Top Tech for University

2 minutes ago, Rangaman42 said:

Woooow. I was in a single room, shared bathroom and in a catered building (not worth, the food is awful but they wouldn't let first years self-cater at the time) for $350NZD a week (£187) a week, which is what my partner and I pay for a two bedroom, city centre apartment now... Uni residences are a massive rip off.

Yeah but they can make a profit on it cause people will pay it. The uni I'm going to in the last 5 years has made £1BN profit

Just now, JWKelly99 said:

Yeah but they can make a profit on it cause people will pay it. The uni I'm going to in the last 5 years has made £1BN profit

It's pretty ridiculous... They're not meant to be profitable businesses, but they sure act like it.

Laptop: Asus GA502DU

RAM: 16GB DDR4 | CPU: Ryzen 3750H | GPU: GTX 1660ti

1 minute ago, Damascus said:

Maybe but it looks like you have to drill a hole in your laptop or something. don't get how it connects to the laptop

Just now, Rangaman42 said:

It's pretty ridiculous... They're not meant to be profitable businesses, but they sure act like it.

Yeah they do. at least you didn't get screwed over. cause of BREXIT my uni is allowed to increase there fees with inflation. so next year the way its going its gonna be like £9800-£10000 a year 

Maybe but it looks like you have to drill a hole in your laptop or something. don't get how it connects to the laptop

There is a hole in the monitor that it attaches to.  Most, if not all quality windows laptops come with the hole and lock mechanism in place.  I was actually talking about locking the monitor

Want to custom loop?  Ask me more if you are curious

Yeah they do. at least you didn't get screwed over. cause of BREXIT my uni is allowed to increase there fees with inflation. so next year the way its going its gonna be like £9800-£10000 a year 

Thats nothing compared to US, a friend is in the hole 50K usd a year

Just now, Damascus said:

There is a hole in the monitor that it attaches to.  Most, if not all quality windows laptops come with the hole and lock mechanism in place.  I was actually talking about locking the monitor

Oh okay yeah i get that. but for my mac thats gonna be a problem. I'm gonna go and see how my flatmates are and then i might get one. thanks for all the help

Just now, Damascus said:

Thats nothing compared to US, a friend is in the hole 50K usd a year

Its just stupid money. so much for thinking of the future of a country. bankrupting the future generations

1 minute ago, JWKelly99 said:

Its just stupid money. so much for thinking of the future of a country. bankrupting the future generations

Yup, I'm glad I live in Canada.  My college costs $2500 CAD per term or 5000 per year, including textbooks.  If I was going to uni that's about $6000-$13,000.  Our government straight up gives thousands in bursaries as well

Just now, Damascus said:

Yup, I'm glad I live in Canada.  My college costs $2500 CAD per term or 5000 per year, including textbooks.  If I was going to uni that's about $6000-$13,000.  Our government straight up gives thousands in bursaries as well

We don't get bursaries but we get loans. all dependant on your parents annual income though which sucks

We don't get bursaries but we get loans. all dependant on your parents annual income though which sucks

Same thing here, We get a combination of bursaries and loans with scholarships on top.  Not to disclose too much but most prudent canadians can leave uni/college with more money than they started with

17 minutes ago, Damascus said:

Bursaries are very rare, unless you're very poor or very rich (e.g. you have the free time to get a 4.2 GPA and do volunteer stuff).

I don't know about about your province but here loans are aren't that generous either. They count your parents' income, even if they don't / can't help you. 

Desktop: 7800x3d @ stock, 64gb ddr4 @ 6000, 3080Ti, x670 Asus Strix

Laptop: Dell G3 15 - i7-8750h @ stock, 16gb ddr4 @ 2666, 1050Ti 

1 minute ago, Raskolnikov said:

Bursaries are very rare, unless you're very poor or very rich (e.g. you have the free time to get a 4.2 GPA and do volunteer stuff).

I don't know about about your province but here loans are aren't that generous either. They count your parents' income, even if they don't / can't help you. 

I'm in architecture so maybe my bursaries are higher than standard and I come from a single parent household so maybe my view is a tad skewed :/

34 minutes ago, JWKelly99 said:

College for everyone has been oversold as an idea, and people are seemingly unfazed, despite the mounting evidence of a bubble. 

People who go to technical school are the ones making the big bucks. 

Desktop: 7800x3d @ stock, 64gb ddr4 @ 6000, 3080Ti, x670 Asus Strix

Laptop: Dell G3 15 - i7-8750h @ stock, 16gb ddr4 @ 2666, 1050Ti 

14 minutes ago, Raskolnikov said:

Yee, people just like me ;) Its archi/construction or anthropology soo....  moolah won

14 minutes ago, Damascus said:

I'm in architecture so maybe my bursaries are higher than standard and I come from a single parent household so maybe my view is a tad skewed :/

13 minutes ago, Raskolnikov said:

College for everyone has been oversold as an idea, and people are seemingly unfazed, despite the mounting evidence of a bubble. 

Same here. People are going to uni for the fun of it. They see it as free 3 years when in actual fact you pay it back and a lot more. People going to do fashion or zoology are just wasting there time. I get it for traditional or real emerging markets but who cares if you have a degree in fashion. If you can make clothes you can make clothes. You don't need a £60000 piece of paper to say you do. I know with me I wanna go into hedge funds and that sort of thing where in London you need a £60000 piece of paper to even be considered for an interview 

13 hours ago, sauce-c said:

As a current Economics Student I would suggest the following:

- A keyboard that you are comfortable typing on, macbook keyboards are not forgiving for long papers, trust me I'm in the same boat.

- A mouse for easier productivity.

- A laptop stand, these let you raise the height/change the angle of your laptop, usually save desk space, and make for more of a "workstation"

- Extra cables such as: HDMI, power extension, USB extension, AUX cord, etc.

- USB hub, charge all your devices from one hub on your desk, nice and easy.

- Headphones are a must have, passive or active noise canceling, in most cases they will do a better job at this than earphones and be comfortable for long study sessions.

- A quality calculator goes a long way, personally I use a TI-84+ silver edition, anything higher than that can restrict you on exams (at least here it can)

- Bluetooth speaker for study sessions, outdoor fun, small get togethers, etc. 

- Personally I also need something loud for my home, and TV speakers suck, so I use a 3.1 vizio sound bar which I use with my laptop, phone, desktop, tv and turntable. It's easy to transport and offers awesome sound without the bulk of a home stereo. 

- Extra lighting, either lamps, rope lighting, etc.

That's all I can think of for now, hope this helps!

Do you know of any good keyboards I can get?

37 minutes ago, JWKelly99 said:

Do you know of any good keyboards I can get?

If you have the budget I would get a mechanical keyboard from a reputable such as Corsair, Cooler Master, Gskill, etc. I cant say I know much about keyboards so someone else would have to chime in on this. 

CPU: Intel Core i7 8700k 3.7Ghz MOBO: AsRock Z370 Extreme4

RAM: Corsair Vengeance (4x4) Storage: Crucial MX300 275Gb | WD Blue 1Tb

GPU: XFX RS RX480 8Gb Case: Corsair 270R PSU: Seasonic Focus+ 750w

Monitors: HP 22cwa | BenQ BL2420PT  Cans: ATH-M50x 

A decent microphone so you can record any lectures, if your uni doesnt put them online afterwards. Saves having to take so many notes at the time and you can go back if youre unsure on anything, or maybe a camera with a decent mic do video it if they are doing visual stuff.

1 hour ago, IntMD said:

A decent microphone so you can record any lectures, if your uni doesnt put them online afterwards. Saves having to take so many notes at the time and you can go back if youre unsure on anything, or maybe a camera with a decent mic do video it if they are doing visual stuff.

I think my uni records the lectures themselves so i should be okay there

3 hours ago, sauce-c said:

If you have the budget I would get a mechanical keyboard from a reputable such as Corsair, Cooler Master, Gskill, etc. I cant say I know much about keyboards so someone else would have to chime in on this. 

Do I need a mechanical keyboard. I thought they were good for gaming and i have a mac so thats kind of a lost cause

18 hours ago, JWKelly99 said:

Hi,

In the summer I'm going to university to study Economics and finance. I was wondering if anybody had any suggestions for top tech to take with me. I've already got a mac (I know, I was dumb when i brought it but I was only 16). I've got around £1000 but can increase it. Need basic things like a new external HDD at least 1tb and thats about all I defiantly need but need suggestions of other things.

Thanks

I personally had only a laptop for university. I am really thinking if I should buy a tablet too

1 minute ago, Teddy07 said:

I personally had only a laptop for university. I am really thinking if I should buy a tablet too

Ive got an iPad mini 2 for the usability for password crsossharing and that kind of thing

Im thinking I'm gonna get a 2tb seagate drive and split it a few times. 500gb for time machine. 500gb for one drive and photo backups (not massive). 500gb for linux and 500 gb for windows. or do you guys think i should go for a 1tb and cut linux and windows? just learn to code on OS X?

5 minutes ago, JWKelly99 said:

Do I need a mechanical keyboard. I thought they were good for gaming and i have a mac so thats kind of a lost cause

Ah right, Mac compatibility. Personally I like the feel of my MBP keyboard for typing, and if you'd like to have an easy transition to another keyboard I would get the wireless Magic Keyboard from Apple. It's a 60% keyboard so it will save desk space, be easy to transport, and should give you a similar typing experience. However, for the price, I'd maybe look for a compatible third party keyboard from companies such as Logitech. 

Also, no, you don't NEED a mechanical keyboard, but many enjoy the gaming/typing experience of mech keyboards with switches such as Cherry MX Browns.

CPU: Intel Core i7 8700k 3.7Ghz MOBO: AsRock Z370 Extreme4

RAM: Corsair Vengeance (4x4) Storage: Crucial MX300 275Gb | WD Blue 1Tb

GPU: XFX RS RX480 8Gb Case: Corsair 270R PSU: Seasonic Focus+ 750w

Monitors: HP 22cwa | BenQ BL2420PT  Cans: ATH-M50x