Cybenetics - a new PSU efficiency certification program emerges

5 hours ago, zMeul said:

they have a few test certifications, but they don't specify what models were tested

Actually they do, if you click on the blue number in the chart it'll take you to a new page that shows all the power supplies tested from company X that met certification requirements Y.  

Here's the page you're taken to when you click on Certification ETA B x Corsair.  

Spoiler

69AsVfc.png?1

Alternatively you can just click on the manufacturer name at the left side of the chart and it shows all of the power supplies that have been tested for that manufacturer on one page.

Here's the page you're taken to when you click on Corsair. 

Spoiler

oaXqyBj.png

Here's the page it takes you to when you click on the Graphic Chart button, not sure how useful it is to view everything at once since wattage makes everything else disappear but since they have toggles I guess it's fine.

Spoiler

Y3SMXWx.png

Although I don't understand what the author of the press release meant by 

Seasonic was glad to jump on board to assess the performance of their PRIME units to see how they fare against the new Cybenetics test parameters......which without exception have demonstrated that they have passed the highest level of certifications with flying colors.

since not a single power supply, regardless of brand, has passed the highest level of certifications, ETA A+.  

Maybe they're referring to the LAMBDA A++ rating , which the 3 Seasonic PRIME 80+ Titanium units all achieve.  

It's important to note that when they say PRIME units they later clarify that they're referring to the flagship Titanium spec ones (SSR-xxxTD), not the 80+ gold PRIME units (SSR-xxxGD.

EDIT:

Looked through their other press releases and they specifically talked about having retested the PRIME units in their new anechoic chamber where they recorded even lower noise levels, so it seems highly likely they were talking about the LAMBDA noise rating and not the ETA efficiency rating.

THE FIRST PSU HAS BEEN CERTIFIED!

The first PSU that Cybenetics certified is a Seasonic Prime 650 W (SSR-650TD), which achieved an A (92.269%) ETA rating and an A++ (18.46 dB[A]) LAMBDA rating. 

Update (4/7/2017): We conducted again the noise measurements using our new hemi-anechoic chamber and the output noise was even lower, at 15.93 dB(A) overall. Nonetheless, the unit retains its LAMBDA rating since there isn't a higher one (for now at least).  

Since then they've tested two units with lower output noise, 15.25 dB(A) by an AeroCool unit which I can't find anywhere (ACP-650FP7) and 0.00 dB(A) by Silverstone's passive NightJar (NJ520).

By the way, while looking for the Aerocool unit I found an easter egg. BOW BEFORE YOUR 90+ OVERLORDS! Really shady way of dressing up what would otherwise be an 80+ gold unit to make it look as if it's better than everything else currently on the market.

Linus Sebastian said:

The stand is indeed made of metal but I wouldn't drive my car over a bridge made of it.

https://youtu.be/X5YXWqhL9ik?t=552

This is great, Teclab is trying to fight 80 plus for a long time (Teclab is a brazilian group, very professional), and they are indeed participating actively in this.

80 plus has to die, it is such a shitty certification. I made a topic about it, but it was moved from general discussion to PSUs (I dont know why) and nobody cared. I hope this changes now, I would like to be able to trust PSUs with this certification.

Ultra is stupid. ALWAYS.

10 minutes ago, mvitkun said:

Actually they do, if you click on the blue number in the chart it'll take you to a new page that shows all the power supplies tested from that company that met the certification requirements.  

Here's the page you're taken to when you click on the Certification ETA B x Corsair.  

Although I don't understand what Techpowerup meant by 

since not a single power supply meets the highest level of certifications, ETA A+; am I just durping or does that seem weird to everyone else?

Look at the requirements for a PSU to get A+.....it'd be the kind of PSU you'd want in a 24/7 server.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

2 hours ago, Godlygamer23 said:

I derped I meant the Earthwatts Platinum

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

5 hours ago, M.Yurizaki said:

I was stewing on that thinking you could have a PSU that passes all the certs, only for the components to die horribly a year later.

Like some cars.

EDIT: I think that's what the Lambda cert is for

lambda is for fan noise. its evident in both the article and the fact that the corsair PSUs scored A++. cuz 80+ Gold corsair PSUs doesnt turn the fan on until it reaches 48c, and even then its barely spinning.

16 minutes ago, Prysin said:

lambda is for fan noise. its evident in both the article and the fact that the corsair PSUs scored A++. cuz 80+ Gold corsair PSUs doesnt turn the fan on until it reaches 48c, and even then its barely spinning.

I wonder if they account for coil-whine. My CX850M's coil whine is actually louder than Gigabyte's old 90mm Windforce x3 cooler @ 70%.

PMSL

1 hour ago, Dabombinable said:

I wonder if they account for coil-whine. My CX850M's coil whine is actually louder than Gigabyte's old 90mm Windforce x3 cooler @ 70%.

Coil whine is a manufacturing variation defect. It's not something you can guarantee won't happen.

Lol damn, I don't think any company would want to promote a big ol "D" on their power supply. Just doesn't translate well to a unknowledgable consumer. Better get to work PSU boys! xP

- Fresher than a fruit salad.

52 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

Coil whine is a manufacturing variation defect. It's not something you can guarantee won't happen.

The coil whine in given out by the CX850M is louder than a graphics card which gets to over 40db under load.....and louder than the 140mm fan inside it when its running at 100%. I can hear it 2 rooms over with the door to mine closed

PMSL

this is better then 80+ atleast, so im all for it. 

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

7 hours ago, mvitkun said:

Actually they do, if you click on the blue number in the chart it'll take you to a new page that shows all the power supplies tested from company X that met certification requirements Y. 

yes, you're right ..

was kinda' late and I didn't check :/

I will add the models immediately to the OP

4 hours ago, Dabombinable said:

Coil whine is rarely, if ever caught on sound measurement.

Just now, Prysin said:

Due to the frequency of the sound?

PMSL

8 minutes ago, Dabombinable said:

Due to the frequency of the sound?

sorta

DB measures actual PRESSURE excerted, aka "loudness". But coil whine is annoying because the frequency of the sound is such that it distinguishes itself from all other forms of noise, thus becoming painfully obvious. We saw this with the Fury X cards. There was a 0.5db difference between SOME tests, others didnt see any difference between the fixed pump whine and not. We also saw the same with was it the 970 STRIX? or WINDFORCE? Either way, coil whine is easier to detect to the user then during canned benchmarks, which is what i bet this company would be using.  So unless they are doing a frequency spectrum analysis, which can take MANY tests to prove is coilwhine (other components can kick in and out producing false flag spikes).

56 minutes ago, Prysin said:

It's caught, it's just hard to quantify the "annoyingness" of a sound. Tom's Hardware has been doing graphs where you can at least see the coil whine. But there's no real way to put an objective number on it, just subjective evaluation of how annoying it is (or isn't).

Good it's getting better shown at least. I always wondered why there was no 90 plus certificate too.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

I didn't read through the presentation (too lazy), but what I also want to know is how does the PSU perform after having an accelerated wear test? It's nice to know that my PSU performs admirably out of the box, but how well does it perform after the equivalent of five years of wear? That is more of an indication of quality/reliability than just how well it performs fresh out of the box.

This was probably already posted but I'm following on from the retoast thread. 

Why can't someone make a rating on actual quality, like the tier lists, taking the caps etc used into account. 

PC - CPU Ryzen 5 1600 - GPU Power Color Radeon 5700XT- Motherboard Gigabyte GA-AB350 Gaming - RAM 16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB - Storage 525GB Crucial MX300 SSD + 120GB Kingston SSD   PSU Corsair CX750M - Cooling Stock - Case White NZXT S340

Peripherals - Mouse Logitech G502 Wireless - Keyboard Logitech G915 TKL  Headset Razer Kraken Pro V2's - Displays 2x Acer 24" GF246(1080p, 75hz, Freesync) Steering Wheel & Pedals Logitech G29 & Shifter

On 5/2/2017 at 6:48 PM, Misanthrope said:

Vampire power?

Reveal hidden contents

Image result for alex jones gif

Vampire power?

Vampire psu!

edible_vampire_hunter_kit_by_jasonmckitt

B1RMJ6eCMAAoLV4.png

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

3 hours ago, RKRiley said:

Why can't someone make a rating on actual quality, like the tier lists, taking the caps etc used into account. 

Because this would require the board whose doing the actual reviewing to be specialized in electrical engineering design. Top tier caps may make sense for some areas but not for others (engineering decisions ahoy!) and if you say "you must use X caps from Y brand only for super ultra high tier", well you're potentially creating an artificially high standard.

It'd be easier for someone to simply measure the outputs. However, as I mentioned before, I would like some measure of accelerated wear testing.

4 hours ago, RKRiley said:

This was probably already posted but I'm following on from the retoast thread. 

1 hour ago, M.Yurizaki said:

Because this would require the board whose doing the actual reviewing to be specialized in electrical engineering design. Top tier caps may make sense for some areas but not for others (engineering decisions ahoy!) and if you say "you must use X caps from Y brand only for super ultra high tier", well you're potentially creating an artificially high standard.

It'd be easier for someone to simply measure the outputs. However, as I mentioned before, I would like some measure of accelerated wear testing.

Also, that would assume that they don't change some components after testing (like, they run short of cap x, so they substitute cap y).  It additionally assumes that the quality of the caps are universal, and never fluctuate based on manufacturing conditions (e.g. just because this batch of caps are of exceptional quality, doesn't guarantee the next batch will be as good).

15 minutes ago, Jito463 said:

Also, that would assume that they don't change some components after testing (like, they run short of cap x, so they substitute cap y).  It additionally assumes that the quality of the caps are universal, and never fluctuate based on manufacturing conditions (e.g. just because this batch of caps are of exceptional quality, doesn't guarantee the next batch will be as good).

Well then this is a problem of any certification you can come up with.

43 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

Well then this is a problem of any certification you can come up with.

Yes and no.  So long as the parts maintain the same level of efficiency, they'd still maintain the same 80+ rating they had before.  Presumably the same with the ETA ratings from this thread, but I can't recall the specifics of what they test offhand (and I'm too lazy to go back and read it at the moment).  The same doesn't hold true if the rating is specifically based on what caps are used.

2 minutes ago, Jito463 said:

Yes and no.  So long as the parts maintain the same level of efficiency, they'd still maintain the same 80+ rating they had before.  Presumably the same with the ETA ratings from this thread, but I can't recall the specifics of what they test offhand (and I'm too lazy to go back and read it at the moment).  The same doesn't hold true if the rating is specifically based on what caps are used.

What I mean is the issue of having a test unit of that model that gets all the nice awards but sell a lesser unit or swapping out components of the same model mid-product life (which has happened). You can't prevent manufacturers from doing this unless you do post production certification and random re-certification. Although that may not guarantee it won't happen still.

2 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

What I mean is the issue of having a test unit of that model that gets all the nice awards but sell a lesser unit or swapping out components of the same model mid-product life (which has happened). You can't prevent manufacturers from doing this unless you do post production certification and random re-certification. Although that may not guarantee it won't happen still.

I agree, which is why I said "yes and no".  I was merely comparing the certifications we currently have available, as opposed to one based on the components used, like RKRiley was proposing.