Vector Desk Mini Review

this should be good.... 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

1 minute ago, Daniel644 said:

your supposed to post here before public listing on youtube

Happy Easter

He must be sleeping again

On 4/12/2017 at 2:55 AM, nicklmg said:

Well I was sleeping when the video came out, then I woke up briefly to post it to FPC, then went back to sleep because I was on like 3 hrs and had to be presentable to clients all day... Then I went to work and dealt with clients all day and forgot to post this thread until Anthony reminded me at like 12:30.

TL;DR I'm dumb and I forgot. The end.

2 minutes ago, Daniel644 said:

your supposed to post here before public listing on youtube

Happy Easter

Posting from the road since it's Easter and have family gatherings to be at. I posted it to YT as soon as the upload was ready for me. Thanks though.

Happy Easter

Just now, deXxterlab97 said:

He must be sleeping again

No just have real-life commitments sometimes on weekends :P 

oh its flimsy metal , but cheap
oh its 500$

i would pay 200$ at best 

but overall id rate it a perfect 5/7 

RyzenAir : AMD R5 3600 | AsRock AB350M Pro4 | 32gb Aegis DDR4 3000 | GTX 1070 FE | Fractal Design Node 804
RyzenITX : Ryzen 7 1700 | GA-AB350N-Gaming WIFI | 16gb DDR4 2666 | GTX 1060 | Cougar QBX 

PSU Tier list

Maybe LMG are sick of desk PC's now but it would be cool to see a collaboration with UpDesk on a adjustable PC desk. Perhaps a limited/niche product? or maybe an aftermarket solution?

Cool, but is $500 meant to be cheap?

You could buy a small desk for <$100 and just sit the PC on the floor next to it.

1 hour ago, nicklmg said:

Posting from the road since it's Easter and have family gatherings to be at. I posted it to YT as soon as the upload was ready for me. Thanks though.

Happy Easter

No just have real-life commitments sometimes on weekends :P 

How do you run the content flow? In one wan show I think Linus said for most videos there is a week buffer for (was vessel) FPC and then another week for youtube. (with timely evens going on both at the same time in most cases and projects taking longer time before they hit the buffer.)

(Especially for weekends/when OOO) I thought youtube had a release schedule feature/thing with the video have been uploaded/+processed earlier? Also would be good for you if there was a similar thing on the forums.

Just some thoughts. :)

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

What are you looking for?

It fails as a PC desk. I mean... you don't buy a pc desk for portability. They could have made fold out flap/leaves to function better as a desk. It fails at being small and fails at being large. Is there any way it doesn't fail?

If it had retractable legs or something maybe it could be worth it.

1 hour ago, gonvres said:

Cool, but is $500 meant to be cheap?

You could buy a small desk for <$100 and just sit the PC on the floor next to it.

But that PC would go in a case, though. PC cases reach ridiculous prices this days, and arguably, as a case, this is better than most.

Of course, you could get a $20 case and cheap desk, and forget about custom loops and glasses etc, but at that point you are no longer comparing the prices of similar things.

As the combination of a reasonably priced desk and an overpriced case (which seems to have become the norm), maybe 500 is not that far off.

My main problem with PC desks is leg room. I could survive with a cut-out like Linus has in the office, although I prefer more mobility overall (but then it wouldn't be a desk-PC :P) But this... Yes, it has that angle, but I doubt it's enough for comfort.

Other comments:

- I re-watched the relevant segment 3 times, and i still don't understand what the GPU-radiator problem was nor why anything needed to be dremeled-out.

-Not enough space for low sensitivity gaming? There's plenty of room to push your $10 keyboard under the monitor while you game on your mouse + G13... or did you buy one of those "gaming keyboards"? :P 

Hey guys, what specific ram speed did you go with for this build? 

18 hours ago, Space Reptile said:

oh its flimsy metal , but cheap
oh its 500$

i would pay 200$ at best 

but overall id rate it a perfect 5/7 

I honestly think it's  fair price. Worth it to you, or me for that matter? Nah, probably not. But it's probably the cheapest PC desk option out there, and matches the price of large niche cases like that. 

I honestly think a PC desk that's that small looks kinda dumb, but that's me. Someone is itching to buy this 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

What metric was used to determine that the size of the desk would negatively affect the size of the case? Even a "full" tower laid on its side would make a student sized desk and would fit two whole ATX M/B based PCs.

23 hours ago, SpaceGhostC2C said:

- I re-watched the relevant segment 3 times, and i still don't understand what the GPU-radiator problem was nor why anything needed to be dremeled-out.

I am pretty sure he was just talking about the aesthetics.  From the pump(?) to the block was not 90 degrees, more like 100 degrees so not a perfect right angle.  It would look a little off from above.  They could have dremeled the mounting holes for the pump a bit further forward which would have made a nicer 90 degree angle to the block.

i5-6600k @ 4.5ghz || XFX RX-480 GTR || 16gb DDR4 || Lots of SSD's.

On 4/16/2017 at 6:25 PM, SpaceGhostC2C said:

I think he originally had the card in the top slot, where it interfered with the in/out on the rad, but they showed the card in the 2nd slot during b-roll. Can definitely see how it was confusing given the visual reference.

3 hours ago, nicklmg said:

I think he originally had the card in the top slot, where it interfered with the in/out on the rad, but they showed the card in the 2nd slot during b-roll. Can definitely see how it was confusing given the visual reference.

Thanks, it certainly makes more sense in that case.

I know there was some people in the comments talking about 16x slots vs 8x slots for video cards. I just wanted to post this brand new video from Gamer Nexus still showing that a 1080 on 16x or 8x slot still doesn't make a bit of a difference.

6 hours ago, StevenMattera said:

-snip-

"Wow GamersNexus made a video about PCIe lanes, Linus Tech Tips did that years ago, GamersNexus is #outofideas"

Jk obviously... GamersNexus is :x nicest dudes.

Thanks for sharing that vid!!

7 hours ago, StevenMattera said:

I know there was some people in the comments talking about 16x slots vs 8x slots for video cards. I just wanted to post this brand new video from Gamer Nexus still showing that a 1080 on 16x or 8x slot still doesn't make a bit of a difference.

Even though, in a practical test, there seems to be no difference, I still would not use a 8x slot for a GPU. Especially in a scenario where the GPU was the only PCI-e device.

Can I get a complete parts list of the different computer parts without the desk. Thinking of coping it or improving it.

what is the model of the angle grinder he uses in this video. interested in purchasing on amazon if available

• 1 year later...

for those really on a budget just use my solution/ Linus' solution. build your own desk pc. mine was quite a bit simpler than Linus' and took 1 4*8 sheet of plywood ( I used 1/2 in but for future build would go with the 3/4) and 2 2*2 with a precut piece of glass from home depot. plus instead of mapping out all the standoff point I just drilled out all the rivets in an old case and just put the motherboard tray inside the desk. other build notes, salvaged front I/O from the old case and used a saw and file to fit them to front of desk with the rear I/O coming out underneath the desk behind the knee area with a cable cutout in the rear corner. power supply is mounted inside the build its exhaust as well as several other fans brings air in and out very effectively (dry ice test approved) all in all I couldn't be happier and the solid wood construction leaves it very quiet not even my ceiling fan on low is quieter and supper comfortable to sit at

20180826_141420.jpg

23 minutes ago, 13blackg said:

for those really on a budget just use my solution/ Linus' solution. build your own desk pc. mine was quite a bit simpler than Linus' and took 1 4*8 sheet of plywood ( I used 1/2 in but for future build would go with the 3/4) and 2 2*2 with a precut piece of glass from home depot. plus instead of mapping out all the standoff point I just drilled out all the rivets in an old case and just put the motherboard tray inside the desk. other build notes, salvaged front I/O from the old case and used a saw and file to fit them to front of desk with the rear I/O coming out underneath the desk behind the knee area with a cable cutout in the rear corner. power supply is mounted inside the build its exhaust as well as several other fans brings air in and out very effectively (dry ice test approved) all in all I couldn't be happier and the solid wood construction leaves it very quiet not even my ceiling fan on low is quieter and supper comfortable to sit at

20180826_141420.jpg

Seems like a great self-built desk!

Kinda making me want to do that someday :)

When the PC is acting up haunted,

who ya gonna call?
"Monotone voice" : A local computer store.

*Terrible joke I know*