Top Tech for University

Hi,

In the summer I'm going to university to study Economics and finance. I was wondering if anybody had any suggestions for top tech to take with me. I've already got a mac (I know, I was dumb when i brought it but I was only 16). I've got around £1000 but can increase it. Need basic things like a new external HDD at least 1tb and thats about all I defiantly need but need suggestions of other things.

Thanks

1 minute ago, JWKelly99 said:

Hi,

In the summer I'm going to university to study Economics and finance. I was wondering if anybody had any suggestions for top tech to take with me. I've already got a mac (I know, I was dumb when i brought it but I was only 16). I've got around £1000 but can increase it. Need basic things like a new external HDD at least 1tb and thats about all I defiantly need but need suggestions of other things.

Thanks

What are your needs for the pc? will you be gaming? do you need a pc or is your mac fine?

Elemental 

Spoiler

Intel i5 6500 @3.8ghz - 8GB HyperX - 600w Apex PSU - GTX 1060 G1 GIGABYTE 6GB - s340 Black - 240gb Toshiba Q300 - Cooler master TX3i - MSI z170-A PRO.

Old Build (sold for 290€)

Spoiler

Intel i3 540 @ 3.9ghz (On stock cooler, Hits 80c max) - 8gb ram - 500w power supply - P7H55-M LE  120gb SSD - Talius Drakko case

Project Frug 50$ Water loop

Laptops

Spoiler

13" Macbook Air - Alienware m14x r2 -  2009 15" Macbook Pro (I was give all of these and would never buy them myself)

2 minutes ago, Julian5 said:

What are your needs for the pc? will you be gaming? do you need a pc or is your mac fine?

Nah this is fine for now. Might end up getting a dell XPS 13 or a Razer blade or something later into my degree but for now the mac is fine

3 minutes ago, JWKelly99 said:

Nah this is fine for now. Might end up getting a dell XPS 13 or a Razer blade or something later into my degree but for now the mac is fine

I guess some headphones and external SSD

Elemental 

Spoiler

Intel i5 6500 @3.8ghz - 8GB HyperX - 600w Apex PSU - GTX 1060 G1 GIGABYTE 6GB - s340 Black - 240gb Toshiba Q300 - Cooler master TX3i - MSI z170-A PRO.

Spoiler

Intel i3 540 @ 3.9ghz (On stock cooler, Hits 80c max) - 8gb ram - 500w power supply - P7H55-M LE  120gb SSD - Talius Drakko case

Laptops

Spoiler

13" Macbook Air - Alienware m14x r2 -  2009 15" Macbook Pro (I was give all of these and would never buy them myself)

1 minute ago, Julian5 said:

I guess some headphones and external SSD

You think an ssd over a hdd. I wanna teach myself to code while I'm there too is there anything that you'd recommend for that?

3 minutes ago, Julian5 said:

I think he means tech other than his main pc, seeing as he's suggesting an external HDD

5 minutes ago, JWKelly99 said:

Hi,

Thanks

Uh as far as handy tech:
- Decent length powercord / power squib. Either one for your accomodation, lots of plugs, Or one to take with you to classes.

- A decent mouse. I'm a Computer Scientist myself so lots of computer time, and my productivity is way higher if I got my MX Master with me. No idea how much Economics need to do on the computer.

- Headphones! Have a noise neighbour, play your favourite music trough your headphones. Noise cancellation and outdoor-capable (rainy bike rides to class) are advised.

- Speakers! Alternatively you bring some speakers with you. For chill background music in number crunching time (That's what I imagine students of Economics do) or to have a small party with. 

- Keyboard. Same as with the mouse & speakers. How much do you need to work on the pc.

That time I saved Linus' WiFi pass from appearing on YouTube: 

A sudden Linus re-appears : http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/390793-important-dailymotion-account-still-active/

Just now, JWKelly99 said:

You think an ssd over a hdd. I wanna teach myself to code while I'm there too is there anything that you'd recommend for that?

You can code on anything. Tbf most of my professors (Computer Science student myself) have a Mac. I've even had a professor that was running a Mac, and then running a virtual machine on it to get Linux...

As far as languages, I suggest Python. It's a mix between English and math notations.

Eg: 

for i in range(3):
	print "Hi this is " + i

To print
Hi this is 0

Hi this is 1

Hi this is 2

A sudden Linus re-appears : http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/390793-important-dailymotion-account-still-active/

4 minutes ago, JWKelly99 said:

Well it depends what you want to be coding,  Will you be doing any hardware coding? if so I recommend C# as its great for the ARDUINO.

Elemental 

Spoiler

Spoiler

Laptops

Spoiler

6 minutes ago, MrKickkiller said:

I think he means tech other than his main pc, seeing as he's suggesting an external HDD

Uh as far as handy tech:
- Decent length powercord / power squib. Either one for your accomodation, lots of plugs, Or one to take with you to classes.

- A decent mouse. I'm a Computer Scientist myself so lots of computer time, and my productivity is way higher if I got my MX Master with me. No idea how much Economics need to do on the computer.

- Headphones! Have a noise neighbour, play your favourite music trough your headphones. Noise cancellation and outdoor-capable (rainy bike rides to class) are advised.

- Speakers! Alternatively you bring some speakers with you. For chill background music in number crunching time (That's what I imagine students of Economics do) or to have a small party with. 

- Keyboard. Same as with the mouse & speakers. How much do you need to work on the pc.

3 minutes ago, MrKickkiller said:

You can code on anything. Tbf most of my professors (Computer Science student myself) have a Mac. I've even had a professor that was running a Mac, and then running a virtual machine on it to get Linux...

As far as languages, I suggest Python. It's a mix between English and math notations.

Eg: 

for i in range(3):
	print "Hi this is " + i

To print
Hi this is 0

Hi this is 1

Hi this is 2

Not massive computer work most of it will be on bloomberg so completely separate machine. I think ill get 2 separate drives and have the one to run linux and windows off and the other for backups and time machine etc. I've got one of the apple "magic" mice. its alright but again wish i got a PC instead. Some people I know have also recommended C++ and HTML 5.

Like you said about music i think thats a necessity as lots of essay writing so will have log study sessions. Do you know of any good external HDDs that i could get that won't break the bank but will be fairly quick?

Just now, JWKelly99 said:

Not massive computer work most of it will be on bloomberg so completely separate machine. I think ill get 2 separate drives and have the one to run linux and windows off and the other for backups and time machine etc. I've got one of the apple "magic" mice. its alright but again wish i got a PC instead. Some people I know have also recommended C++ and HTML 5.

Like you said about music i think thats a necessity as lots of essay writing so will have log study sessions. Do you know of any good external HDDs that i could get that won't break the bank but will be fairly quick?

How serious do you wanna get coding. C++ is not an easy language to slip into. And html is markup. You probably mean Javascript, but generally speaking Javascript is evil :) 

5 minutes ago, Julian5 said:

Well it depends what you want to be coding,  Will you be doing any hardware coding? if so I recommend C# as its great for the ARDUINO.

I don't really know. I don't drink so I imagine ill spend more nights in than the typical student so i plan to get through a few. Don't really know wheres the best to start though

Just now, MrKickkiller said:

How serious do you wanna get coding. C++ is not an easy language to slip into. And html is markup. You probably mean Javascript, but generally speaking Javascript is evil :) 

Sounds like ill be having fun but i guess who doesn't like a challenge ?

2 minutes ago, JWKelly99 said:

I've got one of the apple "magic" mice.

You seem to understand this already but I suggest you ditch the sketchy apple mouse.  Get an MX master, they are super mac compatible.

Want to custom loop?  Ask me more if you are curious

Just now, Damascus said:

You seem to understand this already but I suggest you ditch the sketchy apple mouse.  Get an MX master, they are super mac compatible.

Yeah. I was looking at some displays too to maybe have almost a base station but some are so expensive. Looked at the LG curved ones but there like £700. You got any suggestions for good monitors?

2 minutes ago, JWKelly99 said:

I don't really know. I don't drink so I imagine ill spend more nights in than the typical student so i plan to get through a few. Don't really know wheres the best to start though

python is a good start, I personally use alot of C

Elemental 

Spoiler

Spoiler

Laptops

Spoiler

1 minute ago, Julian5 said:

python is a good start, I personally use alot of C

What kind of applications would run python and also what text editor do you recommend. Preferably free ones if you know any

Assuming all you have is the laptop:

• A decent mouse. Bluetooth would be ideal so it doesn't take up a USB port
  • A travel sized surge protector
  • A VPN (I don't know what to recommend here, but either way, you should probably get one)
  • A thumb disk. Unless you have terabytes of stuff to stash, a thumb disk is easier to work with.
  • A good pair of earphones. Headphones are nice, but they're bulky.
  • USB hub or if your Macbook can support it, a Thunderbolt dock.
  • A power bank, if you have other USB powered devices.

The only thing I don't really recommend is electronics for note taking. Do it the old fashioned way. If you want to use something like Evernote, just copy your physical notes down at the end of the day.

What kind of applications would run python and also what text editor do you recommend. Preferably free ones if you know any

Notepad++

PyCharm (also free under evaluation, but you can get a license for opensource projects or just make an account with your uni email)

Python is a language you most likely need to install. Google for instructions. And then you can execute python scripts.

Just now, M.Yurizaki said:

Assuming all you have is the laptop:

• A decent mouse. Bluetooth would be ideal so it doesn't take up a USB port
  • A travel sized surge protector
  • A VPN (I don't know what to recommend here, but either way, you should probably get one)
  • A thumb disk. Unless you have terabytes of stuff to stash, a thumb disk is easier to work with.
  • A good pair of earphones. Headphones are nice, but they're bulky.
  • USB hub or if your Macbook can support it, a Thunderbolt dock.
  • A power bank, if you have other USB powered devices.

Ive just started Tunnelbear so I'm considering getting the paid version. whats a surge protector?

1 minute ago, MrKickkiller said:

Notepad++

PyCharm (also free under evaluation, but you can get a license for opensource projects or just make an account with your uni email)

Python is a language you most likely need to install. Google for instructions. And then you can execute python scripts.

What do you mean by having to install it?

What do you mean by having to install it?

https://www.python.org/

Have a look around.

Btw: Any of the previously mentioned languages (perhaps not C/C++) will need a small installation

1 minute ago, MrKickkiller said:

https://www.python.org/

Have a look around.

Btw: Any of the previously mentioned languages (perhaps not C/C++) will need a small installation

I will do and thanks. Do you know any decent monitors?

13 minutes ago, JWKelly99 said:

Yeah. I was looking at some displays too to maybe have almost a base station but some are so expensive. Looked at the LG curved ones but there like £700. You got any suggestions for good monitors?

Get either one of these

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/product/378H99/lg-monitor-34um88p

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/product/MRvZxr/lg-monitor-29um58p

Want to custom loop?  Ask me more if you are curious