Scrapyard Wars Season 5 *Updated w/ Ep4 FINALE*

12 hours ago, Implosion said:

Is the next episode on Floatplane?

Yep : 

With them being the "away" team, they sure don't seem very good at finding hardware. There HAS to be hardware in LA, there are freaking 13 million people in the LA metro area!

On 20. 05. 2017. at 9:41 PM, LinusTech said:

Linus and Luke team up against Paul (Awesome Hardware) and Kyle (BitWit) to see who can build the best gaming rig for $500!

Thanks to Freshbooks and Ifixit for sponsoring Scrapyard Wars!

Ifixit | Tools and Guides: Use coupon code WARS to save $5 off a purchase of $10 or more at https://www.ifixit.com/linus

FreshBooks | Cloud Accounting Software: Start your 30 day free trial at http://www.freshbooks.com/scrapyardwars

OMFG IT IS BACK ?!

HOLY SHIT SO HYPED :D

My Rig : https://pcpartpicker.com/list/MTBd2R

My VM Server : https://pcpartpicker.com/list/rPR6gL

My Backup Server : https://pcpartpicker.com/list/cRQYYr

My Storage Server : https://pcpartpicker.com/list/tzzR9W

My Router : https://pcpartpicker.com/list/bMPN4C

My Laptop : Lenovo Z575 with 6 GB RAM (1866 MHz), Crucial MX300 525 GB & Western Digital 2 TB (Removed optical drive)

Ok, time for a name change. Scrap can stay... yard, i didnt see them in yards but hey if they spent time in peeps yards when cameras stoppes then ok. But wars... this hardly seems warlike, where are the grenades... machine guns, i know it.. Linus could "drop" some chemicals (which wouldnt be that far of a stretch) leading to CHEMICAL WARFARE!!!!!!

As much as I would like to watch SYW Ep 2, Doctor Who is on in 2 minutes so it'll have to wait

Laptop: HP Pavilion 15 'Gaming' - Intel Core i7 6700HQ - 16GB RAM - 480GB SSD - NVIDIA GeForce 950M 4GB - Half Decent 15.6" 1920x1080 Display

Desktop: Currently non existent

Phones: Bush Windows Phone (Yes, that's Argos' own brand) - Samsung Galaxy S4 (Currently just an alarm clock) - 2 x Vodafone Smart Ultra 6 Silver

me rn: i7 3770 vs i5 4690k

inb4 Michael gets fired.

Spoiler

Also, somewhat similar systems. Both 980 Ti's and now it's just i7 vs i5..

This series is also somewhat making me want to ghetto together a system.. I should visit some thrift shops again!

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

Still the best SW by far. 

زندگی از چراغ

Intel Core i7 7800X 6C/12T (4.5GHz), Corsair H150i Pro RGB (360mm), Asus Prime X299-A, Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4X4GB & 2X8GB 3000MHz DDR4), MSI GeForce GTX 1070 Gaming X 8G (2.113GHz core & 9.104GHz memory), 1 Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB NVMe M.2, 1 Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD, 1 Samsung 850 Evo 500GB SSD, 1 WD Red 1TB mechanical drive, Corsair RM750X 80+ Gold fully modular PSU, Corsair Obsidian 750D full tower case, Corsair Glaive RGB mouse, Corsair K70 RGB MK.2 (Cherry MX Red) keyboard, Asus VN247HA (1920x1080 60Hz 16:9), Audio Technica ATH-M20x headphones & Windows 10 Home 64 bit. 

The time Linus replied to me on one of my threads: 

1 hour ago, Minibois said:

inb4 Michael gets fired.

Hide contents

Also, somewhat similar systems. Both 980 Ti's and now it's just i7 vs i5..

This series is also somewhat making me want to ghetto together a system.. I should visit some thrift shops again!

I'm honestly surprised that the editors left his 5 finger discount scheme in the vid.  I just stopped the vid now at that point in order to come here and comment about it.

Ghetto is the only way to build.  Its like overclocking cash-money.  Buying new top of the line off the shelf PC parts is like buying sports cars to get the punani.

Anyhoo, back to da show.

My idea for Season 6: Start with $500 like normal. But, the computer parts that you buy (could spend all of $500 it on a 1080ti that you sell for $700), you have to resell them for a profit. And, with only that profit (the $700), buy Scrapyard Wars parts to build the computer.

Ensure a job for life: https://github.com/Droogans/unmaintainable-code

Actual comment I found in legacy code: // WARNING! SQL injection here!

I´d have like this way more if they´ve had a week or so, not just few days like this.

Spoiler alert: Linus and Luke were never going to Palo Alto. They were never considering buying a plane ticket because they knew from the start that Michael knew who they were and would totally hook them up. Blatant cheating abounds. Kyle and Paul don't care because they are the two most chill dudes on YouTube, despite Kyle's constant chipmunk on crack demeanor, and also because Linus and Luke don't know that half of Awesome Hardware's are coming from Newegg. No, not purchased on Newegg, like, straight from Newegg, where their bros are like, "You need a 980 Ti? Hellz yeah we got you, bro!".

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

5 hours ago, LinusTechTipsFanFromDarlo said:

Still the best SW by far. 

I agree, but I miss Yoda a little bit :( .

2 hours ago, aisle9 said:

Spoiler alert: Linus and Luke were never going to Palo Alto. They were never considering buying a plane ticket because they knew from the start that Michael knew who they were and would totally hook them up. Blatant cheating abounds. Kyle and Paul don't care because they are the two most chill dudes on YouTube, despite Kyle's constant chipmunk on crack demeanor, and also because Linus and Luke don't know that half of Awesome Hardware's are coming from Newegg. No, not purchased on Newegg, like, straight from Newegg, where their bros are like, "You need a 980 Ti? Hellz yeah we got you, bro!".

I think they were potentially going to go to Palo Alto, but then they got the call from Michael. Then once he said he knew them, obviously they cut the tape and Linus and Luke told him to STFU and play dumb and he would get to be in the video.

At that point they had no other options so they had to get something for the remaining episodes to be somewhat interesting. 

It's surprising how screwed they got with not knowing LA geography. I get like not knowing how far Hollywood might be from Irvine or something, but not realizing Palo Alto was 6 hours away is a big oversight.

Nobody has mentioned this... but some one has to say it...  HOW DO WE AVOID SPOILERS ON THE LAST EPISODE??

I'd give every floatplaner the benefit of the doubt that they won't spoil... but it's the internet.. some one is bound to highjack youtube's comment section and spoil, or somewhere else in the forum.....

I think the best would be to do a simultaneous release after half the usual wait time and have EVERYONE JOIN IN THE CELEBRATION OF THE WINNERS!!

Spoiler

Although a simultaneous may defeat the purpose of float plane club in the eyes of some.. I think having the delayed reaction to the grand finale would be pretty wierd and dumb and actually anticlimatic if a few know and the rest wait.... IDK... thoughts?

Personal Rig:

[UPGRADE]

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5900X    Mb: Gigabyte X570 Gaming X    RAM: 2x16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance Pro    GPU: Gigabyte NVIDIA RTX 3070    Case: Corsair 400D    Storage: INTEL SSDSCKJW120H6 M.2 120GB    PSU: Antec 850W 80+ Gold    Display(s): GAOO, 现代e窗, Samsung 4K TV

Cooling: Noctua NH-D15    Operating System(s): Windows 10 / Arch Linux / Garuda

[OLD]

CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-6500 @ 3.2 GHz    Mb: Gigabyte Z170X-Gaming 3    RAM: 2x4GB DDR4 GSKILL RIPJAWS 4    GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960    Case: Aerocool PSG V2X Advance    Storage: INTEL SSDSCKJW120H6 M.2 120GB    PSU: EVGA 500W 80+ Bronce    Display(s): Samsung LS19B150

Cooling: Aerocool Shark White    Operating System(s): Windows 10 / Arch Linux / OpenSUSE

So Linus' last stop in episode 2 the guy recognized him.

Does somebody know how many episodes does this series have?

1 hour ago, yathis said:

So Linus' last stop in episode 2 the guy recognized him.

Honestly if it's the way it was edited, i would consider it fair.

The guy seems to me like he already agreed to give him SOME configuration for 200$ or what he asked, so Linus showing up in person wouldn't have changed the deal.

Maybe the guy was more flexible once he realized who the guys are and willing to accept switching processors between systems or allowing the guys in the back to work on computers, something that maybe you wouldn't do with some nobody from the street (for safety reasons, or even let's say so you don't get sued if the moron from the street tries to pull down a case and it falls on his head injuring him)

This scrapyard wars could have been the perfect opportunity to use some of the new guys at LTT ... have Linus and Luke stay at base and do the deals and send "apprentices" in the field to pick stuff up (faces nobody knows). Yeah, you lose a bit by not being able to negociate on the spot but even that could have been alleviated by skype calls or whatever, on the spot.

Episode 3 is on Floatplane people, come on, sign up!! :D 

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

4 hours ago, KrZaj said:

Does somebody know how many episodes does this series have?

Edzel said 4 episodes on the WAN show.

Sent from my Casio fx-991ES

8 hours ago, jeetsagar said:

Edzel said 4 episodes on the WAN show.

Linus is milking it hard, like I keep saying....and its been proven, and no offense......but....... Linus is a sellout!

13 hours ago, mariushm said:

Honestly if it's the way it was edited, i would consider it fair.

The guy seems to me like he already agreed to give him SOME configuration for 200$ or what he asked, so Linus showing up in person wouldn't have changed the deal.

Maybe the guy was more flexible once he realized who the guys are and willing to accept switching processors between systems or allowing the guys in the back to work on computers, something that maybe you wouldn't do with some nobody from the street (for safety reasons, or even let's say so you don't get sued if the moron from the street tries to pull down a case and it falls on his head injuring him)

This scrapyard wars could have been the perfect opportunity to use some of the new guys at LTT ... have Linus and Luke stay at base and do the deals and send "apprentices" in the field to pick stuff up (faces nobody knows). Yeah, you lose a bit by not being able to negociate on the spot but even that could have been alleviated by skype calls or whatever, on the spot.

and IF they had gone with the original deal it would have been fine, the second he started changing the combination of parts to parts with different pricing and negotiating those parts cheaper is when it crossed the line into his obligatory cheating stage of Scrapyard Wars (he cheats every time so something like this was to be expected).