7740X's overclockabilty reviewed

OriAr
Just now, SpaceGhostC2C said:

They also know a little about selling absurd CPUs (cfr. i3-7350K). Doesn't change what I said.

But of course, we know way more than Intel does

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

Mice: Logitech G Pro X Superlight (main), Logitech G Pro Wireless, Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402

Can't the 7700k hit 5ghz, who would buy a x299 board for a kaby lake x it would have to do 6ghz or something lmao

1 minute ago, SpaceGhostC2C said:

That is reiterating, not clarifying :P I'm asking what entering to X299 means given that it certainly doesn't mean entering any of the features that make it different from Z170...

Having an X299 board, and being able to use it at any capacity. It doesn't have to be different from Z270 in any regard, other than the chipset is X299.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

1 minute ago, juri-han said:

Can't the 7700k hit 5ghz, who would buy a x299 board for a kaby lake x it would have to do 6ghz or something lmao

Yeah, the 7700K can do 5GHz at 1.35V

lmao

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

Mice: Logitech G Pro X Superlight (main), Logitech G Pro Wireless, Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402

Just now, SpaceGhostC2C said:

That is reiterating, not clarifying :P I'm asking what entering to X299 means given that it certainly doesn't mean entering any of the features that makes it different from Z170...

It allows us to pay more for feature and performance parity to the Z series, how can this not be a good thing for Intel ;)

I think I called this a while back: The justification will be 5.3ghz overclocks stable because it is supper important to reach that 240hz refresh rate...for some reason...

-------

Current Rig

-------

Just now, PCGuy_5960 said:

But of course, we know way more than Intel does

That's a fantastic argument to essentially close the forum... 9_9

I guess we know way more than AMD does, given how anyone dared to criticize Bulldozer...

We know way more than Nvidia and AMD, that's how we dare to comment on their drivers...

We know way more than any case maker, that's why we discuss their ugliness...

We know way more than Apple, since we discussed its I/O choices...

Man, we must be so wise, given that we even open our mouths! :o

(In case you haven't realized, "it's the move by a big company, so it must be the a fantastic decision" is a gigantic fallacy).

10 minutes ago, SpaceGhostC2C said:

I guess we know way more than AMD does, given how anyone dared to criticize Bulldozer...

Did AMD sell a lot of FX CPUs? Yes

We know way more than Nvidia and AMD, that's how we dare to comment on their drivers...

Did AMD's/Nvidia's drivers affect their sales? Nope

We know way more than any case maker, that's why we discuss their ugliness...

Did case manufacturers manage to sell a lot of those cases? Yes

We know way more than Apple, since we discussed its I/O choices...

Did Apple sell a lot of CrapBooks with 1 USB-C port? Yep

Were any of their choices fantastic? Nope

Despite that, they managed to sell a large number of those products, so Intel will sell way more 7740Xs than most people are anticipating.

15 minutes ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

Yeah, the 7700K can do 5GHz at 1.35V

lmao

What's it matter when the 7740k is in the mid 80s at stock speed?

Just now, juri-han said:

What'svit matter when the 7740k is in the mid 80s at stock speed?

What? The 7740X was able to overclock to 5GHz with 1.21V, so thermals are probably fine

3 minutes ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

What? The 7740X was able to overclock to 5GHz with 1.21V, so thermals are probably fine

Intel-Core-i7-7740X-Temperature-1.png

3 hours ago, Princess Cadence said:

Thus why replacing the 7700k useless iGPU that none of us use with an extra hyper-threaded core

because you need another dye for that, you cant just grab a core and tape it on there, its quite a lot more complicated then that. :P id love to see some tripple cores and penta cores though

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

2 minutes ago, juri-han said:

Intel-Core-i7-7740X-Temperature-1.png

Oh Prime95? With AVX enabled? NO SHIT SHERLOCK, AVX always increases temps AND voltage. And idk if you can tell, but this is a rumor not a review

7 minutes ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

I guess Paul is testing a 7740X for his post NDA review.  He got one from Gigabyte while he's waiting on a 7900X from Intel to arrive.  

Just now, done12many2 said:

I guess Paul is testing a 7740X for his post NDA release.  He got one from Gigabyte while he's waiting on a 7900X from Intel to arrive.  

Yep, but he will have to redo his testing, because...... BIOS updates :P

Yep, but he will have to redo his testing, because...... BIOS updates :P

Yeah, I see that in a lot of the reviewers comments.  Seems to be some fear of a Ryzen BIOS updates repeat.  While I think there will be some, I don't it will be that involved.  

Gotta agree with @MageTank here. The dual channel i5 and i7 doesn't really make any sense on the platform no matter how you look at it. They aren't great for diags (half or more of your board will be disabled) so anything that goes busted on that board that isn't supported by kaby-x what happens then ? All this did was make the boards unnecessarily complicated for the platform.

CPU: Intel i7 7700K | GPU: ROG Strix GTX 1080Ti | PSU: Seasonic X-1250 (faulty) | Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB 3200Mhz 16GB | OS Drive: Western Digital Black NVMe 250GB | Game Drive(s): Samsung 970 Evo 500GB, Hitachi 7K3000 3TB 3.5" | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z270x Gaming 7 | Case: Fractal Design Define S (No Window and modded front Panel) | Monitor(s): Dell S2716DG G-Sync 144Hz, Acer R240HY 60Hz (Dead) | Keyboard: G.SKILL RIPJAWS KM780R MX | Mouse: Steelseries Sensei 310 (Striked out parts are sold or dead, awaiting zen2 parts)

4 hours ago, Princess Cadence said:

The i7 7740x does not feature an iGPU right? Couldn't they have fit an extra core in the place of it and make it 5c/10t (odd number I know but still) only to give users a little bit more reason to get it over the conventional 7700k?

6UIUdzM.png

They could've put 4 more cores on the 7700K and Kaby Lake-X is double the size of Kaby Lake-S, or at least they have enough space under the IHS to have it double the size, so....

although Broadwell is by far the biggest offender:

BDW-U.png

CPU: Intel i7 5820K @ 4.20 GHz | MotherboardMSI X99S SLI PLUS | RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 @ 2666MHz | GPU: Sapphire R9 Fury (x2 CrossFire)
Storage: Samsung 950Pro 512GB // OCZ Vector150 240GB // Seagate 1TB | PSU: Seasonic 1050 Snow Silent | Case: NZXT H440 | Cooling: Nepton 240M
FireStrike // Extreme // Ultra // 8K // 16K

3 minutes ago, DXMember said:

They could've put 4 more cores on the 7700K and Kaby Lake-X is double the size of Kaby Lake-S, or at least they have enough space under the IHS to have it double the size, so....

They could have put 4 more cores, but that would have made the 7820X pointless xD

Just now, PCGuy_5960 said:

They could have put 4 more cores, but that would have made the 7820X pointless xD

having iGPU take 60% of silicon on enthusiast overclocking chip is pointless... they could've used half the silicon and sold it at Ryzen 5 prices

CPU: Intel i7 5820K @ 4.20 GHz | MotherboardMSI X99S SLI PLUS | RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 @ 2666MHz | GPU: Sapphire R9 Fury (x2 CrossFire)
Storage: Samsung 950Pro 512GB // OCZ Vector150 240GB // Seagate 1TB | PSU: Seasonic 1050 Snow Silent | Case: NZXT H440 | Cooling: Nepton 240M

Just now, DXMember said:

having iGPU take 60% of silicon on enthusiast overclocking chip is pointless... they could've used half the silicon and sold it at Ryzen 5 prices

That's also true, but wouldn't that make the 7700K pointless?

That's also true, but wouldn't that make the 7700K pointless?

they should've done that with the 7700K - have it no iGPU, have it half the size or better yet - half the density - that'd fix the cooling issues, and sell at 1/4 off

Xeons don't waste silicon on lame integrated graphics.... put some cache there or more cores or make the cores bigger and start doing four threads per core... do something...

It's like they actually expect desktop users to utilize that iGPU

1 hour ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

Did AMD sell a lot of FX CPUs? Yes

Did AMD's/Nvidia's drivers affect their sales? Nope

Did case manufacturers manage to sell a lot of those cases? Yes

Did Apple sell a lot of CrapBooks with 1 USB-C port? Yep

Were any of their choices fantastic? Nope

Despite that, they managed to sell a large number of those products, so Intel will sell way more 7740Xs than most people are anticipating.

What EXACTLY are you arguing? That any decision made by a company is retroactively good if sales aren't affected?

Do I need to bring up blood diamonds again? Or fucking slavery?

4 minutes ago, SSL said:

What EXACTLY are you arguing? That any decision made by a company is retroactively good if sales aren't affected?

Do I need to bring up blood diamonds again? Or fucking slavery?

/hug

I do wonder if native Sata ports are effected by CPU or so, I know PCIE lanes are effected but haven't heard anything about Sata ports. 

I just need a bunch of storage and having more Sata ports would be great.