Scrapyard Wars Season 5 *Updated w/ Ep4 FINALE*

@LinusTech @Slick
Now that Scrapyard Wars is over, can we have Linus and Luke vs Bob and Rob from BS Mods for Tech Showdown? Pls...

Come on guys... There was no talk of prices/specs at the end of the video? Also, what was the deal with the benchmarking scenario? No test settings appeared to be validated (as shown with tomb raider). Correct me if I'm wrong, but couldn't either team have easily cheated by lowering the settings to get a tad higher fps in gaming benchmarks? 

This was easily the most polished and entertaining scrapyard wars to watch, but I was just bummed at the end. There was so much cheating/rule bending and fighting for the win/loss rather than having fun at the end. :(

About the last episode I think that everything was called for from the RGB to the ending after the outro was done well, although I have a gripe about why they weren't just straightforward about it.

About the whole series I think that Linus played it fairly since he tried to fool the callers to making sure the deals were already at their lowest before the status of youtube came in, the RGB group did what they could the 5 from the 10 for RGB was good but givin`g ed the money is sorta using your status as a Youtuber in my opinion. And the deals were all legit.

As for the sellers seriously? just list the products when you got them not for when Linus and Luke are in the area. 2 days listing 3 days in for a drive that is fishy.

To the Editor please do a better job next time blur out CSS leave out the intro to CSS their inbox is filled with spam already and probably has at least 5 bot callers on it.

feels like a rushed ending. There's should been a rundown for each system not only for Jay but also for the viewers as well.  The benchmarks should've been done live at Jay's studio imo for better transparency. 

I think it's ironic that Linus got all salty about them cheating when he and Luke only managed to get the parts they had because the sellers knew who they were.  As I said in a previous post, there needs to be a rule where Linus, Luke, or any participant who's a youtuber, cannot contact the seller directly to avoid getting deals that a normal person wouldn't have been able to get.

The finale was disappointing, the episodes up to it I really enjoyed; but it all ended in a huge anticlimax.

Didn't like the finale, not the results themselves but how it was organised.

I have the same gripes as with the previous season, rushed final with no mentioning(and by mentioning I mean having a graph or a bar on the screen) of the final specs of the systems(we can't be expected to remember the final specs of each system with so much changing during the episodes and the episodes being a week apart). This time at least you showed properly how each system looks like in terms of aesthetics(in previous season there was barely any camera shots focusing on the 2 systems or they were bad in a case that you can't see how the PC looked). I just hope you use more tables/graphs/bar and other graphic interface/design instruments to display more information during the show and especially the final(especially the PCs specs). As it is, the show is too auditory in my opinion, make it so there is more information presented visually/graphically. I also disagree with you making the benchmark being part of the building phase and having a deadline for them. It doesn't make sense errors in benchmarking(like forgetting to turn off sync or using different settings) to affect the scoring - just because someone forgot to turn v-sync off, doesn't suddenly magically change the video card into a slower one. Which is why the benchmarks should be done after the deadline is reached so everything can be tested thoroughly. Anyway, everything else was fine though(final aside, everything was nicely shot and edited, also 4 episodes spaced a week apart seem perfect even if they're long) and still it was a good season.

I give the season 7/10 :) 

NO! It's art, it's colonialism and you'll never get it!

=( didn't like the way judging was presented...

I mean Jay just appeared out of blue, could even hear his voice starting off camera...

Maybe there should be some kind of introduction or something?

And it's always more fun to have the benchmarks run while judging.

Can we have you compete against Tiny Tom Logan next time?

CPU: Intel i7 5820K @ 4.20 GHz | MotherboardMSI X99S SLI PLUS | RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 @ 2666MHz | GPU: Sapphire R9 Fury (x2 CrossFire)
Storage: Samsung 950Pro 512GB // OCZ Vector150 240GB // Seagate 1TB | PSU: Seasonic 1050 Snow Silent | Case: NZXT H440 | Cooling: Nepton 240M
FireStrike // Extreme // Ultra // 8K // 16K

I feel like they should have added another episode where they dived into the system like as an added bonus and run the benchmarks again together instead of having that whole after the outro thing

15 hours ago, Steve0Kneve0 said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but couldn't either team have easily cheated by lowering the settings to get a tad higher fps in gaming benchmarks? 

no, they couldn't, because they were reading the scores from their phones....

wait... that's the complete opposite of what I said - I mean, YEAH !!!

as a matter of fact I don't even know what kind of CPU either of the teams used... I think Linux had dual Xeon's or something?

what clocks were they both running?

CPU: Intel i7 5820K @ 4.20 GHz | MotherboardMSI X99S SLI PLUS | RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 @ 2666MHz | GPU: Sapphire R9 Fury (x2 CrossFire)
Storage: Samsung 950Pro 512GB // OCZ Vector150 240GB // Seagate 1TB | PSU: Seasonic 1050 Snow Silent | Case: NZXT H440 | Cooling: Nepton 240M

26 minutes ago, DXMember said:

as a matter of fact I don't even know what kind of CPU either of the teams used... I think Linux had dual Xeon's or something?

what clocks were they both running?

IIRC

Spoiler

Tean LnL had a locked 3770, 8gb ram watercooled 980ti and an SSD,  psu and hdd

Team PnK had an unlocked 4690K (hence why they won the cpu benchmarks) dont know the clock speeds though, also 8gb ram, Zotac 980ti and an ssd, three dead hard drives and a external hdd, also random psu

They WERE going to use a dual xeon build, but that was the guy that they were almost going to fly out to see, before they found the PC scrapyard where they pick and chose parts from many systems

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

I feel like I'm taking crazy pills reading all these comments about LTT abusing their fame, when Paul and Kyle blatantly abused their status. Direct quote from episode 2 (26:57):

"You know how I kept sweetning the pot. I was like: You will be rewarded if you embark on this leap of faith doing business with me. You'll have a reward or something. And I show up and am like 'Alright, do you know who Linus Tech Tips is?' and he's like 'No...'. And I'm like, so... and I had to explain him for like five minutes like scrambling, like 'Oh my gosh, what if he doesn't want to do it now.' And I was like 'He's got 4 million subscribers and I'm like gonna shout out your name, do you have a website' and he's like 'No...', and I was like 'Do you have a name, I can say your name' and he's like 'Evan', and I'm like 'Ok, Evan, great!' and he's like 'So wait, that's the reward you were talking about?' and I'm like 'Yeah...'."

It may or may not be that LTT got better deals because of their Youtube fame, but they clearly did their due diligence, while Paul and Kyle deliberately tried to use exposure and free advertisement to sweeten a deal.

39 minutes ago, TVwazhere said:

IIRC

Hide contents

Tean LnL had a locked 3770, 8gb ram watercooled 980ti and an SSD,  psu and hdd

Team PnK had an unlocked 4690K (hence why they won the cpu benchmarks) dont know the clock speeds though, also 8gb ram, Zotac 980ti and an ssd, three dead hard drives and a external hdd, also random psu

They WERE going to use a dual xeon build, but that was the guy that they were almost going to fly out to see, before they found the PC scrapyard where they pick and chose parts from many systems

was Paul running that thing at 6GHz to beat Linux's CPU in cinebench?

5 minutes ago, DXMember said:

was Paul running that thing at 6GHz to beat Linux's CPU in cinebench?

You'd think a locked quad core with hype threading would beat an unlocked quad core....

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

3 minutes ago, TVwazhere said:

You'd think a locked quad core with hype threading would beat an unlocked quad core....

hmmm...

seems like it's not that far fetched:

http://hwbot.org/submission/2662752_trivial_pan_pan_cinebench___r15_core_i7_3770_670_cb

http://hwbot.org/submission/3442400_nero10578_cinebench___r15_core_i5_4690k_672_cb

still think they should do benchmarks live with the jury and post it on HWBot, for all we know they could've been running anything or not running at all

10 minutes ago, DXMember said:

hmmm...

seems like it's not that far fetched:

http://hwbot.org/submission/2662752_trivial_pan_pan_cinebench___r15_core_i7_3770_670_cb

http://hwbot.org/submission/3442400_nero10578_cinebench___r15_core_i5_4690k_672_cb

still think they should do benchmarks live with the jury and post it on HWBot, for all we know they could've been running anything or not running at all

I think linus's actually hit 671, and Paul's definitely hit 672 as well so I think these are accurate. It's still kinda surprising. 

You need Barnacules nerdgasm and JayTwoCents

I think it needs to be bumped to $700.

and i think you should allow more time - an extra day or two ( i like that idea suggested above )

and NOT have more videos than in this season. seemed to be a good spot to be (5).

the length of the vids was good but could be extended a few more minutes each just to get more flow of information. a little "crammed" as suggested above.

can't wait for the next one.

woops....... the xmas lights thing would have been better than that rgb bling. you could buy a storage locker full for a dollar.

Great season! but...I was watching for it all season...where was the fist fight that Kyle mentioned in the trailer?

My Build, "Helios"

CPU: 5950x with Noctua NH-D15

GPU: MSI 2080ti

Case: BE QUIET! Dark Base 900 Pro

Storage: Samsung 970  pro 500gb (boot drive), unknown 2tb Seagate drive, 4tb WD Black drive

PSU: Corsair HX1000i

RAM: (4x8) Trident Z RGB

Remote PC Starter Kit

Anyone else a bit bleak that the "Scrapyard" computer been more powerful than their Pc's they have at home. Made me look at my Redstone with some sadness :(

otherwise It was good. I found ep1 felt like they were forcing in the ifixIt kit and the Accounting thing, but hey they pay the bills and thats how linus content is going. 

from the other episodes onwards I did enjoy it. Lots of cheating though and sorry guys but "RGB" in computers does not mean Red Blue Green, it means a light source of some kind that can change colors. that did annoy me somewhat with the stupid tape and flowers idea. 

Redstone:
i7-4770 / Z97 / GTX 980 / Corsair 16GB  / H90 / 400C / Antec EDGE / Neutron GTX240 / Intel 240Gb / WD 2TB / BenQ XL24

Obsidian:

MSI GE60 2PE i7-4700HQ / 860M / 12GB / WE 1TB / m.Sata 256gb/Elagto USB HD Capture Card

Razer Deathadder Chroma / Razer Blackwidow TE Chroma / Kingston Cloud2's / Sennheiser 429 / Logitech Z333

8 hours ago, Kirsham said:

I feel like I'm taking crazy pills reading all these comments about LTT abusing their fame, when Paul and Kyle blatantly abused their status. Direct quote from episode 2 (26:57):

"You know how I kept sweetning the pot. I was like: You will be rewarded if you embark on this leap of faith doing business with me. You'll have a reward or something. And I show up and am like 'Alright, do you know who Linus Tech Tips is?' and he's like 'No...'. And I'm like, so... and I had to explain him for like five minutes like scrambling, like 'Oh my gosh, what if he doesn't want to do it now.' And I was like 'He's got 4 million subscribers and I'm like gonna shout out your name, do you have a website' and he's like 'No...', and I was like 'Do you have a name, I can say your name' and he's like 'Evan', and I'm like 'Ok, Evan, great!' and he's like 'So wait, that's the reward you were talking about?' and I'm like 'Yeah...'."

It may or may not be that LTT got better deals because of their Youtube fame, but they clearly did their due diligence, while Paul and Kyle deliberately tried to use exposure and free advertisement to sweeten a deal.

Yeah, I had never heard of Paul or Kyle before, but I was disappointed in them. This is my first Scrapyard Wars and I hope the future competitions are better.

Can anyone give a quick explanation how exactly the scores are calculated? I dont really understand the math done there

Who cheated?

L-man put out a new vid

Quote me so I can get the info

• 1 month later...

Linus! You should make scrapyard wars a/the contest for your subscribers. That would be awesome to watch!

contestants should be searching/buying/building alone. no more "teams".

• 2 years later...

Loved it, but the cheating on both sides was atrocious. I highly suggest you eliminate shopping offline as a source, because cheating will always occur. I mean seriously, a used computer shop guy ANYWHERE who doesn't know Linus? How about this. Both teams have a fixed budget and you have to buy it off newegg. Level playing field if your both in Canayda. Then the numbers are going to be interesting!