8K is here...in Japan

TopWargamer

http://sploid.gizmodo.com/8k-tv-films-arrive-to-japan-and-they-feel-like-looking-1464050347

Watching Ultra HD 4K content—with 2,160 lines of vertical definition—on a Ultra HD 4K TV set is impressive. But 8K—four times the total pixels—is so incredibly realistic that it feels like you're looking through a window into real life, as demonstrated by this outstanding experimental film screened by the Japan Broadcasting Corporation (NHK).

Its name is The Chorus, a choral drama filmed with a still camera that looks into a Wes Andersonian building cutout. According to Kaleem Aftab, watching it is an incredible experience.

What was immediately striking was that the image was so crisp that it was possible to distinguish the leaves on the trees in the background. Rather than making the image seem flat, the clarity gave the picture a depth hitherto unseen on digital projections. The colors were also magnificent. The whites and blacks were stunning.
The 8K resolution covers almost the entire range of vision (induced visual field) which influences the human grasp of spatial coordinates. The pixel structure remains invisible to the unassisted eye even when viewed across a horizontal angle.

I really wish companies would start pushing 4K and make 4K TVs and monitors more affordable for everybody instead of doing 8K so soon, but hey, there needs to be a foundation for everything, right? Don't get me wrong, 8K is awesome and all, and trust me, I do want it, but it's not going to become affordable for at least another decade or 2.

COMIC SANS

8K when the hardware we have now can barely support 4K? Really? I understand that it's awesome that the display industry is chugging along, but even a 3-way sli 780Ti rig couldn't run a 8K display at playable framerates. 

Motherboard: MSI Z97S Krait Edition █ CPU: Intel i7-4790K █ GPU: Nvidia Geforce GTX 780Ti █ RAM: 8GB AVEXIR DDR3 1600  █ Storage: 120GB Kingston HyperX SSD + 1TB Seagate Barracuda HDD 

█ Monitor: 21.5" 1080p 60Hz  PSU: 700w █ Case: Fractal Define R4 █       ...LTT Dark Theme master race.

Project MiniConsole

Hell, we can't even handle 1080p on cable and satellite networks, and they think pushing 8K is a good idea? Fat chance. Call me when H.268 is the standard. :P

Case: Fractal Design Define R3 | MoBo: ASRock Z77 Extreme4 | CPU: Intel Core i5 3570k @ 4.6GHz | CPU Heatsink: COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 EVO | GPU: MSI R9 280X @ 1150/1700  | RAM: 8GB (2x4GB) Corsair Vengeance DDR3 @ 1600MHz | Sound Card: ASUS Xonar DG | SSD: Crucial M4 128GB | HDD: Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB (WD1001FALS)

I don't think the idea is 8k for gaming, it is for movies/tv etc. If the cable industry would get off their fat profits and actually invest in infrastructure, we would have room for up to 8k!

Now I can experience nature without getting eaten by a bear! :D

I like the color scheme of Noctua fans. Deal with it. Forget about the bad memories of the past.

"wunder you really are as straight as a rainbow" - Lanoi "can I fisterino your nose" - WunderWuffle

Forget about the bad memories of the past, take the good ones along with you through the present, and look forwards to the good things that will come in the future.

I really don't think 8K would do gaming much good. Let's face it, the 8K panel manufacturers are going to be making 50+ inch panels for 8K, no one will be making a 24 inch panel for PC's and also, the hardware we would require to run 8K smoothly is not coming anytime soon

Mirror's Edge 2. One day.

8k is for console "gamers"! They will be able to play on 8k TV unlike us poor PC Gamers on 1080p or 1440p [/sarcasm]

<p>Eryi's Action Rule#2 - "Dont jump on the green mushroom"

Ministry of StopIt!

8k wat, that's extra quality must be awesome to watch in

# -_-     [Planned RIg AKA Project ARES    -_-#

| AMD FX-8350 4.0GHz 8-Core | Be Quiet DARK ROCK 2 57.9 CFM Fluid Dynamic Bearing | Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z  |G.Skill Ripjaws X 8GB Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM |Samsung 840 Series 250GB 2.5" SSD | Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 3GB  |Fractal Design Define R4 w/Window (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower|Gelid Solutions Silent 14 PWM 74.5 CFM 140mm x3 |Corsair RM Series 750 Watt ATX/EPS 80PLUS Gold-Certified Power Supply|

|Rosewill RNX-N250PCe | Windows 8  | Acer H236HLbid 23.0" |Corsair Vengeance K70 
Corsair Vengeance M65 Wired Laser | STEELSERIES QCK Black|Sennheiser HD 558Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer         

Don't think you will be able to realize between 4K and 8K imo on a regular monitor but I could be wrong about this. Cards can't really handle 4K why are they making 8K already. Just want 4K to be cheaper now. But great that they are making higher resolution screens to make images more sharper.

Hello and Welcome to LTT Forum!

If you are a new member, please read the rules located in "Forum News and Info". Thanks!  :)

Linus Tech Tips Forum Code of Conduct           FAQ           Privacy Policy & Legal Disclaimer

How about we work on being able to max out games at 1080p before we move on to 4K

Never trust a hug. Its just a way to hide your face - The Doctor (Sounds something like the grumpy cat would say)

japan already has 2gb/s down and with all the companies deploying fibre this could be a thing except for us poor Australians that have an idiot prime minister and to all the people saying Pcs cant handle 4k now etc ever heard of cloud computing? Nvidia Grid? companies are developing technologies for this cloud computing will be a thing linus has said it and thats how we will drive these insane resolutions!

<rant>

why why why  is everyone thinking of 8K gaming? Hell naw we're not even close! 

He's saying 8K is ready as in "transition to 8k media is taking initiative in Japan only"... Plus, Japan had this on plan for quite a long time now (I've heard of them prepping to do 8K work early this year) so... if you're gonna keep whining (for the lack of better term) about how you can't play games at 8K and stuff, push media to 8K first then 8K gaming in like 10~15 years...

I didn't hear anybody b****ing about 4K resolution when they went to IMAX for a movie... So why b**** about 8K now?

Sorry about the </rant>

This isn't for gaming guys... stop talking about it in regards to PC hardware, it's for media consumption only at this stage. Also, it's not even available to consumers yet, therefore it's not really 'here' even, just a glimpse at what it would be like in say 10 years.

Japan has had 4k for a long time iirc, but at this stage, not for consumers but it was shown off a long time ago.

Intel i7 3770k, Maximus V Formula, 32GB G.Skill 1600MHz RAM, ASUS DCUII GTX 670

they don't even say the size of the screen that was being used. if it was 5" then anything would look reallistic on it over 640x480 :P

Aragorn (WS): 250D | 6800k | 840 Pro 512GB | Intel 530 480GB  | Asus X99-M WS | 64GB DDR4 | Corsair HX720i | GTX 1070 | Corsair H115i | Philips BDM4350UC 43" 3840x2160 IPS

Gimli (server):  Node 304 | G4560 | ADATA XPG SX8000 128GB | 2x 5TB WD Red | ASROCK H270M-ITX/AC  | 8GB DDR4 | Seasonic 400FL

Omega (server):                 Fractal Arc Mini R2 | i3 4130 | 500GB Maxtor | 2TB WD Red : Raid 1 | 3TB Seagate Barracuda | 16GB RAM | Seasonic G-450w
Alpha (WS): 900D | 4770k | GTX 780  | 840 Pro 512GB  | GA-Z87X-OC | Corsair RM 850 | 24GB 2400mhz | Samsung S27B970D 2560x1440

||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

8K when the hardware we have now can barely support 4K? Really? I understand that it's awesome that the display industry is chugging along, but even a 3-way sli 780Ti rig couldn't run a 8K display at playable framerates. 

I think that for 8K, 3-Way SLI Titans will be MORE BETTER than 3-Way SLI 780Ti because of the 6GB of VRAM.

AMD FX-8350 // ASUS Radeon R9 280X Matrix // ASUS M5A97 Pro // Corsair Vengance 8GB 1600MHz // Corsair RM850 PSU //  WD Green 2TB // Corsair H60 // Cooler Master Elite 430 // KBParadise V60 MX Blue // Logitech G602 // Sennheiser HD 598 + Focusrrrrite 2i2 + MXL V67 // Samsung SyncMaster 245BW 1920x1200 // #killedmywife  #afterdark  #makebombs #Twerkit      "it touches my junk"   linus 2014

Hell, we can't even handle 1080p on cable and satellite networks, and they think pushing 8K is a good idea? Fat chance. Call me when H.268 is the standard. :P

Japan is ahead in many things, a standard isp there is 500mbps and sony has a 3gbps isp there. Im sure the average person is watching naruto in 4k.

cpu: intel i5 4670k @ 4.5ghz Ram: G skill ares 2x4gb 2166mhz cl10 Gpu: GTX 680 liquid cooled cpu cooler: Raijintek ereboss Mobo: gigabyte z87x ud5h psu: cm gx650 bronze Case: Zalman Z9 plus

Listen if you care.

Cpu: intel i7 4770k @ 4.2ghz Ram: G skill  ripjaws 2x4gb Gpu: nvidia gtx 970 cpu cooler: akasa venom voodoo Mobo: G1.Sniper Z6 Psu: XFX proseries 650w Case: Zalman H1

who cares? bring on 16k! NAOW!

Specs of my PC:

CPU: AMD FX 8350  Motherboard: Gigabyte 990XA UD3  GPU: Gigabyte GTX 770 Windforce 2GB  HDD: WD Green 2TB SSD:  Corsair Force GT 120GB SSD RAM: Corsair 8GB(2X4) PSU: CoolerMaster G650M

I just made a mess in my trousers because of this hardware pr0n. Excuse me for a minute.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

This is quite awesome. IMAGINE a 32" 8k monitor. You wouldn't even think of AA :D, rather you will think about how much each body part of yours is worth xD...

Anyways I want one :D.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X 12; GPU: GeForce RTX 3080 Gigabyte Vision OC V2 10GB; PSU: EVGA 750W 80+ Gold Certified; RAM: 4x32GB (w/RGB xd); SSD: 1xM.2 Samsung 980 Pro 1TB, 1xM.2 Samsung 970 Pro 1TB, 1xWD 6TB HDD; OS: 10; Monitor: 2xAorus IPS 27" (2560x1400)Keyboard: Corsair K95; Mouse: Mionix Naos 7000 w/ Steelseries QcK mousepad.

Laptop - HP Omen 15" w/5800U, GPU 3070, 1TB M.2 WD Black, 16GB RAM.