FX 9590 Cooling

Go to solution Solved by James09,

Sigh.......

When someone comes on here asking for specifics, the least we can do is help them with said specifics. To push the same suggestion at them more than once is just rude. Most people are not dumb and will take other people's advice, given that it makes sense to them and to their specific usage scenario. If they clearly have stated that it is not in their wishes to take your advice, take it like a man and move on.

It is certainly not wrong to want to squeeze some extra life out of a dying platform given that people have different needs and wants and means.

That being said, here is my recommendation based on what i have read and understood thus far,

1) I would highly recommend you get the FX 8370 instead of the 9590. I know you have mentioned this before but I depending on where you live and prices, I feel like you could save a little and get the 8370 and try to overclock it to near 9590 levels.

2) Whichever FX CPU you get you will definitely be needing a decent PSU. A good 650W gold rated one will serve you well over an extended period of time. The one you mentioned to me before seems adequate even for a 9590. I have linked the johnnyguru article below but I am unsure whether its the same one you're looking at. Nevertheless, I would pick one based on professional reviews from johnnyguru or HardOCP rather than online user reviews/ratings.

3) The savings from getting a 8370 might enable you to consider getting a better, more modern case that has adequate room for at least a 240mm AIO, which most decent ones do. If you are budget limited there are a number of modern cases sub $100 that are well designed such as the NZXT S340 or the new Fractal Design Focus G. The new Focus G seems to be pretty well designed and at a decent price.

4) If you still have any spare case left over and assuming you decide on all of the above you can then think about getting a 240mm radiator instead of a 120mm. That will not only help with noise but cooling as well. Alternatively you can get a high end tower style air cooler such as the Noctua NH-D15s or the Be Quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3. Both of which offer can handle a high heat load without being too loud. But be careful to double check the height and compare it to your chosen cases's height restriction.

Good Luck and I hope this helped! 

1 minute ago, Terra Firma said:

Actually from sources I've seen, the 1400 scores lower than the 9590 in cinebench at least, granted it's synthetic but still

And I don't intend on selling back until I'm done, and I would rather not reinstall Windows more than once so at the very least I have to get the SSD, CPU, RAM, AND Mobo at once. That's considerably higher than what I'm looking at now

what scores have you seen? a 9590 doesnt outperform a FX8370 by much, when i was able to overclock my 8370 to 4.8ghz i scored around the 6600k on cinebench which is what a 9590 will score stock and there isnt anything really left on the 9590

index.php?ct=articles&action=file&id=31931

Just now, valdyrgramr said:

1) Pretty sure I saw somebody mention Ryzen.

2) Never brought up costs just saying what he'd have to replace.

3) Outside of a few OCers who is still looking at FX?

Again, who is going to buy an FX now?

OP is, thats what he wants to upgrade to from his FX6300

6 minutes ago, Terra Firma said:

$90 B350, $200 R5 1600 for minimum 6 cores, $120 16GB of RAM for memory-hungry sound libraries that don't like my current 8GB, $150 500GB SSD, $75-90 cooler, $75+ for 650w minumum to replace my not even bronze rated PSU. That's alot. 

why do you need a 6 core right now? you are looking at buying what is essentially a 4c/8t processor(i know its 8 true cores but they share resources between one another) so look at something similar and why do you need a $90 B350 board, there are plenty of mATX boards for $70 that do not limit your overclocking head room

heck this is what i plan on upgrading to
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/msVyd6

thats $385 and you get 16gb of ram, a 6 core processor and a cheap b350 motherboard that will work just as well as any other b350 board

as far as your power supply goes, you dont need to change anything right away and over time you can upgrade the power supply and case and video card if need be

If you sell the FX-6300 and your MOBO on /r/hardwareswap, then you will get about 80 dollars for both. 

If you sell your (estimating 8GB) DDR3 RAM, you will get about 30 dollars.

If you buy a Noctua D15 or a AIO, then it is 90 dollars to spend.

If you buy the 9590, then the cheapest is 135 dollars to spend.

Add them all up, you have 90+135+30+80=335 dollars

If you buy the Ryzen R5 1400, which gives better performance than the 9590 when overclocked, it is 160 dollars, included with a nice cooler.

If you buy a B350 motherboard, then it is about 65 dollars.

If you buy a 8GB stick(s) of DDR4 RAM, it is about 60 dollars for 2800mhz DDR4 RAM. 

Add them all up, you have 160+65+60=285 dollars, and 40 dollars extra if you want extra cores to R5 1600.

Instead of buying a stupid cooler and an ancient CPU, go the Ryzen route and you will technically save cash, and gain tons of upgrade-ability for the future.

Seriously, make a smart decision and opt for a Ryzen, not the 9590+AIO or beefy cooler route.

3 minutes ago, whoisit1118 said:

If you sell the FX-6300 and your MOBO on /r/hardwareswap, then you will get about 80 dollars for both. 

If you buy the Ryzen R5 1400, which gives better performance than the 9590 when overclocked, it is 160 dollars, included with a nice cooler.

If you buy a 8GB stick(s) of DDR4 RAM, it is about 60 dollars for 2800mhz DDR4 RAM. 

Add them all up, you have 160+65+60=285 dollars, and 40 dollars extra if you want extra cores to R5 1600.

Instead of buying a stupid cooler and an ancient CPU, go the Ryzen route and you will technically save cash, and gain tons of upgrade-ability for the future.

Seriously, make a smart decision and opt for a Ryzen, not the 9590+AIO or beefy cooler route.

look at my pcpartpicker link i posted above, for about the same price as what you posted he can get a R5 1600 with an even better cooler, a $65 B350 board(after shipping) and 16GB of ram(OP needs more than 8GB for his work) for about $385

1 minute ago, whoisit1118 said:

This assumes selling my current PC first, which isn't an option

2 minutes ago, luigi90210 said:

why do you need a 6 core right now? you are looking at buying what is essentially a 4c/8t processor(i know its 8 true cores but they share resources between one another) so look at something similar and why do you need a $90 B350 board, there are plenty of mATX boards for $70 that do not limit your overclocking head room

heck this is what i plan on upgrading to
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/msVyd6

thats $385 and you get 16gb of ram, a 6 core processor and a cheap b350 motherboard that will work just as well as any other b350 board

I'm looking at full ATX boards minimum

And 6c makes sense because of pricing. The price jump vs the performance jump from 1400 to 1600 makes the 1400 look stupid from my buying standpoint. 

The performance gain is worth the cost

I do alot of rendering on my system. I'd be uncomfortable on a quad core, and limiting to only buying new, my other option is X99. Not happening. 

AMD R5 1600 @ 3.6 GHz // 2x8GB Corsair LPX 3200MHz // Gigabyte Windforce OC 1060 6GB @ 2100MHz // Corsair RMx 650 // Crucial 275GB + Seagate 2TB 7200RPM // NZXT S340 Elite

7 minutes ago, Terra Firma said:

$90 B350, $200 R5 1600 for minimum 6 cores, $120 16GB of RAM for memory-hungry sound libraries that don't like my current 8GB, $150 500GB SSD, $75-90 cooler, $75+ for 650w minumum to replace my not even bronze rated PSU. That's alot. 

You don't need a 75-90 dollar cooler for a Ryzen.

If you don't like your current 8GB RAM, then you would have had to upgrade that anyway,

If you don't have the 500GB SSD at the moment, then you would have had to buy that anyway,

You would just need a 30 dollar bronze rated PSU to power a Ryzen+other parts, and you wouldn't technically even need to buy a PSU to power a ryzen,

Your only true cost is the B350 MoBo, $200 R5 1600 if you just want to upgrade the CPU, which would effectively be cancelled(obviously not completely) out by selling your old part.

You wouldn't need to buy the cooler too.

1 minute ago, whoisit1118 said:

You don't need a 75-90 dollar cooler for a Ryzen.

If you don't like your current 8GB RAM, then you would have had to upgrade that anyway,

If you don't have the 500GB SSD at the moment, then you would have had to buy that anyway,

You would just need a 30 dollar bronze rated PSU to power a Ryzen+other parts, and you wouldn't technically even need to buy a PSU to power a ryzen,

Your only true cost is the B350 MoBo, $200 R5 1600 if you just want to upgrade the CPU, which would effectively be cancelled(obviously not completely) out by selling your old part.

You wouldn't need to buy the cooler too.

The point is something you've just said though. I don't have the SSD, and I have to buy the RAM anyway. So it gets factored in

And I've heard great things about the Ryzen stock cooler but I vehemently hate stock coolers and want a 120mm AIO at the least. My current one is a couple years old so I don't trust it's lifespan already on my FX, and I don't much see the point of buying another one. Granted though the H55 and H60 are like sub $70 aren't they? I wouldn't mind that as long as it kept temps between 50-60 under load

AMD R5 1600 @ 3.6 GHz // 2x8GB Corsair LPX 3200MHz // Gigabyte Windforce OC 1060 6GB @ 2100MHz // Corsair RMx 650 // Crucial 275GB + Seagate 2TB 7200RPM // NZXT S340 Elite

4 minutes ago, Terra Firma said:

And 6c makes sense because of pricing. The price jump vs the performance jump from 1400 to 1600 makes the 1400 look stupid from my buying standpoint. 

I do alot of rendering on my system. I'd be uncomfortable on a quad core, and limiting to only buying new, my other option is X99. Not happening. 

*sigh*

7 minutes ago, Terra Firma said:

x99 would be even cheaper, $150 for a refurbished board off ebay(which includes a warranty), $100-150 for a 6-10c xeon(no warranty but buy ebays warranty for $2.99) and ram will be the same as ryzen, but i digress

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/3mqYCy

there is one with a full sized atx board, price went up by $10 so $390 for this upgrade over the $250 you'll spend upgrading to the 9590+AIO and if you sell your parts on /r/hardwareswap you can get $130 for your current system which brings the price of your upgrade to $260 than you can save money and buy a 500gb SSD and $30 EVGA 500B later, you dont need to upgrade everything all at once

3 minutes ago, luigi90210 said:

x99 would be even cheaper, $150 for a refurbished board off ebay(which includes a warranty), $100-150 for a 6-10c xeon(no warranty but buy ebays warranty for $2.99) and ram will be the same as ryzen, but i digress

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/3mqYCy

there is one with a full sized atx board, price went up by $10 so $390 for this upgrade over the $250 you'll spend upgrading to the 9590+AIO and if you sell your parts on /r/hardwareswap you can get $130 for your current system which brings the price of your upgrade to $260 than you can save money and buy a 500gb SSD and $30 EVGA 500B later, you dont need to upgrade everything all at once

I am following, and I am understanding

But again, I'd rather not install Windows more than once. I have to do it when I swap mobos, and is there really a point to an SSD if it isn't the OS drive? My current HDD is my true biggest bottleneck 

And I got shit for my PSU when I upgraded my graphics card already, it doesn't even have a rating on it and I do intend to OC that Ryzen

Just now, Terra Firma said:

I am following, and I am understanding

But again, I'd rather not install Windows more than once. I have to do it when I swap mobos, and is there really a point to an SSD if it isn't the OS drive? My current HDD is my true biggest bottleneck 

And I got shit for my PSU when I upgraded my graphics card already, it doesn't even have a rating on it and I do intend to OC that Ryzen

you dont have to install windows more than once, you just have to reactivate your current install and when you get your ssd you can clone your current install onto it

so if you really want a power supply than add $30ish for a EVGA 500B and you will have more than enough power for your system

according to pcpartpicker you will have more than enough head room with a CX450m(which is a much better power supply than the EVGA 500B)
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/mwNWRG
i included a 1060 6g in there to show power usage, even with an overclock you have another 200w to play with so you will  be covered by that $26 power supply

5 minutes ago, luigi90210 said:

you dont have to install windows more than once, you just have to reactivate your current install and when you get your ssd you can clone your current install onto it

so if you really want a power supply than add $30ish for a EVGA 500B and you will have more than enough power for your system

according to pcpartpicker you will have more than enough head room with a CX450m(which is a much better power supply than the EVGA 500B)
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/mwNWRG
i included a 1060 6g in there to show power usage, even with an overclock you have another 200w to play with so you will  be covered by that $26 power supply

I honestly appreciate your feedback and suggestions, and I hate to be the apparent "typical 9590" customer, but its not so much ignorance as it is pickiness.

I want six cores. I want 16GB ram. I want a gold modular PSU. I want a full ATX board, i want a minimum 500GB of SSD, and i would really rather that be M.2 but I'll do SATA if i have to. And above most else, I'm only buying new, and not selling this one before hand. I can sell my parts after the fact to maybe upgrade GPU or the terrible case and 3pin fans that are loud as shit, but other than that it's simply a do it right or dont do it at all scenario.

It's "spend $460 now or wait another year for the extra $340 for Ryzen"
And I cannot stand the current state of my PC as is. 9590 would be a huge step forward in rendering times. It's very roughly the performance of a 6/7th gen i5, no? That will be enough to tide me over until i can build from scratch on Ryzen.

Sigh.......

When someone comes on here asking for specifics, the least we can do is help them with said specifics. To push the same suggestion at them more than once is just rude. Most people are not dumb and will take other people's advice, given that it makes sense to them and to their specific usage scenario. If they clearly have stated that it is not in their wishes to take your advice, take it like a man and move on.

It is certainly not wrong to want to squeeze some extra life out of a dying platform given that people have different needs and wants and means.

That being said, here is my recommendation based on what i have read and understood thus far,

1) I would highly recommend you get the FX 8370 instead of the 9590. I know you have mentioned this before but I depending on where you live and prices, I feel like you could save a little and get the 8370 and try to overclock it to near 9590 levels.

2) Whichever FX CPU you get you will definitely be needing a decent PSU. A good 650W gold rated one will serve you well over an extended period of time. The one you mentioned to me before seems adequate even for a 9590. I have linked the johnnyguru article below but I am unsure whether its the same one you're looking at. Nevertheless, I would pick one based on professional reviews from johnnyguru or HardOCP rather than online user reviews/ratings.

3) The savings from getting a 8370 might enable you to consider getting a better, more modern case that has adequate room for at least a 240mm AIO, which most decent ones do. If you are budget limited there are a number of modern cases sub $100 that are well designed such as the NZXT S340 or the new Fractal Design Focus G. The new Focus G seems to be pretty well designed and at a decent price.

4) If you still have any spare case left over and assuming you decide on all of the above you can then think about getting a 240mm radiator instead of a 120mm. That will not only help with noise but cooling as well. Alternatively you can get a high end tower style air cooler such as the Noctua NH-D15s or the Be Quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3. Both of which offer can handle a high heat load without being too loud. But be careful to double check the height and compare it to your chosen cases's height restriction.

Not trying to be obnoxious here, but I don't get why this got to 3 pages having diverged completely from the initial point. 

OP, the way I see it, what you want right now is some cashflow for a decent PSU, SSD, the 9590 you want and the cooler, yes?

Assuming you can get a good price on the 9590, your board has the expandability you want (I understand the ATX board bias), the only thing you won't be able to use in the future out of those is the 9590 (and the rest of the platform of course) since you'll have to migrate to a completely different platform in the future. This isn't this deplorable purchase everyone's making it out to be.

OS: W10 | MB: ASUS Sabertooth P67 | CPU: i7 2600k @ 4.6 | RAM: 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600mhz | GPU: x2 MSI GTX 980 Gaming 4G | Storage: x2 WD CB 1TB, x1 WD CB 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM850x | Spare a moment for Night Theme Users:

Spoiler

I'm an erudite cave-dwelling Troglodyte
I frequent LinusTechTips past midnight
Dark backgrounds I crave 
For my sun-seared red gaze
I'll molest you if you don't form your text right

1 minute ago, James09 said:

Sigh.......

I'd like to bring attention to the beginning of what you said. I understand everyone's advice, and wholeheartedly agree. I know where you're coming from and it makes sense to me but given my current specific scenario, i want to do the upgrade right and in one go, and that requires a much higher cost. This cost will take a MUCH longer time to accumulate, making it not worth it to wait on a system that aggravates me to use in it's current state or get something honestly half-assed and wait the same amount of time to make it what i want it to be. 
FX is terrible. All in agreement? Okay.
That being said, AM3+ is what im on for the time being and that will remain true until i have the cash onhand to switch to AM4 the way i want to. 

Onto your points. I do have a couple of cases in mind, but my evil personal pickiness affects that too. I like the Carbide 400C, and i WANT the Crystal 570x with some dope RGB bling. The carbide is just fine enough to be worth it if it comes down to that small a margin and i agree
I'd like to pair that dope RGB horsepower with some a dope NZXT x52, but thats more expensive than a decent H100 yet to me, worth the premium. So again, it becomes a case of do it all together the way i want it, or focus elsewhere.

I have previously considered 8350/70 against 9590 in a different thread but didnt get anywhere significant due to the same kind of responses i've been getting here. I've mentioned before I only really consider the 9590 as a time saver, the 8350 to where i would want to overclock it without actually having to fiddle around with things for hours. If i overclocked an 8xxx to 9590 levels, would it not be the same thermals and power draw anyway?

7 minutes ago, LooneyJuice said:

Not trying to be obnoxious here, but I don't get why this got to 3 pages having diverged completely from the initial point. 

OP, the way I see it, what you want right now is some cashflow for a decent PSU, SSD, the 9590 you want and the cooler, yes?

Assuming you can get a good price on the 9590, your board has the expandability you want (I understand the ATX board bias), the only thing you won't be able to use in the future out of those is the 9590 (and the rest of the platform of course) since you'll have to migrate to a completely different platform in the future. This isn't this deplorable purchase everyone's making it out to be.

No, you're not obnoxious at all as i dont understand either. i specifically asked for cooling and power, and stated that i wasnt really considering CPU options. 

I understand though. the entire platform being dated is the reason i want to do everything in one go, ill need to replace it all anyway so i kinda just want to think of it as a seperate build instead of an upgrade. 
Everyone is coming with suggestions for the cheapest possible way to improve performance and while i respect and understand this, i also have a very specific idea in my head of what i want it to be, how i want it to look. that takes liberties with cost that when factored against my current money situation, make it all make sense to me. this is not apparent to everyone else and i understand.

9 minutes ago, James09 said:

-snip

-snip-

The first bit is crazy-important. Don't ever cheap out on your PSU OP. It'll outlast multiple systems sometimes, and even though people like to use the cost to splurge on something else, don't do it. The peace of mind alone is worth it. 

Also, the case purchase isn't a bad point considering that it's also something of an investment and something that will last you through different systems. 

And yeah, a decent case that fits bigger rads definitely sweetens the pot for liquid cooling. I'd only ever look at 240mm+ AIOs if you want liquid cooling to make any sense other than looks.

OS: W10 | MB: ASUS Sabertooth P67 | CPU: i7 2600k @ 4.6 | RAM: 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600mhz | GPU: x2 MSI GTX 980 Gaming 4G | Storage: x2 WD CB 1TB, x1 WD CB 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM850x | Spare a moment for Night Theme Users:

Spoiler

Dark backgrounds I crave 

No, you're not obnoxious at all as i dont understand either. i specifically asked for cooling and power, and stated that i wasnt really considering CPU options. 

I understand though. the entire platform being dated is the reason i want to do everything in one go, ill need to replace it all anyway so i kinda just want to think of it as a seperate build instead of an upgrade. 
Everyone is coming with suggestions for the cheapest possible way to improve performance and while i respect and understand this, i also have a very specific idea in my head of what i want it to be, how i want it to look. that takes liberties with cost that when factored against my current money situation, make it all make sense to me. this is not apparent to everyone else and i understand.

Sorry for the double post, but I think there's also another point to be made here. Even if it's aging, you have a good board on a platform that, as I understand, satisfies your needs. I'd take that over a cheapo ITX board any day. Component quality sometimes matters as much (if not more) than platform currency.

Spoiler

Dark backgrounds I crave 

1 minute ago, LooneyJuice said:

The first bit is crazy-important. Don't ever cheap out on your PSU OP. It'll outlast multiple systems sometimes, and even though people like to use the cost to splurge on something else, don't do it. The peace of mind alone is worth it. 

Also, the case purchase isn't a bad point considering that it's also something of an investment and something that will last you through different systems. 

And yeah, a decent case that fits bigger rads definitely sweetens the pot for liquid cooling. I'd only ever look at 240mm+ AIOs if you want liquid cooling to make any sense other than looks.

I understand. 

My current PSU is a standard 500w EVGA 80+, i bought this computer prebuilt from Ironside, where again every dollar counted and a better PSU would sap significantly at the performance i wouldve gotten. I know how important it is, and how long it can last, which is why i really only want to settle for a 650w gold modular unit.

The case was another place where i cheaped out initially, and why it only supports 120. Honestly in its current state my temperatures have surprised me compared to what anyone else is reporting, but that is on a 95w CPU and not a 220w one. That was why i asked for help, if a 120 would keep a 9590 comfortable.

I understand. 

My current PSU is a standard 500w EVGA 80+, i bought this computer prebuilt from Ironside, where again every dollar counted and a better PSU would sap significantly at the performance i wouldve gotten. I know how important it is, and how long it can last, which is why i really only want to settle for a 650w gold modular unit.

The case was another place where i cheaped out initially, and why it only supports 120. Honestly in its current state my temperatures have surprised me compared to what anyone else is reporting, but that is on a 95w CPU and not a 220w one. That was why i asked for help, if a 120 would keep a 9590 comfortable.

Regarding the latter, @James09 said it all. When comparing apples to apples for pricing, larger air coolers will generally get you more than 120mm AIOs. I'd only go for the latter due to space constraints or maybe a concern regarding cooler overhang damaging your board. Additionally there's instances like f.ex. my Sabertooth, which due to the "armor" will not accommodate some air coolers, and a waterblock or block/pump just fits better.

Spoiler

Dark backgrounds I crave 

4 minutes ago, LooneyJuice said:

Regarding the latter, @James09 said it all. When comparing apples to apples for pricing, larger air coolers will generally get you more than 120mm AIOs. I'd only go for the latter due to space constraints or maybe a concern regarding cooler overhang damaging your board. Additionally there's instances like f.ex. my Sabertooth, which due to the "armor" will not accommodate some air coolers, and a waterblock or block/pump just fits better.

Good to know.

This leaves one question hanging in regards to @James09 recommending 8370. If i overclock 8xxx to 9xxx levels, would they not perform identically? Power draw and thermals would be the same, no? 

25 minutes ago, James09 said:

Sigh...! 

I still don't think the fx is remotely a good idea but I do agree that if he does get fx (again highly recommend against) he should get 8whateverthehellitis over the 9590

1 minute ago, Abyss Gaming said:

I still don't think the fx is remotely a good idea but I do agree that if he does get fx (again highly recommend against) he should get 8whateverthehellitis over the 9590

It has been stated that i agree, FX is a terrible idea but its one of my two options, the other costing significantly more due to admittedly my own pickiness. I am open to 8xxx, as ive said i only really consider 9590 as a time saver. overclock out of the box so i dont have to do it. if i overclock 8xxx doesnt it look and perform exactly the same, and require the same cooling and power?

Just now, Terra Firma said:

Good to know.

This leaves one question hanging in regards to @James09 recommending 8370. If i overclock 8xxx to 9xxx levels, would they not perform identically? Power draw and thermals would be the same, no? 

Can't confirm the latter. You'd have to find an article regarding OCed 8370 power draw. Power draw is completely non-linear when overclocking, but I'd assume they'd be getting close. I think it's more of a price thing than anything else. Back then it was more of the typical conundrum of paying more for a higher rated chip, or less to overclock.

Spoiler

Dark backgrounds I crave