Valve consults Total Biscuit & Jim Sterling

Guest Kloaked
Go to solution Solved by XenosTech,
3 minutes ago, Kloaked said:

Random question: which library layout do you personally use?

Think mine is default... I have to check when I get home from work

4 hours ago, VicBar said:

Dude I think you do not understand what Steam is probably doing... They are not "putting their decision making in the hand of 2 bitter, [...]". It's a fucking consulting Job. As the biggest curators with the largest groups of followers and lots of experience with the steam platform and the curation system they have very, very valuable perspectives on what is means to review games on steam. How meaningfull it is or not, how useful it is, or NOT, how impactful it is, or NOT... etc.

The post says they are trying to give the smaller curators more impact, not themselves the curating giants, this is pretty self-conscious. Also Valve probably wanted their input on the tools they have already set-up and ways to make them better or take things out that don't work.

I think no matter your opinions on these british pricks, they are more than capable of helping Valve make a better platform for Curators and trough them Game Consumers as well.

Yes, TB can be, and frequently is, an asshole, but he (and Jim) are pretty damn knoweldgeable and it would be dumb of Valve to not make use of them when they can.

You don't consult to ignore the consultant. You pay the consultant because you're accepting you're incapable or unwilling to do it in-house. Whichever is, is bad news for Valve as a company to consult on something so fucking basic like curating your fucking store.

-------

Current Rig

-------

Hard for me to say how I really feel about this. Steam is and has been a dumpster fire for several years now and personally I haven't spent a cent of money there. Mostly because of the severe issues with security and complete lack of end user support and communication from Valve. This reinforces that. Using these curators as ambassadors rather than communicating with your end users is an insult to us.

I have no qualms with Bain or Sterling. Mostly just Valve, and especially in this case. Though I shouldn't be surprised. 

5800X3D / ASUS X570 Dark Hero / 64GB 3600mhz / EVGA RTX 3090ti FTW3 Ultra / Dell S3422DWG / Razer Deathstalker v2 / Razer Basilisk v3 Pro / Sennheiser HD 600

2021 Razer Blade 14 3070 / iPhone 15 Pro Max

8 hours ago, Kloaked said:

No, it was that he was being a dick about it. I don't care about someone's political opinion being different than mine as much as other people do. While I'm very conservative by definition, I am open to ideas. What I am not open to is someone demonizing me for believing differently than they do and not offer any substance to back up what they say.

Because he acted that way, I don't like the idea of him having more curation control than before whatever that means. He may look like he's for the usual gamer on the surface, but John is an asshole and I would not want him deciding the direction of Steam curation.

To add to this, just look up "Trump" on Steam. There're a few games, and, while I don't have any experience with them myself, some of them're well-reviewed, indicating that they aren't crap.  When we give the banhammer to individuals with a clear axe to grind against Trump and his supporters/followers, who's to say that even decent games like these won't be banned? Even if he only has the power to recommend that these games should be banned because they're crap, there's the risk that Valve will just accept his word, not test themselves, and ban a decent game.

Royal Rumble: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/N3v3r3nding_N3wb/saved/#view=NR9ycf

"How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think." -- Adolf Hitler

"I am always ready to learn although I do not always like being taught." -- Winston Churchill

"We must learn to live together as brothers or perish together as fools." -- Martin Luther King Jr.

Funny how you think its weird they consulted the guy who pretty much single handedly showed greenlight for exactly what it was while creating its replacement.

You do know about Digital Homicide, right?

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

On ‎3‎/‎31‎/‎2017 at 6:07 PM, Master Disaster said:

Funny how you think its weird they consulted the guy who pretty much single handedly showed greenlight for exactly what it was while creating its replacement.

You do know about Digital Homicide, right?

Funny how you assume my grievance with this is wrong. Please read the rest of the replies in the thread.

5 hours ago, Mooshi said:

Who the F listens to Jim Sterling?

Millions of people every single day, that's why he's able to run an entirely ad free business and provide ad free and monetary free content every day of the week.

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

3 minutes ago, Kloaked said:

Funny how you assume my grievance with this is wrong. Please read the rest of the replies in the thread.

I didn't assume any grievance though. I said I find it funny that you think its weird Valve would consult Jim Sterling given everything he's done surrounding greenlight and been though with DH.

As for TB, well he is a trained lawyer.

3 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

I didn't assume any grievance though. I said I find it funny that you think its weird Valve would consult Jim Sterling given everything he's done surrounding greenlight and been though with DH.

If you would have read my previous posts, you would know my stance on TB specifically. I didn't pay too much attention to Jim except for a handful of his videos and the times he's been in TB's show. He comes across to me as someone who cannot be rational, just like John.

John being a trained lawyer doesn't make him holier than thou. He's still a moron.

2 minutes ago, Kloaked said:

If you would have read my previous posts, you would know my stance on TB specifically. I didn't pay too much attention to Jim except for a handful of his videos and the times he's been in TB's show. He comes across to me as someone who cannot be rational, just like John.

John being a trained lawyer doesn't make him holier than thou. He's still a moron.

I didn't mention tb till my second post because I actually agree with you about his arrogance but he is still very good at providing honest and relevant feedback on any given subject. He just does it in a condescending way.

so you dont like this because you dont like his personality? well good luck finding a good surgeon that isn't self-centered and is a bit of a douche to do your surgery. who cares what their personalities are if they know what they are doing

On 31/03/2017 at 11:13 PM, Master Disaster said:

He's not a trained lawyer.

2 hours ago, spartaman64 said:

so you dont like this because you dont like his personality? well good luck finding a good surgeon that isn't self-centered and is a bit of a douche to do your surgery. who cares what their personalities are if they know what they are doing

That's not the fucking point. Please read the rest of the thread.

On ‎4‎/‎1‎/‎2017 at 1:02 AM, Misanthrope said:

You don't consult to ignore the consultant. You pay the consultant because you're accepting you're incapable or unwilling to do it in-house.

sorry.

if you are thinking that two non-professionals in consulting services such as Jim Sterling and Total Biscuit are going to leave a 50 page report of findings and recommendations on Gabe Newell's desk which he is then gonna implement via his employees then you have a big imagination.

more likely this is a method of getting more perspectives, more feedback, and throwing up more ideas. I am pretty sure it would have been merely a lively, lengthy discussion.

maybe if everybody in this thread would take an hour while making dinner and listen to TB explain all about his meeting with Valve, people would be more understanding. j/s

Ensure a job for life: https://github.com/Droogans/unmaintainable-code

Actual comment I found in legacy code: // WARNING! SQL injection here!

1 hour ago, Humbug said:

sorry.

if you are thinking that two non-professionals in consulting services such as Jim Sterling and Total Biscuit are going to leave a 50 page report of findings and recommendations on Gabe Newell's desk which he is then gonna implement via his employees then you have a big imagination.

more likely this is a method of getting more perspectives, more feedback, and throwing up more ideas. I am pretty sure it would have been merely a lively, lengthy discussion.

The detail doesn't means their input, even if presented in an informal and unorganized way, won't be weight heavily into future considerations. You seem to be claiming they cannot possibly come up with too bad of an idea, that was not my point: My point is that Valve, a company that primarily runs a fucking store today, should be able to know how to run a fucking store without any outside help.

-------

Current Rig

-------

Just now, Misanthrope said:

The detail doesn't means their input, even if presented in an informal and unorganized way, won't be weight heavily into future considerations. You seem to be claiming they cannot possibly come up with too bad of an idea, that was not my point: My point is that Valve, a company that primarily runs a fucking store today, should be able to know how to run a fucking store without any outside help.

It's almost like they have customers constantly sending feedback on what Valve is doing wrong or right. If Valve wants to genuinely fix their services, they need to fucking hire more people to work on customer experience.

1 minute ago, Kloaked said:

It's almost like they have customers constantly sending feedback on what Valve is doing wrong or right. If Valve wants to genuinely fix their services, they need to fucking hire more people to work on customer experience.

You mean their 20 employees isn't enough?!

>oh look something about valve consulting TB and JS?

>opens thread

>...

>hello darkness my old friend...

The Internet is the first thing that humanity has built that humanity doesn't understand, the largest experiment in anarchy that we have ever had.

1 minute ago, Kloaked said:

They're getting google syndrome: Fix the problem of lack of humans with bots, and when they crap out roll out more bots and double down on automated crap and hire even less actual fucking human beings.

-------

Current Rig

-------

1 minute ago, Misanthrope said:

They're getting google syndrome: Fix the problem of lack of humans with bots, and when they crap out roll out more bots and double down on automated crap and hire even less actual fucking human beings.

Ha. I don't think they're as bad as Google but they're getting there.

21 minutes ago, Kloaked said:

Ha. I don't think they're as bad as Google but they're getting there.

Well yeah it's hard to put em on Google level given the current shit show on youtube and the advertisers leaving: Now THAT is an epic fuck up.

-------

Current Rig

-------

On 3/31/2017 at 5:58 AM, Misanthrope said:

What the fuck is this a reality tv show?

Hey, you wanna watch U.S. Politics with me?

Follow the topics you create using the "Follow" button in the top right corner!

One day I will have my GTX 970. One day. PC specs are at my profile.

Not sure how to check what part works with what? Check out my compatibility guide!

4 hours ago, Morgan Everett said:

He's not a trained lawyer.

Yes he is, he isn't accredited to practice but he did finish a law degree.

... Guys I think this needs to calm down.
I am 99% sure they wanted to talk to Jim Sterling because he knows all about Asset flip games, and constantly points them out. Cause you know its a great thing we have 50 Unit Z asset flips on the store front.
Or how about games that lack executable files - Thats happened multiple times.
Or games that aren't even games, as much as someone just made it so a character can walk around on screen.
This is the kinda stuff I see Jim pointing out all the time, and its not a bad thing that Valve is finally admitting that these kinds of things need to stop, and asking the biggest curators their opinions on how to stop such low effort, scam, or unfinished "games" from getting onto the store front.

I highly doubt they are going to "ban trump positive games" or whatever paranoid shiznaz some people are making of this.

2 hours ago, Master Disaster said:

Yes he is, he isn't accredited to practice but he did finish a law degree.

Even if that's true, it still doesn't change the fact that he's a pillock.