Sort of unfit.

Aphexis

Well i don't know if i'm unfit but by my own standards yes i'm unfit.

Been too sedentry for around 3 years from a former Military soldier to just plain nothing.

I walked 8 miles today and my legs hurt, not massively but there was pain, and pain in my ass muscle too.

I'm 6 foot around 180 pounds, i'm not fat, not too muscular either, an athletic but strong build.

I covered 8 miles in 1 hour 46 minutes.

Am i unfit?

I feel it, but i'm used to much harder.

tl;dr, you're not unfit.

If you're actually a retired soldier, then yeah, your standards are gonna be a lot higher than regular folk. But unfit generally means people who are not in a healthy physical state. If you can walk 8 miles period, you're generally pretty fit.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

tbh, I haven't weighed myself in ages but last time I did I was 12.5st and I'm a little taller than you. I'm fairly lean, I have massive legs because I walk everywhere (probably do 7 miles of walking a day) and I regularly cycle. 

Carbs are always the enemy. Don't cut them out but reduce them, like if I'm buying an energy drink i'll go for monster zero rather than monster normal. 

Is the weight you've put on fat? Do you have a (slight) beer belly? Are you starting to get fat on your legs? 

DOMS (delayed onset muscle soreness) means you did something your body isn't used to do. Athletes also get it.

Desktop: 7800x3d @ stock, 64gb ddr4 @ 6000, 3080Ti, x670 Asus Strix

Laptop: Dell G3 15 - i7-8750h @ stock, 16gb ddr4 @ 2666, 1050Ti 

I'm 6'2" and 205lb (93Kg) and fairly fit (although less than I used to be). You're at a really reasonable weight, and it will take a long time to lose all your fitness from before. But it's probably worth getting in some light exercise, like a little half hour run every other day or something. You'll find it easier now than in 5-10 years when you really are unfit.

Laptop: Asus GA502DU

RAM: 16GB DDR4 | CPU: Ryzen 3750H | GPU: GTX 1660ti

11 hours ago, Aphexis said:

Well i don't know if i'm unfit but by my own standards yes i'm unfit.

Been too sedentary for around 3 years from a former Military soldier to just plain nothing.

I walked 8 miles today and my legs hurt, not massively but there was pain, and pain in my ass muscle too.

I'm 6 foot around 180 pounds, i'm not fat, not too muscular either, an athletic but strong build.

I covered 8 miles in 1 hour 46 minutes.

Am i unfit?

I feel it, but i'm used to much harder.

That pain was probably because your muscles were tight. Stretch. That's also a 13 minute or so mile which is pretty good for walking. I'd say you're fine, but establish something to keep it that way before you get to the place of not fine.

M1 MacBook Air 256/8 | iPhone 13 pro

Unfit is pretty relative.

Your height & weight ratio aren't bad, and 8 miles in an hour and 45 minutes isn't bad as that is a little over 4 mph which is a solid pace to maintain for a consistent period of time.

that being said you being a little sore after walking today may not be the end of it.  As someone that used to run daily, and would run between 3 and 10 miles depending on the day, i can tell you i can usually knock out a solid 1-1.5 miles after many months of being a couch potato with no problems.  However doing it again the second day is next to impossible as the soreness really sets in and my body simply hasn't recovered from that sudden amount of exercise.  

i think the overall question is.  Do you like the way you look in the mirror, like the way you are able to perform physical tasks, and are you willing to do something about them if you said no to either of the first two questions?

if you are looking for a kick in the pants you are a little too far away for me to do that, but i'm sure you can call up an old battle buddy who wouldn't mind doing it. 

I have a MASSIVE amount of stamina, regardless of pain i'm in so i can over do it too.

Just gotta get out more and get back to putting miles on my legs.

I'm not fat, i have a little bit of a belly but nothing major.

Thanks for some perspective guys.

Interestingly taking your info from here and looking through Google.

I'm above even what is considered fast.

https://forums.runnersworld.co.uk/discussion/comment/6797181/

13 minute miles are not easy, i generally find i struggle to walk at a slower pace, i feel off balance.

I'm used to doing sub 7 minute runs for 1 mile and half.

yea 4.0 mph for walking is a respectable pace.  When i warm up before running on a treadmill i usually do a quarter mile at 4 mph before i start actually running. I can't maintain that pace while walking though mainly because it's right at the cusp where i feel i should just be jogging instead of walking.  Now if i plan on doing any walking on the treadmill i just do it backwards so that even at a pace of 3.2 mph i am still sweating as if i were doing a slow jog. 

I think my absolute best 1.5 mile time was a flat 10 minutes; which was the second half of a 3 mile PFT where i did 11:49 for the first half. 

On 26.4.2017 at 3:05 AM, Aphexis said:

I have a MASSIVE amount of stamina, regardless of pain i'm in so i can over do it too.

Just gotta get out more and get back to putting miles on my legs.

I'm not fat, i have a little bit of a belly but nothing major.

Thanks for some perspective guys.

Just keep at it, Aphexis. You are doing great as far as I can tell.

Sadly, I have lost my old habits of rising early in the morning, 5:30 am, even in the weekends, walking to work using an excessive long route lasting close to one hour since I live only a ten minutes walk away from work, then do another long walk after work, and going early to bed, 9:30 pm-ish. It's time to return to those healthy habits.

The rest of the community should wish both Aphexis and myself good luck. :D

On 26.4.2017 at 2:46 AM, RGProductions said:

That pain was probably because your muscles were tight.

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡° )

I deal in shitposts and shitpost accessories.