Top Tech for University

1 minute ago, sauce-c said:

Ah right, Mac compatibility. Personally I like the feel of my MBP keyboard for typing, and if you'd like to have an easy transition to another keyboard I would get the wireless Magic Keyboard from Apple. It's a 60% keyboard so it will save desk space, be easy to transport, and should give you a similar typing experience. However, for the price, I'd maybe look for a compatible third party keyboard from companies such as Logitech. 

Also, no, you don't NEED a mechanical keyboard, but many enjoy the gaming/typing experience of mech keyboards with switches such as Cherry MX Browns.

Yeah. i think i might look at 3rd party cause ill get a new computer in the 2/3rd year and Ive already decided I'm swapping to a PC

3 minutes ago, JWKelly99 said:

Yeah. i think i might look at 3rd party cause ill get a new computer in the 2/3rd year and Ive already decided I'm swapping to a PC

Knowing that you'll be swapping to a PC in the near future, I suggest just investing in a nice mech keyboard that will last you 5+ years. Just do your research to see the pros/cons of using whatever PC keyboard you are looking at when its used on a Mac. There may be dual compatibility, I'm unsure I haven't done too much research on the subject. 

CPU: Intel Core i7 8700k 3.7Ghz MOBO: AsRock Z370 Extreme4

RAM: Corsair Vengeance (4x4) Storage: Crucial MX300 275Gb | WD Blue 1Tb

GPU: XFX RS RX480 8Gb Case: Corsair 270R PSU: Seasonic Focus+ 750w

Monitors: HP 22cwa | BenQ BL2420PT  Cans: ATH-M50x 

Knowing that you'll be swapping to a PC in the near future, I suggest just investing in a nice mech keyboard that will last you 5+ years. Just do your research to see the pros/cons of using whatever PC keyboard you are looking at when its used on a Mac. There may be dual compatibility, I'm unsure I haven't done too much research on the subject. 

Yeah ill defiantly have to look into it. don't really wanna spend much on a keyboard. just needs to be comfortable to type on and thats it really. don't care about backlit or anything

3 minutes ago, JWKelly99 said:

Yeah ill defiantly have to look into it. don't really wanna spend much on a keyboard. just needs to be comfortable to type on and thats it really. don't care about backlit or anything

Totally understandable, if you have a roommate (I did first year) backlight is very beneficial because you can see your keys without having to turn a light which could disturb them at night/in the morning. 

Honestly this is what I use right now because I haven't had extra money after my PC build, Linus has gone over this keyboard and mouse before. (At least the mouse, I think he went over a RedDragon keyboard as well) I don't know if the keyboard will give any compatibility issues with Mac, but for $25 its a hell of a combo. 

2 minutes ago, sauce-c said:

Totally understandable, if you have a roommate (I did first year) backlight is very beneficial because you can see your keys without having to turn a light which could disturb them at night/in the morning. 

Honestly this is what I use right now because I haven't had extra money after my PC build, Linus has gone over this keyboard and mouse before. (At least the mouse, I think he went over a RedDragon keyboard as well) I don't know if the keyboard will give any compatibility issues with Mac, but for $25 its a hell of a combo. 

I just looked at that and its £46 here. why is it so expensive in the UK for ?

Just now, JWKelly99 said:

I just looked at that and its £46 here. why is it so expensive in the UK for ?

Tariffs? Just kidding, I don't know, sorry to hear that man. Either way, its the principle, getting something cheap and half way decent as a "for now" thing can work lol.

Tariffs? Just kidding, I don't know, sorry to hear that man. Either way, its the principle, getting something cheap and half way decent as a "for now" thing can work lol.

Yeah. I'm gonna look for cheap keyboards. I don't have a roommate so i don't need to worry about the backlighting on the keyboard for that

Nothing. 

You don't need much for University. Actually, tech is a pretty huge distraction. 

You *might* need a computer. But often you can just borrow one at a library. And you might also need a fancy calculator. It's tech, no matter how primitive it seems. 

That's coming from someone who just finished 6 years of postsecondary education. Pen, Paper and people skills are your best tools. 

Just now, kokakolia said:

Nothing. 

You don't need much for University. Actually, tech is a pretty huge distraction. 

You *might* need a computer. But often you can just borrow one a library. And you might also need a fancy calculator. It's tech, no matter how primitive it seems. 

That's coming from someone who just finished 6 years of postsecondary education. Pen, Paper and people skills are your best tools. 

Fair enough