FX 9590 Cooling

Go to solution Solved by James09,

Sigh.......

When someone comes on here asking for specifics, the least we can do is help them with said specifics. To push the same suggestion at them more than once is just rude. Most people are not dumb and will take other people's advice, given that it makes sense to them and to their specific usage scenario. If they clearly have stated that it is not in their wishes to take your advice, take it like a man and move on.

It is certainly not wrong to want to squeeze some extra life out of a dying platform given that people have different needs and wants and means.

That being said, here is my recommendation based on what i have read and understood thus far,

1) I would highly recommend you get the FX 8370 instead of the 9590. I know you have mentioned this before but I depending on where you live and prices, I feel like you could save a little and get the 8370 and try to overclock it to near 9590 levels.

2) Whichever FX CPU you get you will definitely be needing a decent PSU. A good 650W gold rated one will serve you well over an extended period of time. The one you mentioned to me before seems adequate even for a 9590. I have linked the johnnyguru article below but I am unsure whether its the same one you're looking at. Nevertheless, I would pick one based on professional reviews from johnnyguru or HardOCP rather than online user reviews/ratings.

3) The savings from getting a 8370 might enable you to consider getting a better, more modern case that has adequate room for at least a 240mm AIO, which most decent ones do. If you are budget limited there are a number of modern cases sub $100 that are well designed such as the NZXT S340 or the new Fractal Design Focus G. The new Focus G seems to be pretty well designed and at a decent price.

4) If you still have any spare case left over and assuming you decide on all of the above you can then think about getting a 240mm radiator instead of a 120mm. That will not only help with noise but cooling as well. Alternatively you can get a high end tower style air cooler such as the Noctua NH-D15s or the Be Quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3. Both of which offer can handle a high heat load without being too loud. But be careful to double check the height and compare it to your chosen cases's height restriction.

Good Luck and I hope this helped! 

1 minute ago, Zodiark1593 said:

Better option that throwing money into a proverbial fire. If you are really itching to throw that money, grab an 8350.

If I got an 8350, I'd be overclocking it to probably where my 6300 is now. 9xxx saves me that trouble since I'm not the most experienced at it anyway

AMD R5 1600 @ 3.6 GHz // 2x8GB Corsair LPX 3200MHz // Gigabyte Windforce OC 1060 6GB @ 2100MHz // Corsair RMx 650 // Crucial 275GB + Seagate 2TB 7200RPM // NZXT S340 Elite

1 minute ago, TheCherryKing said:

I meant the i5-7640X.

I would much rather have that than a horrible 9590...

It has better core performance than any AMD CPU in existence, which is what matters for most applications.

Video rendering and a few games might be slower, but it would perform better in the large majority of stuff.

Also only uses half as much power and doesn't produce heat like a jet engine.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Just now, Enderman said:

I would much rather have that than a horrible 9590...

It has better core performance than any AMD CPU in existence, which is what matters for most applications.

Video rendering and a few games might be slower, but it would perform better in the large majority of stuff.

Also only uses half as much power and doesn't produce heat like a jet engine.

There is no way it could have better core performance than a Kaby Lake i5! 

1 minute ago, Terra Firma said:

I have an Asus 990FX Sabertooth R2, which has listed support for 9000 series on it's product page. I think I'm good, and the PSU I was looking at was the Supernova NEX 650, "good" I assume? ?

The motherboard should be fine just dont expect an overclock out of a 9590.

But i feel like i must say i got rid of my 9590 due to the heat coming from it being very uncomfortable and i got a secondhand 3770k cheaper and it atleast runs games noticebly better.

Just now, TheCherryKing said:

There is no way it could have better core performance than a Kaby Lake i5! 

Exactly, most i5s and i7s have better core performance than all AMD CPUs, Ryzen even has better core performance than the old FX CPUs.

The 9590 is just an old crappy CPU that's been overclocked.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Just now, mebaby2 said:

The motherboard should be fine just dont expect an overclock out of a 9590.

But i feel like i must say i got rid of my 9590 due to the heat coming from it being very uncomfortable and i got a secondhand 3770k cheaper and it atleast runs games noticebly better.

Good to know honestly, as I'm skittish with heat. I plan on getting the stock 9590 as an alternative to overclocking the 8350, since they're both nearly the same price as it stands

AMD R5 1600 @ 3.6 GHz // 2x8GB Corsair LPX 3200MHz // Gigabyte Windforce OC 1060 6GB @ 2100MHz // Corsair RMx 650 // Crucial 275GB + Seagate 2TB 7200RPM // NZXT S340 Elite

You might be better off purchasing a PC on eBay with a 1st, 2nd, or 3rd generation Core i5. There are very good options under $200.

2 minutes ago, Terra Firma said:

If I got an 8350, I'd be overclocking it to probably where my 6300 is now. 9xxx saves me that trouble since I'm not the most experienced at it anyway

You really are saving nothing. Spending your money on an upgrade that won't even be noticed and maybe out you back in same games like my 9590 did.

I bought a 390 to use with my 9590 and legit GTA 5 I got 8fos, tired new install of windows, fresh divers everything. 

Bought a new cpu and it was fixed 

Smoking weed at the red light like its legal

Just now, Enderman said:

Exactly, most i5s and i7s have better core performance than all AMD CPUs, Ryzen even has better core performance than the old FX CPUs.

The 9590 is just an old crappy CPU that's been overclocked.

Dude, I know. I know how it all works, FX is lame and old and I know. IPC is terrible and the heat is worse, I agree. But I won't have the money to upgrade to Ryzen, since if I swap motherboards I'll need to reinstall Windows, so I might as well get a good SSD when I do. That adds alot of money. The upgrade from 6300 to 9590 will be noticable from what I'm used to, I know they're both terrible but I cannot afford to buy new MoBo and RAM and SSD right now. CPU + Cooler + PSU is way cheaper. 

With the right board you can get a stable 4.7 GHz OC out of an 8350... That's what I did...

2 minutes ago, Terra Firma said:

Dude, I know. I know how it all works, FX is lame and old and I know. IPC is terrible and the heat is worse, I agree. But I won't have the money to upgrade to Ryzen, since if I swap motherboards I'll need to reinstall Windows, so I might as well get a good SSD when I do. That adds alot of money. The upgrade from 6300 to 9590 will be noticable from what I'm used to, I know they're both terrible but I cannot afford to buy new MoBo and RAM and SSD right now. CPU + Cooler + PSU is way cheaper. 

You can get 8350s cheap on the used market and you won't need to waste money on a massive cooling system.

That way you should still have some money left over to start saving up for something that isn't a potato.

You will not notice much of a difference between a 8350 and 9590. If you OC the 8350 it will basically be a 9590 that cost less to buy.

Unless you're a video editor I doubt you will see a difference between the 6300 and 8350.

Spoiler

Just now, ksalak said:

With the right board you can get a stable 4.7 GHz OC out of an 8350... That's what I did...

And if they're the same CPU, wouldn't the heat be the same as a stock 9590?

Just now, Enderman said:

You can get 8350s cheap on the used market and you won't need to waste money on a massive cooling system.

That way you should still have some money left over to start saving up for something that isn't a potato.

You will not notice much of a difference between a 8350 and 9590.

Unless you're a video editor I doubt you will see a difference between the 6300 and 8350.

And I am a video editor, I said that. I also produce music. 

Just now, Terra Firma said:

If I were you I would get a job and save up a few hundred more bucks.

Just stay with the 6300 for a bit more, otherwise you will spend all your money on an 8350 or 9590 and be stuck with something that is still bad for an even longer amount of time.

Buying another FX CPU for barely any performance difference will just set you back on your money.

Try making rational decisions that will make sense in the long run, not "i want this now, i will spend all my money on this".

Spoiler

the only sutible cooling would be liquid nitrogen lmao

jkjk
any beefy air cooler should be fine like a dark rock pro 3

EDIT
OP dont buy this, save and buy a ryzen rig or something
i have a 8370 and im sick of how slow it can be sometimes

Get 8xxx or R5 or wait for r3. It'll give you time to save money

1 minute ago, Terra Firma said:

Then follow prior advice and hold onto your money or buy used. Put that money toward a better, far superior system in the long run that you will be satisfied with.

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

4 minutes ago, Terra Firma said:

Nobody cares at all. Ryzen will be tons better

OP if you really need to upgrade you can get some great deals on X99 motherboard and used xeon CPUs off ebay

Just now, luigi90210 said:

OP if you really need to upgrade you can get some great deals on X99 motherboard and used xeon CPUs off ebay

Honestly not really looking to buy used. I understand it works 90% of the time but I'd much rather have the satisfaction of unboxing something new, and having the warranty net to fall back on. 

As I said in the original post, I'm not really taking suggestions for options as I've weighed them all

Thank you all for your feedback and input

1 minute ago, valdyrgramr said:

Go with a tier 1-3 PSU.  As for an AIO I'd suggest a dual fan rad from Thermaltake, Corsair, or NZXT.  Do not go to Thermaltake for anything other than cooling.

Dual fan rad? As in 240mm? I can't. My case only officially supports 120mm, which I currently have- and intend to put-  in push/pull

Edited by Terra Firma

8 minutes ago, Terra Firma said:

I love how every time I ask a question everyone derails from it telling me it's stupid as if I don't know that already and have other options. 

I am on AM3+. I need AM3+ advice. I asked for cooling and PSU, not CPU options. When I switch to AM4 I intend on doing it right, with a decent $2500 budget. 

For now, I'm going to 9590, and I wanted to know how to maintain the heat that I agree and acknowledge is stupidly high. 

I understand the single core weakness. I understand the closed upgrade path. I understand the thermal and power requirements. I understand. 

But it's what I've got for now. 

well its your money and if you want to spend it on something stupid than we cant stop you

the smarter thing to do is save the $150 and put that towards your ryzen build so you can build it faster, you wont make your money back on the 9590 selling it used if you sell your systems and in the end you will feel stupid for wasting money on it, im in a similar boat as you are, im on AM3+ as well and my motherboard is overheating when i try any overclocking outside of MSI OC Genie and I want to buy another motherboard, i really want to pick up a 990fx asus board because its $70 on ebay, im not doing that because i know ill be wasting my money and instead of spending that money on a dead platform, im putting that $70 towards my ryzen build(which is a b350 motherboard)

honestly even doing a budget ryzen build sooner and upgrading later would be better, a r5 1400 will beat out the 9590 in every way and you can buy a r5 1400 for about the same price as you would a 9590, you dont need to build a new system all at once, you can do it over time, save about $350 for a new motherboard, cpu and ram on ryzen, make some of your money back selling your FX6300, mobo and ram then upgrade everything else later as needed

2 minutes ago, luigi90210 said:

well its your money and if you want to spend it on something stupid than we cant stop you

the smarter thing to do is save the $150 and put that towards your ryzen build so you can build it faster, you wont make your money back on the 9590 selling it used if you sell your systems and in the end you will feel stupid for wasting money on it, im in a similar boat as you are, im on AM3+ as well and my motherboard is overheating when i try any overclocking outside of MSI OC Genie and I want to buy another motherboard, i really want to pick up a 990fx asus board because its $70 on ebay, im not doing that because i know ill be wasting my money and instead of spending that money on a dead platform, im putting that $70 towards my ryzen build(which is a b350 motherboard)

honestly even doing a budget ryzen build sooner and upgrading later would be better, a r5 1400 will beat out the 9590 in every way and you can buy a r5 1400 for about the same price as you would a 9590, you dont need to build a new system all at once, you can do it over time, save about $350 for a new motherboard, cpu and ram on ryzen, make some of your money back selling your FX6300, mobo and ram then upgrade everything else later as needed

Actually from sources I've seen, the 1400 scores lower than the 9590 in cinebench at least, granted it's synthetic but still

And I don't intend on selling back until I'm done, and I would rather not reinstall Windows more than once so at the very least I have to get the SSD, CPU, RAM, AND Mobo at once. That's considerably higher than what I'm looking at now

Just now, valdyrgramr said:

Well, he'd have to replace the mobo, the CPU, and the RAM considering that Ryzen uses DDR4.

buying a $70 B350 board, r5 1400, and 8gb of ram will cost about $350 and he can sell his current cpu, motherboard and ram for over $100(probably $150) which means he is spending literally $50-100 more than his FX9590 upgrade and will be able to get more life out of his CPU while out performing his potential upgrade by a big margin 

3 minutes ago, luigi90210 said:

buying a $70 B350 board, r5 1400, and 8gb of ram will cost about $350 and he can sell his current cpu, motherboard and ram for over $100(probably $150) which means he is spending literally $50-100 more than his FX9590 upgrade and will be able to get more life out of his CPU while out performing his potential upgrade by a big margin 

$90 B350, $200 R5 1600 for minimum 6 cores, $120 16GB of RAM for memory-hungry sound libraries that don't like my current 8GB, $150 500GB SSD, $75-90 cooler, $75+ for 650w minumum to replace my not even bronze rated PSU. That's alot.