7740X's overclockabilty reviewed

OriAr
8 minutes ago, SSL said:

What EXACTLY are you arguing? That any decision made by a company is retroactively good if sales aren't affected?

I didn't say that it's a good decision, I just said that Intel will probably sell more 7740Xs than we are anticipating ;)

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

Mice: Logitech G Pro X Superlight (main), Logitech G Pro Wireless, Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402

2 minutes ago, Bubblewhale said:

I do wonder if native Sata ports are effected by CPU or so, I know PCIE lanes are effected but haven't heard anything about Sata ports. 

I just need a bunch of storage and having more Sata ports would be great. 

Just as it is in z270, 4 PCIe lanes run from the CPU to the DMI 3.0 in support of the chipsets further splitting into 28 PCIe lanes for things such as the SATA and other I/O. 

You'll have 16 CPU PCIe lanes dedicated to GPUs or whatever you need them for and 28 chipset PCIe lanes.  

Just now, done12many2 said:

Just as it is in z270, 4 PCIe lanes run from the CPU to the DMI 3.0 in support of the chipsets further splitting into 28 PCIe lanes for things such as the SATA and other I/O. 

You'll have 16 CPU PCIe lanes dedicated to GPUs or whatever you need them for and 28 chipset PCIe lanes.  

Yeah I know about the PCIE lanes in Z270/X299 usage, just wasn't sure if that was directly for I/O or just for add on PCIE cards(M.2/NVME) only.   

4 minutes ago, Bubblewhale said:

Yeah I know about the PCIE lanes in Z270/X299 usage, just wasn't sure if that was directly for I/O or just for add on PCIE cards(M.2/NVME) only.   

How you liking that TZ 3600 c16 set?  One of the best sets out there.

6 hours ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

You missed an important detail there: X99 has been around for a while. I can tell you that my Rampage V Edition 10 dropped down around the USD $549 bracket after the initital USD $599 launch price over a span of 3-6 months since Broadwell-E launched.

So, expect X299 (now that Intel requires it to support both Skylake-X and Kaby Lake-X) to start at over USD $199. Not cheap at all for even the most basic of X299 boards!

The launch of X299 is so rushed, Gigabyte isn't supporting Thunderbolt 3 on any of their X299 boards (you have to go through the certification process to get the Thunderbolt 3 specification implemented. You can't just tack it on and call it a day), and Asus with their top-dog Rampage VI Extreme isn't going to support Kaby Lake-X. So whoever is (or was) going to pair the Rampage VI Extreme with the i7-7740X is shit out of luck; they're not compatible.

RIGZ

Spoiler

Starlight (Current): AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 12-core CPU | EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti Black Edition | Gigabyte X570 Aorus Ultra | Full Custom Loop | 32GB (4x8GB) Dominator Platinum SE Blackout #338/500 | 1TB + 2TB M.2 NVMe PCIe 4.0 SSDs, 480GB SATA 2.5" SSD, 8TB 7200 RPM NAS HDD | EVGA NU Audio | Corsair 900D | Corsair AX1200i | Corsair ML120 2-pack 5x + ML140 2-pack

The Storm (Retired): Intel Core i7-5930K | Asus ROG STRIX GeForce GTX 1080 Ti | Asus ROG RAMPAGE V EDITION 10 | EKWB EK-KIT P360 with Hardware Labs Black Ice SR2 Multiport 480 | 32GB (4x8GB) Dominator Platinum SE Blackout #338/500 | 480GB SATA 2.5" SSD + 3TB 5400 RPM NAS HDD + 8TB 7200 RPM NAS HDD | Corsair 900D | Corsair AX1200i + Black/Blue CableMod cables | Corsair ML120 2-pack 2x + NB-BlackSilentPro PL-2 x3

STRONK COOLZ 9000

Spoiler

EK-Quantum Momentum X570 Aorus Master monoblock | EK-FC RTX 2080 + Ti Classic RGB Waterblock and Backplate | EK-XRES 140 D5 PWM Pump/Res Combo | 2x Hardware Labs Black Ice SR2 480 MP and 1x SR2 240 MP | 10X Corsair ML120 PWM fans | A mixture of EK-KIT fittings and EK-Torque STC fittings and adapters | Mayhems 10/13mm clear tubing | Mayhems X1 Eco UV Blue coolant | Bitspower G1/4 Temperature Probe Fitting

DESK TOIS

Spoiler

Glorious Modular Mechanical Keyboard | Glorious Model D Featherweight Mouse | 2x BenQ PD3200Q 32" 1440p IPS displays + BenQ BL3200PT 32" 1440p VA display | Mackie ProFX10v3 USB Mixer + Marantz MPM-1000 Mic | Sennheiser HD 598 SE Headphones | 2x ADAM Audio T5V 5" Powered Studio Monitors + ADAM Audio T10S Powered Studio Subwoofer | Logitech G920 Driving Force Steering Wheel and Pedal Kit + Driving Force Shifter | Logitech C922x 720p 60FPS Webcam | Xbox One Wireless Controller

QUOTES

Spoiler

"So because they didn't give you the results you want, they're biased? You realize that makes you biased, right?" - @App4that

"Brand loyalty/fanboyism is stupid." - Unknown person on these forums

"Assuming kills" - @Moondrelor

"That's not to say that Nvidia is always better, or that AMD isn't worth owning. But the fact remains that this forum is AMD biased." - @App4that

"I'd imagine there's exceptions to this trend - but just going on mine and my acquaintances' purchase history, we've found that budget cards often require you to turn off certain features to get slick performance, even though those technologies are previous gen and should be having a negligible impact" - ace42

"2K" is not 2560 x 1440 

6 minutes ago, done12many2 said:

How you liking that TZ 3600 c16 set?  One of the best sets out there.

Actually it was 3200 CL15, but overclocking to 3600 CL16 was easy though. Reckon I could get 3733 or 4133 with messing the timings and voltage even more. Crazy how it's almost 200 just to buy that set..

20 minutes ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

I didn't say that it's a good decision, I just said that Intel will probably sell more 7740Xs than we are anticipating ;)

Has anyone so far made any claims as to how many 7740Xs will be sold? I don't see how that's relevant to the discussion.

3 minutes ago, JurunceNK said:

You missed an important detail there: X99 has been around for a while. I can tell you that my Rampage V Edition 10 dropped down around the USD $549 bracket after the initital USD $599 launch price over a span of 3-6 months since Broadwell-E launched.

Still one of my favorite boards out there.  

3 minutes ago, JurunceNK said:

The launch of X299 is so rushed, Gigabyte isn't supporting Thunderbolt 3 on any of their X299 boards (you have to go through the certification process to get the Thunderbolt 3 specification implemented. You can't just tack it on and call it a day)

There's also a nice cost associated with including TB3 on any motherboard. It's definitely not a common feature.  

2 minutes ago, JurunceNK said:

Asus with their top-dog Rampage VI Extreme isn't going to support Kaby Lake-X. So whoever is (or was) going to pair the Rampage VI Extreme with the i7-7740X is shit out of luck; they're not compatible.

Initially, that's the board I wanted, but I'm fairly certain I'm going with the Apex this time.  I wish I would have had the Apex for z270 as well.  

1 minute ago, SSL said:

Has anyone so far made any claims as to how many 7740Xs will be sold? I don't see how that's relevant to the discussion.

Idk/IDGAF

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

Mice: Logitech G Pro X Superlight (main), Logitech G Pro Wireless, Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402

1 minute ago, SSL said:

It has been echoed on LTT for some time now.  You're coming in on the tail end of a conversation and really getting yourself work up about it.  Hence someone's joke about a hug.  

It'll be okay bud.  :D

2 minutes ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

Idk/IDGAF

I can tell. ;)

It has been echoed on LTT for some time now.  You're coming in on the tail end of a conversation and really getting yourself work up about it.  Hence someone's joke about a hug.  

It'll be okay bud.  :D

I'm fine. You're not familiar with my posting style, so it probably seems like I'm getting myself "work up" when I really have no horse in this race.

1 minute ago, SSL said:

I'm fine. You're not familiar with my posting style, so it probably seems like I'm getting myself "work up" when I really have no horse in this race.

Makes sense.

I'll have to get with the program and get caught up on your posting style. :)

Makes sense.

I'll have to get with the program and get caught up on your posting style. :)

Don't bother, it's mostly garbage.

2 minutes ago, SSL said:

I really have no horse in this race.

Good thing too, it's a Nascar race.

Stupid and a series of left turns.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

Lmfao. Like I'm going to buy a $200+ mobo and a fucking $330++ CPU so I can show off to my friends that I can OC on the x299 platform! Intel has lost their damn minds. Anyone with a brain wouldn't buy this garbage

Just now, Fonzie92 said:

Lmfao. Like I'm going to buy a $200+ mobo and a fucking $330++ CPU so I can show off to my friends that I can OC on the x299 platform! Intel has lost their damn minds. Anyone with a brain wouldn't buy this garbage

@SSL Yep, that's what I was talking about :P

1 minute ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

@SSL Yep, that's what I was talking about :P

Give me one reason why I should upgrade to an 7740x when I have a perfectly OC'd 7700k at 4.5ghz?

Just now, Fonzie92 said:

Give me one reason why I should upgrade to an 7740x when I have a perfectly OC'd 7700k at 4.5ghz?

Sure is a good thing that the 7740X isn't made to be an upgrade over the 7700K then.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

Just now, Fonzie92 said:

I've got a perfectly good 7700k overclocked to 5.3 GHz, but I'm still picking up a 7740X along with the 7900X at release.

I won't bother giving you a good reason.  That's your job.  

Just now, Fonzie92 said:

1. I didn't say that you should upgrade
  2. (4.5GHz isn't really an overclock for the 7700K)
  3. 36 minutes ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

Intel will probably sell more 7740Xs than we are anticipating ;)

Just now, Drak3 said:

Sure is a good thing that the 7740X isn't made to be an upgrade over the 7700K then.

Yeah because someone is going to buy a $200 mobo + $330 CPU when you can get the i7 7700k for less $269 and a $100 mobo. Nice logic.

Just now, Fonzie92 said:

i7 7700k for less $269

Where?

1 minute ago, done12many2 said:

I've got a perfectly good 7700k overclocked to 5.3 GHz, but I'm still picking up a 7740X along with the 7900X at release.

I won't bother giving you a good reason.  That's your job.  

"What is your reason"

"I won't bother giving you a good reason"

Then why reply to me?

Just now, Fonzie92 said:

Yeah because someone is going to buy a $200 mobo + $330 CPU when you can get the i7 7700k for less $269 and a $100 mobo. Nice logic.

Clearly the 7740X is not for you.  Thanks for sharing.  

Just now, PCGuy_5960 said:

Where?

refresh /r/buildapcsales every week they occasionally pop up