7900X reviewed!

PCGuy_5960
Just now, done12many2 said:

Because if people don't look at the actual numbers in your cropping, the bars give a different perception.  A glance over, which most of us do would result in a higher impression of the OC'd 1700.  

Showing the entire chart as I did, shows everything scaled properly.  

Not really all you showed was that the 7700k was still best and took up more of the page. I showed that a 1700 OC'd next to a 7820X OC'd. To compare the numbers on 2 8 core processors directly. Showing more or less of the graph doesn't change the results so I'm not sure of the relevance. What I showed and the %s are still accurate.

6 minutes ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

The results are VERY impressive, but:

1. The cost is almost double (If you compare the 7820X to the 1700, the 7800X to the 1600)
  2. Thermals are just bad
  3. Motherboards are EXTREMELY expensive

I was definitely going to get a 7820X, but those 3 things make me want to go Ryzen.....

1. After CPU and mobo and cooler its triple

2. Yep :( (sorry the fact that a delid is required on HEDT disgusts me, just solder it damn it)

3. Yep yep

1 minute ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

1. The cost is almost double (If you compare the 7820X to the 1700, the 7800X to the 1600)
  2. Thermals are just bad

I was definitely going to get a 7820X, but those 3 things make me want to go Ryzen.....

ya it is hard to argue with this.

https://www.pcper.com/reviews/Processors/Intel-Core-i9-7900X-10-core-Skylake-X-Processor-Review/Power-Perf-Dollar-Conclusi

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

Just now, tom_w141 said:

Not really all you showed was that the 7700k was still best and took up more of the page. I showed that a 1700 OC'd next to a 7820X OC'd. To compare the numbers on 2 8 core processors directly. Showing more or less of the graph doesn't change the results so I'm not sure of the relevance. What I showed and the %s are still accurate.

Okay, but nice crop work still.  xD

so after reading the reviews... i can say this... the 7900x 35% faster... the 7820x is 20% faster..... so... is that it?...only that much? ...i mean we are comparing... hedt vs mainstream..... for double the price?.... plus the heat output...plus the power consumption?......not to mention the gaming performance.... lol... ryzen is still damn good option ... i would never thought i would say that after all the hype that came with skylake X

Intel Core i7 7800x @ 5.0 Ghz with 1.305 volts (really good chip), Mesh OC @ 3.3 Ghz, Fractal Design Celsius S36, Asrock X299 Killer SLI/ac, 16 GB Adata XPG Z1 OCed to  3600 Mhz , Aorus  RX 580 XTR 8G, Samsung 950 evo, Win 10 Home - loving it :D

Had a Ryzen before ... but  a bad bios flash killed it :(

MSI GT72S Dominator Pro G - i7 6820HK, 980m SLI, Gsync, 1080p, 16 GB RAM, 2x128 GB SSD + 1TB HDD, Win 10 home

7 minutes ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

2. Thermals are just bad

Apparently there's rumours of a new a Ryzen stepping with improvements, and there are the improved motherboards with the B350's matching the Crosshair 6. So there's that to look forward to.

https://www.techpowerup.com/234476/amd-readies-b2-stepping-of-the-ryzen-summit-ridge-silicon

5950X | NH D15S | 64GB 3200Mhz | RTX 3090 | ASUS PG348Q+MG278Q

Okay, but nice crop work still.  xD

I honestly wasn't trying to hide anything it just made them easier to lay side by side (for example 1800X and 1700 results are identical so removing the 1800X just removes clutter). Like I said numbers/%s are still the same between the 2 and just as valid. Also they weren't technically "cropped" :P they are 2 separate images taken using snipping tool.

2 minutes ago, Valentyn said:

Apparently there's rumours of a new a Ryzen stepping with improvements, and there are the improved motherboards with three B350 matching the Crosshair. So there's that to look forward to.

Which B350 motherboards? o.O

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

Mice: Logitech G Pro X Superlight (main), Logitech G Pro Wireless, Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402

Just now, tom_w141 said:

I honestly wasn't trying to hide anything it just made them easier to lay side by side (for example 1800X and 1700 results are identical so removing the 1800X just removes clutter). Like I said numbers/%s are still the same between the 2 and just as valid. Also they weren't technically "cropped" :P they are 2 separate images taken using snipping tool.

No worries, bud.  I just wanted to point out that skewing the starting points portrays a completely different thing when glanced over which is what most of us do. 

Instead of bitching, I should offer a solution.  Easy fix.  

1.JPG

2.JPG

1 minute ago, done12many2 said:

No worries, bud.  I just wanted to point out that skewing the starting points portrays a completely different thing when glanced over which is what most of us do. 

1.JPG

2.JPG

me and my monkey brain prefer to see it like this.

2 minutes ago, done12many2 said:

1.JPG

2.JPG

*scratches head* Am I missing something? That's what I did? xD (genuine confusion). All I did extra was calculate the %s between these numbers.

Just now, The Benjamins said:

me and my monkey brain prefer to see it like this.

Me too.  My brain sucks at attention to detail.  Every watch brain games?  lol

Just now, PCGuy_5960 said:

Which B350 motherboards? o.O

The new Asus Strix B350 one. I'm interested to see how that matches up against a new 370 Strix that's also coming. Since B350's weakness is still memory OC, but compared to the current Corsshair 6, its looks really good.

https://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/2017/06/02/asus-rog-strix-b350-f-gaming-review/1

Just now, Taf the Ghost said:

Those Skylake cores are thirsty. 

That's not really a problem, I just wish that the CPUs were soldered :/

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

Mice: Logitech G Pro X Superlight (main), Logitech G Pro Wireless, Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402

1 minute ago, Taf the Ghost said:

almost 40W more then the last 10c so it looks like a lot of the gains was a trade off for power efficiency. 

1 minute ago, tom_w141 said:

*scratches head* Am I missing something? That's what I did? xD (genuine confusion). All I did extra was calculate the %s between these numbers.

Nope.  That's not what you did, but I do understand.  Like I said, no worries.

32 minutes ago, tom_w141 said:

Meh is all  I can say tbh for a platform costing triple. Taken from TTL review gaming page (with latest BIOS)

Note the big red bar is a gears of war 4 render and is probably only included to give the 7820X 1 big bar.

That's 4.97%, 12.9%, 23.95% (Render) and 2.20% respectively for a 300% price premium (I know these CPUs aren't just for gaming but we all do it) 

7820X Gaming.PNG

1700 Gaming.PNG

When you cropped a smaller area with the snipping tool resulting in the AMD graph enlarging and you also misaligned the starting points.  Slight things like that alter the perception of the graph.  

1.JPG

2.JPG

10 minutes ago, The Benjamins said:

Jesus that's what my system reads out from the UPS when I'm folding or mining with a 1070 and a 550 TI (don't ask about the 550TI found it in a box in my room and I ploped it in the system to see if it was still working.)

CPU: Intel i7 7700K | GPU: ROG Strix GTX 1080Ti | PSU: Seasonic X-1250 (faulty) | Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB 3200Mhz 16GB | OS Drive: Western Digital Black NVMe 250GB | Game Drive(s): Samsung 970 Evo 500GB, Hitachi 7K3000 3TB 3.5" | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z270x Gaming 7 | Case: Fractal Design Define S (No Window and modded front Panel) | Monitor(s): Dell S2716DG G-Sync 144Hz, Acer R240HY 60Hz (Dead) | Keyboard: G.SKILL RIPJAWS KM780R MX | Mouse: Steelseries Sensei 310 (Striked out parts are sold or dead, awaiting zen2 parts)

1 minute ago, The Benjamins said:

almost 40W more then the last 10c so it looks like a lot of the gains was a trade off for power efficiency. 

Looks like Intel are at the end of what they can really squeeze out of 14nm.  10nm really can't come soon enough, expect the power and heat to drop a nice amount then.

I mean, the performance is GREAT but I'm not prepared for my CPU to run 70 degrees STOCK during gaming! Such BS! I would have NO room for overclocking.

Seriously considering Ryzen since it is SOLDERED!

CPU: Intel Core i7 7820X Cooling: Corsair Hydro Series H110i GTX Mobo: MSI X299 Gaming Pro Carbon AC RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 (3000MHz/16GB 2x8) SSD: 2x Samsung 850 Evo (250/250GB) + Samsung 850 Pro (512GB) GPU: NVidia GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FE (W/ EVGA Hybrid Kit) Case: Corsair Graphite Series 760T (Black) PSU: SeaSonic Platinum Series (860W) Monitor: Acer Predator XB241YU (165Hz / G-Sync) Fan Controller: NZXT Sentry Mix 2 Case Fans: Intake - 2x Noctua NF-A14 iPPC-3000 PWM / Radiator - 2x Noctua NF-A14 iPPC-3000 PWM / Rear Exhaust - 1x Noctua NF-F12 iPPC-3000 PWM

Nope.  That's not what you did, but I do understand.  Like I said, no worries.

When you cropped a smaller area with the snipping tool resulting in the AMD graph enlarging and you also misaligned the starting points.  Slight things like that alter the perception of the graph.  

1.JPG

2.JPG

Oh I see! That was 100% accidental sorry! Like I said small browser... Attempting stealth. Thanks for correcting. TBH I disregarded the bars entirely myself and just compared numbers.

Just now, VagabondWraith said:

I mean, the performance is GREAT but I'm not prepared for my CPU to run 70 degrees STOCK during gaming! Such BS! I would have NO room for overclocking.

Especially when you remember its 3x the price...

Though Intel brought puzzled looks when I showed them my power results, which were repeatable and verified by other reviewers and articles, it seems that the company has chosen to be ambivalent to the excessive power draw the Core i9-7900X exhibits. With matching TDP levels between both the 7900X and the 6950X, I definitely did not expect this – although it appears that Intel’s need to peak performance for the coming battle with Threadripper has precluded the company’s usual stance as a specification stickler. I don’t suppose that this will have a big impact on sales, as the buyers of $999 processors are usually more than will to sacrifice power-savings for performance. 

https://www.pcper.com/reviews/Processors/Intel-Core-i9-7900X-10-core-Skylake-X-Processor-Review/Power-Perf-Dollar-Conclusi

The Uplift of >20% on Haswell-E is pretty much all gone into being able to simply put more Power into the equation.

1 minute ago, VagabondWraith said:

Yeah, if you don't have adequate cooling, I don't blame you at all.  You do have more overhead with Intel, but you need to be prepared to take on the additional challenges with that overhead.