FX-8320 w/ Hyper 212 Evo or FX-8350 w/ wraith

So I'm doing a budget build for a friend and I'm stuck deciding what CPU to get. I'm not sure if I should get the FX-8320 with a Hyper 212 Evo or the FX-8350 with the included wraith cooler, they both cost around the same. What I'm looking for at is good cooling performance that doesn't involve it sounding like a jet engine, over performance (what would perform better, including if I overclock the 8320 to 4Ghz, keeping thermals in mind), and potential overclocking ability past 4Ghz.

neither.

PSU Nerd | PC Parts Flipper | Cable Management Guru

Helpful Links: PSU Tier List | Why not group reg? | Avoid the EVGA G3

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

Delta (Laptop) | Galaxy S21 Ultra | Pacific Spirit XT (Server)

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

Pacific Spirit XT - Server

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

1 minute ago, for7hyp3 said:

So I'm doing a budget build for a friend and I'm stuck deciding what CPU to get. I'm not sure if I should get the FX-8320 with a Hyper 212 Evo or the FX-8350 with the included wraith cooler, they both cost around the same. What I'm looking for at is good cooling performance that doesn't involve it sounding like a jet engine, over performance (what would perform better, including if I overclock the 8320 to 4Ghz, keeping thermals in mind), and potential overclocking ability past 4Ghz.

Hi 

I know that it's not the answer that you are looking for but go for Ryzen or something from Intel, FX is soooo old . 

Just now, Red Hardware said:

Hi 

I know that it's not the answer that you are looking for but go for Ryzen or something from Intel, FX is soooo old . 

I would have but I already have the motherboard plus the budget I was given was really tight and the FX was the only thing that would fit since the Ryzen 3 isn't out yet and the Ryzen 5 is out of the price range 

Just now, for7hyp3 said:

I would have but I already have the motherboard plus the budget I was given was really tight and the FX was the only thing that would fit since the Ryzen 3 isn't out yet and the Ryzen 5 is out of the price range 

8350 then.

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

4 minutes ago, for7hyp3 said:

Tell us the budget and we can help you to get something better

4 minutes ago, JDE said:

neither.

Not helpful man

Just now, for7hyp3 said:

Not helpful man

You didn't say you bought motherboard yet, this is my new response.

1 minute ago, JDE said:

8350 then.

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Delta - Laptop

1 minute ago, for7hyp3 said:

If you can't sell the mobo and you have to go with FX , then go for 8350 . The Wraith cooler is quiet and looks good but you might not be able to OC as much as you want

Just now, Red Hardware said:

Tell us the budget and we can help you to get something better

The budget was $700 CAD, and I have only ~$200 left

Just now, for7hyp3 said:

The budget was $700 CAD, and I have only ~$200 left

You bought AM3+ with that budget ?????? 

What did you buy until now ?????????

If I remember correctly, when the Wraith cooler came out, most tests put in around the 212 level. ANd people like it, so it's good for resale value :P 

Plus, if you plan to overclock an FX CPU, top-blow coolers are better other things equal (most high end coolers are not top-blow, so it's an important clarification).

10 minutes ago, Red Hardware said:

You bought AM3+ with that budget ?????? 

What did you buy until now ?????????

- 120Gb SSD

- Gtx 1060

- CXM 450 watt PSU

- MSI 970A Gaming Pro Carbon 

- Masterbox 5

-(DDR3 1600 2x8Gb and a 1Tb HDD is being reused from his old system)

I opted to go with AM3+ since I was going to reuse the RAM from his old system to cut down the cost by ~$80 for DDR4 RAM

Edited by for7hyp3

6 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

for that price id get this, faster than the fx chips in games/

https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/CgPm2R

While Iy may be faster it's still a dual core which will prevent some games that he wants to play from even launching 

3 minutes ago, for7hyp3 said:

While Iy may be faster it's still a dual core which will prevent some games that he wants to play from even launching 

not it won't as its has smt. 

What else do you have for this build.

1 minute ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

not it won't as its has smt. 

What else do you have for this build.

The game will only launch on a true 4 core or more, they don't work with smt

Just now, for7hyp3 said:

The game will only launch on a true 4 core or more, they don't work with smt

what games.

Programs can't tell the difference between 4 real cores and smt threads.

Just now, Electronics Wizardy said:

what games.

Programs can't tell the difference between 4 real cores and smt threads.

Far Cry 4 was one that he really wants to play

Just now, for7hyp3 said:

Far Cry 4 was one that he really wants to play

far cry 4 will run fine on the pentium, and better than the fx chips.

Just now, Electronics Wizardy said:

far cry 4 will run fine on the pentium, and better than the fx chips.

Far Cry 4 won't run on dual core chips even if they have HT, and the software fix that allowed you to use dual cores has been taken down on every site I've looked at