Those Mass Effect System Recommendations Were For 30fps

Guest Kloaked
On 3/10/2017 at 0:46 AM, HarryNyquist said:

30FPS is playable whether you want to admit it or not.

I feel like I'm constantly in the minority when I say I'd rather have a stable 30FPS than an unstable 45-67FPS. The drops in framerate are far more noticeable than the less-smooth motion.

i had this argument earlier with someone, they continued to tell in short and essence that "if you play under 60fps you are a shame to the pc community. your poor and a console peasant and that if you want to be a PC gamer you need 60fps because 30fps is laggy"

30fps is fine, and completely playable. id like higher yes, but hey if the game is freaken awesome like the trilogy then idc its mass effect its awesome

Just now, Bouzoo said:

BTW launch trailer is out

i don't need a army, i have a krogan!.

xD haha Wrex and grunt were awesome, i hope drak is just as cool.

i loved how Wrex asked Tali had she been practicing the reloading trick he showed her (back in ME3) in the citidel DLC n he talks about how he really worries about her n cares about his little Quarian, haha the big murder machine has a big softspot for his fam. you dont mess with wrex.

Oh btw, seeing Drak is 1400Yrs old. people, this means at least Rex could still be alive as of ME3 he was only 700 :D

35 minutes ago, Scionyde said:

Regarding FTL scanning, the final briefing trailer mentions: "Eventually, the initiative obtained promising data from quarian explorers who claimed to have found a geth array on the fringes of the Perseus Veil. This array was supposedly built from three mass relays using sensors in the combined relay corridor as a form of FTL "telescope" to observer dark space beyond the galactic rim. Why the geth expended so much effort to study dark space is not known. Amongst these observations were near-contemporary surveys of Andromeda." Honestly, I think that's probably the best non-retcon explanation you could give for FTL scanning in the ME universe. It surprised the hell out of me when I read it because like you, I was assuming Bioware was choosing to forget what was a semi-obscure part of their canon.

Great, so they swapped out the science fiction for science fantasy. This makes no sense whatsoever. No explanation for how that would work, since essentially as far as we know the Mass Relays are basically giant catapults. Not to mention that they have limited range. If there is no Relay out there that could even take you the entire distance across the milky way, Andromeda surely is out of the question. Lets not even mention accuracy, which has always been an issue when traveling through Mass Relays: keyword drift.

But let's be charitable for a moment and say that they could somehow use this array to intercept light coming in half-way between Andromeda and the milky way. Now your information is still outdated by about 1.25 million years.

Not to mention that according to the lore, matter that is inside a relay corridor can not interact with matter outside of it. That extends to all manner of energy, including light and the information said light carries. Otherwise activating dormant Mass Relays wouldn't be as much of an contentious issue within the politics of the Mass Effect universe as it is. Remember the first contact war? That was pretty much started over humanity activating Mass Relays willy nilly and the Turians taking issue with that.

If what was proposed here was actually possible, you would just have to activate a relay, do a scan, and if you find something nasty, just shut it down again.

[EDIT]

Remember that the codex in ME 1 actually made mention of the fact that you can no observe your surrounding universe as soon as you go FTL. The codex described fleet maneuvers between fighting ships as a constant cat and mouse game where ships constantly jump in and out of FTL to dupe their enemy, since you can not scan anything as long as you are in FTL flight, but everyone who is traveling at sub.light speed can see your blue-shifted emissions bright as day. Fleeing ships jump, attacker calculates where they are jumping and follows, fleeing ships drop out, change course and jump again, attacker now has to figure out again where the fleeing ships are going. This continues until the fleeing ships can no longer be found (this is what usually happens according to the codex) or the attacker manages to catch up with them and somehow manages to force them into a fight.

[/EDIT]

And you would think that discovering such an array and the increased insight into the Mass Relays (remember the fact that the Mass Relays were essentially giant black boxes, since no one wanted to mess with them. No one knew how they really worked) that it provides would've made the news at some point in the series.

Again, just write in whatever and don't give a shit about what has been established.

[EDIT]

Also, water and ice. Water AND ice.

WATER!

AND!

ICE!

FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF...

I deal in shitposts and shitpost accessories.

6 hours ago, Sakkura said:

Source says 7750, but maybe that's just a typo.

Probably a typo since the requirements I checked had 7850 written.

2 hours ago, BloodyWaters said:

Which is better:

1. Not optimizing a game and getting little sales.

2. Spending some time optimizing the game and getting more of the monies. 

Which would you rather do:

• Tell your boss or the publisher you need just a little more time to polish the game (like you did the last few times) and risk the ire of the publisher and the community expecting your game
  • Release the game anyway. EDIT: With the full disclosure that there are problems, that those problems are fixable or you at least have an idea of what's going on.

The software development world is a lot more complex than you think. If you run with the idea of releasing software "when it's done", you're just setting yourself up for disaster.

Edited by M.Yurizaki
Forgot one important bit.

Not trying to troll, but seriously, it feels like everyone botched about every new game that comes out. Yes, I don't want 30 FPS, but I'll also wait for the game to come out. I thought it was in the same engine as BF1, in which case we should expect similar results, No? Not even The Division is that bad on the same engine.

Many people seem to hate the story line already because nothing about the initiative was mentioned in ME2 or ME3... so what? Afraid of something new?

As long as they don't turn the franchise into an abortion like COD, everything should be just fine.

Spoiler

Quarians are on the Turian arc?

Not watching any of the Let's play things so far. I want my first play through to be a complete blunderfest. :P

1 hour ago, Urishima said:

Great, so they swapped out the science fiction for science fantasy. This makes no sense whatsoever. No explanation for how that would work, since essentially as far as we know the Mass Relays are basically giant catapults. Not to mention that they have limited range. If there is no Relay out there that could even take you the entire distance across the milky way, Andromeda surely is out of the question. Lets not even mention accuracy, which has always been an issue when traveling through Mass Relays: keyword drift.

But let's be charitable for a moment and say that they could somehow use this array to intercept light coming in half-way between Andromeda and the milky way. Now your information is still outdated by about 1.25 million years.

Not to mention that according to the lore, matter that is inside a relay corridor can not interact with matter outside of it. That extends to all manner of energy, including light and the information said light carries. Otherwise activating dormant Mass Relays wouldn't be as much of an contentious issue within the politics of the Mass Effect universe as it is. Remember the first contact war? That was pretty much started over humanity activating Mass Relays willy nilly and the Turians taking issue with that.

If what was proposed here was actually possible, you would just have to activate a relay, do a scan, and if you find something nasty, just shut it down again.

And you would think that discovering such an array and the increased insight into the Mass Relays (remember the fact that the Mass Relays were essentially giant black boxes, since no one wanted to mess with them. No one knew how they really worked) that it provides would've made the news at some point in the series.

Again, just write in whatever and don't give a shit about what has been established.

[EDIT]

Also, water and ice. Water AND ice.

WATER!

AND!

ICE!

FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF...

Like you say, mass relays are essentially black boxes, so their capabilities are vague. Just because relays themselves project a mass-free corridor of limited range doesn't mean that the limited range from one relay to another is their maximum capable one. That's probably why the explanation here is that you have 3 relays rigged together somehow to extend the reach of the corridor. Maybe you're able to extend the reach of the corridor if you're not actually sending mass through it and are only transmitting light. Would I be more comfortable with the idea if the Geth had kidnapped a couple more relays to account for the 2.5 million LY distance? Yeah, probably. 

Is there a source on matter inside a relay corridor not being able to interact with light outside the corridor? From what I've read, I've always assumed the relay produced a corridor with an "opening" of some kind on one end and an "opening" of some kind on the other. Presumably, the relay telescope opened a corridor and kept it open while some sensing device moved inside the corridor just far enough to receive readings from the other end. I do agree that the implications of such a discovery would be huge. The only (admittedly weak) explanation I can think of is that the extent of the Geth's modifications to their 3-relay telescope (and there probably were some modifications made because relays probably weren't designed to be used like this) weren't fully understood. It sounds like the quarians came across this telescope near the Perseus Veil, which meant they couldn't stick around for long. The inhabitants of Citadel space are probably unwilling to tinker much with their own relays.

Ultimately, we come back to the unfortunate truth that we're having to start with a premise first, then explanations to make the premise feasible second. I do think Bioware has really gone down in quality over the years (I think ME3 as a whole, not just the ending, is a mess) but I can sympathize with the challenge of making Andromeda work when they've written themselves into a corner in a few places from the original trilogy. And for the most part, I think they're certainly stretching canon (sometimes perilously thin) but not necessarily breaking it. (EDIT: To perhaps put it another way, I think there's room(technobabble) to provide explanations for these items to make them work on some level)

(Man this might the nerdiest post I've ever written. On a techie forum, no less!)

Water and ice makes perfect sense! What are you talking about! She's clearly talking about meth! ;) (Yeah I have no idea how so many people screwed up to let that mistake pass by)

EDIT AGAIN: Maybe the phrasing was meant to be: "water (ice)" and not "water, ice". No idea, man.

15 minutes ago, Ryujin2003 said:

Not trying to troll, but seriously, it feels like everyone botched about every new game that comes out. Yes, I don't want 30 FPS, but I'll also wait for the game to come out. I thought it was in the same engine as BF1, in which case we should expect similar results, No? Not even The Division is that bad on the same engine.

Other games based on Frostbite 3 include Battlefields 4 and 1, Star Wars Battlefront, Mirror's Edge Catalyst, and Dragon's Age Inquisition. Basically all recent EA games that aren't FIFA (edit: maybe even FIFA). Those games account for a wide range of different performance expectations. As this is another Bioware game, it will probably run more similiarly to DA:I than BF1, which is one of the worst-performing examples of Frostbite 3.

The Division uses an engine called Snowdrop. As far as I know, Frostbite 3 is owned by EA and not licensed out, and The Division is an Ubisoft title.

1 hour ago, ArcThanatos said:

30fps is fine, and completely playable. id like higher yes, but hey if the game is freaken awesome like the trilogy then idc its mass effect its awesome

I rather chose not to play the game at all with 30 fps.

More bad games. Should i stick to 1080p when i get my 1080ti. Overkill it just to hit 60 if im lucky. Hell going 1440p or even 4k hate to see the fps :(

And this is why im not sure on upgrading to 1440p. Cant play Mass Effect 4 at 20 fps at 1440p lol. 

42 minutes ago, typographie said:

Other games based on Frostbite 3 include Battlefields 4 and 1, Star Wars Battlefront, Mirror's Edge Catalyst, and Dragon's Age Inquisition. Basically all recent EA games that aren't FIFA (edit: maybe even FIFA). Those games account for a wide range of different performance expectations. As this is another Bioware game, it will probably run more similiarly to DA:I than BF1, which is one of the worst-performing examples of Frostbite 3.

The Division uses an engine called Snowdrop. As far as I know, Frostbite 3 is owned by EA and not licensed out, and The Division is an Ubisoft title.

Sorry you're right with Division, it's Snow Drop engine, my bad.

Isn't Dragon Age an older title? I would imagine we would have improvements since then.

3 minutes ago, Ryujin2003 said:

Sorry you're right with Division, it's Snow Drop engine, my bad.

Isn't Dragon Age an older title? I would imagine we would have improvements since then.

Dragon Age Inquisition is from 2014. I'm sure there have been improvements, but my best guess is if you want to compare Mass Effect Andromeda's variant of Frostbite 3 to any other existing game, DA:I is probably the best point of comparison. That's what we've seen most recently from Bioware using this engine.

Battlefield 1 is a newer Frostbite 3 game, sure, but that's DICE, using a different version of the engine meant for a different sort of product entirely.