) About the power and thermal issues, while i might not be an expert, even when overclocked I feel that due to the 220W TDP, the 9590 would very likely both consume more power and output more heat as manufacturers tend to err on the side of caution when they release high end chips such as these. With an OC, you can massage it till you find that sweet spot and only give it as much power/voltage as it needs. But as I said, I am not an expert, thats just personal experience in overclocking thats all, please take it with a grain of salt.

3) After looking over your partspicker list, I made some adjustments that I hope you might find useful based on my personal experience. You were right to mention that the price of the 8370 was almost the same as the 9590 but one has a warranty and the other probably does not. The RAM i picked would also probably be faster and not for that much more. i dug into your motherboard's RAM QVL list and chose it from there so you can rest assured that it will be 100% compatible. With regards to the PSU, I simply just chose one that was slightly newer and even though i couldnt find a review on it, johnnyguru tested the 750w version and that came off with flying colors so you should be golden there. With regards to the fan, Coolermaster hasnt made any nice fans in many years IMHO and those Jetflo ones were quite loud from what I remember. Thus, I chose 3 better rated fans, all under $15 a pop that would be far better IMO than those Jetflo ones you selected. Lastly, I threw in an SSD recommendation just for the hell of it since you did mention that you were in the market for one. Samsung is widely regarded as making some of the best SSD's in the business and the price is pretty neat too IMO.

Feel free to accept or decline my suggestions, since I had a bit of time off at work , thought I would help a fella out thats all.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/VWXdQV

http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story6&reid=500

http://images10.newegg.com/UploadFilesForNewegg/itemintelligence/ASUS/Sabertooth_990FX_R20_Memory_QVL1401383464959.pdf

https://www.hardocp.com/article/2016/02/11/arctic_cooling_liquid_freezer_120_aio_cpu_cooler_review/4

I only picked the WD over the Samsung because of the slight price drop, i did look into the speed comparison so i know the 850 is quite a bit faster. It'll depend on how much i have when i actually go to buy i suppose.

This cooler looks T H I C C lmao, im not sure itll fit but I also chose Corsair simply out of brand comfort, I assume this rad will also need static pressure fans as well

As for the RAM and Fans, again it came down to pickiness lol, i wanted it all to flow pretty well with the current theme so its all Red, i have sickleflow red LED fans so i wanted to replace with 4pin PWM fans that were also red LED. Same thing with the ram choice, black and red and probably a decent improvement over my G.Skill NS 1600 kit.

Thank you for the insight into the OEM unit though, i didnt actually know what that meant. Good to keep in mind moving forward. And i also sort of planned to undervolt the 9590 as much as i could without sacrificing stability, which might help things some.

2 minutes ago, Terra Firma said:

I only picked the WD over the Samsung because of the slight price drop, i did look into the speed comparison so i know the 850 is quite a bit faster. It'll depend on how much i have when i actually go to buy i suppose.

This cooler looks T H I C C lmao, im not sure itll fit but I also chose Corsair simply out of brand comfort, I assume this rad will also need static pressure fans as well

As for the RAM and Fans, again it came down to pickiness lol, i wanted it all to flow pretty well with the current theme so its all Red, i have sickleflow red LED fans so i wanted to replace with 4pin PWM fans that were also red LED. Same thing with the ram choice, black and red and probably a decent improvement over my G.Skill NS 1600 kit.

Thank you for the insight into the OEM unit though, i didnt actually know what that meant. Good to keep in mind moving forward. And i also sort of planned to undervolt the 9590 as much as i could without sacrificing stability, which might help things some.

Current SATA SSD's all fall into pretty much the same speed ratings I feel like. WD is pretty new to the SSD segment though not in terms of storage. The reason why samsung is well liked is because their QC is pretty tight. Everything needed is made in house. Their own NAND and controller etc. But you probably wont notice a speed difference in day to day usage.

The cooler also doesnt look to be any bigger than the H80i v2. If anything I would say that the H80i v2 might be thicker. 

As for RAM well, 2133 and 2400mhz is pretty much the ceiling when it comes to DDR3 and since you looking to stretch it out for a few more, might as well get the best kit possible. You can go through that PDF that i linked and check again for a more color compatible kit. Other kits that aren't listed will probably work too but better safe than sorry.

1 minute ago, James09 said:

Current SATA SSD's all fall into pretty much the same speed ratings I feel like. WD is pretty new to the SSD segment though not in terms of storage. The reason why samsung is well liked is because their QC is pretty tight. Everything needed is made in house. Their own NAND and controller etc. But you probably wont notice a speed difference in day to day usage.

The cooler also doesnt look to be any bigger than the H80i v2. If anything I would say that the H80i v2 might be thicker. 

As for RAM well, 2133 and 2400mhz is pretty much the ceiling when it comes to DDR3 and since you looking to stretch it out for a few more, might as well get the best kit possible. You can go through that PDF that i linked and check again for a more color compatible kit. Other kits that aren't listed will probably work too but better safe than sorry.

That's something i was feeling looking into SSD's, the principle reason behind my ATX AM4 motherboard choice was simply M.2 Support since that would probably be the only huge improvement over any SATA. You can see how that all starts snowballing and getting quite expensive

Cooler might simply be the picture or my eyes being stupid lol, ill look into it some for sure though

RAM speed i chose 1866 out of comfort, i didnt know where the exact support ceiling for my board was and i'm under the impression that speed doesnt show up in tangible performance difference as much as DDR3 vs DDR4 does. But again, ill look into it.

Again, thank you for actually addressing my situation as i presented it, you've been really helpful.

5 minutes ago, Terra Firma said:

That's something i was feeling looking into SSD's, the principle reason behind my ATX AM4 motherboard choice was simply M.2 Support since that would probably be the only huge improvement over any SATA. You can see how that all starts snowballing and getting quite expensive

Cooler might simply be the picture or my eyes being stupid lol, ill look into it some for sure though

RAM speed i chose 1866 out of comfort, i didnt know where the exact support ceiling for my board was and i'm under the impression that speed doesnt show up in tangible performance difference as much as DDR3 vs DDR4 does. But again, ill look into it.

Again, thank you for actually addressing my situation as i presented it, you've been really helpful.

Not a problem, feel free to PM me if you have any more questions and ill do my best to help. LooneyJuice is also pretty knowledgeable as he helped me out with a seperate issue on a seperate thread. 

Good Luck! 

9 hours ago, Terra Firma said:

So I am currently on AM3+, probably looking to upgrade to a 9590. I currently have an Asetek 510lc cooler, which I've heard to pretty much be a Corsair H50, it keeps my 6300 @ 4.5 at 51° under full synthetic load but as I'm buying a heater for a processor I'm wondering what would be safe. I've also had it for a couple of years now and I don't know the life expectancy on it so I want to get something new anyway

My current case I believe only supports 120mm rads so I was looking at the Corsair H75, would this be enough to keep temps comfortable?

Also, I was looking to upgrade to a 650w Gold rated PSU with it, I only have a single GTX 1060 and I know under normal circumstances 500-650 is enough for a single GPU but this isn't a normal circumstance

Will the 650 cover it?

Note: please don't suggest other CPU options, the price to Ryzen is too high for me and the performance jump to 8350 is too low to justify it, 9590 will be my best bet in my current scenario

A 9590 consumes over 200 watts on its own, so a PSU upgrade will be well advised. As your current cooler is holding an already overclocked chip fairly well, I feel you may get by well enough without necessitating a new cooler. They're both heater processors to be honest. 

Performance - wise, I still don't think you will be entirely satisfied with it, but a 5 GHz FX part is still fairly formidable in multi-threaded workloads, comparable to an Ivy quad core i7. 

Correct me if I'm wrong, you have 8 GB of DDR3, but are replacing it with 16 GB, or adding the 16 GB to the 8? With matched memory clocks and timings, there should be no problem adding 16 GB for 24GB total. 

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

2 hours ago, Zodiark1593 said:

A 9590 consumes over 200 watts on its own, so a PSU upgrade will be well advised. As your current cooler is holding an already overclocked chip fairly well, I feel you may get by well enough without necessitating a new cooler. They're both heater processors to be honest. 

Performance - wise, I still don't think you will be entirely satisfied with it, but a 5 GHz FX part is still fairly formidable in multi-threaded workloads, comparable to an Ivy quad core i7. 

Correct me if I'm wrong, you have 8 GB of DDR3, but are replacing it with 16 GB, or adding the 16 GB to the 8? With matched memory clocks and timings, there should be no problem adding 16 GB for 24GB total. 

My current cooler I've had for a while and I don't know the lifespan of AIO's so I wanted to get a new one to be safe

I understand the single threaded weakness of FX processors as I've lived with one, for the games I play it works just fine enough, the HDD is the real bottleneck. I do use multithreaded applications quite heavily, video rendering and music production so yeah, it'll still perform great for what I want it to do

And my 8GB is a cheap G.Skill value kit that doesn't even have a heat spreader on it, I wanted to replace it anyway. I have considered just buying another 2x4 sticks of the same though, it'd be cheaper but I'm not sure what the advantages of OC RAM are in daily usage 

30 minutes ago, Terra Firma said:

My current cooler I've had for a while and I don't know the lifespan of AIO's so I wanted to get a new one to be safe

I understand the single threaded weakness of FX processors as I've lived with one, for the games I play it works just fine enough, the HDD is the real bottleneck. I do use multithreaded applications quite heavily, video rendering and music production so yeah, it'll still perform great for what I want it to do

And my 8GB is a cheap G.Skill value kit that doesn't even have a heat spreader on it, I wanted to replace it anyway. I have considered just buying another 2x4 sticks of the same though, it'd be cheaper but I'm not sure what the advantages of OC RAM are in daily usage 

The FX series doesn't benefit much from faster RAM, maybe 1 or 2 percent. The use of heat spreaders is primarily an aesthetic reason for RAM, as it typically doesn't produce much heat on its own. 

That said, I can understand not liking the green pcb of the RAM to stick out. 

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

2 minutes ago, Zodiark1593 said:

The FX series doesn't benefit much from faster RAM, maybe 1 or 2 percent. The use of heat spreaders is primarily an aesthetic reason for RAM, as it typically doesn't produce much heat on its own. 

That said, I can understand not liking the green pcb of the RAM to stick out. 

Good to know. As with the SSD i suppose it'll come down to how much i actually have to spend when i go to buy, getting another 2x4 or an actually aesthetically pleasing kit of OC.

The entire purpose of this thread was simply to feel out my options, FX in particular. I'm not buying tomorrow, it all depends on how much i have when i go to buy. This will be my last ditch effort since i hate my performance as it stands and i know i wont be coming into much more money any time soon. But if i come into enough money to switch to Ryzen the way I WANT to, then of course FX is stupid and I'd be an idiot to plug $780 into it. 

I'm just feeling out my options, I've already figured out the Ryzen side of things.

Well to add more that was already probably said i understand not having money. But you made a claim before that buying a new power supply and buying a CPU and buying a new cooler is cheaper then buying ram+cpu+board. 

Well i disagree a FX 220 watt CPU that has a max temp of 72C needs to have massive cooling that will cost about 80-100$ by itself. The CPU i'm not sure what it will cost but lets just say 100$ and i know its probably more then that. Power supply would be 60-70$. 

That is 250$ or so, into a OLD platform that has no life in it. 

Money would be better spent on a new platform no one in this thread will recommend you to do that(EDIT meaning they won't recommend a FX CPU). A ryzen 1400 for 160$ at amazon will beat a FX in most tasks including encoding and it comes with a cooler. 8GB of ram 60$ and then you can get a board for 60$. 

Old freaking platform= 250$ 

New platform with upgrades to 2020 and doesn't run hotter then satin butthole= 280$

4 hours ago, jdwii said:

Well to add more that was already probably said i understand not having money. But you made a claim before that buying a new power supply and buying a CPU and buying a new cooler is cheaper then buying ram+cpu+board. 

Well i disagree a FX 220 watt CPU that has a max temp of 72C needs to have massive cooling that will cost about 80-100$ by itself. The CPU i'm not sure what it will cost but lets just say 100$ and i know its probably more then that. Power supply would be 60-70$. 

That is 250$ or so, into a OLD platform that has no life in it. 

Money would be better spent on a new platform no one in this thread will recommend you to do that(EDIT meaning they won't recommend a FX CPU). A ryzen 1400 for 160$ at amazon will beat a FX in most tasks including encoding and it comes with a cooler. 8GB of ram 60$ and then you can get a board for 60$. 

Old freaking platform= 250$ 

New platform with upgrades to 2020 and doesn't run hotter then satin butthole= 280$

I think you've missed the point. I refuse to switch to AM4 on a crappy mATX board, so $90 for a decent board, $150+ for the SSD i want to install on, $200 for a 1600 because the only place the 1400 beats the 9590 by any significant margin is single threaded performance so no thanks (see: 6c minimum) $120 for 16GB of decent RAM, $70+ for a decent power supply and $60-$90 for a cooler. All in all, comes out to be MUCH more than $130 for a CPU, $70 for a PSU, and $70 for a cooler.

Again, if you read you'll see that i appreciate and understand the cheapest possible way to get off of AM3+ but i do not want the cheapest possible Ryzen. I am extending the life on this platform until i can switch to a decent Ryzen that will be worth it to me in performance, because 1400 and 9590 pretty much match with the exception of single threaded. When i switch, i am going to 1600 and an SSD, the topic of this thread was cooling and power for a 9590 and not recommendations on how to switch platforms. I stated that i am stuck on AM3+ and needed AM3+ advice.

I get it. The platform is closed and cant go any further, ill have to rebuy some parts when i switch. I know. I'm not ignoring all the advice because I'm stupid, I'm ignoring it because its not what i asked for and it isnt useful to me in my current scenario. There IS a reason I'm sticking with this platform, and that reason isnt that i dont know what im doing. thank you.

19 hours ago, Terra Firma said:

I appreciate your feedback but it's completely useless to me

Ryzen costs you 400$ to upgrade to a Ryzen 6 core, if you don't want to do that, then expect almost no increase in speed, and expect it to be slow in most modern games, and applications within the next year or two.

Also, the FX-83xx series is the same as the FX-95xx series, you just have to overclock them.

You can get a old haswell motherboard and processor (i7-4790, etc) for roughly 250$ in the US.

The FX-9590 is around 140$ new, and about the same price used, but I doubt most used ones are 100% functional, and any that have been run on less than a high end air cooler, or liquid cooler, are going to have damage due to the high heat, and power consumption.

Heres a parts list for Ryzen, I understand you don't WANT to upgrade, but the 9590 isn't an upgrade, it's simply delaying you a larger upgrade, and preventing you from getting any kind of upgrade path beyond that.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/mm26VY

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1600 @3.7ghz (1.3v) Cooler: NZXT Kraken X62 GPU: Zotac Mini GTX 1060 Case: NZXT - S340 (Black/Blue) Mobo: MSI B350m mortar arctic

RAM: Team Vulcan DDR4 (2x4gb, 2666mhz) Storage: Toshiba 1tb 7200rpm HDD, PNY CS1311 Sata SSD (6gb/s) PSU: EVGA - BQ 500w 80+ Bronze semi modular

15 minutes ago, Terra Firma said:

I get it. The platform is closed and cant go any further, ill have to rebuy some parts when i switch. I know. I'm not ignoring all the advice because I'm stupid, I'm ignoring it because its not what i asked for and it isnt useful to me in my current scenario. There IS a reason I'm sticking with this platform, and that reason isnt that i dont know what im doing. thank you.

I understand you know what you are doing, you've clearly just explained it, and I see that you are completely ignoring us, the information we have been giving about Ryzen, and or a old Haswell system upgrade would be entirely useful to you, it saves you cash and offers better performance, you could run both on a 500 watt power supply, and neither of them need a good liquid cooler to run.

That being said, you are free to buy whatever you like or spend your money however you like, but taking the least favorable option that you have, would be rather stupid. I do not intend to call you stupid or insult you, but the decision to buy the FX series processors when the cost of all the stuff associated with it would cost as much as a Ryzen or Haswell upgrade, is simply stupid, provided you take it, you'd be taking that stupid decision and making it reality, thus rendering you... well, I'll refrain from insulting you, I apologize for sounding so harsh, but that's reality.

I would really like to understand your specific need of an FX series processor though, I can see myself using a Pentium G4560 before I use any FX system.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1600 @3.7ghz (1.3v) Cooler: NZXT Kraken X62 GPU: Zotac Mini GTX 1060 Case: NZXT - S340 (Black/Blue) Mobo: MSI B350m mortar arctic

RAM: Team Vulcan DDR4 (2x4gb, 2666mhz) Storage: Toshiba 1tb 7200rpm HDD, PNY CS1311 Sata SSD (6gb/s) PSU: EVGA - BQ 500w 80+ Bronze semi modular

6 minutes ago, He_162 said:

Ryzen costs you 400$ to upgrade to a Ryzen 6 core, if you don't want to do that, then expect almost no increase in speed, and expect it to be slow in most modern games, and applications within the next year or two.

Also, the FX-83xx series is the same as the FX-95xx series, you just have to overclock them.

You can get a old haswell motherboard and processor (i7-4790, etc) for roughly 250$ in the US.

The FX-9590 is around 140$ new, and about the same price used, but I doubt most used ones are 100% functional, and any that have been run on less than a high end air cooler, or liquid cooler, are going to have damage due to the high heat, and power consumption.

Heres a parts list for Ryzen, I understand you don't WANT to upgrade, but the 9590 isn't an upgrade, it's simply delaying you a larger upgrade, and preventing you from getting any kind of upgrade path beyond that.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/mm26VY

Again, things I know. The fact that buying a 9590 is my best option should be the biggest clue that there is a reason I'm sticking with this platform. I know that it's stupid and I know WHY it's stupid, and I know what repurcussions it'll have, but again, it is my option. 

And also stating that it won't be an upgrade seems like kind of a stretch and a bit of a fallacy. 

1 minute ago, He_162 said:

I understand you know what you are doing, you've clearly just explained it, and I see that you are completely ignoring us, the information we have been giving about Ryzen, and or a old Haswell system upgrade would be entirely useful to you, it saves you cash and offers better performance, you could run both on a 500 watt power supply, and neither of them need a good liquid cooler to run.

That being said, you are free to buy whatever you like or spend your money however you like, but taking the least favorable option that you have, would be rather stupid. I do not intend to call you stupid or insult you, but the decision to buy the FX series processors when the cost of all the stuff associated with it would cost as much as a Ryzen or Haswell upgrade, is simply stupid, provided you take it, you'd be taking that stupid decision and making it reality, thus rendering you... well, I'll refrain from insulting you, I apologize for sounding so harsh, but that's reality.

I would really like to understand your specific need of an FX series processor though, I can see myself using a Pentium G4560 before I use any FX system.

I don't want to buy used. I don't want a 4 core. I don't want flimsy parts (mATX). I don't want to sell my PC before the fact. And I do not want to wait 2 years on the performance I have now.
I want to install Windows, if i must, on an SSD. That gets factored into buying price with Ryzen.
What does that leave me?

Buying a cooler, PSU, and 9590, the only thing that cannot be used with a seperate platform is the 9590. At the very least, I'm starting to stockpile parts for a future build while making my current situation more bearable.

A pentium would be a viable option if this was a gaming computer and nothing more. That is why the advice is useless, it is not simply a gaming computer. I need more than 4 cores, with the only exception really being Skylake or Kabylake 4 core. I would shoot myself before trying to do my rendering on a dual core. 8 cores, even FX cores, will be useful to me for what i use my system for. 

6c minimum, only buying new, where are my options truly? FX, Ryzen, and x99. x99 is simply out of the question, and factoring in all the other already admittedly finicky stipulations, makes the wait for the Ryzen build unbearable on the 6300. 

Take another look at the r5 1400 - Yes, the performance in Multicore is about identical to the FX 9590, and the total price you have to pay is very similar. 

Ryzen - 90$ Board, 160$ CPU, 120$ RAM
FX - 140$ CPU, 60$ RAM, 70$ PSU, 70$ Cooler

Now, what do you get right then and there? You get to sell your old system - cool, some money you get back to save up for the SSD or invest into a better cooler (not really needed, but ok) and a new PSU. Half a year later, you suddenly want more performance. You look on eBay - the Ryzen 1400 has barely fallen in price, even used. You sell yours for 120$ (just look at other used CPUs in that price range, they don't drop that quickly) and add 180$ for a 1700 - double the performance of the 9590. If you would buy the FX, you would probably get 160$ for your old system - but you would still have to buy a new Motherboard and new RAM. 

For the SSD - You don't want to buy an SSD for your FX System, so what is stopping you from continuing to use the old drive (or whatever you are using now) until you can afford the SSD? Your old drive is not going to get any slower than it is right now. You would get the new features of the new platform RIGHT NOW.

And you can usually just uninstall the old drivers and install the new ones, even though it is not recommended (I did the same thing being lazy in my upgrade from x38 to x58).

One last thing to consider - when to sell your old system. If you sell it in a couple of weeks, you'll probably get more out of it then if you sell it in a year or whenever you can upgrade again. 

Xeon e5649@4.4 GHz on Asus Rampage II Extreme or Gigabyte x58a-OC (whatever I feel like to set up at a time) , 6x4 GB Kingston HyperX 1600, Gainward GTX 670 Phantom, Samsung 840 Evo 240 GB, BeQuiet L8 530W

11 minutes ago, Ground said:

Take another look at the r5 1400 - Yes, the performance in Multicore is about identical to the FX 9590, and the total price you have to pay is very similar. 

Now, what do you get right then and there? You get to sell your old system - cool, some money you get back to save up for the SSD or invest into a better cooler (not really needed, but ok) and a new PSU. Half a year later, you suddenly want more performance. You look on eBay - the Ryzen 1400 has barely fallen in price, even used. You sell yours for 120$ (just look at other used CPUs in that price range, they don't drop that quickly) and add 180$ for a 1700 - double the performance of the 9590. If you would buy the FX, you would probably get 160$ for your old system - but you would still have to buy a new Motherboard and new RAM. 

For the SSD - You don't want to buy an SSD for your FX System, so what is stopping you from continuing to use the old drive (or whatever you are using now) until you can afford the SSD? Your old drive is not going to get any slower than it is right now. You would get the new features of the new platform RIGHT NOW.

And you can usually just uninstall the old drivers and install the new ones, even though it is not recommended (I did the same thing being lazy in my upgrade from x38 to x58).

One last thing to consider - when to sell your old system. If you sell it in a couple of weeks, you'll probably get more out of it then if you sell it in a year or whenever you can upgrade again. 

Having used over 1tb on my current drive, using the same money to upgrade to an SSD would be viable if 2TB SSDs werent more expensive than the FX upgrade. Otherwise i have to delete things to trim drive size to be able to clone, of which i am both incapable and unwilling to do. And to answer that question, what's preventing me is the Windows install. I dont want to do it more than once, so itll be done when i have new hardware and new SSD to put it on. 

I am not entirely comfortable with selling my parts because they are not technically mine. This computer was purchased with financing, and even though swapping motherboards already breaks warranty, i want to keep the original parts on standby until that finance is up. I shouldnt have to explain my entire life situation on a thread that was initially a very specific question about cooling a 9590.

It has been stated already that there are indeed reasons, important to me at the very least, that keep me on this platform. Those reasons arent going to change because of a few people on the internet, and as someone before has already said i would have taken all the advice if it made sense to me. I understand it, but it does not make sense given my current context. Simple.

The question was cooling. Not platform.

Ive mentioned before that this thread is me considering my options. Ive already done the research on the Ryzen side of things

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/xd84WX

this is as low as im willing to go with Ryzen, no exceptions. The cooler and PSU can both be used on 9590, or the ones discussed in the thread can be brought forward to Ryzen. And again, given my current scenario, the wait time between $300 and $700 is enormous and not worth sitting on my money.

Fine again its your money buy the most expensive cooler you can get as the CPU max temp is 72C and its a 220 watt CPU and you will be using it to 100% during your work. Have fun. 

16 hours ago, Ground said:

-snip-

Not identical, far better in most applications, the few that would use all of it's cores the Ryzen CPU does better in as well, it's superior in every way.

16 hours ago, Terra Firma said:

Again, things I know. The fact that buying a 9590 is my best option should be the biggest clue that there is a reason I'm sticking with this platform. I know that it's stupid and I know WHY it's stupid, and I know what repurcussions it'll have, but again, it is my option. 

And also stating that it won't be an upgrade seems like kind of a stretch and a bit of a fallacy. 

I don't want to buy used. I don't want a 4 core. I don't want flimsy parts (mATX). I don't want to sell my PC before the fact. And I do not want to wait 2 years on the performance I have now.
I want to install Windows, if i must, on an SSD. That gets factored into buying price with Ryzen.
What does that leave me?

Buying a cooler, PSU, and 9590, the only thing that cannot be used with a seperate platform is the 9590. At the very least, I'm starting to stockpile parts for a future build while making my current situation more bearable.

A pentium would be a viable option if this was a gaming computer and nothing more. That is why the advice is useless, it is not simply a gaming computer. I need more than 4 cores, with the only exception really being Skylake or Kabylake 4 core. I would shoot myself before trying to do my rendering on a dual core. 8 cores, even FX cores, will be useful to me for what i use my system for. 

6c minimum, only buying new, where are my options truly? FX, Ryzen, and x99. x99 is simply out of the question, and factoring in all the other already admittedly finicky stipulations, makes the wait for the Ryzen build unbearable on the 6300. 

Mini-ATX isn't flimsy. mATX 4+2 power phase is plenty for overclocking Ryzen as well, I see no issues with it, they offer everything but SLI, in which case you need X370.

You don't have to wait 2 years to save up for a 400$ Ryzen system upgrade (for the 6 core)

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/VvVPHN

Save the SSD for later, save the water cooler for later, you DO NOT need them, not right away.

Spend 400$ (Ryzen 5 1600, mATX b350 board, 16gb of 2400mhz DDR4) on a 200% increase in speed, or spend 200$ (FX-9590 + Water cooler) for a 25% increase in speed.

Seriously consider these options please.

Oh, and if you want the 9590 to last more than 4 months, you'll want a 240+mm water cooler, NZXT Kraken x52 / x62 will be good, nothing less.