Car Shopping...Need Advice Car Wiz's

ddbtkd456

Haha. I know I know its a tech community, but there was alot of car people around here when I was around more. So lets see if someone has some input. Currently I have a 2009 Chevy Impala with 156000 miles on it I plan on trading in when I move here this season. I was thinking of getting either one of these two cars:

2015 Nissan Altima 3.5 SV w/ Navigation. Pro's: heated everything for winter, navigation, good gas mileage, among other things. cons: no AWD.

2014 Ford Fusion Titanium with the 2.0L I4 Turbo engine. Pro's: AWD, navigation, spacious, good gas milage. Con's: Not heated everything.

Problem is I am looking more to which is a reasonable car and why, like I'm asking people who may own them or for opinions. Basically I need a family car for my next car and I want to know which is safer, and ect ect, and what your opinions are. Thanks.

If you've previously won the build off please pm me so we can get something worked out.

Alright.  To let you know the positives of the Ford is the Turbo 4.  It is quite good on the fuel economy as long as you stay off the boost (aka don't floor it all the time though it is fun to) but the down side is they tend to require a higher grade of fuel.  But it does break even in the long run on that part.  Other down side is maintaining it is a little more expensive but not to bad in all honesty.

The Nissan has a really good v6 but you lose fuel economy.  It is a very comfortable car and can handle quite well in the snow.  (I'm originally from South Bend IN and used to drive all the time up there with a multitude of vehicles)  Down side to the nissan is from my own perspective....not built as well as they used to be.  Most of the Altima's I see down here in South Florida are actually losing the clear coat on the paint, panels rattle like your driving a car from the 70's and well...its not a Maxima.

Between the two I would personally go for the Ford.  I think its over all a better vehicle.  And I'm not a ford guy.  My brand was discontinued so I now have to find a new home for myself. (Saab guy here who's now driving a 2013 Dodge Dart Rallye edition with the 1.4 Turbo 4 banger)

Current Build

AMD Ryzen 2600

Stock cooler

Asus ROG B450f gaming Mobo

1tb SKHynix m.2

WD 1TB HDD

Asus ROG Strix RX 5700xt

Thermaltake Toughpower 650w DPS RGB 80+Gold

16 Gigs ddr4 3000 gskill ram

Phantek fans

Phanteks P400TG

Laptop

Eluktronics Prometheus XVII

Ryzen 7 5800h

32 gigs ddr4 Corsair ram

Nvidia rtx 3080 max-p

17.3 qhd 165 hrz screen

1tb Samsung m.2

1tb WD black m.2

What kind of budget are you looking at, and I take it you're going for pre-owned?

Doing a quick look at some prices (discounting that I have no idea your location), you could probably swing a 2013ish G37x for around the same price as your equivalent Altima. Gets you a slightly better overall car and AWD option for winter. Personally I drive a G35x, so I'm a bit biased.

But ultimately, the Ford is an okay option as well. If you're only picking between those two options, I would take the Ford. 

34 minutes ago, Zusafek said:

...its not a Maxima.

Maxima isn't a Maxima anymore. I have a 5.5 gen (yes, she's getting old) and I wouldn't consider any of the newer models. And damn them for killing the manual gearbox.

Oh, and I'd buy the Ford.

Malo Periculosam Libertatem Quam Quietum Servitium

58 minutes ago, divito said:

What kind of budget are you looking at, and I take it you're going for pre-owned?

Doing a quick look at some prices (discounting that I have no idea your location), you could probably swing a 2013ish G37x for around the same price as your equivalent Altima. Gets you a slightly better overall car and AWD option for winter. Personally I drive a G35x, so I'm a bit biased.

But ultimately, the Ford is an okay option as well. If you're only picking between those two options, I would take the Ford. 

I was looking for right around the 18,000 dollar max, I would have a higher one but I have to get my fiance a Toyota Camry as well. How are the repairs on the G35x tho, just curious since I know Audi and higher end cars have higher repair costs as well.

If you've previously won the build off please pm me so we can get something worked out.

Repairs in general will be a little higher depending on the parts. There are the odd parts that you can only get from Infiniti, so that could drive up certain repairs, should you run into those issues. 

I got mine used, and I've only had to put about $2000CAD into it over the last 4 years. That includes doing the brakes, an axle boot that was torn and dry (my fault), a bearing, and a solenoid, as well as consistent synthetic oil changes. But full disclosure, I drive the absolute hell out of it; hard on acceleration, brakes, plow through snow and snow banks, etc... But I'll take it, it's a fun car to drive on top of being practical. 

If you got one a newer one with decent miles, and drove it a little more respectfully than I do with mine, you'd probably avoid any serious issues with it.

o.O I just saw a used G37 for sale with a real honest to god gearbox!  

Too bad I'm broke. Might as well be an M6 Grande Coupe. I can still only look at the pictures and drool.

Back to putting new struts on my aging Maxima...

6 minutes ago, divito said:

Repairs in general will be a little higher depending on the parts. There are the odd parts that you can only get from Infiniti, so that could drive up certain repairs, should you run into those issues. 

I got mine used, and I've only had to put about $2000CAD into it over the last 4 years. That includes doing the brakes, an axle boot that was torn and dry (my fault), a bearing, and a solenoid, as well as consistent synthetic oil changes. But full disclosure, I drive the absolute hell out of it; hard on acceleration, brakes, plow through snow and snow banks, etc... But I'll take it, it's a fun car to drive on top of being practical. 

If you got one a newer one with decent miles, and drove it a little more respectfully than I do with mine, you'd probably avoid any serious issues with it.

I like them but I might consider it if it had 4 doors. :P carseats aren't fun in coupes.

I'd get the Ford but that's because I dislike Nissans that much, always had terrible experiences with them and I find they develop more problems.

Well lets be clear 18000 to 19000 is my limit i really dont car on the car so much as long as it has 4 doors and awd for the winter, alot of traveling will be done. I prefer sedans tho. Found a catty tho. 

17d7e7859f595ab1f09cd4cb777.jpg

8 minutes ago, AlwaysFSX said:

I'd get the Ford but that's because I dislike Nissans that much, always had terrible experiences with them and I find they develop more problems.

Communist. :-p

2 minutes ago, Corrupt_Liberty said:

And sweet Jesus don't buy a Cadillac. 

I know they are riddled with wiring problems, same reason I will not buy a charger or a Lincoln anymore. Also thought about both of these as well.

4ad9ff53b35c238d67c9068ea7b.jpg

2ec3828945ba7827efea9dc1ffe.jpg

47 minutes ago, Corrupt_Liberty said:

Communist. :-p

How does that make me a communist?

3 hours ago, AlwaysFSX said:

How does that make me a communist?

It doesn't.  But I like Nissan and have to give you some kind of shit.  It was late, guess I couldn't come up with anything better.  

12 hours ago, ddbtkd456 said:

I was looking for right around the 18,000 dollar max, I would have a higher one but I have to get my fiance a Toyota Camry as well. How are the repairs on the G35x tho, just curious since I know Audi and higher end cars have higher repair costs as well.

They tend to have the highest reliability scores among all manufacturers. (Up there competing with Lexus and Toyota). I think general maintenance is going to create the biggest ding in your wallet.

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

As a guy who lives in upstate NY: AWD > Heated everything. Period. No If's, And, or Buts.

Side note, just bought my first car not that long ago. 2016 Ford Focus ST (fwd) They're good cars. 

Snapchat-726745726.jpg

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

I'd go AWD over heating. There really aren't many options for AWD sedans (other than the Germans). I'd go with the Ford. 

System: Thinkpad T460